Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10979 10980 [10981] 10982 10983 ... 10988

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13441179 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164700 on: April 20, 2024, 12:39:59 am »

... so, uh, is the wtf coming from just having found out about that, or...?

'Cause, like. That's kinda' been the state of animal/intelligence testing for as long as there's been such.

If there's ever an argument against uplifting critters, it's that they might end up holding a grudge over the everything we've done to their ancestors, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164701 on: April 20, 2024, 01:08:09 am »

It was more about an article advocating for less cruelty to animals because they feel pain, and it seems those same scientists are proving their point by cruelly inflicting pain on animals. Although it's probably two different groups of scientists.

There was also a brief misunderstanding about sentience vs sapience on my part.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164702 on: April 20, 2024, 04:23:39 am »

I mean we’re putting more effort into thinking about it than the readers/viewers of that nonsense will.

Wasn’t totality a thing for all of four minutes?

Now, see, my first assumption was along the lines of "The eclipse will make it a lot darker, so them im'grints will try to sneak across when we can't see 'em!", but it really wouldn't surprise me much if the narrative being presented was "Our American sun is even more specialer than the one found anywhere else"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164703 on: April 20, 2024, 08:07:57 am »

We already knew that animals were 'sentient' though.  The part we need is just how capable various animals are of remembering, learning, and projecting that sentience.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #164704 on: April 20, 2024, 09:48:06 am »

Sentient = aware of the world
Sapient = acts like a person

The latter implies the former but not vice versa.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164705 on: April 20, 2024, 12:26:35 pm »

Sapience coming from the latin word for Wisdom, which is totally something that humans have.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #164706 on: April 20, 2024, 09:14:49 pm »

Sapience coming from the latin word for Wisdom, which is totally something that humans have.
And the word "forum" also comes from Latin but I don't think we're in a Roman marketplace.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164707 on: April 20, 2024, 11:26:58 pm »

It has been my observation that the people who are the most vocal about animals not having sentience are the people who have a strong opinion about human-centrist ideals, with an emphasis on "humans first".

this is not meant to be an attack, more that there seems to be a synergistic bias that re-enforces in both directions with such people.

They also tend to not interact meaningfully with animals on any kind of regularity.

Conversely, you often find radical notions of "Animal Personhood" in people with the opposite bend in their personality (see for instance, the more rabid members of PETA.)

I approach it from the perspective of somebody that grew up out in the boonies, who interacted with a large variety of animals regularly. "No shit." is my reaction to the news of "Scientists discover animals have internal worlds and are aware of the present and future" rhetoric.  I've known that for years.  Are they 'people'? No. They do not have the impulses or interests of people. They do not, and will not, act like people.  Are they aware of their situations? Yes. Do they have emotions and form emotional attachments with each other (and people)? Obviously-- look at the separation anxiety dogs have.  Of course they do. Are they aware of causes and effects? Absolutely-- Pavlov's dogs being able to be classically conditioned is empirical proof of this, and it has been known for almost a century now. 

Some wild animals even exhibit indications that they have theory of mind for other creatures that are not like themselves-- For instance, squirrels and crows will actively watch other living things for eye contact, and will engage in deceptive behavior when storing/caching foodstuffs, or collecting interesting objects.  They are very much concerned that you are interested in what they are doing, with emphasis that they are worried you will steal their nuts/shinies.

As such, my reaction is "And science is only just now starting to actively realize this, ---- because?"

My only explanation, is that there are such systemic biases toward human-centrism hard at work, preventing the long laundry list of findings stretching back over a century, from sinking in.  Mostly because accepting that reality, would mean changes in habits of personal consumption and behavior that are "unwanted."

« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 12:01:21 am by wierd »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164708 on: April 20, 2024, 11:40:31 pm »

It does seem simple enough to get an intuition about what goes on inside animal minds from just observing them for long enough. Then again, lots of pet-havers seem to ascribe absurdly human-like thoughts and emotions to their furbabies, so it's possible this isn't a universal skill.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164709 on: April 21, 2024, 03:52:51 am »

Quid narras?
let

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164710 on: April 21, 2024, 03:57:28 am »

It's pretty obvious, yeah. They are not humans and will have different values.

But I've seen cats learn to open doors. I am fairly certain the "barking contests" that sometimes happen in villages is the dogs warning each other about an intruder.
Hell, the whole concept of training dogs relies on them being sentient in the first place.

Quid narras?
Hoc forum Romanum non est.
Hoc est forum Pumilum.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164711 on: April 21, 2024, 03:59:51 am »

Quis dolor
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #164712 on: April 21, 2024, 04:55:40 am »

Romanes eunt domus
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164713 on: April 21, 2024, 05:26:30 am »

"Come on boys. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164714 on: April 21, 2024, 05:36:54 am »

noctuam Athenas portare, nefas

commercari cinaras in Baia, nefas

quid faciam?  :-\ non habeo in animo volo offendi, ita eo domus