Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculously persistent light aquifer - water from nowhere  (Read 1591 times)

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've run into an issue with stemming the flow of water from an aquifer that a large minecart passage travels through. Despite all of the walls being constructed (no damp stone is exposed), and all of the floors being smoothed or constructed, the water keeps coming. Am I missing something about holding back aquifers?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculously persistent light aquifer - water from nowhere
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 04:52:01 pm »

Look up. There is probably a tile above that is light aquifer, and dropping the water. Nothing changed about aquifers except the rate of water flow.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 05:09:43 pm »

Look up. There is probably a tile above that is light aquifer, and dropping the water. Nothing changed about aquifers except the rate of water flow.

The water is appearing in places where it would be impossible to flow from, though, like far away from the upward passage.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 05:47:09 pm »

The water is appearing in places where it would be impossible to flow from, though, like far away from the upward passage.
And what is in the z-level directly above the places where water is entering? If it's not smooth/constructed floor or wall, it's going to leak.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 06:25:04 pm »

As Shonai_Dweller said, the floor of an aquifer leaks through to the level below (it basically drips from the ceiling). The level immediately beneath an aquifer cannot be used (unless you have means to deal with the water, of course). This means it's rather messy to make mine cart passages through an aquifer, as you need to use ramps, and it's going to leak from the ceiling of those ramp tiles unless you've secured those.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 07:27:15 pm »

I didn't know that about aquifers, I thought they only leaked on their own z-levels.

After digging out the space above the problem seems to be solved. Thanks!