Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Succesion game - Above the Dismal Seas  (Read 9915 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Succesion game - Above the Dismal Seas
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 05:08:58 pm »

Ok, I've found a great location! It's terrifying, has an exposed magma pipe, and only needs 3 regional land tiles!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
OK. So I need to get people to play.
Year 1: Me
2: squirreloid
3: Killaconcarnage
4: ezk1
5: Innominate
6: Squirreloid
7: Empty
(Note: newcomers have higher priority than squirreloid's second turn)
A few rules. Number 1, no using cheating tools. Unless I say so.
Number 2, no pumping magma into the ocean to cast-obsidian the ocean.
Number 3. No making your fort in the rock. The only digging in rock I will permit is to reveal tiles to trigger moods. If you want stone, make a cast-obsidian chamber.
Number 4? No completely walling off your fort. This is just boring when you do this.

The point is to use the one resource you can mass produce (green glass) to make a successful fortress above-ground. I will be making a temporary fort in the soil to protect the dwarves at first, but I don't want a fort exclusively in the ground. You can use bins or pumps to build on the sea floor, but you may only dig one level under the sea floor for food and drink storage.
If you guys would prefer, I'll make a second topic for this.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:18:15 pm by 100killer9 »
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succesion game - Above the Dismal Seas
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 08:52:07 pm »

I would be interested in doing this, but probably more interested in just reading how it goes. So put me in for a spot if it looks like nobody else is signing up anymore.

Actually on second thoughts, put me in for the third year, and just treat that as malleable; if somebody desperately wants to go before me, they can.

Also, we need a grand staircase descending into the ocean floor, with a practical up/down shaft as well as a scenic ramp route. The ramp route needs to be able to see out through clear glass windows, if possible. The inner shaft is to prevent job-cancelled spam.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 09:22:25 pm »

The dwarvish world had just been too much for Zon.
The Waxy Wires's mountainhome had been a depressing scene in recent years. The Goblins had figured out a way to link undeath to a communicable disease, causing evil to spread throughout the world. The Humans, a somewhat reliable ally of the dwarves, had been decimated by the evil. The Elves, a less reliable punching-bag ALLY had also fallen. Now the dwarven mountainhomes were feeling the effect of evil. The sealing out sieges, the insanity, the insane mega-constructions that laborers were struggling to build were slowly causing Dwarvenkind's downfall. And Zon had simply had enough.
Together with the Tower of Artifacts, Zon got a charter to build a fortress. However, so that he got the freedom to do what he wanted, he had to accept the law of the Dwarven Civilizations set in stone 200 years ago:
All land 10 kilometers inland of the continent of Barbarians belonged to their owning Dwarven Civilizations, and all bedrock extending 10 kilometers out from the shore at least 3 meters under the ocean belongs to the aforemented owning Dwarven Civilizations
This left Zon with one choice. Build a fort over ocean. But what terrors did the ocean hold?
Ok, that ends the boring backstory. There's skeletal imps, harpies, a skeletal spiny dogfish, and sand and silty clay and a magma pipe. There's three layers of soil, but I prefer you guys head into the ocean as soon as possible to look cool. For the staircase, we would have to use bins, but that's one small price for style points.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 11:34:11 pm »

Spring was boring. Everything's going fine. I cut down trees, gathered plants, set up shop. In the background, I'm planning a cistern to bring magma away from the skeletal fire imps and harpies.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 02:04:07 am »

FWIW, i probably won't be able to play until monday.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 08:13:49 am »

Ok, I can deal with that.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 08:30:12 pm »

Summer was as boring as spring. Haven't finished the magma cistern yet. This update is short.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 11:19:58 pm »

Autumn was actually rather fun! The forces of nature are FINALLY out to get me. The caravan came, and two skeletal fire imps decided to attack it. They injured a merchant, but were decimated. Stupid fire imps.
I had nothing to offer. I had planned to finish the cistern by then, but it was still under completion. I'd give them something of glass once it's done, I thought.
I found the third skeletal imp, and after knocking him into the magma pipe (like that works against imps) I killed it with the Axedwarf.
I had finally finished it, and once the final axle was in place...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The lava rose out of some stairs! Luckily, I managed to get my carpenter to dissassemble the gear axle before it went too far, and he only burned his left foot. I have no idea how you can walk in lava and survive with a foot burn, but I digress. I had to wait for the lava to cool, so I traded a barrel of plump helmets for something (I forget what) and got to building a well. This took way too long as no one would bring the wooden blocks to the stockpile so that my mason would recognize it existed and design the well. I built it by dumping and unforbidding it. The magma cistern was fixed and is now full. Reese's macaws or whatever invaded, and I had my axedwarf kill one to make me feel better that my carpenter would be out of comission for a year or two. And that's it for Autumn.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 08:55:00 pm »

No migrants. I had the harpies slaughtered by my axedwarf, who now serves as a carpenter (was a woodcutter only). He killed them, and is walking around with mangled right lung. I made some blocks, built a bit, and all, but the main thing I did was try to herd a female horse into a cage trap I built. I only caught a male. Someone needs to finish this before they leave the map.
How would I put up the save? Just use any file upload site?

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 03:17:25 am »

i wana play

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2009, 07:18:21 am »

Cool. I think you're up for year 3. I'll post the save tonight. I think squrreloid is up. I think I built enough on land. Try to start building the glass fort, as currently it's just a strip (migrants should help).

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 03:14:57 pm »

Use DFFD for file uploads, probably.  Well, just link wherever you use here when you upload it.

UL tonight you say?  I'll play tomorrow then.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 07:33:56 pm »

Here it is. Do try to expand over the ocean. Start by building the rooms there, and slowly move workshops over. You shouldn't be in low supply of magma-safe materials, and you can dig a channel from the cistern to obsidian-cast if you need stone.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 02:02:49 am »

Here it is. Do try to expand over the ocean. Start by building the rooms there, and slowly move workshops over. You shouldn't be in low supply of magma-safe materials, and you can dig a channel from the cistern to obsidian-cast if you need stone.

Actually, I figured I'd be laying piping to allow dropping of boxes of ever-lasting fire into the ocean so we can build *on* the sea floor.  Building on top of the water is easy, building in the water requires dwarven engineering!

But i'll take a look tomorrow.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 07:28:06 am »

You can build on the sea floor. All the better, since it allows for irrigation. Anything but obsidian casting the ocean.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6