Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Town Of Coldness - North America  (Read 3369 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Town Of Coldness - North America
« on: February 16, 2024, 06:37:11 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - A Half-Hearted Start

The dwarf sharpened the quill pen and then filled it full of ink from a nearby ink stone.

The quill pen had once been the tail feather of a turkey.  A turkey who had not been happy with the dwarf.  And the ink stone was just a stone that had a small dent in it that allowed it to be used to crush a dimple cup, mix it with water, which then could be used as ink.

The dwarf's body was thin with some fat on it.  It was if he was just recovering from a long diet.  His beard was of medium length when compared to others of his race.  It, and his long sideburns, were both braided.  His moustache had been simply combed.  He also had a long pony tailed tied back to keep it out of way.  His hair was chestnut with a touch of gray.

His dark yellow-brown eyes were close set and his lips kind of thick over a broad chin.  His hooked nose was narrow.   His skin, a shade of beige, was wrinkled

The gray hair and wrinkles suggested he was at least in his 80s. 

On the rhyolite table in front of him was a pile of rough papers.  He placed his tip of his pen carefully onto the top sheet and with squinted eyes started to write.

The Faithful Hall had sent us, the Glory of Brave, to found the The Town of Coldness.  Don't look at me, I didn't pick the names.

It took us over two weeks to get here.  On the 15th of Granite we arrived here.  It was early spring but the snow was still on the ground and the nearby river, or the streams that were the start of the river, were still frozen.

We happy seven were sent with a wagon full of weapons, tools, food, drink, even some rocks, along with chickens, pigs, cows, goats, and tuckeys, to start a town.  And I mean town.  We've been told to keep the populace at a reasonable number.  They also gave us some yaks to pull the wagon.  So we have a lot of livestock to work with. 

He stopped to fill the pen with more ink, took a few seconds to read what he written down and, then, continued.

Plently of trees.  Walnut trees, hazels trees, huge ginkgo trees, so lots of wood.  Hills at the source of the steams that make the river.  So lots of room to dig out chambers and tunnels and such.

Also noticed, even with the snow, there were prickle berry bushes, cranberry bushes, and even saw some muskmelons.  Many may not be ready for harvest, sadly.  But in autumn we may have some more berries to brew and seeds to grow on the surface.

So the Likot picked up her pick and got to work on the first tunnel.  While Zasit and Thikut grabbed their axes to cut down some trees and clear a area to create a pasture for the cows and yaks.  Of course the pigs and birds would be kept inside.

Once we had a inside, of course.  I also asked Dodok to collect the plants. At least those we could use.

One of the woodworkers, Zasit, dropped a tree on himself.  What a great start.

Outside of that most things went well.  We dug storage and work space in the dirt levels.  Along with farming plots and pens for the birds and pigs.  We dug down deeper for stone and started to dig out space for future proper bedrooms. 

We had brought four nest boxes with us so we didn't need to do anything to the pens with the birds but toss in them in, put in the nests, and put up a door which was then locked.  We wanted some baby chicks before we start stealing their eggs.  We just have to wait.

Of course the first workshops were the basic ones.  Kitchen, Still, Carpenter's Workshop, Stoneworker's Workshop, Farmer's Workshop.  A table and throne was made so I could have a proper office.

I placed them between the Farmer's Workshop and plots.  Maybe not that proper office but it gave me something to sit and work.  Mebzuth the Mason, well, she was swift at her job.  Which is good.  We have lots of stone to work with.

He stopped as he refilled his pen and glanced at the four farming plots.  A nanny goat stared back at him as it walked over some of the plump helmets growing in the neartest plot.

He went back to his writing.

There was that giant hamster that our dwarfs ran into when trying to hunt.  Not much out there.  The giant hamster and a eagle.  I don't think we will be seeing a lot of animals in this region.  Too cold, not enough plants to feed larger herds, or maybe just bad luck?

Also we only brought five copper bolts for the three crossbows.  So the bolts that missed the hamster had to be collected for reuse.

Once the streams melted we found they produced pretty clean water.  Also turns out Sazir liked to fish. I did warn the others to stay out of the water.  And when it freezes to stay off the ice.  It is deep and most of us don't know how to swim.  In fact I don't think anybody among us knows how to swim.

Of course the bedrooms were last to be dug out and it is slow work smoothing them out and getting them ready.  Don't want to rush the bedrooms.  In fact when summer came we still had not finished any of them.

At least summer will bring us warmer weather and maybe more animals?  And better fishing?

signed,
ingiz Swordtundra - Expedition Leader, Book Keeper, And Manager
1st of Hematite, Year 150

He sat up and sighed.  Not a lot of details.  But still, it gave the folks back home a idea about what was happening.  And that their friends and family were still alive.

He cleaned the pen and yawned.  There were a few problems he had not passed on.  He didn't want anybody to worry too much about the settlers.   But...

The river had thawed yet it wasn't ready giving them much in the way of fish.  They had fished one fish out of the river.  A perch.  And the streams would likely prove a bad water source when they froze again during the cold months.

Alot of the milk they had brought with them had gone to waste because, once it had been turned into cheese, nobody had stored it into barrels or pots or whatever.  Miasma had filled the chamber containing the Still, the Fishery, the Farmer's Workshop, the Farming Plots and his office.  Lucky for him.

Not ALL the cheese had gone bad before being used in biscuits.  So that was good.  If you liked cheese biscuits. 

They were living on biscuits and a very limited selection of booze.  Dwarven ale, Dwarven beer, Dwarven rum, and Dwarven wine.  In other words the drinks they had brought with them in the wagon.  And everybody was doing more than one job.  In some cases three, or four, or five.

In fact he was also a carpenter, milker, cook, planter, herbalist, stone carver, appraiser, and diagnosthician.  He would likely end up the Broker after all this.

He sighed.  All settlements started small.  The problem was this one was meant to STAY small.   A few waves of migrants and that would be it.  It would be closed off.  Outside of native born and a few petitions for becoming a resident that MIGHT be approved if the person had any special skills.  That would be it.

He also reminded himself they needed to make a barn around the livestock on the surface.  Besides predators there was the winter that would make the surface a frozen nightmare.  It would also keep the Yak Bull from running off all the time.

Maybe the ravens were scaring it?  The giant hamster and eagle had left with the coming of summer and been replaced by a flock of ravens.  Hopefully they didn't steal any of the items still on the surface.

