Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 511065 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #5040 on: December 07, 2023, 10:05:55 pm »

I dreamt that I was watching a movie, which started I out as a group of people trying to move between safe hiding areas during an "apocalypse" scenario. The apocalypse in question being dragons wrecking everything. They got stuck at a chain link fence with no tools to cut their way through and one such dragon flew overhead, turned around and looked at them. Just as it was about to start diving a a fighter jet started shooting at it, and attempted to hit it with a missile, which it dodged since it didn't have any way of locking onto an organic creature.

So the dragon and the fighter pilot get into a dog fight, with the fighter being mostly able to outpace the dragon, attempted to shoot it with his cannons again and ended up flying through its fire breath, which overheated its engines or disabled it in some way. The pilot lost all control and the dragon flew up next to it and started peeling open the side of the plane. This scene had really awful CGI, like the dragon was just a bunch of blue polygons from like an N64 game, and I remember making remarks to that effect. Anyway the pilot ejected from the plane, but before his parachute could even open the dragon swooped back around and ate him.

Then the movie returned focus to the main characters who had taken refuge again in an underground parking garage, and were trying to figure out what to do next. They tried to get into a crawlspace that only contained a plywood box with a little slot in the front and another on top, which had a shallow ramp going down into it. One guy opened the box to reveal a bunch of teeny pegs that looked kinda like LEGOs. The dream switched to a first person perspective of him arranging these little Lego peg-men, which now were proper people, to fight the two dragons living in their crate, which were also tiny miniatures. The crate had two of these little rooms there at the bottom and the rest was a maze of narrow plywood corridors. The little knights had to navigate the maze, and eventually encountered the dragons on the highest level.

The dragons went up the ramp to the top of the box, and were revealed to be hydras, with no wings or fire breath, but very long tails and necks, which could grow back if split or injured. The knights tried to fight them but many died and they were forced to retreat back into the box, with the hydras pursuing them into the maze as they descended. Eventually only one knight made it to rooms at the bottom of the maze, while many others were still lost and fighting the hydras and now apparently others. From outside the box, the viewers could only guess where they were or what was going on from the appearance of yellow or red exclamation marks denoting sounds of movement and combat, like in adventure mode in dwarf fortress. The exclamation marks showed through the box and marked the rough positions of where things were taking place in 3d space inside.

The viewers added more reinforcements and tried again to have the knights go into the maze and slay the hydras, but now in the maze the hydras and the mini/baby dragons had even more of an upper hand, because the mini dragons could ambush the knights among the dark passages and the hydras could loop their necks through the passages and attack the knights and then retract their necks back out of reach. That ended after a while, and the dream moved on to another unrelated part about being a cyberpunk bounty hunter in a team trying to catch some goons/rescue someone that had been kidnapped in the streets of a city and eventually trying to catch birds in a grassy field behind their offices/warehouse

I feel like I'm on drugs
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: December 08, 2023, 01:58:18 pm »

I think I had my first working adult anxiety dream last night.

For context, I used to have anxiety dreams all through high school and college. They took a very specific form there.

In this dream, I was traveling to somewhere in Europe. The first part started off well enough. I feel like I was in some Scandinavian country. All snow and alpine forests. A picturesque journey so far.

After I arrive at my hotel, which is sort of a weird mix of open floor plan home and hotel, is when the anxiety set in.

I believe my reason for my travel in my dream was weed tourism. (I've been visiting a lot of dispensaries on my work trips lately, so that tracks.)

After I'd settled in though I started panicking. I couldn't remember what the next stop of my trip was, like being on a business trip but not remembering your itinerary.

So half my dream is things going on around me while I STRUGGLE to even enter my password on my phone to get at my apps and itinerary. (Because I guess FaceID doesn't work in your dreams.) Various people are in my dream doing various things and yet here I am, face buried in my phone, desperately trying to key in my passcode with fat fingers. Sometimes I get distracted, moving around and have to start over. Other times I just key it in too fast. This goes on and on and on, the constant drum beat to everything else going on around me. I have a minuscule crack on my real life phone's display. In my dream this crack begins to expand, making it harder to type things and making me think my phone is about to become unusable. Even as I and a group of people head into the city to see the sites, I'm still there, panicking, trying to figure out where I need to go next. Where I need to be when so I don't screw up my trip. (Read as: life.) At one point I even forget where I actually traveled to, and feel embarrassment at the idea of asking the hotel staff what country I'm in.

This is one of those instances where a dream really is the amalgamation of all the facets of your daily life, condensed. I've been traveling constantly, trying to keep things straight at work, going from one project to the next, to the point in real life I started feeling like I was losing the plot. There's various romantic things happening around me or to me in the dream too, and that also tracks with what this year has been about. I always hated these dreams in high school and college because I knew exactly what they were about and yet couldn't escape experiencing them over and over. They'd leave me exhausted upon waking up and I'd have no desire to get on with my day because of them.

