Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 95

Author Topic: The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game  (Read 204819 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 06:32:35 am »

Tentatively add me to the end of the list would you?
If the fort gets laggy you will have to skip me though as the computer I have atm is pretty crap.

OK, you are added, but by year 11 there are likely to be an awful lot of dwarves.  Still hey, it's a 4x4 plot so maybe it won't be too terrible.  Plus it's only a year.

To everyone:

Ok, I found a spot as below:

That's sand,  Magma, Wood, underground river, technically underground pool as well, and "other features".

We lack a proper sedimentary layer, but to be honest I've generated in the realm of 100 worlds looking for spots, and this is about the best I've found.  We may lack bauxite.  To be honest, fooling around with lava too much would probably cause excess death anyway.  You can still do magma forges and whatnot without bauxite, so we're good.  Just no pumping it everywhere.  (Unless you use Adamantine ore, but... uh... no.)

I'll set up the dwarves and embark now (notably I am late for work so I will post maybe over lunch).  To eternity!

Strike the earth!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:48:59 am by Dadamh »

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 09:16:50 am »

We dont need sedimentary thats what those goblins are for!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 10:44:01 am »

We dont need sedimentary thats what those goblins are for!

Yeah, honestly.  You are never short of iron bars when you have 800 (narrow Iron chain mail) laying around next to a magma forge.

I do wish you could designate a stockpile for "exotic clothing", the same as the shop.  Keeps all the gobbo crap in one place.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 11:05:15 am »

Omer has created Rigoth Akulnomensath, an adamantine mechanisms! 

:o
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:21:53 pm by Run Comrades »

Cave King

• Bay Watcher
  • "I leave from where the apostle arrived."
    • View Profile
    • Firefox
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 12:57:22 pm »

Yay we have sand for glass making and those blasted goblins will bring us our metal by the ton.
2012 Losing is fun!

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 02:20:41 pm »

I do wish you could designate a stockpile for "exotic clothing", the same as the shop.  Keeps all the gobbo crap in one place.

You can designate stockpiles to have (u)sable or (j) unusable items, I am fairly certain. It's in the stockpile settings.  Very useful! 

Cave King: Your signature is lol!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:22:37 pm by Run Comrades »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 04:16:16 pm »

The only thing I'm worried about is not having flux, but yeah, we can certainly make do.  We will forge our iron in blood of the greenskins.  Strike the earth!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 04:48:04 pm »

hmmm flux yes that'll be a problem, we can order some in easily enough, we wont need much unless we plan on a army in full plate steel, obsidian masterwork shortswords do wonders..

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 05:23:58 pm »

hmmm flux yes that'll be a problem, we can order some in easily enough, we wont need much unless we plan on a army in full plate steel, obsidian masterwork shortswords do wonders..

As I recall, they are equivalent to steel, but cost 'less' to make, depending on how you look at it.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 05:52:10 pm »

They are just like steal and they only require a peice of obsidian and wood, also a legendary stonecrafter is like 9999x more common then a legendary weapon smith.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:28 pm »

They are just like steal and they only require a peice of obsidian and wood, also a legendary stonecrafter is like 9999x more common then a legendary weapon smith.

Agh, I didn't even think of how often you get stonecrafters.  Ok, point taken.

Aside from that, I'm done playing my year.  I'll write it all up and post in a bit.  Things went smoothly.  No deaths, no flooding, and no starvation.

Cave King

• Bay Watcher
  • "I leave from where the apostle arrived."
    • View Profile
    • Firefox
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 08:57:02 pm »

The first year has passed and Eternal Halls has been founded.

PARTY!
2012 Losing is fun!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 09:00:33 pm »

"Err, Dvalin...   The keg tap's a little higher."

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 09:06:19 pm »

Ok, the year went pretty smoothly.  A typical first year.  Mostly just got the basics set up.

With regards to everyone's requests:  I set the skills you wanted and named those dwarves after you.  I believe Omer and Calvin are "she" at least, but I didn't really pay attention.  It's possible you did not get the personality traits you wanted.  Also the game picked Omer as expedition leader, as well as all other 'noble' appointments.  I replaced the bookkeeper with my dwarf, but I couldn't change the leader.  Sorry, Immortal, but it's random(ish).