He signed the letter, waited for it to dry, folded it, sealed with wax and placed it on the table.  Once the first traders showed up from the Mountainhomes he would give it to them to be delivered to the King Fikod Urmimoddom.  The Ruler of the Faithful Hall.  And a well-known drunk who came up with stupid ideas.

"Like this one," ingiz murmured to himself as he went to sleep on the floor.

Before writting the letter he had eaten a biscuit of cave lobster which had been made up of minced cave lobster and minced cave lobster.  And washed it down with Dwarven rum.  He preferred artichoke wine himself.  But what could you do?

As he tried to sleep on the ground he frowned at the buzz of the flies.  He detested flies and their buzzing.  But the underground tunnels and chambers seem to attract them.  Maybe the underground rooms were warmer than the surface?  Even with the coming of the summer sun?

What a horrible place.  Cold and wet.  Hopefully the bedrooms would be finished soon.  And, of course, a proper dining room dug out.

As he slipped into a deep sleep he also mumbled to himself about remembering to build a Trade Depot before fall came.  They were in the middle of a, somewhat, populated region and they were looking forward to some trade.

----------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Welcome to the Town of Coldness.  This is a modded world but I am not using any mods.  I just went into the code to, I hope, limit the populace of the Fortress to twenty adults.  Now, we will likely still grow if babies are born, I didn't limit children, and if we get enough drinks to make a tavern we can approve resident petitions.

So there can be growth but it will take time.  I also made sure to say "nope" to vampires, werewolves, and so on.  There may still be Forgotten Beasts and such, but that's life.

With the hard coded two migrant waves we will likely reach twenty adults before the end of the year. 

I want to keep it small so I can dive into the dwarves and their stories and events and so on.  Once you get over twenty if starts to become more society history than individual stories.  If that makes sense?

And yeah, I found a map of North America and made sure we have a Pole on the North.  Sorry Canada. 

The Town is someplace just a little west of 'Old Man River', in a cold forest, but it is hard to pinpoint on the map because it is close to other towns and cities, so it does not show up when you center on the settlement.  Kind of a flaw with how the map works.

If I remember right we are close to both apes and tree huggers.  Er...humans and elves.  So trade with them should help expand on our food sources.  In other words seeds, plants, and more livestock?

Also by not using mods from the workshop it won't break the save when the Adventure Mode update happens.  I hope.  I want to keep this save and see how long is lasts. 

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 10:59:49 am by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Town Of Coldness - North America
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 07:26:12 pm »

Nice idea! I like reading individual writeups on this site too, not just big succession games. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 07:43:25 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - The Faithful Hall

The Faithful Hall was a dwarven civilization that came into existence in the year 1 in the world known as the Domain of Legend.  Its ruler was Queen Vabok Slingsprays. 

She had many lovers and many break ups.  But never seemed to marry.  And died of old age in the year 98.  Leaving behind two sons.

The eldest, born in the year 7, the son of Queen Vabok and one of her lovers, was named Adil Futuregilds.  In year 25 he became a bowyer and, in early 26, a treasurer of the Guild of Uncertainty.  A bowyer Guild he had joined in 25.

He married, cheated on his wife with a lover, broke up with his lover, got another one, broke up with her, and so on.  Fought in the assault on Freetrade in the winter of 84 and survived.

Then got married again and, more importantly, became King in the year 98 when his Mother died.

Started cheating on his second wife and fought in the defense of Pillerclouted in the year 103.  Where he was killed by the elf Ditari Swallowshell.  And eaten by the same elf.  As they do.  The elf also claimed Dankstrikes of Furious Morass.  This was a Iron Crossbow that was the symbol of the authority of the rulers of Faithful Hall that Adil had been given when he had become King.  He was the first and last ruler to have the crossbow. 

No tradition like a made up tradition.

Adil left behind one wife, two dead wives, eight sons and five daughters. 

The third ruler was Fikod Swamclostered, a male dwarf, son of Olin Lordmirrors and Adil Futuregilds.   The latter's eldest son.  He became King in the year 104.  He had a few lovers, one wife, one ex-wife, and had fought in a few battles by the year 150.

Even found time to pop out four sons.  Along with becoming a drunk.  Though when looking over his family's history that isn't a surprise.  The members of the Royal Family were not the best role models.

It is he who sent out the Glory of Brave to found the Town of Coldness.  During one of his nights of drinking and partying.

"And NO migrants after the first two waves!" he giggled as he drained another stone mug of Dwarven wine.  "Get it?  Get it?  HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!"

Then he passed out.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 02:41:35 am »

Hello again, I'm posting to keep track of this thread as I did on the last one.

Where is the town located on the map?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 08:47:59 pm »

Hello again, I'm posting to keep track of this thread as I did on the last one.

Where is the town located on the map?

That's the problem.  IF you center on the Town it isn't highlighted.  Seems if there are too many towns or cities close together the map can't highlight your town.

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 04:29:35 pm »

But like, based on your knowledge of the US map, where is it? Now I wanna know too.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 12:55:15 am »

But like, based on your knowledge of the US map, where is it? Now I wanna know too.
Comparing it to a map of the US and trying to line up the southern tip of Lake Michigan and trying to line it up with a bay on the west coast I was able to pinpoint where I think the Town of Coldness. is...I think the settlement is in Wyoming?  We're east of the mountains along the western border of the state so...in Yellowstone National Park I think....? 
Weird.  You would think here would be more animals besides eagles, ravens, and giant hamsters.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 05:11:27 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 08:29:26 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - First Migrants

The Expedition Leader Swordtundra sharpened the quill and filled it with ink before looking over the paper on his desk.  A fresh, empty, clean sheet of paper to fill with his thoughts about the summer he had just lived through.

He pondered for a few seconds and then started to write.

Greetings from the Town of Coldness.  Though, we're a Outpost.  With the coming of summer I ordered the corner stones of the future barn to be placed.  We had stone.  I figured we may as well use some of it to plan out the size of the above ground structure.

I want the barn to be up by winter.  Also I ordered the building of a Trade Depot.  Though, to be honest, I was not sure what we would be producing as a export good.  Tourist Mugs?

The Trade Depot was finished within a few weeks.  Pretty fast when compared to the other projects.

And in the Kitchen some of the food was going rotten.  We needed more barrels.  Even the fishing is better.  We even found some mussels.  But even some of the fish have gone bad because of a lack of barrels. 

He stopped and wondered if he should add the next sentence.  But did so anyway.  He was a honest dwarf and didn't want to make it sound like everything at the outpost was strong beer and meat hot off the bone.  Or rotten fish.

He filled up the pen and added.

