Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Seerspire - The Trial of Spirits [Overseers Welcome! DF0.47.05]  (Read 6339 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seerspire - The Trial of Spirits [Haunted Community Fort DF04705]
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2023, 02:39:29 pm »

As a note, the blighted ash we're having on the map seems to fortunately only stick to a small northeast corner where there's another evil biome overlapping ours, so it probably won't be a big problem unless some migrants or other visitors happen to come through that spot.

*looks at smallhands* yeah I'm sure we'll be fine. . just make sure we get one of those brush mats to put out front so dwarves clean their shoes before stepping inside

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2023, 03:58:19 am »

Blighted ash sound like a fun thing, we should go out there and roll around in it!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2023, 08:47:58 am »

Part II:
Laying the Foundations

21st Limestone, 275

As autumn came upon Seerspire and leaves turned into fiery colors, ripe horse chestnuts falling to the ground, things seemed to work out quite smoothely for the dwarves of the Certain Tombs. The plump helmets would soon sprout in the subterranean farm plots, a still had been built to be ready for brewing some prime dwarven wine, there was still pony meat in the barrels and some cave fish with raw pond turtles needing cleaning at the new fishery.

Several new excursions had been made to the wagon when the dwarves noticed that the menace of the zombified ravens no longer flapped in the skies draped in gray clouds. Ropes, cloth, thread and glass had been retrieved, but there was still quite a bit left outside.

Bëmbul the Bookkeeper-Manager had taken to fishing. His nerves needed some relaxing and what better way to do that then sit at the pool fed by the stream, shielded by sturdy stone from the dangers of the outside world? He was still a bit distressed after seeing Thîkut's mangled body when he made the first run for the wagon. And to make matters worse, he had got into arguments with other dwarves. It made him bitter.

But here, at the pool, he felt good.

However, smooth sailing rarely lasts long in the Forests of Naughtiness...

Rakust the Seer ran swiftly inside with a schist mug in hand, barely remembering to bar the door behind him. His eyes were agape in shock and his face all pale. A wet thud hit the door from outside, then scraping noises before unnatural squawks and faint flapping could be heard.

Rakust breathed heavily, trying to catch his breath.

'The dead... The  dead, they came for me,' the Seer thought in shock. 'That ravenous bird. It came from nowhere! Oh Gods! Oh Ancestors! Where have you brought us? This is truly horrifying...'

It seemed that during a rather careless expedition to the wagon many dwarves in their thirst for wine had thought that it was fine for them to head out. To the wagon almost everyone went, mugs in hand to take a sampling of some much desired ale and wine. Among them was the Seer who brashly walked out when the others didn't notice.

But the dead were of more keen eye, and an undead kestrel came swooping at Rakust. Fortunately the Seer was swift of foot and managed to run to safety -- only managing to shut the door just before the kestrel flew in.

Such carelessness. Such disregard for the safety of the Seer.

8th Sandstone, 275

Around halfway through autumn two dwarves arrived from the north. Up the east slope they climbed to the top where was the wagon. Dwarves of the Certain Tomb were emptying it and they told the arrivals to head down the west slope to a side entrance.

So they did, and the two arrived safe and sound in Seerspire. The first -- and perhaps last? -- migrants to arrive in Seerspire.

They were Erush Intensecloistered, a blacksmith with a long double-braided beard and low eyebros, and Mafol Geartwinkling, a peasant with no particular skillset, weak and frail of body.

The autumn leaves fell from the trees and bamboo reeds, coloring the forest floor in bright reds and yellows. It made the haunted forest eerily beautiful.

Near the two ponds where many a migrant had perished in the undead heat of the summer and some of their clothes still lay, a lone ghost hovered above the scene under the swaying branches of a sallow tree.

The restless spirits of the dead had began to rise in Seerspire.

And the hordes of undead raven flocked once again over the hilltop.

2nd Moonstone, 275
The Journal of Rimtar 'Bobbin' Salveblue

“It is winter now and the air outside is turning colder. But fortunately we do not have to venture there anymore, at least not for a while.

