Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Succesion game - Above the Dismal Seas  (Read 9917 times)

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Above OCEAN game?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 07:21:29 pm »

Haha, I took this above ocean challenge a bit too far. I've decided I'd make an engraved obsidian fortress casted over the deep ocean soil layers, it took a while to find the perfect embark site. It's 3x6 for fps reasons. If someone can point me to an image hosting site, I'll post screenshots of the embark location.

These parameters are for vanilla DF make about 3-4 suitable seaside locations per gen (just an estimate), and about 1 deep sea soil location about once per 3-4 gens.

My embark location is 9 down and 3 across on the world map, directly left of a human town. It is sedimentary on the shore, so bauxite and magnetite should be there, though I haven't any while setting up my basic camp.

I haven't finished a re-gen yet so this might not be it, but I'm 95% sure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you're really keen about finding the perfect embark spot you'll probably want to figure out how to make hundreds of little oceans, I've seen it done with mountains.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 07:26:46 pm »

Ok... If I failed at genning a world (I probably did), can I use yours for this? I'm trying to have a sucession game.  Should've made that clearer...
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »

Certainly sounds interesting, but sadly I'm just not in a good position for succession games as of late.

I will, however, be keeping up with it.  Sounds like it could be good.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 07:57:18 pm »

Ok... If I failed at genning a world (I probably did), can I use yours for this? I'm trying to have a sucession game.  Should've made that clearer...

Yea, it's fine to use (I wouldn't have posted it otherwise), I just did a re gen and the seeds are solid.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:46 pm »

Also, we'll need to make food by fishing. What can you catch in terrifying oceans?
In terrifying oceans you don't exactly "catch" so much as "get caught". By skeletal whales. Which can therefore walk on land.

Enjoy your size 16 building destroyers.
Whales are building destroyers, you say? Type 1 or 2?
I'm having fun already.
Not normal whales, but all skeletal/zombie creatures get type 1 building destroyer and amphibious capabilities. It really is fun.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:44 pm »

Wait... Is it a volcano next to an EVIL ocean?
If not, I have to look for something else.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 08:16:28 pm »

Wait... Is it a volcano next to an EVIL ocean?
If not, I have to look for something else.

Yea, it's not. Probably best to keep searching.
You probably already know to crank up evil on the world gen parameters, but that will stop elves, humies and dorfs from being so common.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 08:19:52 pm »

As long as it isn't too high, they should survive.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 08:37:40 pm »

Ok, I generated a suitable world. It's 90% evil, so only dwarves, goblins, and kobolds remain. I'm trying to find a volcano near a shore that is both on the mainland and terrifying, as opposed to merely sinister or haunted.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 10:50:30 am »

Ok, I generated a suitable world. It's 90% evil, so only dwarves, goblins, and kobolds remain. I'm trying to find a volcano near a shore that is both on the mainland and terrifying, as opposed to merely sinister or haunted.

Haunted is fine.  I actually find that tends to maximize your chances at undead creatures.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 04:10:59 pm »

But does it lead to stronger undead? I prefer an undead whale to an undead anchovy.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 04:25:42 pm »

But does it lead to stronger undead? I prefer an undead whale to an undead anchovy.

Hey, you should see the schools of skeletal cod.  Now those are nasty.

Whales aren't savage afaik, so terrifying shouldn't increase the odds of them.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 10:00:54 pm »

Photobucket.com is the best free image hosting site I have seen.

A few more things. About the building destroyers, you could always make an obsidian fortress. Or make an undersea glass fortress with an underwater cast-obsidian wall. Oh man, I'm getting goosebumps.

If you REALLY want to kill your fps, you could drain the ocean into the aquifer to make a gigantic whirlpool. Then, if that's not fun enough, drop a few Boxes of Eternal Fire into the vortex.

Also, those "wimpy" mermaids are very useful. They have a Modvalue of 50. This means that a single masterful merperson-bone craft is worth a whopping 6000.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »

Well, while mermaids have valuable innards, they don't strike fear. Which is why I am making a funnel to kill them on my own fortress.
Anyway, building destroyers won't destroy constructions. They WILL break down every door in their way. And no, I don't want anyone to obsidian cast the ocean here. That would just be ground. If you want to build on the surface, try pumps, or "Tinderboxes."

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 04:58:28 pm »

I got inspired by the thread here and have started my own sea-fort in the relentless assault mod. I have a quite neat embark on a little shore with a magma pipe. Took some time to get through the local double-aquifer but things are running smoothly now. I have begun the construction of a Magmaduct/Access bridge to the real fortress, which will be an obsidian drop-cast. Perhaps with an outer glass wall if I get into constructing a second mold.

While the site has the rather annoying aquifer on the shore, the sea-floor itself is solid rock, so if I ever finish this fortress I just might use embark anywhere to build an even larger fort deep below the ocean (without any access to the shore)

But the actual shape of the fortress is still open: Should I settle for your everyday boring Cube-O-Rock or perhaps pursue a more unusual shape. Perhaps even a circle, though circular outline does make the interior design more cluttered, so I'd prefer to have my walls straight. Plus circles are very common in megaconstructions nowadays. (Though I might get into building a circular stairway shaft in the middle of the fort)

Therefore I would be very thankful of any design proposals. (Maximum horizontal size is 3 map tiles -1 to have a single tile in the center. The access bridge is two stories tall and 11 tiles wide, with a 3 tile wide magmaduct in the lower floor and 2-tile military walkways/power lines it's the sides)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6