In early summer the bedrooms were still being worked on and at one point I was sleeping in the hallways.

There, a touch of reality.  He nodded and continued.

On the 5th of Malachite Sazir decided to become a career fisherdwarf.  He seemed to enjoy it.  Good for him. 

We also now had a quern good for grinding stuff.

He stopped and decided that line, while correct, was kind of boring and stupid.  He was never one who had been good with words.  He took a lung full of air, filled the pen and continued.

On the 16th of Malachite, in the middle of summer, the first migrants arrived.

Four new citizens.  Which was good.  Because we have finally dug out the large chamber that we would name The Nut of Crafts.  Our new Tavern and meeting place.  Just in time for the new arrivals.  It only had a few tables and chairs.  And was still kind of rough.  But it was underground and it was a start.

The amazing thing is that news travels fast when it comes to a new tavern.  By the 22nd of Malachite we already have two visiting humans.  One, a Hammerman, telling a story in the Nut of Crafts.  With another, a Maceman, listening to him.  Though the Maceman seems to be a woman. 

In fact a third human, a Swordsman, showed up shortly afterwards.

Being so busy I had to select a Tavern Keeper.  So I looked over the records of our citizens and decided on Mafol Sculpturetools who was a good talker and was one of the new migrants.  He had come with his wife, Lor Diamondtools, and I assume they both came to start a new life.  And what is better than to find a new job? 

No kids yet, but I may expand one of the bedrooms so they have a room together.  Married couples need their private time.

On the 28th of Galena everybody had a bedroom.  And elves were visiting the tavern.  Interesting.  Four armed with bows and two armed with spears.

They all seemed to get along with the humans and the citizens.

So far so good.

signed,
1st of Limestone, Year 150

He signed the letter, dried it, folded it, and sealed it with wax.  Then added it to the first letter.  To wait for a caravan.

He yawned.  There was still information he had not bothered to add to the letter.  For example, they now had a Craftdwarf's Workshop where they were making mugs and pots. 

And with the coming of autumn only a few ravens seemed to be in the area.  Even the eagle had left.  He wasn't looking forward to winter.  Well, at least he had a proper bed to sleep in!

Hopefully the barn was finished before the snow came.  Also, even with the spoiled food, they had enough to last them the rest of the year and also a enough drinks.  Booze can't spoil.  Can it?

He headed to his bedroom.  Having a proper bed, chest, and cabinet helped make it feel like a true, well, home.  And sleeping in a bed was better than one the floor.  And the door kept the flies out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:01:07 am by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 10:26:35 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - The Cast

The Dwarfs who lived in the Town of Coldness were a interesting bunch.

The Expedition Leader, ingiz Swordtundra, you already know a little about.  Though, he isn't as thin as when he first came to the forest with the other six settlers on the wagon pulled by the yaks.

So let us examine the others.  The other six who came with the Leader.

Likot Tamedconstruct, who was mostly a Miner, though once again many of the citizens wore many hats, was a female dwarf who was slow to tire.  A good thing for a Miner.  She was also patient and a good ability to focus.  And utterly fearless.  Like many females of her race she was beardless. 

She also did some stone carving, mason work, and engraving.  Seems she liked to work with stone.  Though she could cook, brew, and even clean fish in a pinch.

Then there was Zasit Versegems.  A Woodworker who also liked to milk, cook, work with stone.  And he is mighty!  Whatever that means.  Sadly he is slow to heal and is clumsy.

To make things worse, he didn't understand social relationships and had problems focusing.  In fact he was going, at the moment, to a meeting.  Seems a lot of his needs were going unmet like being with family, acquiring objects, and getting into...fights?

Then there was Dodok Diamondburied, the Farmer, who was likely the most overworked of all the citizens.  He also makes cheese, milks, brews, and cooks.  Even works with stone and is a Bone Doctor.  Which means if there is a hospital he will likely run it.

He was patient, good with music, high willpower, but poor analytical abilities.  He is a tad upset about not being able to pray and wants more excitement in his life. 

Next is Thikut Armorstances, a Woodworker, who had a lot of patience and good kinesthetic sense BUT had problems with words, poor creativity, no focus, greedy, cares nothing about what people think of him, kind of stubborn...he has issues.  And clumsy. 

But he can also brew, cook, and plant, so kind of helpful when it comes to the food supply.  Which is funny, cause he is thin.  Think being around food all the time he would be fat.

Mebzuth Holdroof, the Mason, was also skilled at working with wood AND metal.  And, of course, other skills like milking, brewing, planting, so on, so forth.

Sadly, she is quick to tire and slow to heal. 

Then there was Sazir Inkoceans, the Peasant who became a Fisherdwarf, had a few other skills, like brewing and planting.

Like others he was missing prayer, acquiring objects, and fighting. 

Next are the First Migrants.  There was only four of them.

The first was the Woodcutter Unib Oiledsiege.  She had a few skills that were useful, such as brewing, and other that were not so useful at the moment, such as beekeeping.  Also at 51 years she is kind of young.  And has two lovers.  Neither of which are in the Outpost.  In fact she seems to have no relationships with ANYBODY in the Outpost.  She needs to make some friends.

She is very strong but slow to heal.  She rarely gets sick and is slow to tire but is very flimsy.  Kind of a mix there. 

Then there is Lor Diamondtools, who was a Stone Carver, and married to the Tavern Keeper.  But was not skilled in much else.  She carved and crafted stone.  That's it.

Seems to be bald or she shaved her head.  Might be a cultural thing. 

Next is Id Sunsworked, a Clothier, but he can also mill, plant, carve stone, and other tasks that are useful.  Also he seems to have a lot of military skills.  A former soldier maybe?

He is tough and quick to heal.  But also clumsy and tires quickly, and susceptible to disease....maybe not the best idea to put him in the military.  Once they had one.

At least his list of unmet needs was pretty short.  This likely makes him the happiest of the bunch.

Then there is the Tavern Keeper, Mafol Sculpturetools, who was about to enjoy a meal of cave lobster biscuits.  And seems pretty happy.

When not keeping a tavern he works with stone mostly, but can also carve bone and is also a weaponsmith.

And so those are the eleven citizens. Will there be more coming?  We will see.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 03:52:22 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - Preparing For Winter

Swordtundra found it easier to make the ink on the stone.  With a quern it was easier to grind the dimple cups to turn it into powdered dye.  Then just add water!

He grunted and looked down at his left foot.  He reached for a mug and drank some dwarven wine to try to counter act the pain.  At least there was plenty of booze.