We managed to clear out and dismantle the wagon while the ravens were gone. And not only that, we had time to finish our first entry plans: a small walled structure above the stairs. It is currently sealed with hatches made of sturdy granite -- they should hold the undead back.

Some wood was acquired after it, but we did not get as much as I would have hoped before the ravens returned. It is still enough to get ourselves set with cages to put at all the entrances and to make beds for all of us. We can store our wine and food in stone pots. And since we have struck no ore yet, we need not get the furnaces going.

Work on Seerspire proper has begun. The miners have been busy and dug out an entry hall, main hall, some workshop areas and kitchens, and personal quarters above all of them. Not only that, a waterworks is on its way so that our future home might have proper wells.

Blessed be the Ancestors for giving me strength to continue my task!”

21st Obsidian, 275

As the first year was nearing its end, the groundwork on the main area was well underway. Stairs from the surface and the temporary quarters descended and joined in a passage that led into the entry hall, which was meant to lead in the hopefully not so distant future out of the hillside and function as a proper entrance.

The current entry was merely a side entrance for citizens. The new entry hall would be the one used by merchants and visitors alike.

From the entry hall to the north lay the main hall where the dining and meeting area would be. Its roof was high and above the hall circled a walkway leading to personal quarters dug around it. To the west opened a start for workshop areas and at its southern wall was a pit which would house the wells. To the east opened the kitchens and above them were to be the seed stores and new farms. For as the miners had dug through the stone they had struck clay. It was as if the Ancestors had guided them -- there would be no need for muddying the floors!

The private quarters were still unfurnished and their walls and floors of rough-hewn stone, but all would be smoothed with the greatest of care and skill (or as much skill as the dwarves of Seerspire had).

The well pit led down, down into the waterworks where were maintenance tunnels and a canal for fishers to use. The well cistern was deep enough for a decent amount of water in case the river intake had to be sealed. It had even an outflow for emptying, but for now the water had no place to flow.

It was planned that the water would empty into the depths of the earth, once the deep caverns from the depths were found.

Work was not complete here yet, though everything was smoothed and cleared of stone. Floodgates to control water and grates to prevent unwanted creatures out were still missing. But the masons were already at work on those and soon it was just a matter of assembling everything and having the mechanics do their work.

Then the river could be breached.

Yes. Bobbin was quite content on how her rough start had turned out in the end. She would do the damnest to make sure Seerspire would have a proper functioning infrastructure before her time was over.

But perhaps Bobbin should not be so pleased of how things were going? More ghosts were rising from beyond and began to haunt the young halls of Seerspire.

And despite the dwarves of the Certain Tombs revering the spirits and their Ancestors, the wailing and crying of a ghost was sure to send chills down the spine and raise the hairs of the beard of even the bravest of dwarves...

16th Granite, 276

“The first year is over and the second has begun. We have survived this far and things seemed to calm down after summer. We have effectively shut the outside from our lives for now. Let the undead roam the forest if they want, I say! We have everything we need here. Or at least almost everything. We need more wood still, of course, but that is not urgent. We'll deal with that when the time comes.

But regardless, we are beginning to have some problems... With the ghosts. Mostly. But also with... The Seer. With Rakust. He has been quite distant lately. Very distraught. I am not sure his mind can handle both the burden of Seership and the restless ghosts for long. I fear it might break, and that would be as bad as him dying!

Yes, I know he doesn't want to be obliged to anyone. 'He is his own boss'. Except he isn't. He is THE SEER. He speaks with the Ancestors' voice. He IS obliged whether he wants it or not.

And its not only being the Seer that he has to consider.

He is also obliged TO ME, too. At least, if he wants to call himself my lover still. Sigh, it might have been a foolish thing of me to fall for him, but... The time spent together. One thing led to another... I do hope the others don't talk too much behind our backs...

In any case, I might have to try and put those restless haunts to rest. I know it will cause an outrage, but if we loose our minds, that'll be even a worse insult against the Ancestors!

I pray I make the right decision. May the Ancestors guide me...”