Also I didn't name two of the dwarves, because only four people requested specific skills.  Others can name dwarves after themselves when it's their turn.

Ha!  I like the warhammer dwarves that have been posted while I've been writing.  Hope the report is up to snuff for the enthusiasm this game has generated.  Also the images are a bit blurry.  I'd forgotten how crap the JPG compression in MSPaint is.  Anyway...

Ok, on with the report.  I tried to keep in the personality profile for my given dwarf.  Here it is, the start.

The log of 'Dadam' Uthmikmelbil, "Shaketome" in the human tongue, Preliminary Leader of Zilirîton, "The Eternal Halls", Year 101

1st Granite:  We've arrived at our destination.  Deep in the forest, along a steep mountain slope, we are tasked with the new capital of our race.  The mountainhomes are depleted.  The soil is infertile and the mountains there offer no more metal or gemstones.  It will take time, but this new city, The Eternal Halls, will forever be the new home of our people!

That said, we have a long way to go.  I've been assigned as the temporary outpost manager, due to my having quite a head for numbers and a rather no-nonsense outlook on design.  This is not a task to be taken lightly.  Still, I can see a great deal of potential here.  The ground in the northeast corner of the area is warm, indicating magma below.  The fact that the magma vent doesn't break the surface is a good thing:  It protects us from the monsters and devils that dwell in such pipes.  The source of a cave river begins here.  The water leaks from the very rock, and so we will always have fresh water to drink, in the unthinkable occurrence that we run out of proper drinks.  Antila swears by the sound of his pick upon the mountain that he can hear the resonance of adamantine deep within.  I don't dare to hope.

Omer is the official leader by decree of the king, but as I've said, I'm in command for the first year.  Omer, Calvin, and Antila have begun mining a defensive hallway, as well as a stockpile for our supplies.  I'm not prone to excessive management, and have simply designated one room for all supplies for the moment.  Aqizzar has shown skill with an axe, and in lieu of hewing goblins, must settle for cutting lumber with me.  The farmers are awaiting a farm's construction.

We strike the earth today, the first day in our glorious history!

15th Granite:  Work has been moving quickly.  Antilla is skilled with a pick, and the other miners are quickly learning to tear through the stone as well.  A short distance below our main hallway, we've struck brown zircon, a semiprecious gem.  A good omen.

17th Granite:  I diverted the miners' efforts for a day to dig out a farm.  Granted, the sandy area there is removed from our fort entrance proper, but it is hopefully only a temporary solution.  Rith and Likot have begun farming plump helmets here.  The sand is of quite a fine quality.  Tapping the magma to the north could provide us with a very profitable glass industry.  Aqizzar and I have ceased felling the trees, having procured quite a stock of logs.

19th Granite:  The stockpile room is finished.  I've left a few large pillars in order to stabilize the mountain, as well as providing emergency entrances in the case of flooding or some other disaster.  I've set the miners to dig out some workshop space to the east, while being careful not to breach the cave river.  There is a daunting amount of goods to haul inside.

8th Slate:  These damned cave spider webs are everywhere.  The others say I should be glad that there is no giant spider along with them, but to be honest, I would prefer an immediately visible threat to these thousands of tiny vermin.  I was sleeping last night, and awoke with a web strung from the wall to my nose.  These terrible creatures nauseate me.  I hope the cats eat them all.

28th Slate:  Seems the gods are fickle and took my wish exactly the opposite as intended.  One of the cats is now mewling over a rather dangerous looking spider bite.  It can still move, but it won't abide being petted. 

In possibly more important matters, the food stocks are still being hauled inside.  I'm becoming a bit worried, as barrels can only keep food from rotting for so long outside of the earth's embrace.  I've ordered the main stockpile expanded, as I can see we will run out of room quickly.  The miners are grumbling, but we all knew that this was going to be a lot of work.

