Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777]

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 853795 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #11640 on: May 14, 2024, 05:57:06 pm »

Yeah after about a year or two after Facebook started I realized it was just going to harvest my data and I stopped updating my profile except for the occasional profile pic.

The less you put out about yourself on social media, the better. Although in truth, that's only 30% of the ways you get gotten on your identity data.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: May 15, 2024, 02:11:50 am »

I never really got the appeal of selfies, I mean I hate having my picture taken no matter who takes it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: May 15, 2024, 02:29:54 am »

I never really got the appeal of selfies, I mean I hate having my picture taken no matter who takes it.

#Relatable
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11643 on: May 15, 2024, 09:58:36 am »

Yeah... I've been fairly light sensitive for most of my life, and from young camera flashes basically conditioned me to avoid cameras. Getting a picture taken hurt fairly literally, which does a really good job of teaching someone to want nothing to do with them.

It's less of a concern these days, but decades of habit is decades of habit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: May 15, 2024, 10:33:48 pm »

#Relatable

Yeah, for what it's worth I can relate. Although part of that with me is body image issues. Part of me wonders if that's one of the reasons other girls take a million selfies. They're trying to find one they "look good in," but every one we see we interpret as bad. That just seems to be a no matter what situation (like even if we probably look ok). I hated selfies for a lot of reasons.

Side note. There is a yellow jacket nest in my porch rafters about the size of maybe half a thumb. So it is currently very small. They tried that last month and I just squished it/knocked it down with like a wood pole and ran like hell. I'm a wuss. They seem to have come back and yeah. Literal persistent buggers. One of these nights I'm going to likely work up the courage to do it again. Odd thing is the door is positioned just so it's harder to get away than I'd like.

Someone steal this million dollar idea: A drone or other computery remote controlled thing that literally fights bugs while you are safe inside. You can see what it does through a camera from safety and fight off wasps or whatever remotely like a real life robot verses bug video game. The little drone or whatever (or a little standing thingy) can be like spraying them with poison while you're safe and sound away from stingy danger. The wasps can't really hurt the robot but the pesticide the robot/remote control drone thingy sprays on them can. I'm only half kidding and not sure if it would even work. I hate bugs in/near my place though.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11645 on: May 18, 2024, 01:34:10 am »

straw man comment about my forum games not reaching an ending and thus me not being a good game host

That kind of comment isn't really knowledgeable of what I am doing.

Like faulting Thomas Edison for not making a lightbulb on the first try.

The kinds of game hosts that are known for their consistency are not the experimental ones quite often.

In that sense it is like celebrating a printing press for another successful stamp.

To judge both processes under the same yardstick of consistency is to rob the world of change. That isn't the world I want.

The sheer variety of game systems I have hosted, modified, and designed that brought enjoyment to others is the standard by which I will be fairly judged any day.
Awesome With Autism

“The art of life is to live in the present moment.”
— Emmet Fox

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: May 18, 2024, 03:49:26 am »

straw man comment about my forum games not reaching an ending and thus me not being a good game host

That kind of comment isn't really knowledgeable of what I am doing.

Like faulting Thomas Edison for not making a lightbulb on the first try.

The kinds of game hosts that are known for their consistency are not the experimental ones quite often.

In that sense it is like celebrating a printing press for another successful stamp.

To judge both processes under the same yardstick of consistency is to rob the world of change. That isn't the world I want.

The sheer variety of game systems I have hosted, modified, and designed that brought enjoyment to others is the standard by which I will be fairly judged any day.

If it helps, I've learned haters are just gonna hate. As long as you and your friends are having fun and not hurting anyone (or something else like that) go for it. You're not a AAA game studio or charging them $100 a game/DLC, right? If it's a forum game, then they're getting entertainment for free I'm guessing? I always found it odd some individuals  complain about that stuff so hard. You can't please everyone all the time and as long as you're not being bad or something (and I am not saying you are or anything) then   you're ok? I don't know. I hope that helps.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: May 18, 2024, 05:23:58 am »

You're not a AAA game studio or charging them $100 a game/DLC, right?

Not for a lack of trying.

And I'm going to do a bit of a disagree on the idea that non innovative games are the ones that tend to die off. Frankly, a vast majority of forum games die off without reaching a satisfying conclusion, both innovative and repetitive. Honestly I think it's hard to come up with games that do conclude well, out of the ones I've paid attention too lately, Hedge lords was noticeable as being a completely new and complex in mechanically in depth 4x that managed to finish completely, and Haspens war games often reach a winner. Hedge lords was very innovative, and Haspens games are all innovative compared to what everyone else is doing, although he makes and runs so many of them you might be excused for not thinking of them as such since he invites comparison to himself :P
The idea that innovative games tend to die is I think a bit of trying to level something that's inherently unlevel, I think creative motivated GMs are both the ones most likely to make a innovative game and the ones to bring a game to a satisfying conclusion, low effort low motivation gms tend to be the most copy paste of previous ideas and most likely to die off unceremoniously.

You know what games really tend to not last long? Cookie cutter soft rping games, often about gods or mages or whatever, they pop up like mushrooms after a rainstorm in the FG&RPing section, none of them are very innovative, and they tend to die off after a few pages.

Edison probably did have plenty of failures, but we do remember him for his successes. There's plenty of inventors who never made anything of worth who have been lost to time and we'd call failures.

People should not be giving you shit for quickly abandoning games because frankly that's not even abnormal. But making and sticking to a game would be good too. Especially if it's a game that people get invested in, games that are just about spamming out suggestions or doing a little task are probably not going to make people that sad if they end abruptly, but if  you ask people to get invested in a game by making a character or something else that is uniquely theirs, that will feel bad when it's abandoned. Although as said I don't think that's abnormal, I would probably avoid any of your games that ask for such a commitment from me, but I would say I avoid a majority of such games on bay12 for that same reason.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 05:26:48 am by Criptfeind »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: Today at 12:14:57 pm »

Discovered just how badly I'm being ripped off by Burger King. The difference between Value and Medium is measurable in millimeters, not even enough for a single goddamn fry. And that was after they spilled and threw out a few of my fries when moving my order from a tray to a bag after specifically telling them when I placed the order it was to go(the cashiers are supposed to ask).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777]