Erush Intensecloistered carefully placed the slab at the entry to the new main hall. It felt wrong to do it, to send a spirit that had returned from the Beyond, from the Halls of the Ancestors. But it was the orders of the Overseer, so he didn't dare refuse. For as far as he knew the Overseer was the Hand of the Ancestors that was guided by the Seer, the Voice of the Ancestors.

And one did not question what the Ancestors ordered.

Yet, was not Overseership, but a test from the Ancestors? To prove ones worthiness? Or something like that. Erush didn't have the answer, but maybe he would pick up the subject with the others.

When the Overseer or Seer were not close by.

2nd Felsite, 276

Finally the waterworks were completed and ready to be put to use. The river was breached and the canal began to fill up. Everything was working properly so far.

As the canal was filling a group of dwarves lured by rumor of the Ancestors giving direct guidance to those who went to Seerspire. They walked through the bamboo and between the sallows where previous migrants had perished and where now a ghost roamed.

There were so many of them... One, two, three... Ten, eleven... Nineteen, twenty, twenty-one...

Twenty-one...

TWENTY-ONE.

How would the dwarves of Seerspire ever feed and house all these new, poor, wretched souls who had come to seek a new life in the haunted woods of the Naughty Forests?

18th Felsite, 276

It took not a long time for word to spread of happenings in the fledgling fortress. Erush raised his grievances about the sacrilege they had committed by sending a spirit back to the Netherworld. Those who had been longer in Seerspire -- and had been subjected to the hauntings of said ghost -- understood Bobbin's difficult choice even though they did not necessarily agree with it. They would have laid the issue down for now.

However, eager newcomers were not so accepting of such things. Especially one furnace operator named Zasit Canyonroared. He was outraged by such... Well, outrageous behaviour! And he said that he will refuse to work as long as that 'ghost-hater' is Overseer.

“Unacceptable! An insult against the Ancestors! Against everything I stand for!֨” He fumed his face all red. “We should not tolerate this! I certainly will not! I MUTINY!”

And so the first mutiny of Seerspire began.

As Zasit began his personal mutiny, the Ancestors were at work deeper in the fortress: a mason named Rovod Angelroom was possessed! With the aspects of one fey in his eyes he rushed to a mason's workshop, claiming it, screaming “I must have rock! I must have logs!”

Fortunately there were still a few logs left.

The Lucid Emancipation, a cassiterite millstone, was the first artifact to be made in Seerspire. Perhaps it was a sign from the Ancestors that the river's power should be harnessed and a mill built?

15th Hematite, 276

“It is now our second summer here. With the unexpected amount of new workforce, we have managed to make our mud pit look like something decent. Walls and floors have been chiseled and sanded smooth; the meeting hall has tables and benches of granite; and the well cistern is full -- all we now need is to build the actual wells.

And for that we need more buckets. And for buckets we need wood. And to get wood we need to make a new expedition to the outside world.

We recently got a small reminder of waits for us there...

We had a slight problem when we had to slaughter a lamb and yak, for they had nothing to eat down under the earth. Our new butchers and tanners were careless and did not heed my orders: they did not send the wool to spinners nor hair to disposal. And soon we had ghastly lumps of sheep wool and yak hair crawling around our cellars.

They were put down easily, of course.

But not before poor Limul Inkedally got a quite shocker. She has been overwhelmed by the horror of being attacked by the dead. I do not know how to calm her and tell that it will be alright... Because it will not be alright. The dead will not go away. They are here to stay.

We had better get used to dealing with them if we are to stay here, too.”

2nd Limestone, 276

“Summer passed quickly and autumn is here. Time has flown incredibly fast this year.

And that is good. We have had no incidents after the reanimating wool and hair. There has been not much time to rest for we have been hard at work and Seerspire is beginning to look like a decent dwarf home finally. It is still a humble dwelling if we compare to what our ancestors used to have in the days of yore. But it is a beginning, nevertheless.

