Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tombkisses, another succession fort (.18, modded) - Turn 2  (Read 5085 times)

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tombkisses, another succession fort (.18, modded) - Turn 2
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 12:32:01 pm »

Initial Report

So one day I thought I was tired of the life in the mountain homes. It was overcrowded, ruled by a baron and his overeager hammerer. But despite the constant dealing out of ‘justice’ there were still too many dwarves going for the same jobs. I wasn’t getting any work at all and was in horrendous debt. Then the tax collector came and gave me two options: sign up to establish a new fortress worthy of dwarf-kind, or have a chat with the hammerer. It was obvious where I was going then… So to my surprise when after a whole year of being here I was told I was in charge of the fort.
This has to be one of the more dire ‘forts’ I’ve ever been residence to. For a start, it is all above ground. For any self-respecting dwarf this is an abomination! We are creature of the earth and that is where we shall stay. How ever, there is a good reason that we are on the Armok forsaken surface; there is an aquifer below our feet that has been impenetrable to our efforts to break through it so far. This is the only problem I need to solve during the year. Other than the failure to get us all where we belong, the previous ruler has done good job of looking after the fort’s food supply. The estimates are around 100 units of booze and around 440 units of food. While I would prefer more accurate numbers, these numbers will have to do. I’m sure we will manage, for we are dwarves, blessed by armok himself.
Right, let’s get to work then.

1st Granite
First things first, this fort needs to be more organised. I always try to be as organised as possible in my life and running forts is no exception. So I henceforth am the fortress’ manager and decree that 16 wooden pipe sections,  blocks and enormous corkscrews be made. Hehe, look at them go. Being in power is fun!
But wait, why is no-body working? You aren’t a carpenter? Pfft, well you are now, get to your workshop. Wait, there only is one? Well make some more. Armok dam these dwarves…

9th Slate
It is the happiest day of my life today! Since she arrived here Bëmbul the broker and I have been madly in love and today we finally got married! Seeing as there is no proper room for parties (which I have noted down on my to-to list) we decided that the well was as good as any other place to have the obligatory party afterwards! Anyway, no point writing anything more down today, off to party!

19th Slate
An important event occurred today. Udil the miner who died in the first attempt to breach the aquifer has finally been put to rest. This is a moment to stop and think of how our next plan will pan out and to make sure it is perfect so as to avoid a repeat of last year’s tragedy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, my plan is deferent to !!Crundle!!’s. It involves pumping the water from the aquifer out faster that it refills again to allow carpenters to wall up the earth and then continue from there. This method should help prevent any casualties. But we wont know what will happen until the day comes I suppose…

26th Slate
Migrants have arrived!   
1 Stonecrafter
2 Clothiers
1 Weaver
1 Miner
1 Gem Setter (who went off to hunt…)
1 Trapper (I mean mason)
1 Tanner
1 Lye maker (at least he knows record keeping)
2 Animal trainers (who both are part time mace dwarves)
1 Wood burner (I mean mechanic)
1 ‘farmer’ (He does it all. Terribly)
1 Weaponsmith
1 Fisherdwarf
And all of them brought along at least one animal… fuck.

20th Hematite
Dam. Today we made our attempt to breach the aquifer, which has met failure. As soon as the pumps were started the whole area was completely submerged in water. I underestimated how quickly the water would re-fill…
I have revised my plans.
In happier news my wife had great fun stealing from the elves. You see, they think that cloth is their most valuable resource. So encouraging trade with them encourages them to bring more cloth. Until it gets to the point where they bring nothing but cloth. Leaving their more interesting products like their exotic animals behind at home. So when we saw that they had a live Jaguar we didn’t hesitate to claim it. Screw your economy elves we take what we want.