He made sure the pen was sharp, filled it up, and started to write on his third letter.

With the coming of autumn I was slightly worried.  I wanted the barn finished.  But also there was other projects that needed to be done.  I wanted to make sure that WE were also safe and well stocked.  I picked a spot outside that the citizens could gather from the trees. 

A gathering zone, like the fishing zone, and hoped that this did not take away from the work on the barn.  We have stepladder so it should not be too bad to get into the trees.  It is a small zone with walnut, pear, sand pear,  apricot, and hazel trees.

Also ordered a Mechanic's Workshop to be made.  We'll want cage traps for spring.  I want to see if we can get some wild meat with more passive means.  And maybe working drawbridges for the entry way. And a floodgate for for when we start working on a fresh water source.

Also ordered a altar to be made.  So we can create a temple.  Though, not sure to who or what it will be for.

Then the caravan came from the Faithful Hall on the 14th Limestone.  Welcomed.  But also a warning of winter's approach.  I looked over our goods and realized we did not have much to trade.  But whatever we decided to trade we needed to get the best deal we could.

I made the Clothier, Id, the Broker.  The best one to pick would have been the Tavern Keeper but he already has too many hats to wear. 

I decide to sell them all the fish we have not yet cooked.  We have nuts and fruits from the gathering place and enough prepared food and drink to last this season and the next.  So I have no problem selling the river's bounty.  What little there is.

Also I will sell them three alunite mugs.  We have a bunch of rhyolite mugs and will have more mugs before winter.

He stopped, refilled the pen and glanced over the paper.  He licked his lips and continued.

Also the sows gave birth to two piglets.

To be honest I think we need another axe.  We only have two and it is slowing us down when it comes to chopping down trees.  Also maybe more seeds?

As the Broker and the others dealt with the caravan I met with the Liaison Bomrek Theaterlearn.  I asked for nothing.  Knowing that anything I asked for import would cost us a arm and a leg.

In return he demanded we export ammunition.  Seems they needed it back in the Mountainhomes.  I was somewhat surprised as I was not aware of a war.

I promised him we would do our best.  I wonder if wooden bolts would work?  The traders would offer 189 percent the price for ammo for next year.  So it was worth a try.  I handed him the two letters I had completed.

The Broker reported that all our goods added up 57 credits and the only axe they had was made up of iron.  Too rich for us.  We could get five plump helmets.  We could brew them and get spawn from them.

Everything else was just too pricey.  Or something we could make.  Or do without.

So I told them to trade for the mushrooms.  Which he did.

The caravan seemed heppy.  Not like they could carry much - they had no wagons.  I think wagons needed a proper road to get to the depot.  More work.

Also, after I left the depot I was told the cows gave birth to a couple of calves.  And the nanny goats has also given birth to two kids.  Also I noticed somebody among the migrants had brought a pet ram.  The Keeper's pet it seems.  I ordered it to the barn.

Then there was news that the turkey eggs and the chicken eggs had hatched.  Wonderful.  Soon we would need a Butcher Shop to kill the adults and allow the chicks to grow up into adults.  Some could be placed in another pen with more nest boxes and we could slowly grow our flocks.

By next year, if we survive the winter, we will have plenty of meat.  I hope.  Outside of fish.

On the 23rd of Limestone we have a bunch of new visitors.  Humans.  One armed with a mace, one armed a crossbow, one armed with a spear, and a Lord Consort.  Are they here to visit the tavern or ask questions?  Some of the human visitors were asking about locations of this and that. 

Seems these humans are asking about Friendlyblockades.  Never heard of it.

And while mining for more stone we found black opal.  Maybe we will have gems the next time the traders visit?

Anyway, I ordered the Kitchen to switch to making some fine meals.  Now that we have more storage.  Also I want the meals to be more filling.  So they started making stews instead of biscuits.  Mosty from the plants and nuts and such that we had just gathered.  So instead of more raw mussel biscuits and rainbow trout biscuits the kitchen is now producing ginkgo seeds stew and walnut stews.

The rain had come and the water had frozen on the 5th of Sandstone.  Seems the cold came early here.  I was worried at the time.  The caravan needed to leave soon unless they planned to get trapped in the snow.

And on the 9th of Sandstone, we got a visit from a Bear person.  Who was attacked by the caravan guards.  Oh boy.

He refilled the pen while frowning.  Idiot guards.  Shooting at wild life.

There is bunch of Black Bear folks outside. I didn't know if I should call everybody to arms and see if we could, at least, kill the one near the entry way.  Or try to see if we could get the bridges to work and close the outpost up like a turtle.  But the barn wasn't finished yet.  The walls were up but the roof was still not up.

At least the one outside our outpost is wounded and could not stand.  Maybe the guards will get him before he caused trouble?

He sighed, rubbed his forehead, filled up the pen, and continued his story.  As he tried to ignore the pain in his left foot.

Without being told to the Woodworker, Zasit, attacked the Bear Man with a crossbow.  Not that he had any bolts.

I ordered Sazir, yeah the fishing dwarf, to arm himself and become the Milita Commander of the Copper Tattoos.  He was the nearest thing to a Commander.

I picked two others, Id and Dodok, to join the unit.  Then out they went to join the idiot Zasit.

As they got their act together I, and the Tavern Keeper, joined the idiot.  Luck was with us as the poor thing was already wounded and bleeding heavily.  Though Mafol, the Tavern Keeper, did lose some teeth.

And I killed it.  Poor thing.  If the traders had not shot at it this may not of even happened.

While this was happening...the next wave of migrants arrived! 

And my left foot had been cut open.  So we needed a hospital.  And quickly.  So one of the empty bedrooms was made into a hospital.  Named the Golden House.  Dodok, the Farmer, was made the Chief Medical Dwarf.  And the rest of the staff were picked at random. 

Even as I ordered this I heard more reports.  Dwarfs were being forced to cancel their work, outside, due to the damn Black Bear folk.

And one of them was attacking the pet ram.  I had to send out the unit.  You can't have the livestock being attacked.

But I ordered the Doctor out of the Copper Tattoos.  Cog and Kol, both new arrivals, were recruited and the unit was sent out to save the stupid ram.

The ram was found dead.  Yet the animal folk were so quick to flee I ordered the soldiers back.  But they refused to break off and I had to order them all out.  Though....one was already sleeping and another was just picking up their equipment.  So only two, using their bare hands, went after the Bear Man.

And more migrants keep showing up during this. 

Not the best first impression. 