Eight more migrants arrived during the course of summer and we now number almost forty. I would never have expected our settlement to grow so much -- especially so fast! We made a succesful venture outside and gathered plenty of wood without much trouble. There were a couple of eagle corpses flying around, but we caught one in a trap and avoided the other. The wood should last us for some time now.

More rooms have been dug and smoothed for housing. Only doors and beds are still needed. There is also plenty of space for workshops. Storage space is still lacking, but we have not much need for them as of yet.

Work on a proper entry out of the west side of the hill is well underway. There will be space for the merchants to arrive, and above it we have dug walkways where we can station archers. One can not ever be to careful. Who knows what kind of folk will arrive here and with what kind of intentions? Surely there must be those who are eager to come and take what the Ancestors have given us.

We have plenty of food for now. Only our drink stores are a bit low, but it is enough. We just need to be patient for more plump helmets to grow and new pots for the brewery to be carved.

A guild was formed, too. Stoneworkers. Most of us have gained quite the experience in working rock after all the smoothing and so The Guild of Avalanches was formed. The main meeting hall of Seerspire functions as the temporary guild house for now. It is satisfying enough for our needs, but perhaps later a proper one will be built?

We erected a statue in our meeting hall to memorialize Bëmbul's heroic deed at the hilltop. An exceptional piece of art was carved from microcline by Rovod Angelroom, our most skilled mason. It shows Bëmbul -- who has gained the name 'Hillrunner' -- at the wagon with the bag of plump helmet spawn, triumphant, and the undead ravens defeated in the background.

Without Bëmbul I dare not imagine what kind of situation we would be now... If we were to be even counted among the living.

Yes, I have gained confidence in my skills as Overseer and it seems the Ancestors are satisfied, too, for they have not asked me to make way for the next one yet. I will gladly continue my work as long as I may.”

9th Timber, 276

But even though Bobbin was eager to continue as Overseer and was beginning to feel confident and proud of her accomplishments, the Ancestors had other plans...

Autumn was in its last third when Bobbin was meeting up with her lover Rakust the Seer in his new quarters (he had a bedroom, office and all!). She was explaining to him how she had just learned much about masonry from the masters. It was very satisfying to learn new tricks of the trade. But as she talked, Rakust looked suddenly distracted and slightly faint.

“Are you alright, dear?” Bobbin asked Rakust worriedly. “You look faint... Maybe sit or lie down?”

At that moment Rakust began to jerk and twitch, his eyes rolled back, and Bobbin knew what was happening: the Ancestors were coming for a chat.

“Bobbin. Bobbin Salveblue. Your time as Overseer has come to an end,” the Seer croaked in an unearthly voice. Bobbin took a step back aghast. It was disturbing to see the face of her lover speak in a voice other than his. The voice continued, “It is time for you step down.”

“B-but I have only started...”, Bobbin tried to protest. “There is still much I want to--”

“Be silent, child! It is OUR decision how long one may oversee. Your wants have no significance in it. You have no say in thematter. WE say it is your time to step down and pass the mantle. You have shown enough. We have seen. We will judge... And soon we will call upon you all and name the next Overseer. Understood?”

Bobbin swallowed. There was nothing she could do about this. She would have to let go of her role. Just when she was getting a hang of it.

She nodded in response.

“Now go. Tell the others. Let them prepare before we choose. Go, Bobbin. Leave us. LEAVE US.”

Bobbin hesitated, but the stare in Rakust's -- the Seer's -- eyes was so intimidating that she could not do but obey. She was about to raise her finger, but stopped. She had wanted to ask about Thîkut. If Thîkut had tried to lead them to ruin, to deceive them, but somehow she knew they would not answer. So she turned on her heels and left the room, a lump in her throat.

Her time as Overseer of Seerspire was over...

But for Seerspire this was perhaps only the beginning.

As Bobbin walked out of the Seer's quarters with her shoulders sunken and head down -- thinking where lay the deception she was warned of -- most dwarves were gathered in the meeting hall. Some watched a masonry demonstration led by Dodók Bearfloor, while others chatted with their friends.

