Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 4 (80%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series  (Read 13576 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to the Ageless World! Its chock full to the brim with hundreds of monsters and titans. Stuffed with elves, goblins and the living dead! We're going to conquer this oversized world and bring the age of the dwarf!

Our people were driven to extinction by the elves and humans! It's time for some sweet revenge!

This world is all about grand scale and epic proportions and so there's only a few rules.

Rules:
1.Every dwarf is to be named so we can track their family deeds across generations
2.One week turns, but you can use as much in-game time as you wanna use!
3.Don't hold back. This world is stuffed with threats and so there is absolutely no need to hold back or put in restricting rules for players! Break the world!

Turn order:
Kesperan
Otto_K
Maloy
Neblime
Salmeuk

Original text:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 02:55:39 pm by Maloy »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 12:38:09 pm »

I love this idea
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

BarlowJack

• Escaped Lunatic
  • But if the Orb and Talons are found...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 12:58:13 pm »

I assume participation would require some higher end machines?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 01:24:17 pm »

I assume participation would require some higher end machines?

possibly? When I tried it was on my outdated and garbage work laptop. I'd pause the game, queue up tasks, unpause and then tab over to my office work and check in later lol

I reloaded same world on my gaming pc and it ran with no problems.
But it doesn't have to be as large a world as I played. especially if that prevents anyone from playing!

If it's so large of a scale that only like three of us can play, but 10 people are interested we can see how much we can scale down. If that makes sense?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 03:42:11 pm by Maloy »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 08:46:22 am »

I could also try to see if people on other dwarf fortress sites are interested joining

but I'm not sure where other people go to start community fortresses? I look on steam and reddit and don't find any such posts

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 09:24:58 am »

Possibly interested in this. Which DF version are you planning to use?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 03:40:28 pm »

Possibly interested in this. Which DF version are you planning to use?

I was thinking of the latest premium since adventure mode will be released soon. Would be fun to explore and potentially pacify our conquered lands as heroes inbetween fortresses!

@Avolition
I could just go ahead and make a world and see if anyone decides they're interested.
I might just drop info on steam and reddit even if it is sort of out of place there

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 06:34:03 pm »

I don't have the time, patience, or hardware to participate, but I'd love to watch.

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 08:31:54 am »

I'm still a relative newbie but I'd love to participate! I have a pretty beefy computer too (built it with 2022 released hardware so it's not top of the newest line, but it's still pretty dang good)

(I just won't have time until mid-May...as much as I hate to admit it, writing my thesis so I can finish grad school on time does take precedence over dorfs)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 06:41:19 pm »

sounds hype, i'd give it a turn.  I think steam version would be a good idea too, from what I've seen I think it runs a bit less laggy, and presumably improvements will continue in that regard.  Are you planning to wait for adventure mode patch then? thats a little bit of time away still
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2024, 09:14:46 pm »

According to Toady the adventure mode update will be compatible with previous premium saves so we can start now!

I have generated a potential world to use, but I'd also like to know if you guys can even make it run. I didn't have any problems with playing a fort for a short bit

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16982

World Features:
An elven kingdom that conquered two goblin civs and has taken huge swathes of land
A dwarven empire that rules an entire sub-continent
An alliance of goblin civilizations that purged dwarven civilization from the north-west
enough minotaurs to make an entire civilization
1000 titans leads to a world where it's commonplace for a settlement to be stomped out only to be reoccupied by refugees from elsewhere within the same year

There are 1000 clown variations ensuring each fortress to have a different kind of nightmare at the end
1000 variants of werebeasts, vampire curses, etc.
100 civilizations at the beginning, but plenty have been absorbed into the growing empires
Many necromancers rose up and died and new necromancers found so there's bound to be a huge variety of necromancy secrets
I stopped before the necromancer doom stack would appear and turn this into just a game about fighting experiments and zombies

The dwarven empire has 11k citizens in it so there's a headstart there.
Or we could play one of the two civilizations wiped out by the goblins in the north-west. They allied in their final days, but still all died out except for a few.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 09:23:48 pm by Maloy »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 01:00:27 am »

Has to be the dead civilization. Grudges gotta grudge. Also wanted to suggest that this fort should collect some big animals. In my experience, war animals excel at off-map genocide and you can get a lot of them together pretty easily.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 09:57:26 am »

Has to be the dead civilization. Grudges gotta grudge. Also wanted to suggest that this fort should collect some big animals. In my experience, war animals excel at off-map genocide and you can get a lot of them together pretty easily.

I second this motion. Gotta rebuild the empire, like I was trying to do in Sealrim before the werebison came.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 11:10:26 am »

Hi! I would be interested in playing a game like this, especially that you're going with Steam edition! But...

I tried starting a fort in the world, and I instantly went under 20 visual FPS. I thought my gaming pc is pretty good but i guess not... (I've been mostly playing Medium worlds myself)

Anyways that's not very fun, and a full fort with industry and cave dwellers and everything would probably totally destroy my fps. So i guess i'm out

Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 12:37:06 pm »

Hi! I would be interested in playing a game like this, especially that you're going with Steam edition! But...

I tried starting a fort in the world, and I instantly went under 20 visual FPS. I thought my gaming pc is pretty good but i guess not... (I've been mostly playing Medium worlds myself)

Anyways that's not very fun, and a full fort with industry and cave dwellers and everything would probably totally destroy my fps. So i guess i'm out

It might be a problem for everyone else too! Let’s see and if so I’ll make another more dialed down version!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13