They finally beat the poor thing to death, after both were hurt themselves, and started to come back.  Two dead Black Bear Folk.  And a few wounded dwarfs.  Including me.

He once again stopped and frowned at the letter.  Was these events his fault?  Had he been too...complacent?

Most colonies didn't need a military or hospital in their first year.  Now they had wounded, needed to fight off wild folks, and even had no source of fresh water for the tiny hospital.  And would NOT have any fresh water until the steams melted again with the coming of warmer weather.

He filled the pen and went back to writing.

Another dwarf was attacked and at this point I decided I needed to fill the Copper Tattoos with unwounded citizens to kill the Black Bear folk before they attacked more of our own people.

After selecting as many as I could, pushing the Copper Tattoos up to eight soldiers, I sent them out to kill one of the Bear folk.  I would target each wild creature one at a time to give our troops the numbers.  I hoped.

And another Black Bear folk was killed.

At this time, on the 14th of Sandstone, the merchants who had started the damn thing, announced they were leaving soon.  And even they were being attacked by one of the Bear folks.

They killed the Bear Folk before leaving.  Seems the Bear folks were in the hills west of our barn and THAT is where the traders were heading.  So their guards cleared out anything in their way they felt was dangerous.

I was told everybody was in the tavern and not doing any work.  Like working on the barn or preparing for winter.  They were listening to poems being told to them by visitors.  So I shut it down.

I declared the tavern closed and made it into a simple dining room.  Called The Dining Hall.

Now they are all in the Dining Hall waiting for somebody to bring them food and drink.  So I closed the Dining Hall.

And they still just stayed there.  Complaining about having no food or drink.  And as nobody was mining, giving us stone, those who WERE trying to produce something are complaining about a lack of stone.

I ordered a Still built into the Ex-Dining Hall and disbanded the Copper Tattoos.  That didn't work either.

Then I realized what may be happening.  Maybe they were trapped because of the Burrow order?  Even though it had been cancelled?

He sighed, rubbed his eyes, and shook his head before continuing.

So I cancelled it.  Even though it was no longer an order.  I just cancelled it completely.  I ordered that the Burrow be completely removed.  It no longer existed.  it was a Ex-Burrow.

Yeah, that was it.  They had been trapped by a Burrow that wasn't even functioning.  Once again, let me explain one more time.  They had been trapped in a non-functioning Burrow.

Of course, at this point, me and the wounded had finished our little naps on the cold floor of the empty hospital and went in search of food and drink.  Still wounded.

Funny enough, no longer trapped, the citizens were able to finish working on the Hospital, moving in beds and such, and now it looked nice.  Just, too little too late.

Also I had screwed up the blueprints of the barn and they had built some walls on top instead of proper roofing.

He refilled the pen, thought for a few seconds, sighed, and added another sentence.

I am making mistakes.  Yeah, the Black Bear folks isn't my fault but the rest it.  I should have planned ahead for many of these issues.  And I should have checked and double-checked my blueprints and all my orders.

I reassigned the Dining Hall to a tavern, called once again the Nut of Crafts.  But made it only for citizens.  Mafol was the Tavern Keeper again.

Also I realized I was behind my work.  And was trying to decide who to make the new Book Keeper.  In other words our inventory wasn't up to date I and needed to give that position to somebody else.

Also Zasit went hunting and killed a moose.  But left it out in the forest.  I ordered a butcher's shop to be built next to it to make butchering it easier.  But I fear the snow will come before that happens. 

For it now the 1st Moonstone.  While the ground was covered in leafs it still wasn't covered in snow.  Not yet.

signed,
1st of Moonstone, Year 150

He decided that was enough, signed it as he normally did, let it dry, folded it, and sealed it with wax.  He placed it on his desk and it would wait there for the next visit of the traders.

Swordtundra slowly stood up and groaned.  His left foot had healed, leaving behind a long curving scar, but was still causing him some pain.

Still, things were not as BAD as they seemed.  The snow had not come yet.  Which gave them time to finish the barn's roof.  And the farming plots would be left fallow during the winter.  They had enough food and drink for the winter.  This would free folks up for other jobs.

And he had placed a door in the entry tunnel and one of the drawbridges had been linked to a lever in the tavern.  So they COULD seal the colony up during the winter if he wanted.

They also had a Butcher's Shop and Tanner's Shop both ready to start processing the livestock when they needed to.

The Black Bear folks, all six, were dead and now the only animals outside, at least the only ones seen, was an eagle and a Kiwi hen.  True, they had lost a pet Ram.  But to be honest that wasn't an issue.  At least all the citizens were still alive.  There was now nineteen of them.

They WERE down to two bolts.  But they could make bone or wooden bolts.  Not as good as copper ones but still good for hunting.  And in spring they could put out cage traps.  And fish some more.

Mistakes and bad luck had hit the colony this season.  Yet it was still standing.  And now they had a hospital.  And, maybe, they could work on a barracks for a small unit to drill and train.

He yawned and decided to grab some stew before going to bed. 

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 08:33:45 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - The Cast Part Two

So, let us talk about the Second Migrants.  The eight poor saps who showed up during the Black Bear People Attack of the Year 150.  Many of them were recruited to join in the fight and, while some escaped injury, most were still traumatized either by the combat or the sight of dead animal folk.

Funny enough many of them have clean shaven heads.  No doubt a cultural fashion.

Welcome to the frontier!

The first we will talk about is Ubbul Tanglerampart.  A Blacksmith by trade he also knew a little about siege engineering, cooking, and even planting.  He also had some skill at basic fighting, wrestling, and...biting.

While it seems he was rescued and MAY have been part of the fighting against the Black Bear People he shows no signs of being wounded.   Puzzling.  Maybe he passed out?

The next is Rakust Starttrades.  She was a Gem Cutter by trade.  Her only other skills was as a animal dissector and that was it.  It seems she was ALSO rescued but also shows no signs of being wounded.

She was thin but seems to have become somewhat fat.  Maybe the trip to the outpost had been harsh and she was, just now, recovering? 

Either way with the miners finding uncut gems there was likely work in her future.

Then there was Cog Fencedashed.  A Glassmaker.   You will remember that Cog WAS involved in the fighting with the Black Bear folk.  But seems to have been lucky enough NOT to have been wounded.

He also knew how to make soap, was a stone carver, and had a few skills dealing with combat.  So he is likely to be drafted.

Like many of the new arrivals he seems to be sleeping on the dirt as there is still a lack of bedrooms.

Then there is Kol Whippedspirit.  A Bookbinder, who like Cog, found himself in the fight against the animal folk.  And bears, hehe, a wound on his left arm to prove it.