Erush Intensecloistered and Mafol Geartwinkling reminesced on their year in Seerspire. Erush, who was then a blacksmith, was recently appointed as the new manager, while Mafol, a skilless peasant before, had taken a liking in fishing. So, essentially he was still a skilless peasant but now with something to do.

“Say, you remember when we came here?” Mafol asked Erush.

“Yes, why?” He replied.

“Well, you ever wonder about those skulkers?” Mafol continued asking.

“Which ones? What skulkers?” Erush looked confused.

“I'm talking about THEM. The odd bunch carrying packs on a pony and horse,” Mafol whispered. “Those with animals in cages, too. Standing in the bamboo thicket near the river's bend.”

“Oh, those,” Erush said, still not quite getting what Mafol was saying. Then it clicked. Indeed, when they had come there was this group of four dwarves -- two well-armed -- looking quite lost in the woods. Mafol had waved at them, but they just looked the other way, as if trying to pretend they did not notice.

“OH. Now I get what you're talking about,” Erush blurted out. “Yes, they were mighty suspicious indeed. Skulking. Quite apt a word.”

“Wonder what they were up to?” Mafol rubbed his chin and twirled his beard.

“Probably just some lost travelers,” Erush waved his hand dismissively. “Out on a stroll. Taking in some fresh air and then -WHAM- suddenly lost. Probably found their way out, too. Haven't seen them since.”

“I don't know... Maybe? Should we anyway mention someone about them? Like the Overseer? You're part of the organization now, you tell.” Mafol addressed Erush.

“Nah, no need,” Erush straightened his robe and tried to act like a proper official of government. He cleared his throat before continuing. “Nothing important. I'm certain. Really. No need to bother Miss Overseer with it. I know these things as Manager... Say, should we go check if the new batch of wine is ready?”

It was not.

=====

Alright, so that's my turn then. Played around 1.5 years.

Sorry if the report came out too long. Got a bit of a fey mood there which included artwork, too.

So, it's @Salmeuk next.

I'll upload the save later today or early tomorrow.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2023, 11:43:00 am »

lovely read. you always capture the day-to-day and have these fleshed out conversations, awesome stuff.

Bëmbul the Bookkeeper-Manager had taken to fishing. His nerves needed some relaxing and what better way to do that then sit at the pool fed by the stream, shielded by sturdy stone from the dangers of the outside world? He was still a bit distressed after seeing Thîkut's mangled body when he made the first run for the wagon. And to make matters worse, he had got into arguments with other dwarves. It made him bitter.

But here, at the pool, he felt good.

now I wish I had one of these underground pools fed by mountain streamwater.

uhm, any special notes for fortress defense? like, if you notice the undead arriving on map in a specific location? Id rather not kill a bunch of these fools if I can help it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2023, 12:17:42 pm »

There's really not much of a defense going yet. We're still holed up and gone only few times up using the side passages with the CRUSHER. Migrants have come in that way too. Oh, now the passages have also a couple cage traps as backup, but more is needed.

I just mainly concentrated on making the living quarters and work space. Nothing else much.

There's some blueprints/markers on the map, which are just potential routes to dig if you want to head south or east. Then there's a start of a 2x2 stair next (south) of the double 2x2 stairs, which I intended as a cavern breaching dig.

You're free to mess up stuff however you like, BUT please do not touch the waterworks. There's undug marker stairs there leading down from the emptying floodgates and I intend to send the water through them eventually into the caverns (if emptying is needed). I just don't want anyone accidentally flooding the fort by touching my waterwork stuff. :P

Anyway, here's the SAVE

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seerspire - The Trial of Spirits [Overseers Welcome! DF0.47.05]
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2023, 12:38:41 pm »

@Salmeuk, here's what the Seer will foretell your Overseer:

Rolled a: "The Seer foretells of famine."

Interpret how the Seer says it and how it (possibly) manifests however you will.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 08:19:30 am »

oooh. working on this today and tomorrow.

@Salmeuk, here's what the Seer will foretell your Overseer:

Rolled a: "The Seer foretells of famine."

