Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163]

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 195997 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #2430 on: May 02, 2024, 02:24:25 pm »

They have elections in 5 months... their protesters understand their current administration is trying rig the election (voter suppression and misinformation, the Russian style).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: May 03, 2024, 12:58:25 pm »

Georgian PM directly accused USA of trying to start a revolution

Heh, even Yanukovich wasn't spewing bullshit of this type. Neither did he dare to use this tone when speaking to the US.

Yeah, it is unlikely that it will end peacefully in Georgia. The pro-Russian "Georgian Dream" is burning bridges.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: May 19, 2024, 03:10:56 pm »

Well for lack of Middle East thread.

It is possible that the president of Iran, and some of his ministers are dead.
Their helicopter 'made a hard landing' near the Azerbaijan border.

The Iranian State television reports the helicopter has been found. The Iranian Red Half Moon denies this is the case and say search and rescue teams are still searching.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: May 19, 2024, 11:41:02 pm »

Iranian state media appear to be confirming they are dead.

Live updates from the BBC
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: May 19, 2024, 11:51:16 pm »

This is quite unimportant. He wasn't the ruler of Iran. Sure, some said that he was "the successor" but it always was nothing more than a rumor. I don't expect any major changes coming out of it.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

See, that IS a notable lack of perspective. Alive he might have been a nonentity but dead he can stir the pot quite a bit in the Middle East.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Khameini will not be happy. Raisi was being groomed to become the next ayatollah, Khameini is old and has cancer.

Let's hope this tragic accident will bring a fresh wind of change to Iran. I know the country has a lot of young progressives who would like to see a different Iran.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:47:44 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I first head about it, the "stir the pot" came to mind. (Well, "this'll be interesting".) If it's him and the Foreign Minister (as per initial reports, not checked this morning), then it depends who is waiting (or suddenly very quickly manouvering!) in the wings to step into their roles. If there are moderates (nonetheless, poised to step in, which suggests some sort of 'line' they were holding) then it might spin the nation one way, but likely that there's just more of the same, and all it takes is a spurious misunderstanding/misinterpretation of how they got there...

All unknown, right now (or as of last night, haven't checked this morning, changes may well be afoot before I even typed this).

I was a bit confused about why the helicopter had gone from over on 'that' bit of northern Iran (for the publicised joint dam project) and headed to 'that' but of northern Iran (scraping some rather interesting geopolotical terrain, as well as ...as it turns out... scraping some actual physical terrain), but there are any number of reasons that someone who knew the region (transport links, other likely public business) or more advanced knowledge ('internal' government business, whilst in the region), but of course in that way of speculating lies madness. Or an international espionage thriller sceenplay. After a lot of tweaking to re-set it in "Ficticioustan"!

(And any Middle East thread is likely to get very heated, at times, especially given the current Near-Middle-East situation that I think has done for at least one well-meaning more localised thread, fortunately not this one. It's possible we even had one, either thankfully old and only necroable or possibly locked previously.  Such is the way of things. Even if it would have been nice to have had one specifically for this... at this time... no-fault regional incident.)
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163]