He was also a clothier, weaver, and crafter of both wood and stone.  And has some skill at fighting, wrestling, and even armor use.  Even with the wound he seems to be healthy and active.

Next was the Herbalist, named Ber Gemcrested, who was also a planter and a mechanic seems unmarked and healthy.  He likely had no contact with the Black Bear Folks.

Funny enough he was quick to heal and pretty tough.  Which was good because he seens to get sick easily.  Two lovers but no wives or husbands.

Beg, like Cog, was a dwarf of few words.

There was the Wood Burner, named Uzol Cavewiped, who was also skilled in wood cutting, planting, and in some military skills.

He seems to have taken part in the combat with the animal people but, once again, was lucky not to have been wounded.  Though he had been horrified by the sight of the dead Black Bear Folks.

The next was the Bone Doctor named Litast Scrapedoar.  She had been given the job on her arrival.  In fact she seemed to be a Stone Crafter by trade with some knowledge about fish cleaning, planting, and being a carpenter. 

She tried her best at being a Doctor, even bringing somebody to the hospital.  But the sight of all the dead animal people seemed to have upset her.

The last on the list was Urdim Griffonswords.   She was the Surgeon.  Like the Bone Doctor she had been given the job once she walked into the Outpost.  She seemed to ba a Gem Cutter and Setter by trade. 

And so the Outpost now had nineteen citizens.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 08:45:27 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - The Birds!

Swordtundra sat down and used water to mix with the dimple cup powder on the ink stone.  It only took a few minutes to make the ink and he then filled his pen.

He glanced at the clean sheets of paper on his desk and, after a few moments of thought, started to write.

Greetings from the outpost of the Town of Coldness. 

I noticed that there were a couple of lovers among our settlers.  Not married.  Yet.  But I have ordered a special bedroom for them to share.  The two are Sazir Inkoceans and Likot Tamedconstruct.  In other words our Militia Commander and our best Miner.

They already EACH have a bedroom so, once the special bedroom is finished they can move to it and free up two bedrooms!  Of course, I am not sure how much they will like sharing one large bedroom. 

The Carpenter, Thikut, finished making the outside Butcher's Shop AND started butchering the moose without even being asked.  Nothing like wild meat.

At this time the fields were also fertilized.  Well, some of them.  We brought some potash with us but not enough for all four plots.  Of course we'll have to make some more.

He refilled the pen, sighed, and continued.

On the 10th of Moonstone a tree was cut down which was too close to the barn.  It put a couple of holes in the roof AND a hole in the ground that exposed one of our tunnels.  We have to cover both.  No dwarf nor animal was harmed.

And there seem to be giant flies outside.  The animals don't like them and run down into the tunnel that links the barn to the settlement.  Can't say I blame them.  Once the animals were returned to the barn I locked the hatch so they would stop running away.

He shivered in horror and went on with the letter.

Around that time the Jeweler's Workshop was finished and that, at least, gave the Gem Cutter and Setter something to do.

Also the new Book Keeper is Uzol Asrober.  The Wood Burner.  As there is no wood to burn he can now do inventory.

By this time all the drawbridges were linked.  Once the barn is complete we planned to test them.

More chicks hatched on the 21st of Moonstone.  Which was good.  As we have just finished digging out the new pen!  We just needed to add the nest boxes and a door.

Now with so many birds I ordered the adult turkeys and chickens butchered.  Nobody will get upset because nobody thinks of the birds as pets.  In fact the adult birds were all given the name MEAT just to make sure that didn't happen.  And the turkeys should give us leather on top of everything else.

Of course GETTING the chicks assigned to the new pen is another thing.  Once we unlocked the first pen's door the birds decided to take a tour of the colony.  Ever try herding birds?

Many of them even got outside.  I wish we could make the doorways animal proof somehow...

He refilled the pen, looked up at the dirt ceiling above him, tilted his head to listen, and then continued to write.

On the 25th of Moonstone the first snow storm came.  I don't think the chicks were very happy about that.  Nor the animals in the barn which was still half open to the sky.  And to be honest nobody was happy.  Dwarfs, in general, don't like being wet and cold at the same time.

Funny enough after the snow came the birds all fled back into the settlement.  Many ending up in the hospital. 

I also ordered that the craftdwarfs start making wooden bolts.  We'll see if they sell next year.

With the snow we also had some good news.  Our first temple was finished.

He chuckled to himself and continued.

Well, to call it a temple might be a little off.  A mostly dirt room with a alter, a stone coffer, and a statue of a dwarf to be honest.  Named the Unbridled Mark it is a temple to...well, nobody.  Anybody can come and prey or just think about anything they want.

By the 5th of Opal the weather had cleared.  Much to our joy.  And we were getting close to closing off the barn.  There were a few giant flies still around but most have diappeared.  I assume the cold and snow has chased some of them away.

He shivered again.  Flies were bad enough but giant flies.  What demon had given birth to such monsters?

And some of the dwarfs had joked about shooting one down and frying it up.  Yuck.

He put pen to paper again.

At this point there was some complaints about not having enough rock.  We needed it for pots, cabinets, so on.  We need more picks.  Maybe the cut gems and ammo will give us enough credit next time to buy some proper picks and axes?

By the 11th of Opal we had a Wood Furance and a Ashery.  So we could burn wood into ash and then turn the ash into potash.  We also have a Bowyer just in case we need to make some proper crossbows.  I mean, we already have a lot.  But I think living off the land, hunting, trapping, gathering, will help next year. 

Also moved the refuse, garbage, and corpses inside.  You never know when bone or such will be useful.

Around the 16th of Opal a Emu, a very strange animal wandered in too close to the settlement and Thikut went after it with a crossbow.  And wooden bolts.  Whatever works.

He aimmed for the legs, which isn't a bad idea, while chasing it around in the cold.  The latter isn't a good idea but he seemed to kind of enjoy it.  Remember, he is the one who butchered the moose.

Also I am pretty sure he was kind of drunk as he had been drinking just before the hunt.  Lucky him you can't shoot yourself with your own crossbow.   I think.

Of course, he ran out of ammo and retreated to get more.  I wish the Hunters would not use our wooden bolts.  That's for trade.  If there was only a way to tell them not too....

So he went back to hunt the, already wounded, Emu.  Hitting it again and again with the bolts till it could not run or even stand.  Yet he still ran out of ammo and retreated.  Again.  This time he gave up for a period of time to do other work.