1st Felsite:  Perhaps Felsite will be a lucky month, given how much of the stone surrounds us.  Rith has put aside farming in order to gather masses of the webbing left all over by the cave spiders.  I am aware that silken cloth is luxurious, and that we can sell it to humans as well as our dwarven brethren, but I do hate the spiders themselves.

On a brighter note, our farm is fully operational, and we are seeing returns on the planted seeds.  Food shouldn't be a problem for a while.

I was viewing the source of the river today, basking the mist of the falls, when I heard strange animal calls inside, and saw light reflecting in several sets of eyes.  I've ordered the source of the river walled off from the outside.  We can open it again when we need the water, but I don't want an invasion of snakemen to squelch our efforts before we even begin.

10th Felsite:  Calvin informs me that he's struck Orpiment.  I'm not exactly fond of bright yellow stone, but I suppose it has it's decorative uses.  It's luster is particularly attractive for furniture.  Chairs and the like.

27th Felsite:  I am becoming more than incensed over these damned cave spiders!  Their webs are everywhere!

2nd Hematite:  It's now summer.  Speaking of Hematite, the slops of the mountain glisten with it in several places.  We have a few piles of it in the stockpile already.  We will not be short weapons if it comes to war here. 

I've designated a trade depot to be built.  The caravan from the mountainhomes comes soon and I won't be caught unprepared.

Speaking of designations, I've marked an area to be dug out for "Founders' Hall", a small set of rooms for we seven that were brave enough to start this endeavor.  The name is perhaps a bit dry, but to be honest I'm not much of a writer of flowery prose.

6th Hematite:  Calvin has finished designing and constructing the depot.  The building seems accessible and the design is more than adequate.  We've constructed a number of workshops suitable for stone crafting, and I've told most of the more idle folk that they should spend their time practicing this craft.  Small trinkets as such are an excellent way to endear your settlement to potential immigrants back home.  Calvin also has struck a cluster of Resin Opals in Founders' Hall.  These gems aren't likely to make us rich, but they do have a beauty.

10th Hematite:  We've struck Bandfire Opal, another semiprecious gem.  This mountain seems full of wealth and beauty.

3rd Malachite:  I have again encouraged everyone, skilled or otherwise, to spend time making stone crafts.  It's not as though we don't have tons of stone to use for it.  The floors and hallways are littered with it.  Aqizzar and I have set ourselves to building bins and barrels for storage.  Stockpile space is at a slight premium, and dozens of stonecrafts laying loose in the floor will not help the situation.  Rith's constant weaving of spider silk cloth is growing to be an issue as well.

3rd Galena:  Founders' Hall is complete for the moment.  Still a bit rough, but the beds and door are all in place.  Omer, our appointed leader, has been assigned the opal encrusted door and bed, as well as the room at the end of the hallway.  A place of prestige.

I've also designated a relatively small dining hall excavated.  Nothing extravagant, but it will provide a place to rest and eat together.

15th Galena:  I've told Rith to stop collecting the webs.  We are half buried in silk cloth, and the stockpile is overflowing.  I've also ordered the stockpile expanded again.  Speaking of stocks, I've begun work on keeping our books updated.  Omer has expressed distaste in this work, and I'm a borderline mathematician anyway. 

1st Limestone:  It is now Autumn.  The caravan from the mountainhomes should soon arrive to trade, as well as to see how the work is proceeding.  I do not intend to disappoint.  We have plenty of cloth and stone crafts to trade, even if the crafts are not exactly expert quality.  I've begun work smoothing the walls and flooring in the dining area. 

I am impressed with everyone.  No one is idle for more than a moment.  We are all working hard to establish our lasting legacy here.

13th Limestone:  A kobold thief was spotted!  Our camel, brought to lead the wagon, scared it away.  Those these lower creatures are skittish, we may still need more reliable defenses at some point. 

14th Limestone:  The thief was seen again, this time inside the fort.  He tried to steal a small kitten, but the animal's yowling scared it off.  I am uncertain how the kobold found it's way inside without being seen, the entryway is extremely heavily traveled.

