Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grow plants on above ocean lvl obisidian island  (Read 408 times)

UristMcTuco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grow plants on above ocean lvl obisidian island
« on: April 21, 2024, 05:50:25 am »

Hey there,
I just routed a lava flow over a bridge out into the ocean to create an artifical island.
That worked well, although it is a pain in the ass to connect that island to the ocean floor with enough adjacent tiles to build a staircase between them.

Whatever my actual problem is that I hoped it would be possible to water the artifical obsidian surface and make plants grow on it. I mean real plants, not just farm plots.
Turns out that this is not possible?!

First I ran into the problem of the water only drying up completly if its covered by a roof.
But then the muddy floor doesnt change, I tried exposing it to sunlight again after the water dried up, but no luck.

The last thing I could think of would be to house in the muddy floor completly, maybe it needs to be enclosed?

Is there any hope for the to grow plants on my artifical island?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Grow plants on above ocean lvl obisidian island
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 07:08:14 am »

It's an ocean biome, so (without modding) you won't be able to grow plants there.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 12:22:21 pm »

To add, farm plots wouldn't work either.  Oceans just don't support any vegetation at all.  (Obviously this doesn't apply to underground tiles below the ocean; these can grow fungi.)

UristMcTuco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 03:20:49 pm »

mmh, ok

I am wondering how that is defined. I mean, the island consist of at least one layer of obsidian. If I dig a cave into that its sand which also does not overgrow.

I did not yet succeed in making a full contact to the ocean floor in order to build a staircase, but thats just a matter of time.
If I dig through I wonder which would be the first layer to overgrow.

I am about to find out I guess.

UristMcTuco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 03:39:22 pm »

haha, there would be just more 2 water tiles to turn into obsidian before I finally break through, but gess what after 10 succesful years 5 marsh titans, some goblin attacks and a bridge build across the ocean consisting of 7000 glass blocks... I somehow screwed up my food supply and now everyone is starving.

Everybody hunts for vermin and nobody cares butchering some of the animals.
The bridge is not even fully finished. Its functional and connects a to complete new uninhabited continent... but I guess its for another group of dwarfs to finish the task of making that ocean fortress.

FUN i guess :D

If I abandon the fortress now I can embark again there right?

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 02:20:05 am »

Of course.  About the underground, it's every tile that was never exposed to sunlight, basically (wiki article).  Ocean down to its floor started as above ground, and so it will remain, even after the obsidian casting.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 02:50:50 am »

I am wondering how that is defined. I mean, the island consist of at least one layer of obsidian. If I dig a cave into that its sand which also does not overgrow.

Map tiles that are defined as ocean biomes will remain such even if you cast obsidian on it.

The wiki says about biome generation:
Biomes are calculated for each region tile (the center map when choosing an embark), then noise is calculated and applied which causes the irregular region boundaries on the local map. For the most part, a region's biome is a factor of elevation, drainage, rainfall, and temperature, as explained in this old forum thread for 40d.

When determining the biome, elevation comes first; any terrain with an elevation of 0-99 is ocean, while any terrain with an elevation of 300-400 is mountain. All other biomes lie in between these two extremes. The remaining base biomes are determined by the combination of drainage and rainfall.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 05:51:07 pm »

There may be an option allowing you to farm above the ocean...

There used to be, and probably still is, a problem with the "air" above having a different biome than the ground level (or in this case, the ocean level). It may be that all you need to do is build up from your obsidian platform and muddy some floor tiles there, then it may grow surface plants. This will depend on what the biome above is, as it may be more ocean...

Patrik Lundell had a ShowBiomes lua script that would allow you to see what the biomes in the air were. I'm not sure if it works with the current version.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

UristMcTuco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 04:31:08 pm »

Confirmed of what you have said now. I mean it was never really about farming, I just wanted a green island.
But theres another thing, if I retire and come back to that fortress all of the dug out tiles of the created obsidion turn into water again.
So without a clever solution to remove the water from the access to the fortress I cant really claim it back later. Propably its also not accesible in adventure mode.