But Zasit, the Woodworker, went hunting and found the same Emu to shoot at.  Of course....he ran out of ammo. 

But then Thikut returned to continue the hunt.  Maybe the Hunters have decided to work in pairs to tire out the prey?

Then Zasit showed up with more ammo.  Two against one.

While the two Hunters, who were not Hunters by trade, tortured this big bird the barn was finished.

The two Hunters keep shooting the Emu full of wooden bolts.  And it won't die.  On the other hand I assume they are getting better at using crossbows.

I also ordered four one plot farming plots made in the barn.  We have some seeds for surface so I figured....why not?

We also mined up some more uncut gems.  So more wealth for next year.

And ordered some brewing.  While the Book Keeper isn't very good at keeping records he did warn me we were low on booze.  We also have about nine tanned hides.  So I ordered some leather armour made.

I have also taken away most of his responsibilities.  I hope this will allow him to focus on inventory.

Also I noticed the tavern seems neglected.  No mugs in the tavern's chest or any drink in the stockpile.  So told the Keep to focus on the tavern.

On the 15th of Obsidian Thikut dragged in the body of the dead Emu.  By then we also had a Loom and a Clothier's Shop.

The day after that ravens forced their way into the Fortress and caused problems.  So at this point anybody with a weapon was recruited and sent to kill the damn things.  Even some of the females.   

The Diamond Weights were born!  The two birds were murdered.  Get it...nevermind, wrong type of bird.

But the sounds outside suggested more birds.  So I locked the door and ordered the drawbridges UP!  Sadly the rest escaped before the bridges went up.  At least the things work.

Funny enough I am not sure why the birds tried to attack us.  But from the noises we can hear it sounds like they went after the Emus too. 

I opened the front door because the workers needed logs.  Also some of the Hunters went after the ravens.  Okay...

One of the ravens got a copper axe in the face and one of the others got a wooden bolt to the gut. 

While this was happening we also had finished building a Dyer's Shop and a Leather Works.  Needed it to work on the armour.

Then winter ended.  Officially.  And spring came.  But it is still cold outside even while I finish this letter.

signed,
ingiz Swordtundra, Expedition Leader And Manger
1st of Granite, Year 151

Before he could do anything else after signing the letter he heard a shout and looked up.  Dodok, the Chief Medical Dwarf, was in the process of planting seeds.  And a raven had come out of nowhere to attack him!

"To Arms!" Swordtundra shouted as he charged the bird.  He punched it being unarmed.

Others ran into the chamber.  They kicked and punched and wrestled with it.  It was outnumbered and soon a bloody mess on the floor.  The female, Mebzuth, had delivered the final blow.

Say what you will about the Diagnostician but she had a mean punch.  And kick.  And, well, never give her a hammer.

He sighed, checked himself, to see if the damn bird had given him a cut or wound.    Outside of his right arm being bruised he seemed okay.  Just one more thing his folks would have to deal with.

He checked to see if his letter was okay.  It was intact.  He made sure it was dry, folded it, and sealed it with wax.  Then placed it on the table to wait for the next caravan.

At least they had some kind of defenses.  Just the door, which could be locked, was proving useful.   And all had bedrooms, food, drink, and labor to keep their minds off the trouble.

Maybe he could work on the entry tunnel.  Lengthen it.  Add traps, a door on the other end, make it harder for animals to get through.  And if they do get in they get trapped in and can't escape.

He also might wish to make a barracks.  And see about making more crossbows.  They had also brought some weapons.  Shields too.  Training might have to start in spring.

And at least the colony had lasted a year.  That was better than some colonies.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 03:40:38 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - Making Friends

Ubbul Tanglerampart, the Blacksmith, was a little nervous.  He had never been CALLED to attend a meeting with the Expedition Leader.  Sure, citizens scheduled a meeting with the Leader to complain or scream or cry or all three.  But nobody has ever been ordered to see him.

Ubbul wondered if he was in trouble?

He was a 82 year old male dwarf.  He was healthy enough.   His long braided beard had some grey hairs among the reddish-brown hairs.  Like many of the colonists his head was clean shaven.  But his moustache was well groomed.

He had a broad chin and a narrow hooked nose.  His eyes were close set while his skin was wrinkled and a pale pink.  Over all he looked even older and meaner than he was.

It was the first day of spring and he was on his way to meet the Leader.  For some unknown reason.

ingiz Swordtundra was at his desk in the chamber with all the underground fields and it was kind of busy.  But the Leader looked up from his desk and gestured for the Blacksmith to take the empty chair next to him as if they were totally alone.

The chair belonged to the Book Keeper.  Who never seemed to have the time to keep the books.  So Ubbul sat down and said, "Greetings Leader.  How may I be of service?"

ingiz smiled and said, "Greetings Blacksmith.  You are here for many reasons.  First, have this."

Ubbul blinked and found the Leader had placed a scroll in his hands.  He unrolled it and found it gave him a Noble positions.  He was now the Militia Captain of the Grizzly Lenses.

"When do I start training with my squad?" he asked after carefully placing the scroll inside his llama wool dress.

"You will are your own squad," the Leader with a smile.  He held out another scroll.

Ubbul took it and unrolled it.  He was also now the Outpost's Messenger.  Of course.  A Messenger had to be a Militia Captain.

"But you WILL be training," added the Leader.  "During the winter.  Only one month a year."

Ubbul looked confused.  The Leader chuckled and continued.

"Once we have a barracks the Diamond Weights will train only during the middle months.  So their hands are available to sow in the early months and reap in the late months.  Of course, during winter the fields will be left alone.  All other dwarfs will train in one dwarf units during the winter early or late month so as not to crowd the barracks.  And make sure there are free hands for work even when we are turtled up."

"Turtled up?" asked the Ubbol.

"During winter the drawbridges will be up and the doors locked.  I want winter to one our time to stay inside, work underground, mine, train, so on," answered the Leader.  "And mostly have some free time."

The Leader pointed at Ubbul.  "And as the new Messenger I have a job for you.  Making contact with a human settlement and a elf settlement.  I want more trade."

"Oh, I see," remarked Ubbul.  He felt better.  At least he wasn't in trouble.

"First, you're going to demand tribute from the Hamlet of Honorcook.  A human settlement about a half a day away from here," added the Leader.

"Oh....I see..."

"Don't worry," said the Leader with a smile.  "I doubt they'll kill you.  But afterwards, once they know we are here, they may come to trade with us.  Now go and make contact with them!"

Ubbul stood up and nodded.  He wasn't looking forward to walking through the wild land, fighting off annoyed animals, in the cold of early spring, only to demand tribute from some humans who might respond badly.

