Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Succesion game - Above the Dismal Seas  (Read 9914 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Succesion game - Above the Dismal Seas
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:24:49 pm »

Basically, have 1 local area tile of volcano, and have the rest extend over the ocean. The aquifers would take up most of the room underground (also preventing excavation in most areas), forcing you to pretty much make a magma glass furnace and build a huge green glass above ocean fort.
However, I just need a map where this is possible. It would require a volcano tile that juts out of the land in such a way that I can create a preferably 6X6 embark location. Also, I prefer it on mainland.
Anyone have a map where I set this up? A fort with little connection to the ground would be hilarious, especially when your army dodges ambushers right off the entrance bridge.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:12:03 pm by 100killer9 »
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Above OCEAN game?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:15:27 pm »

You mean an isolated island, but just close enough to the coast that you can have the whole island and a bit of coast on at most a 6x6 area?  Should be doable.  I haven't come across one myself, but this might help you make one:

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Advanced_world_generation

There's also a link to "the Worldgen Cookbook," a thread with a lot of different parameter sets with specific results in mind.  What you're looking for might already be there, but it's a little big.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:22:22 am »

See, that doesn't screen green glass *above* ocean fortress, that screams glass *in* ocean fortress =)  (preferably what little land there is would be heavily forested to allow for *clear* glass).

Also, you don't want a square embark area.  Try for a 3x8 to maximize water (and water depth change!)  Also, haunted/terrifying oceans a plus =)

If this is intended to be a succession game, I am so there.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:00:45 pm »

You think I'd use a good ocean with wussy mermaids?
Also, no in ocean forts. Constructions can't handle cave-ins...
And a rule against mass pumping the volcano into the ocean. It has to be volcano. Magma is nessecary.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:54 am »

But if you have magma, you can obsidian cast a tower above the ocean, which can be dropped down to create a makeshift island. There was a thread regarding this somewhere in the forums. It even had instructions how to create an undersea all glass tower by obsidian molding and cave-ins.

If you need a site, try this. Maybe add some minimum edge oceans.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:30:02 am »

And a rule against mass pumping the volcano into the ocean. It has to be volcano. Magma is nessecary.

You do not drop your glass house through the water column.  Of course it shatters.

No, we take advantage of crazy dwarven physics.  Put coke in magma-proof bin.  Immerse bin in magma.  Drop everburning coke in bin into water near edge.  Repeat along edge every so often.  Watch Ocean in target build area evaporate.  I mean, watch FPS freeze for about 5 minutes.  When it starts up again, see totally dry formerly UW area.  Proceed building on ocean floor.

Bins need to be replaced every so often to keep water out, because eventually the flaming coke burns up.  When you're done, stop replacing.  Ocean returns and submerges fort.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:53:10 pm »

You can also use leather, graphite blocks, charcoal, diamonds, anything that catches fire with !! around it.  As long as the bin (or possibly even barrel) is magma safe.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:31:55 pm »

You do not drop your glass house through the water column.  Of course it shatters.

No, we take advantage of crazy dwarven physics.  Put coke in magma-proof bin.  Immerse bin in magma.  Drop everburning coke in bin into water near edge.  Repeat along edge every so often.  Watch Ocean in target build area evaporate.  I mean, watch FPS freeze for about 5 minutes.  When it starts up again, see totally dry formerly UW area.  Proceed building on ocean floor.

Bins need to be replaced every so often to keep water out, because eventually the flaming coke burns up.  When you're done, stop replacing.  Ocean returns and submerges fort.
This could lead to fun. Also, you still couldn't dig, as the sea floor is an aquifer.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 05:09:22 pm »

The sea floor isn't always an aquifer.  Only certain stone levels... uh... aquify? 

<.< >.>

... are sufficiently porous to permit it to be an aquifer.  The sea floor appears to be wet stone because there's *ocean* right above it. 

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 05:12:24 pm »

Well, then, no digging down on the sea floor. Either build on or above it.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 05:15:47 pm »

Well, then, no digging down on the sea floor. Either build on or above it.

Might want to allow *one* level for food storage, so it doesn't spoil before it can be eaten.  But otherwise I'm totally behind this plan.

(There'll need to be a temporary living arrangements somewhere on shore while we arrange for the ocean to 'disappear' for awhile.  I recommend allowing soil delving for this purpose if only to minimize time spent not making a glass palace on the sea floor).

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 05:49:56 pm »

There would be a small soil fort for underground farming, food storage, and for starting out, yes.
Hmm... This fort would be quite hard to defend. Unless walls were built everywhere, fighters would dodge off the bridge.
If Gandalf could fall of a bridge so can them! FUN!
Also, we'll need to make food by fishing. What can you catch in terrifying oceans?

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 06:02:25 pm »

Also, we'll need to make food by fishing. What can you catch in terrifying oceans?
In terrifying oceans you don't exactly "catch" so much as "get caught". By skeletal whales. Which can therefore walk on land.

Enjoy your size 16 building destroyers.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 06:42:41 pm »

In terrifying oceans you don't exactly "catch" so much as "get caught". By skeletal whales. Which can therefore walk on land.

Enjoy your size 16 building destroyers.
Whales are building destroyers, you say? Type 1 or 2?
I'm having fun already.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 07:13:35 pm »

World in generation!
1: Me?
2: Squirreloid
3: Possibly you!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6