Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 217444 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2625 on: February 08, 2024, 10:05:36 pm »

Is it fire tho? Is it using oxygen? I don't think it's strictly correct to call fusion fire.
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: February 09, 2024, 02:38:01 am »

it seems likely that everything on earth will become fuel for that cosmic fire, and everything will burn.  Even things not usually considered flammable.
Just goes to show that if you try hard enough that anything can burn if you try hard enough.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: February 09, 2024, 09:32:41 am »

In the immortal words of the fire giant champion from Lords of Magic; "Everything burns"

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: February 09, 2024, 10:30:14 am »

But... can you burn fire?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: February 09, 2024, 01:19:46 pm »

I... think so? Sorta'? At the absolute least it's possible to add more fire to fire to make it go out faster, iirc, which is, like. Close enough.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: February 10, 2024, 02:16:54 pm »

I... think so? Sorta'? At the absolute least it's possible to add more fire to fire to make it go out faster, iirc, which is, like. Close enough.

Indeed. You can test this by using two matches. Light both, hold one under the other. The length of the flame grows longer. That's because the lower match is setting the flame itself on fire
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: February 11, 2024, 07:03:19 am »

Nothing will ever convince me that every installer replacing the shortcuts they create on desktop with symbolic links / hardlinks isn't just another blatant attempt to decrease computer literacy.
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: February 16, 2024, 01:47:32 pm »

Researching ancient Greek/Mycean gods and suddenly imagining myself back in a city of the time, during a thunderstorm at night, observing the lightning strikes which inspired the bundle Zeus carries.

Times like that are when I am most... observant, in my beliefs.  Is that timeless?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: February 16, 2024, 04:18:33 pm »

Times like that are when I am most... observant, in my beliefs.  Is that timeless?

I would say that it is. I also get spiritual when overt natural events happen. Though mine are less religious and more philosophical.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: February 16, 2024, 07:16:45 pm »

Researching ancient Greek/Mycean gods and suddenly imagining myself back in a city of the time, during a thunderstorm at night, observing the lightning strikes which inspired the bundle Zeus carries.

Or when sickness plagued those self-same cities until one man said 'this is not the gods, go thee religious hence from my cave of healing' and accidentally founded modern medicine, giving us his Hippocratic oath to mutter against fools and charlatans.

Edit: Unless the tone wasn't clear, I'm deliberately pontificating.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: February 16, 2024, 08:26:44 pm »

The Hippocratic oath was literally sworn in the names of the gods and goddesses of medicine.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: February 17, 2024, 03:19:59 pm »

I mean, if we're being serious, then yes. Though I'd also add that Hippocrates likely didn't write it, and that an evocation of the gods was pretty common in... pretty much everything, but especially oaths.

My understanding is that Ancient Greece evoked gods in active healing processes. Entering a dream of healing, for instance, to determine what Asclepius desired your healing journey to be.

Hippocrates focused on empirical evidence to arrive at a treatment methodology. Granted, his methodology was flawed and overly-fixated on diet as causing disease. But nevertheless, it removed interpretative dream-visions and divine intervention from the equation.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: February 20, 2024, 03:05:58 am »

Spoiler: A teaser! (click to show/hide)
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: March 14, 2024, 10:39:15 pm »

With candles, the wick isn't what's burning.
I was taught that it was, but that the candle-wax was "slowing the burn" somehow.  The kind of nonsense answer a child gets.  In this case I never reexamined it, because who cares about candles?

Fallen London cares about candles.
Quote from: FIVE OF LIGHTS
Flaky, creamy, combustible
"There is a lack", I once set as a status, and my friends grew concerned for me.  I thought it was a level of Unaccountably Peckish, but it wasn't.  Technically.  It was my interpretation of it.
I'm glad they were concerned for me.  Well, she, but she went by they at the time.  My other "friends" let me cook.  Melt.
Sublimate?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: March 15, 2024, 02:10:41 am »

I'd rather change phase than combust. Solid or fluid, either works in the proper context.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 180