So yeah, that's the first part of my turn. I pissed off the elves and failed at breaching the aquifer. Mainly because I didn't dig out a big enough space. So just the usual then.
Also, it seems that the parrots can learn as they are getting social skills. I guess being round all those dwarves are making the parrots good at mimicking those little midgets.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 12:55:27 pm »

hehe nice update.  was wondering why the screenshots from crundle were all ground level with little exploratory stairs...now I know:)

good luck punching the aquifer, hope you get it done because its not something im very practiced at....though that could lead to Fun times for all:p
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 02:33:17 pm »

Well this is my first time with breaching aquifers as well. With me it's always either been not there at all for some reason, or I could just dig around it. Just about to start my second attempt though, so here's to progress...

[Edit Time]

23rd Hematite
A fey mood has struck Kadol Sarveshedëm and claimed a craftsdwarf workshop. Great, some useless trinket and a legendary crafter. Not exactly the most useful first mood…
Yep, most likely some bone idol or something as I can see that he has just finished collecting his components and is starting to work his magic on them. Let’s see what he comes up with.

27th Hematite
More Migrants? I don’t think we will be able to sustain this for much longer…
1 bowyer… Who seems to be so shocked at our fail of a fort he cannot move from where he arrived, stopping the whole column of migrants. Seriously, these dwarves are idiots…

28th
He finally moved, now let’s count these dwarves…
1 Weaver
1 Glassmaker
1 animal dissector (Do you know anything about mining?)

Wait what? Kadol finished his mood? Oh only a bone earring, nothing special. Back to the migrants

1 Fisherdwarf (who actually considers himself a farmer)
1 Cheese Maker
1 Gem setter (Who is skilled in combat)
and the dumb bowyer from earlier.

Ok that’s it. So a much smaller one this time. We are at 33 dwarves and our 22 animals. Not too much but I need to get our record keeping sorted out…

4th Malachite
Ok we are ready for our next attempt at the aquifer breach. Carpenters on standby! Pull that lever now! Go! Wall up that dirt now! This is tense, the room is slowly filling up and the workers are almost finished! You can do it! Just 2 more sections left! Wait why aren’t you jumping to follow my orders?

For Armok’s sake, I am surrounded by a collection of the most incompetant dwarves ever to populate this world! None of these dwarves have any use what-so-ever! The only useful dwarf (in this situation in particular thought it would be a great idea to go on break right now… I am going to kill them all after this is finished. Great now there is too much water there.
Screw you.
May I note that it was no fault of mine that this shambles took place. At least we made some progress; there is only 1 more section to wall up now. Let’s hope that there is only 1 layer of aquifer there.

28th
Ah… Well that was a good run for a first artefact… A bunch of mandrills wandered in and stole the flipping thing. I’ll send in our token military to deal with thi-…

At this point my computer gave up and dwarf fortress crashed for no apparent reason… grumble grumble grumble. Right now I can’t be bothered to re-play all that again so you’ll just have to live on this bit here now… At least I can re-plan the whole digging thing again.

By the way, Are we on a double aquifer? Because the method I’m trying only works on single layer ones…
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:25:11 pm by Thatdude »

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 03:45:57 pm »

There are two aquifers- one on the beach/ocean and one on the jungle.
I think one was a double and the other was a single, but i'm not sure.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 06:42:42 am »

how we doing here?  Im gonna be largely unavailable this weekend so dont feel rushed or anything.  Just wondering :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 04:43:21 pm »

I hope we get it punched before my turn, because I can't do some thing like that. Also do I have a dwarf.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:38 pm »

I hope we get it punched before my turn, because I can't do some thing like that. Also do I have a dwarf.

You can claim one on your turn.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

SolEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 02:59:29 am »

I want in, and I want a dorf, preferably a stone detailer/engraver because engraving pictures of cheese wins.

Also I cus heavily. If thats a problem I can tone it down a little . . . . . .
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 07:13:14 pm »

Hey, how's it coming.

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 07:51:05 pm »

I would like in, I don't care which dwarf.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 07:32:36 pm »

Thatdude appears to not be taking his turn...

One day before we go on to the next dwarf.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 06:44:52 am »

just throw me the save if he doesnt come back.  i assume you got some way of packaging it up with your mods.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
Pages: 1 [2]