Interpret how the Seer says it and how it (possibly) manifests however you will.

a curious foretelling by a curious dwarf, Rakust.

Erush Intensecloistered carefully placed the slab at the entry to the new main hall. It felt wrong to do it, to send a spirit that had returned from the Beyond, from the Halls of the Ancestors. But it was the orders of the Overseer, so he didn't dare refuse. For as far as he knew the Overseer was the Hand of the Ancestors that was guided by the Seer, the Voice of the Ancestors.

I find it ironic that it was Rakust the Seer who felt the effects of these ghosts most harshly. some kind of poetry there

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 09:48:11 am »

@Salmeuk

Oh hey, I left that one guy labeled as a Mutineer. You can remove the profession and add jobs to the dwarf, since my turn and the mutiny is over.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2023, 04:44:53 am »

Already liking how this fort is going can't wait to see the next part.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2023, 01:52:48 am »

In that crisp autumn air, "Sal" Rinuloddom strode up the grassy knoll towards the small stone bunker that served as entrance to Seerspire. As he climbed the slope, he passed underneath a canopy of red and orange leaves, and through meadows of red clover and blueberry bushes.

He had spent the morning avoiding everyone, wandering the forest (this was somewhat dangerous but Sal was careful to listen for approaching undead). Now, he was expected to return to his role as fortress Manager. The recent migrations had left Seerspire full to brim with new dwarves, each of whom carried their own petty complaints about the lack of chairs or mugs or temples or WHATEVER. Sal never had space to breathe, anymore.

A recent change in leadership had also burdened Sal with the title of Overseer, or the one who called the shots. Sal was also good friends with Rakust the Seer, who was always proclaiming strange, unnnerving things., and staring off into the distance with cloudy eyes. But good friends they were.

Sal got to work for the day. His small stone office near the dining hall was sufficient for personal meetings with residents. Most came sharing tales of horror from the various undead incursions Seerspire has fought back over the past year. Some carried grievances against fellow citizens, and here Sal tried to smooth over conflict before it began to affect morale.

The next task at hand was blueprinting workorders for the follow years. The previous overseer, Bobbin, had favored the simple neccesities of survival, and the practical results of liquid engineering, over gradiose designs, but this left Seerspire feeling somewhat cramped. Bedroom and temples would be constructed during the next year. As well, the miners were tasked with a geological survey of the underlying stone layers.

+++

Sal, having spent the last weeks studying the roster of citizens, noted an abundance of engravers. Most were youngbeards, barely capable of cutting marble, yet they deemed themselves altogether the most important group of laborers in the entire fortress!

A bridge was constructed across the east-west ravine, allowing access to further lignite and bauxite deposits. During this process an undead eagle descended between the cliffs and onto the construction, trapping some of the miners on the opposite side.

With no standing military, or even militia, the dwarves scrambled to react. Eventually recruiting a number of miners to bash the creature into bits.

At least, that was the plan. Eral Coalbend flung himself at the creature, only to tumble over the side of the half-built bridge into the cold water below. Eral drowned before any rescue could be performed... the eagle remains, taunting.

+++

The seer never lied, and famine conditions were soon present at Seerspire. Stocks dwindled during the winter season. The food supply was mostly plump helmets and turtles. Turtle soup, turtle stew, roasted turtle feet, and turtle a la turtle, all washed down with a dry plump helmet wine...

+++

Exploration into bauxite resulted in discovery of rubies and green jade.

++

Late in winter, Limul brought a life into this world. Ushrir Woundburns would spend the rest of winter swaddled in cloth against the chill air.

+++

Spring arrived, and with it, the completion of the temple complex. A large general temple for all worshippers, flanked by a small duo of temples, one dedicated to Kadol, god of freedom, while the second was for Titthal, god of metal, fire, and hunting.

Migrants showed up, banging on the hatch covers that blocked the entrances. They were let in and brought Seerspire to a healthy 66 population.