I'd realized a few years into my job that I wasn't having them anymore, and that was a relief. So I'm kind of unnerved that they're back in a new form, tailored to who I am these days.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 03:05:32 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: December 08, 2023, 05:21:42 pm »

I was presented to supernatural society as a debutante.  It was like the Vampire Camarilla, but more fey and it took place in an urban meeting hall glittering with natural sunlight from many windows.

Our ruler, clad in gold and gems, diablerized a pair of debutantes.  I... don't think they struggled.  We were all performing a social dance, and they didn't break step.  My performance had simply been better, and I glowed with pride.

(three nights ago)
I was back in college and had joined a group of occult computer programmers.  Vaguely vampiric.  But for now I was alone in my dorm room, struggling with anxiety and confusion.  I felt unworthy of my new friends.  I wanted to tell them... I think a blood bond was compelling me to trust them, but my rational mind was saying they would eat me if I told them the truth.  Or was that just anxiety?

As I struggled to think clearly, the... Burger King... phased through my door.  I wasn't surprised to be hallucinating, just annoyed.  I told him to fuck off and shoved him, only to be astonished to find him corporeal.  He laughed and asked if I often yelled at hallucinations.  "Typical kitty..." (There was a little Fallen London in play, here- this was a Devil, and my character is an honorary cat (dream-guardian))

He was from Financial Services, but all he wanted was to congratulate me on last night... he said with a wink, leaving.  Last night?  I couldn't remember last night, it was blank.  Blacked out.  Fuck, not again.  I had broken my sobriety for one celebratory drink with my new coterie.  What had I done??

I rushed to my friends.  They were expecting me, three of them.  Dark figures, leaning against the walls of the tiny room, staring at me. 
"I think I  blacked out"
"Yeah, no shit (chuckle).  It's alright." 
The center one... was it the man or the enby?  They beckoned me forwards and tilted my chin up.  Their third eye peeled open and it was a starry void.  This was fine.  I was among friends, no, family.  Of course I didn't have their skills yet, but they would share with me.

But something was wrong.  The me to my left launched an audio file.  Instrumental, I think.  It was compelling, and it didn't belong here, in us.  It was a hypnotic trigger, a bad one, something I'd let into our mind last night.  I struggled to move, stumbling towards the phone.  Telling us not to listen.  I was beginning to remember something but it was important not to remember, to stop the song, to end this thought.

I ripped the dream apart and lay there in the dark, feeling extremely alone.  I told a friend about it and felt better.  Eventually fell back asleep, had nicer dreams. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 08:34:02 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: December 09, 2023, 05:50:22 pm »

I dreamed I was being forced to eat broken light bulbs and glass, and started vomiting up blood. I woke up with severe heartburn I don't remember the context of the dream
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: December 10, 2023, 01:54:20 am »

Had such a strange set of dreams last night. Mostly centred around some horrible unpleasant sexual relationship I was having with this amorphous character that kept being and doing different unpleasant things that I didn’t like at all. It was awkward and nasty. I’m not really sure what it means. Not that it has to mean something but it was so strange. A little fucked up, too.
Had a sexual dream, last night — it wasn’t perfect, but it was more pleasant than this one, which is good, I think. Progress, healing.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5045 on: December 10, 2023, 07:15:49 am »

I dreamed I was being forced to eat broken light bulbs and glass, and started vomiting up blood. I woke up with severe heartburn I don't remember the context of the dream
the dietary benefits of glaxxmaxxing remain inconclusive

also I dreamed I was on a battlecruiser with an armoured prow that was just plowing through some sheets of ice. I kept checking our fix on our charts and setting our next plots but kept getting seasick. I was sure we were on course and the helmsman was keeping us steady and away from icebergs (weren't worried about colliding with one, but we were worried about one flipping over and capsizing us). I left the bridge to get some fresh air. The air outside was about 4 degrees. It confused me, because no matter where or how far we sailed, there was no land. We maintained an easterly bearing so we knew we weren't going in circles. Yet there was no land. I asked the Captain to drop anchor and send some divers down to see what was below us, which is when the dream ended

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: December 12, 2023, 02:37:22 am »

Sounds kind of like waterworld but in the antarctic which is probably the worst place to be in a flooded world.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5047 on: December 13, 2023, 09:22:01 am »

Sounds kind of like waterworld but in the antarctic which is probably the worst place to be in a flooded world.
I can't tell if it would be worse to be in the antarctic or the atlantic in an ocean world. Maybe you could combine the two to get the worst of both worlds. Giant rogue waves carrying massive ice bergs, huge violent storms and tumultuous sea states in freezing cold wind and rain

