Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 459116 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #5730 on: September 26, 2023, 01:16:33 am »

Although resonator basses have been around for at least a decade it seems, apparently people didn't really use them much or at least it wasn't popular until recently.

Do you mean wobble basses or something else? Pretty sure those have been around since late 80s or at the very least since the 90s. There was this one quite popular track from a Levis ad (iirc) that had one (Mr Oizo - Flat Beat).

But yeah, in more mainstream music they're quite a new thing.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: September 26, 2023, 02:16:44 am »

Do you mean wobble basses or something else?

No, resonator basses are something else. I'm not the best at explaining this but basically resonators make use of comb filters to bring out a note within a sound and all of its harmonics. Basically you could make any non-tonal sound into something tonal. Give an atonal drum sound tonal color and turn it into a chord, etc. Put it on an atonal dubstep growl and you suddenly have a tonal, melodic-sounding growl. Afaik they are fairly new in production, and Color Bass utilizes them a ton - it's sort of what defines the genre, although stuff is constantly evolving and new techniques have arisen to make similar sounds in a different way (using convolution impulse responses, for example).
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: September 26, 2023, 02:44:34 am »

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: September 27, 2023, 03:44:44 pm »

A new track by a friend of mine!

Celestric - Rainbows

You can hear some of the resonator sound throughout the track (especially during the drop, although the sound design here is so amazing I don't actually know how a lot of it was made haha)
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: September 29, 2023, 10:31:56 am »

The soundtrack for Sons of the Forest is dope. Lots of pure instrumental tracks, homage tracks for rock, alt rock, synthwave.

But this is my absolute favorite: Fire In The Night.

It's kinda the perfect fusion of late 80s/90s hair band rock, alt rock and modern edgy sensibilities.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 11:11:33 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: October 02, 2023, 01:21:51 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: October 02, 2023, 05:04:47 pm »

Clamavi De Profundis in general, mostly known (by me  :P) for really great singing of songs from LOTR books. In particular, their four Negankerdak songs, about 30 minutes long in total. Subject is as banal fantasy as it gets, but song itself made me teary-eyed at several points with how amazing it was.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: November 04, 2023, 03:39:09 am »

Clamavi De Profundis in general, mostly known (by me  :P) for really great singing of songs from LOTR books. In particular, their four Negankerdak songs, about 30 minutes long in total. Subject is as banal fantasy as it gets, but song itself made me teary-eyed at several points with how amazing it was.
I've only really listened to their religious music. Here's something in honor of All Souls' Day.

De Profundis by Clamavi De Profundis
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: November 24, 2023, 10:11:35 am »

Laufey’s voice is so goddamn beautiful, it nearly makes me cry. I can’t cope with how layeredly perfect it is. It’s like watching in anticipation as shining chocolate sauce pours slowly down a rich chocolate cake, and then slowly eating the cake.

edit:
okay, maybe I’m overhyping her a little, reading that back
still damn good, though
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 10:38:52 am by Laterigrade »
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: December 03, 2023, 07:38:27 am »

incapable of putting This Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We down, Mitski’s voice is just amazing, especially when she puts strong emotion into it

the hint of menace and wrongness, too, in the midst of melancholy, is perfect; it’s like some kind of flipside of the songs I got into OK Computer through
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: December 08, 2023, 09:59:36 am »

stumbled on Seb Lowe’s music, whose lyricism is just excellent, I cannot overstate how good it is
very much a social issues/critique artist, if you don’t mind that sort of thing, and he does it very well, mixed in with some other more standard emotional stuff
I can’t really pin down a cohesive genre summary, but if I had to it’d go somewhere in the middle of rock
bool IsARealBoy = false

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: December 08, 2023, 12:07:30 pm »

A new track by a friend of mine!

Celestric - Rainbows

You can hear some of the resonator sound throughout the track (especially during the drop, although the sound design here is so amazing I don't actually know how a lot of it was made haha)

I really liked this, tell your friend good job :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: December 11, 2023, 05:32:04 pm »

Say what you will about how Warhammer 40k: Darktide is going. But the soundtrack has the blessing of the Emperor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1K5gM_2ggI
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: December 13, 2023, 01:30:12 pm »

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: December 15, 2023, 04:06:42 pm »

Bit enamored with Vulkan lately.

Here's Nyxoma which just happens to be a banger and has repeating motifs with the next two songs, Captain Syracuse and RUSMTSIM. Love me some repeating musical motifs. Gimme themes across an album/soundtrack and elaborate on them! Mmf!

I haven't really figured out their Observants album, but Mask of Air and their latest, Technatura, slap.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385