Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 4 (80%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series  (Read 13513 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 03:03:16 pm »

Raids use worldgen battle mechanics. In worldgen, size is everything. For example, war tigers are pretty pathetic against normal troops in a fort, but absolutely shred the enemy on a raid.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2024, 03:40:18 pm »

I also say we want a dead civ, if this is going to be a long term thing why not start from the bottom!
I'll check out my fps later I would say my PC is pretty mid so I think I'm a good test
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 03:02:30 pm »

Oh i was off by a little: i needed to turn multithreading on. Turned it on and now the new outpost runs on 25 visual fps, still pretty bad
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Test on a mid pc sounds smart yea
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

BarlowJack

• Escaped Lunatic
  • But if the Orb and Talons are found...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2024, 04:48:50 pm »

... now the new outpost runs on 25 visual fps, still pretty bad...
I chuckle at myself when I see people complain about slow fps; i intentionally cap my at 25 because i like to watch my dwarves' little lives.
EDIT: realized you're talking about graphical fps, so never mind. what i said is still true, but doesn't apply here.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 04:54:55 pm by BarlowJack »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 08:14:02 am »

Dear gathered beardlings, greybeards, and haters of sobriety!
I have found more options!
These worlds are smaller than my previously listed one, but still has significantly more going on than your average large df world

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16983
This is the largest of the three in this post. The dead dwarf civilization in question was destroyed by an alliance of elves and men. The forests and plains are alive with the cheers of those who hate us!

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16984
This is the medium sized save of the three. Similar to the very first one in which we were killed off by goblins. Taking advantage of the opportunity another goblin civilization has mostly absorbed our old enemies, but all this means is that the grudge lives on in that civilization!

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16985
The smallest of the three. Here a dwarven civilization spawned on a lonely mountain surrounded by the artic south. With nowhere to go the dwarves never even started one new settlement. A tower of necromancers spawned a few miles away and has whittled down our lone city to near extinction. It is time for us to break free and out into this world!

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2024, 08:21:20 am »

I don't really understand what's the relationship between graphical and computational. Well, i loaded a 120ish dwarves fort  in a large world, and both fps counters were around 70 fps. So it's not because of large world, i guess it's because of the huge civilization populations instead

I just don't get why the graphical lags so far behind the computational... i had pretty good computational on this world, but graphical was a lot worse

EDIT: oh lol we posted at the same time? Sorry... Anyways, i tried the list's middle world, still not great, but somebody else should test them so don't trust me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 09:07:28 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2024, 09:58:26 am »

definitely PTW, possibly interested but I still have to get over a decent portion of new learning curve for the Steam version
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 10:17:52 am »

Dear gathered beardlings, greybeards, and haters of sobriety!
I have found more options!
These worlds are smaller than my previously listed one, but still has significantly more going on than your average large df world

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16983
This is the largest of the three in this post. The dead dwarf civilization in question was destroyed by an alliance of elves and men. The forests and plains are alive with the cheers of those who hate us!

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16984
This is the medium sized save of the three. Similar to the very first one in which we were killed off by goblins. Taking advantage of the opportunity another goblin civilization has mostly absorbed our old enemies, but all this means is that the grudge lives on in that civilization!

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16985
The smallest of the three. Here a dwarven civilization spawned on a lonely mountain surrounded by the artic south. With nowhere to go the dwarves never even started one new settlement. A tower of necromancers spawned a few miles away and has whittled down our lone city to near extinction. It is time for us to break free and out into this world!

I'm at work and can't investigate the files, but just based on your descriptions I'm in favor of the arctic mountainhome world. I have a gut feeling that those dwarves are tenacious and worth helping along in their attempts to overthrow the necromancers so they can expand their world at last.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2024, 02:07:20 am »

Ok I checked out the new ones, with my pretty mid ageing computer, tested FPS on 4x4 standard embark, just after starting so not many dwarves, no caves etc. no flowing water on embark
Multithreading on: 20 FPS
Multithreadong off: 25 FPS sometimes dipping a bit lower but never below 20
World 2 I get about 25-30 with mutlithreading
World 3 HUGE improvement, around 40-45!

As for actual preference, I like world 1 the most, there are SOOOO many sites, which seems more exciting to me, I also like that there are a few disparate islands  but people like me would definitely be in for a bit of a FPS slog, I'm fine with that (you should see how slow playing seamenace is), but there it is for other people to consider.
I also like world 2 more than world 3, it has a more spaced out feel, a lot of plains it seems to me, overall size apart world 3 seemed a bit sparse.
All that said maybe it's better not to be so ambitious for such a project  :-\
At any rate if we're making the decision based on FPS I think we should be going all the way down to world 3
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2024, 09:54:30 am »

The things that cause lag are the same things that make a world interesting.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2024, 01:56:10 pm »

The things that cause lag are the same things that make a world interesting.

Yeah I tried to only trim the fat mostly.

First world I posted had no pop limit with everything set to max basically.

Second one I set limit to 100k pop and restricted everything else to several hundred

and so on and so forth

The smallest one still has like 300 titans and 650 megabeast caves I think?
I just set the pop cap way lower, but it is still substantially higher than default for large

I think I'm gonna set up a poll and we can pick what works. I'm not too affected by FPS because I started playing df on a dinosaur laptop. I'm used to slow and consider fast speeds a convenience lol

but I am along for the ride. Perhaps our world will get better fps after we genocide it some, yes?

I can make an even smaller one that is still large too. I'm just seeing how close I can push this!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 01:59:26 pm by Maloy »

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2024, 07:13:14 am »

Okay i tried again all the "trimmed" saves, they all run a lot better than the original save for me. I like the idea of trimming extra fat, i think that's a good enough precaution.

The biggest "trimmed" world ran on around 55 graphical fps for me, the middle "trimmed" world was 70 graphical fps. So some difference between them but not huge difference, much like Neblime said. So i guess both worlds should be good

I know i'm like a little baby, not wanting to play too low fps, but it just takes so long to play just a year, if it goes down to 15 or something...  :'( But yea i think the "trimmed" worlds are good!

Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2024, 03:45:25 pm »

No shame in not wanting to feel the pain.. some of us are just broken already

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2024, 12:43:56 pm »

I'd like to be a part of this.

If anything it will force me to learn to use the steam release instead of 0.47... (Bought premium on release day and have managed about 2 hours so far... it's so different!)
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2024, 07:05:02 pm »

So yea if you're doodling a turn order / queue, I would like to play. Not right at the start. Something like 3rd or 4th spot, or even later back than that
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13