15th Limestone:  Rith seems to have scared off the recurring thief.  Just in time as well: The caravan has been spotted in the distance.  I've ordered our crafts and silk to be moved to the depot.  I'm confident Omer can get a good deal in trade for these items.

19th Limestone:  A stray horse, one of the animals that was brought to pull the wagon, was found dead, torn to chunks in the wilderness outside.  We could find no other animal likely to do this, and there has been no sightings of anything hostile.  It's a little eerie.

25th Limestone:  Omer reports that the trading went well.  We've traded our crafts and silk, both fairly common materials for our young city, for an anvil, a barrel of beer, and a couple cages.  We purchased a donkey as well.  I've found little to be lacking in our placement here, and so Omer only asked for drinks next year.  We have no plants aside from plump helmets, and wine does wear on you after a time.

5th Sandstone:  Thinking about the wine situation reminded me to expand our farming area a bit.  I have done so.  The stockpile has been expanded again as well.  Omer has finally worked out an export agreement with the mountainhomes.  They were so impressed with our silk here that they've requested primarly gloves and headwear.  This shouldn't be difficult to produce at all. 

26th Sandstone:  I've told Likot and Rith to begin brewing wine.  We are by no means low on drinks, but you can never be too safe on that front.  Besides, aging will only help the flavor.

1st Timber:  I've decided to dig a tunnel to search for the magma I suspect to be present in the northeast.  The form of this tunnel is a staircase downwards, in the center of the three lakes in thea area.

11th Timber:  Omer has broken through to the magma pipe, but it's infested with fire imps!  I have crafted a floor on the surface, to block the creatures within.  Still, we now have a proper idea of the layout of the pipe.  Future rules may attempt to set up magma powered forges here.  I did think to bring along a few steel bars to block the imps coming down any channel that would be used to power forges, but I have no access to bauxite.  This means that in all likelihood, the dwarf that broke into the magma pool would, by necessity, be trapped behind the same bars that would block the imps.  I am not willing to sacrifice any of our founders thus.  If some heroic immigrant with a death wish arrives later, so be it.

I do leave notice here than mechanisms built with stone other than bauxite will only melt and destroy the setting for the bars, rendering them useless.  The only other suitable material for such mechanisms would be adamantine, but that is such an excessive waste as to be appalling.

17th Timber:  I have begun engraving the dining room now that there is time for it.  I've also told the others to resume stone crafting, in preparation for the possible elven caravan to arrive in the spring.  Word of this city has apparently spread quickly.

1st Moonstone
:  Winter is upon us.  I foresee no difficulty.  We are awash in food and drink, and there have been no true problems since arrival.  Aside from these spiders.

27th Moonstone:  Moonstone has proven to be an uneventful month.  Though I've been called somewhat morbid for even thinking it, I've finished "Founders' Rest", a hallway with adjoining tombs for each of us.  Our eternal rest is a serious consideration.

1st Obsidian:  Opal passed without incident.  We are now in the final month of my appointed year of initial planning.  Looking over my time as preliminary manager, I feel I've done well enough.  We have the needed supplies for survival, and we have even begun turning a profit. 

1st Granite:  My time as leader is over, and I don't regret it.  Omer is more than capable of taking control of the settlement.  I find such responsibility a bit beyond me besides.  In the time I've spent over the past year engraving the dining hall, I've found that I prefer craftsmanship over the rigors of leading a group of my fellow dwarves.

The books need keeping, and the walls need decoration, and those are my callings.  Omer, the fort is yours.  Keep her well.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:08:32 pm by Dadamh »

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 09:12:45 pm »

I suppose I could be less of an idiot, and actually post the save.

http://rapidshare.com/files/132496974/region13.zip.html

Also, if anyone is terribly superstitious and doesn't like that this ended up being in the folder "region13", you can rename the folder easily enough.  Just make it "region3" or whatever and it will be fine and possibly less unlucky.

Anyway, RunComrades, you're up.  Youv'e been reasonably active in this thread and the forum in general, so I won't bother PMing you over it.

Good luck!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 95