Yet he obeyed.  He armed himself and headed south.

But he ran into a raven and got into a fight with it.  And killed it.  Then came back to get some sleep.

Turns out another raven had flown into the colony and also got itself killed.  But not before wounding the Book Keeper who had been sent to the hospital. 

"HEY!" shouted the Leader on seeing Ubbul return.  "Get back out there!"

But the new Messenger needed to sleep and rest after his own fight.

By the 7th of Granite he was ready, grabbed his copper axe, went out, killed another raven and then headed south.  To the humans to demand tribute!

Yet he turned around and came right back to the colony.  It was cold outside.

But soon he finally left and came back during a snow storm on the 10th of Granite.  He had contacted the Playful Realm, the human government, without starting a war with them.

"Wonderful!" exclaimed the Leader on hearing the report.  "Now go pester the elfs at...what?   Okay, okay, go have a drink."

Ubbul had been snowed on and was thirsty and he was covered in raven blood.  He wasn't going on another mission without a drink in him.

So he grabbed a rhyolite mug, went stright to one of the barrels in the storage chamber and drank some dwarven wine. 

Then he went to the Temple to pray to Ngotol the Ashen Oblivion.

After a few days resting and working around the outpost the Leader grabbed him and said, "Enough.  You have recovered enough to be sent on another mission.  You will go to the Retreat of Dellplait and demand a tribute from the elfs.  They are at least a day away."

And so on the 20th of Granite he went.  Wearing his emu leather armor and his new mussel shell helm.  But without his axe.

He returned on the 21st with good news.  He had contacted the elfs and their government the Flaxen Shell and they were at peace with the dwarfs.  The Leader was very pleased.  Not only would they get more trade BUT the humans and elfs would bring guards who would kill any crazy animals who got too close. 

On top of that, while Ubbul had been carrying out his missions the citizens had been working on the underground water system that would bring fresh water to a holding tank that would feed a well.  And also they had been working on a barracks.  And killing the ravens.  It was said there was only one wounded one left.  Just flying above the trees.

Also Thikut had been chasing down and shooting at another poor cow moose.

Also the herds had grown.  Not only had the birds given birth to many offspring.  So had the pigs, the goats, and the cows.

The Leader had been getting annoyed at a Book Keeper who could not keep the books so he gave the title to Lor, the Stone Carver, who he felt was a little more on the ball.  And she couldn't do worse than him.  In fact by 28th of Granite the inventory WOULD be updated.  At least there were no more question marks in the lists.  Sadly for the ex-Book Keeper he was told about being replaced while still in the hospital.

Being back inside the warm colony made Ubbul very happy, for it was still cold outside, white snow still covered most of the ground, and the river was still frozen.  First thing he did was grab some hen egg stew to fill his stomach.  He ate it in the tavern like a civilized dwarf.  He ate it with a smile on his face even while some of the stew got into his beard. 

As early spring ended and mid spring came Ubbul felt much better.  He even went back to helping around the outpost.  He started the month of Slate by milking one of the nanny goats.

Outside it was still cold and frozen.  The calendar may say it was spring but the weather said otherwise.

---------------------------

Author's Note:

In the year 151 I plan to write about one dwarf per month.  So 12 small chapters.  So we'll get different views.  I hope.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 08:07:20 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The Town Of Coldness - Death Comes With Spring

Mafol Sculpturetools was the Tavern Keeper.  He had come to the newly founded colony with his wife as a Stonecutter in the First Migrant Wave in the Autumn of Year 150.  He had brought with himself many skills.  None of them really helped him run a tavern.

He HAD some social skills and knew a few poems.  He could even play drums or a wind instrument.  But it didn't help him much.  As there was nothing to play and nobody was delivering the food and drink to the stockpile in the Nut of Crafts.

It was the 2nd of Slate and at the moment he was making a wooden barrel.  Hopefully somebody would fill it with booze.

To be FAIR, the Output had a LOT of booze.  But much of it was in the main storage area.  Right now the only drinks in the tavern was ONE barrel with some spelt beer in it.  The tavern also had a empty barrel and a barrel with biscuits in it.  A couple of rainbow trout buscuits, walnut buscuits, turkey meat biscuits, and so forth.

Once again there was plenty of food.  Just it was still in the storage areas.

After finishing the barrel he went to make some cheese.  Not like he was needed at the tavern.  Outside visitors were no longer allowed access to it and the dwarfs who lived in the outpost could serve themselves. 

At least working made him feel good and useful.

By the 5th of Slate he was looming some thread into cloth.  He was a dwarf of many skills.  That was going to waste as a Tavern Keeper whose Tavern had no customers.

A few days later he was dying some cloth.  He was either happy to help or just did so because he was bored.  He had heard that the hunters were now chasing a emu.  The cow moose must have escaped.

After that he made a few rock mechanisms.  If only they would open the tavern to everybody.  They would get visitors for him to serve and chat with and learn songs from.

Even HE, when he needed a drink, went to the massive storage room to dip a mug into one of the barrels. 

By the 19th of Slate he was helping smooth out the underground water channels they were preparing for the water tank.

Outside, on the 20th of Slate, it became warm enough for the snow to melt. 

Near the end of the month of Slate Mafol started to place the weapon racks and armor stands into the future barracks. 

Even while he worked away he was somewhat worried about the ex-Book Keeper.  Uzol was dehydrated and starving.  The snow had melted but by the 27th of Slate the river was still frozen.  A dwarf might die in the outpost because he had no water to drink. 

If only he could hold out just a little longer!

Then on the 28th there was a crackling sound.  A smashing sound. A low thunder.  The ice!  The ice was breaking up.  Water!   WATER!

It was too late.  Uzol died even while the Gem Cutter, Rakust, was bringing him water.

Luckily the coffin had already been made and a area in the mines had been selected for it.  And a slab was already ready to be made into a memorial tombstone.

Late spring came with the melting of the fresh water.  And at least three dwarfs went to start fishing in the river.  So even as one dwarf died life moved on. 

The Leader also announced that the Nut of Crafts was now open to all visitors with the coming of true spring.  And Mafol was pleased.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 03:02:27 am »

It was too late.  Uzol died even while the Gem Cutter, Rakust, was bringing him water.

ah, small moments of tragedy like this are why I play Dwarf Fortress. . thanks for sharing these detailed accounts

this looks an embark that really displays all seasons, from summer to freezing winter, which is very nice indeed!
Pages: [1] 2 3