Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moved sand source dissapears  (Read 795 times)

UristMcTuco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moved sand source dissapears
« on: April 14, 2024, 02:47:40 pm »

I wanted to make glass with magma furnaces. My fort is just on level -5 and the magma on level -120.
On my fortresses lvl are some sand tiles and i didnt want to bother pumping magma up.
So i dug a huge empty space below the sand down where the magma is. I then dug out all tiles around the specific sand tile and it successfully dropped down to lvl 120.
So far so good, but after making 100 glass blocks the sand tile disapeared.
I never have done much glas before so I dont know wether this is normal.

Wiki does not mention sand tiles running out?!
It does mention that when sandbags are dumped from a specific menu that the dwarfs will just dumping the bags leaving useless piles of sand behind.
I am asking myself if that is what happened? But the sand I got down wasnt useless.

Another thing which I find interesting is that there are just 9 more z levels. So far i have never breached completly through the Adamantine veines, but I think this is not much space for the HFS? Or is this just one layer down there?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Moved sand source dissapears
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 07:18:34 pm »

What did the sand turn into? Grass? Usually you build a grate (or walkable workshop tile) over it to stop that from happening.

I think 9 levels is enough? I forget if you're blocked from scrolling deeper until it's revealed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 07:23:46 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

UristMcTuco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 05:36:49 am »

Just the floor it was before. I think it was granite.
The sand tile was from lvl -5, no sky above and it was never exposed to the outside.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 07:13:48 am »

So it reverted to the layer material?  Curious, this should only happen after a significant tile change (e.g. building and deconstructing a wall, or growing and cutting down a tree).  Maybe sand tiles exhausting themselves are a new v50 feature.

Anyway, instead of a cave-in it's simpler to spread some mud onto the stone near the magma, wait until cave moss grows, then build a road or otherwise remove the growth, and the local soil type should be left behind, sand in your case.
(or walkable workshop tile)
That actually didn't work for me in v47.05, moss etc. still grows under workshops built on soil.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 03:15:16 pm »

I thought soils dropped by cave-in always turned into the layer appropriate soil. Are you sure you didn't hav some already collected sand that they were using? Although 100 blocks seems like a lot for that to be the case.

And that is what the wiki says:
Falling soil will change into the soil type at the layer it falls to, or the lowest type on the map if it falls into the stone layers.

Maybe they were still collecting from above and you only later noticed that the dropped soil changed when it was dropped?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 03:22:13 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 07:14:09 pm »

There was a bug that changed stone tiles into sand. I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite could happen.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 04:15:27 am »

Also, not sure about sand, but I found it more convenient to collect clay from nearby unmined walls rather than clay floor, because you must build a road/etc. on the floor to keep it from being overgrown, and walls are safe from that.  More importantly, it's impossible to designate a stockpile over said road; but if you have the clay stockpile right over the collecting zone, dwarves will just pile unlimited clay there (so it's quantum), and then it can be linked to somewhere else (a track stop dumping clay into a vertical chute, in my case).  I initially tried to put a small ordinary stockpile nearby, but it was filling up quickly and required more overall hauling.

Of course, it's impossible to get soil walls with the mud trick, but since you went for a cave-in anyway, might as well drop a wall next time (if there are still any left above your tunnel).  Whatever caused your sand floor to vanish probably won't erase the entire wall!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 05:16:53 am »

Also, not sure about sand, but I found it more convenient to collect clay from nearby unmined walls rather than clay floor, because you must build a road/etc. on the floor to keep it from being overgrown, and walls are safe from that.
The trick we use is place a floor grate on the clay tile to prevent moss from growing, and it still allows collecting.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 07:28:14 am »

The trick we use is place a floor grate on the clay tile to prevent moss from growing, and it still allows collecting.
Last I checked, stockpiles over grates aren't possible either, at least not in v47.05.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 06:21:23 am »

What did the sand turn into? Grass? Usually you build a grate (or walkable workshop tile) over it to stop that from happening.

Came here looking for an answer to this problem specifically, walked away satisfied.
Thanks Bumber!

UristMcTuco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2024, 01:30:39 pm »

I am so sorry guys, I posted my question and did not return to the savegame till yesterday.
It seems like I was all wrong and it was just overgrown.
Sorry for me beeing stupid.

But hey, at least I know the trick with the floorgrate now. I did not know before