Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can my dorfs see artifacts through a clear glass floor?  (Read 1145 times)

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
Can my dorfs see artifacts through a clear glass floor?
« on: March 13, 2024, 05:30:51 am »

In my current fortress, Charmedsacks, I reached a point where if an artifact was made, it would be stolen. Even right out from under the noses of a squad set to train in the same room, with war dogs chained next to the displays.

So inspired by Dagoth-ural's thread about their dragon terrarium over on that there Reddit, I made a vault with a clear glass ceiling, a magma moat and a glass bridge, then built gold pedestals all over the island and moved all of my (non-usable) artifacts into said vault.

I was hoping that dwarves in the temple zone above would be able to see the artifacts through the glass floor and get happy thoughts, but so far, I've not seen a single thought from temple occupants regarding the artifacts in the room below. Which is a tad annoying, as there's even some divine objects amidst the legendary clutter.

Can my dwarves even see the artifacts, and if so, are they considered to be too far away to get a happy thought from? The vault's on the z-layer immediately below the temple.

Oh, and one of the artifacts, the only one that was never stolen, is a bag of cherry pits. Most definitely a "Charmed Sack".

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Can my dorfs see artifacts through a clear glass floor?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 08:28:22 am »

Regardless of how they may appear in Graphical mode, walls and floors are always completely opaque and block all line-of-sight calculations regardless of their material. The same applies to doors, floodgates, bridges, and floor hatches, but not windows, floor/wall grates, or vertical/floor bars.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 11:00:51 am »

Awwww, shame.
Thanks for the answer though Quietust, much appreciated.
Edit: and thanks for listing the things that can be seen through! I'm already thinking about adding strategically placed grates above each pedestal.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:03:44 am by Mungrul »

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 01:14:59 pm »

Wiki says pedestals only work when the dwarf walks directly over them, so the grates probably won't help.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 05:40:10 am »

Yeah, that scans. I installed grates last night, but still no happy thoughts.
Ah well, at least the vault looks nice and is a stupidly valuable location.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 08:07:16 pm »

Can things be stolen through vertical bars if you place them in a sealed room?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.