Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 195379 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 12:33:03 am »

Okay, so the y-int is 0, easy enough. X-int is when y=0, so 2x^3=12x^2. I've only come up with 0 and 6 as possible values of x for that, if I had batteries for my gfx calculator I'd be more certain.

That's not how you're supposed to do that. Do this instead:

0 = 12x2 - 2x3
0 = x2(12 - 2x)
x = 0 (mulitplicity two), x = 6

You still found the right intercepts, but you'll lose solutions if you're not careful when you set x terms equal to each other and do something like dividing out the xs. (The reason this is bad is because you could possibly be dividing by zero.) If you set one side of an equation equal to zero and then factor, you won't have that problem.

Now, as to the rest of your problem....

when 6x^2=24x

There you go doing that again. Avoid doing that in the future.

My question is thus: With my x-intercepts at x=0 and x=6, does it work to have a turning point between those points but *not* in the centre (i.e. x=3), or have I done something wrong?

That's perfectly fine. There's no issue if your math checks out, which I think it does.

Question for other people who know aught of cack-yool-uss:

Let's say we have a graph that's formula is (1)/(X-2). The graph is discontinuous at X=2, because you divide by zero. Why is the limit as X=>2 'no limit' instead of 'limit is undefined'? What is a limit?

As x -> 2+ (which is to say, the limit from the positive side), the limit approaches positive infinity.
As x -> 2- (which is to say, the limit from the negative side), the limit approaches negative infinity.

Because the left hand limit and the right hand limit do not match, the limit does not exist.

If the left hand limit and the right hand limit were both the same when, for example, both sides went to positive infinity, then the limit would exist and it would said to be undefined.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 12:37:08 am »

Because the left hand limit and the right hand limit do not match, the limit does not exist.

If the left hand limit and the right hand limit were both the same when, for example, both sides went to positive infinity, then the limit would exist and it would said to be undefined.

Crap, I was wrong on this one.  Thanks for the correction.

Notation will be the death of me... I automatically assumed it was approaching from the negative side.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 12:39:49 am »

But as x -> 2- the function approaches negative infinity.

VECTOR CORRECTION COMBO x2!

I am the man.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 12:41:55 am »

Meh.  It's all the same to me by now, dude =/

This is why I left engineering.  "Negative infinity?  Positive infinity?  Same difference, so long as it converges!*"

*For certain definitions of convergence.

But yeah, good catches!  I can tell I need to go review calculus again, since it's gotten mighty rusty.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:50:18 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 07:36:36 am »

My question is thus: With my x-intercepts at x=0 and x=6, does it work to have a turning point between those points but *not* in the centre (i.e. x=3), or have I done something wrong?
That's perfectly fine. There's no issue if your math checks out, which I think it does.

Righto. I was confused, 'cause with parabolas the turning point is always the mean of the x-intercepts. Cheers.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 07:56:57 am »

Thank you, comrades.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 08:09:20 am »

Question for other people who know aught of cack-yool-uss:

Let's say we have a graph that's formula is (1)/(X-2). The graph is discontinuous at X=2, because you divide by zero. Why is the limit as X=>2 'no limit' instead of 'limit is undefined'? What is a limit?
The place the line heads to as it runs away.

for 1/x-2, it heads to infinity in  one direction, and negative infinity in the other direction.

Limit as x approaches 2 from the right, positive, is positive infinity.
Limit as x approaches 2 from the left, negative, is negative infinity.

limit as x approaches 2, is undefined because lim+ and lim- don't meet.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 08:21:08 am »

I 'know' it should be undefined, I just don't know why that would be marked wrong, with 'no limit' as the correct answer.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2010, 10:15:03 am »

That's because 'undefined' and 'no limit' have two distinct meanings. It's incorrect to use them interchangeably.

Undefined => limit approaches infinity
no limit => left hand limit and right hand limit do not match, meaning the limit does not exist

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2010, 02:54:04 pm »

These have been causing me great trouble:

Spoiler: first problem (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: second problem (click to show/hide)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 03:05:31 pm »

For the first one, are there only situations in which 2 lines cross, or is just m = 3 excluded, but m < 3 not?

For the second one, are you supposed to prove that for real numbers or for integers?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:07 pm »

for the first, the only time lines intersect is when exactly two lines intersect (that is, at any given point there will be either no lines, one line, or two lines intersecting).

for the second, it is for positive integers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 04:03:59 pm »

for the second, it is for positive integers.

You might be having trouble with it because the statement is false.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 04:07:12 pm »

That would explain a lot. Thanks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 04:40:25 pm »

That would explain a lot. Thanks.

Hey, no problem.

I remember having significant difficulty with the first problem when I encountered it, but I think a little induction should do the trick.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 173