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: December 14, 2023, 03:34:32 am »

I can't tell if it would be worse to be in the antarctic or the atlantic in an ocean world. Maybe you could combine the two to get the worst of both worlds. Giant rogue waves carrying massive ice bergs, huge violent storms and tumultuous sea states in freezing cold wind and rain
Thinking about it that would make for a pretty cool setting for a movie.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: December 14, 2023, 06:11:48 pm »

Last night I dreamed of playing dwarf fortress, specifically the Museum community game (of course I would...) and was debating what I should even do, because I had two adventurers and a fort I could unretire, so I opened up each of them in different instances and ran them all in parallel as I switched between them. Ultimately I decided on running a new fort. But I also visited several other forts other players had built, including one built under a elven forest retreat that was adjacent to a hamlet inhabited by goblins, which were all close enough together the embark covered all of them. That one was neat to explore as the goblins rushed over to the fortress entrance and fought the dwarves, creating lots of chaotic combat and corpses strewn about.
I make Spellcrafts!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5050 on: December 16, 2023, 02:00:35 pm »

Dreamed I was a Ming dynasty Emperor who came to power amidst chaos, civil war, famine and foreign invasions. Against all odds I managed to lead my dynasty to prosperity and victory, and all of the provinces under heaven were peaceful and great again. Then I assembled my court and told them "hey guys check this out" and I did a front flip into a pillar, hit my head on the square edge and died, causing another civil war

Gimli asked me: "Have you found the hobbits yet?"

I said "No."

Gimli shouted "WELL WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR THEN?"

I grabbed Gimli's hand and leapt out of bed. However, I leapt out of bed in real life too. So I was standing in my room, fully awake, with no Gimli.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 05:25:14 am by Loud Whispers »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: December 28, 2023, 06:31:43 am »

Had a dream about the dogs I had a few years ago, all of whom have been put down since. I let them out of the house and they immediately found a way out of the fence and started roaming the neighborhood, bringing back other people's dogs.

Not sure what that was about, although it could be anxiety over the fact that my mom is trying to get another dog in the next couple of weeks.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: December 30, 2023, 03:30:29 pm »

Another fever dream where I had to solve a puzzle-game before I could actually rest.  Usually my dreams let me visualize very realistic 3D spaces which can be indistinguishable from waking life.  Fever dreams abandon that utterly.

I was in a new content update for Fallen London where I could arrange items- most of which are concepts like "gossip" or "enigmas"- on a grid.  By setting up two intersecting lines of such items, I could alchemize new items at the intersection.  The longer the more efficient, which made me worried about the action economy...  always about optimization in these dreams.  I was following the suggestions at first and alchemizing moderately useful rewards, but I (accidentally?) put some hell-brandy in one row, mixing it with gossip.  The result was a new item not present in the actual game.  Some sort of Infernal secret shaped like seeking red roots...

Oh, I get it now.  The mysterious and intimate blue flower you can acquire by walking the road to hell.
I know why these roots were red, too.  Subtle.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5053 on: January 01, 2024, 05:45:12 pm »

Dreamed I was flying from somewhere back home, but the winds were always too turbulent forcing crash landings. The first time it was a smallish airplane with two sets of wings, like a biplane with old timey props. We kept lurching this way and that because of the steep angles and low altitude we were flying at, but fortunately no one was hurt in the crash landing. From there we took some kind of VTOL helicoper/plane hybrid which once again kept flying way too low. This time we flew over Germany, except there was an overabundance of monumentally sized aquatic theme parks spraying great jets of water in the air, alongside a great deal of modular apartment blocks. Eventually this aircraft is also forced to do a crash landing over a main road, though the pilot manages to skillfully at least move off the main road and to the side on a grassy plain where there will be no risk of collision with land vehicles. No one is hurt, so the air crew tell us all they will fix the aircraft but they need some parts to arrive, telling us to come back there in 12 hours. I head over to some inn and though the waiter doesn't speak very much English, we kinda understand each other through gestures and liberal use of menus. I order a lot of chips, onions, sausage, fried chicken, grilled chicken, with lots of different sauces. Good dream

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: January 04, 2024, 01:53:28 am »

Five types of dreams I have.

1: Random incomprehensible bullshit.

2: "Good" dreams where I am in some adventure or roadtrip.

3: Nightmares with psychological horror aspects. No monsters, instead slow, gradual apocalyptic events that invoke a sense of impending doom.

4: Dreams where I am in a video game as an immaterial will. Game is oftenly an RTS or grand strategy game with interstellar scifi themes. These games I play do not exist IRL, but do borrow aspects from ones that do exist.

5: Dreams where my own mind echoes back to me. They always feel fuzzy.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 01:55:09 am by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339