Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mugs for starting dwarves  (Read 2859 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mugs for starting dwarves
« on: May 08, 2020, 06:19:58 am »

Hi there,

I did a bit of searching and it seems like mugs are tricky to store correctly. Here's what I found:

Dining room
stored in stockpile - works
stored in coffer - does not currently work

Tavern
stored in stockpile - works
stored in coffer - works but only if you have personnel serving the drinks

Since I only have seven dwarves right now, I don't want to use one of them as a tavern keeper yet. So stockpile is my only option? Any ideas about less space-consuming storage?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mugs for starting dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 07:28:43 am »

The advice you'll get most often, including from me, is to not store them at all. Dwarfs will drop them on the same tile as (or very near) the container they drink from when they finish, where the mugs will be convenient for the next dwarf who wants one. The only down side is the blinking that items do when sharing a tile.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 07:41:58 am »

I second mightymushroom's opinion. If you use staffed taverns, provide the number of mugs you need in their containers, but let the rest of them be used and dropped where the booze is. Similarly, don't stockpile toys (unless it's junk to be sold), but rather let the kids move them around as they want (and consider burrowing the kids so they don't play on the battlefield after picking up "new" clothes).

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 05:15:19 pm »

Seems also when the mugs are fabricated at the workshop and there are too many of them to store them in the workshop itself, then the mugs will be dropped in a adjacent room without use of a pile   
Correct me if i am wrong. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 08:26:40 pm »

You're wrong. The mugs will just stay in workshop and it gets cluttered. If they're out of workshop, somebody removed them or workshop was deconstructed.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 12:58:53 am »

The only down side is the blinking that items do when sharing a tile.

Pretty sure the mugs will also prevent new booze from being stored on their tile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 01:43:43 am »

If they're out of workshop, somebody removed them or workshop was deconstructed.
Thanks
That could be the case , because i got in a early stage a intruder (HH? ) and that creature has destroyed some workshops
DF world is never be the same and this time a unexpected hostile visitor

Now i must take precautionary measures to let not happen this again and got some ideas by making distracting
rooms filled wth traps.
Block also the main entrance in a mountain with some cages and there is also some more sophisticated defence.

Update: no the mugs were placed on a foodpile (overloooked the foodpile )
When  a workshop is destroyed then the mugs are dropped on a foodpile and if there were no foodpiles then dropped somewhere. 

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:39:40 am by janamdo »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 07:12:22 am »

The only down side is the blinking that items do when sharing a tile.

Pretty sure the mugs will also prevent new booze from being stored on their tile.

Yes, I forgot about that. My bad. Mugs and other loose items can prevent a stockpile space from its intended use.

I haven't had a problem because of this in my own games; it seems that thirsty dwarves pick up the mugs and move them to a tile that already has booze pretty quickly. (Last fort most of my mugs ended up at the Still, because my haulers weren't as fast to task the booze as the alcoholics.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 07:54:52 am »

You'll only get an issue with mugs blocking barrels if you have a rather small booze stockpile or a large number of mugs, and the still will still act as a backup location, as mentioned.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 12:27:24 pm »

You people have booze stockpiles? I just leave it all in the still. Even a fully cluttered one running 24/7 by unskilled brewers can supply 100 or so dwarves.

Only downside of that is that booze barrels that end up in weird places (like ones dropped by attacked caravans) stay where they are, potentially leading dwarves to drink from dangerous areas.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 01:34:02 pm »

Right, loose item blocking. I don't think that happens here:

||

Made 3 cobaltite mugs, placed them in finished goods: mugs stockpile, edited stockpile to be booze stockpile instead and made it take from still and boozepile: Barrel was stored on tile with mug.

(tested in 44.09)

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 02:17:28 am »

You would need a lot of mugs to clutter a workshop. You do not have to worry about that in a starting fortress.

If you have only one place to drink, sharing stockpile with drinks might work. I still do not think it is a good idea.

Dwarves often drink at still or even at depot: wherever they can find booze. Haulers will not always bring booze in time to the storage.

Disable goblets in your general good stockpile. It generates a lot of jobs to store if you don't. They will be dropped where used and save walks next time. Besides it looks much cooler with all the mugs and goblets on the barrels.