+++

That summer, the dwarves ventured to the surface and chopped down a number of trees, hauling the wood below, stocking the place with excess until the dwarves were drowning in the stuff. This was for future needs, but, Sal couldn't help but think that maybe the woodcutters had gone a little overboard with the task.

+++

It was around that period when time came to pass on the role of overseer. A short stint, but productive, and laid the groundwork for future expansions. Despite his best intentions, Sal never did discover the underground caverns.

Rakust was consulted by all the dwarves: who would lead next?

thanks for reading. short turn, half a year, due to various reasons, hopefully the story will grow further for Sal. sign me up for another one!

save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16884
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 07:02:04 pm by Salmeuk »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2023, 01:36:23 am »

Did someone say "overseers welcome"?
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2023, 03:14:14 am »

Lovely update Salmeuk! Good to see Seerspire is spreading across the ravine!

Seems like we've avoided bigger troubles so far, but maybe that'll change sooner or later.

Did someone say "overseers welcome"?

Indeed!

There's a slot open currently, so feel free to pick it up if you want!

If you take the turn, you're the next then to be Overseer chosen by the Ancestors via the Seer.

The foretelling for the next overseer is:

Rolled a: "The Seer foretells of beasts long-forgotten."

Interpret this however you will as the overseer.

Edit. @Travis Bickle, I added you to the list as next player. Slots can be changed if you can't pick the game now.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2023, 12:34:15 am »

I can take the next turn, so I suppose you can start my 72-hour time clock. To get some clarification on the rules: Do I just play one year or do I play however much I can over the course of three days?

I also would like to make advance apology for my inability to match the writing and artistic skill already displayed in this thread.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2023, 02:15:39 am »

I can take the next turn, so I suppose you can start my 72-hour time clock. To get some clarification on the rules: Do I just play one year or do I play however much I can over the course of three days?

I also would like to make advance apology for my inability to match the writing and artistic skill already displayed in this thread.

You can play ingame as long as you want, so even a couple or as many years as you can fit in is fine. And the 72 hour limit isn't set in stone. If it takes a bit longer, no worries about it.

Also, no need to apologize: we got no skill requirements here. Everyone writes in their own style and that's good enough!

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2023, 07:43:46 pm »

Part IV:
The Vision

Even in the midst of the haunted lands wherein the inhabitants of Seerspire had made their home, it is in a Dwarf's nature to try to make the most out of his situation and attend to his affairs just the same as he would in more prosperous times. As such, on a midsummer's evening in the year 277, most of Seerspire's modest population had made their way to the dining area after a long day's work. Some of them were, undoubtedly, thinking about how their second and most recent overseer, a dwarf who was familiarly known as "Sal," had resigned his position; the greater majority of them were more concerned with the absence of liquor in the fortress. This discomfort aside, it was easy to forget about the horrors that lurked outside, never far away if any dwarf decided to wander outside.

Over the noise of the dining hall, the frantic steps of a small handful of stragglers from outside rushing towards the doors. At the sound of them being slammed open, every dwarf looked up from his food and conversation to the late arrivals, who looked frenzied.

"The Seer! The Seer!" shouted the dwarf who had thrown open the doors.

Hushed whispers broke out amongst a few of the dwarves as Rakust's convulsing body was dragged into the dining room, supported on either side by the shoulders of two other dwarves who rushed him into the dining room. Everyone knew that the Ancestors would choose who would succeed Sal in leading Seerspire, yet most preferred to not think about the dramatic means by which they relayed their message.

"A chair for the Seer!" demanded one of the dwarves, and quickly one was relinquished to the two dwarves who had discovered the writhing body of Rakust the Seer on the cold floor of the fortress whilst on their way to dinner. They carefully lowered him onto the chair and withdrew to the corners of the room, joining the rest of the fortress in eagerly awaiting the message. All whispers ceased when the Seer's body went stiff and his eyes rolled all the way back. Then he stood up from the chair, appearing more akin to how a puppet is lifted by strings than how a dwarf rises from his seat, and began to speak in a voice not belonging to any living dwarf.

"Have ye forgotten the fate of your Queen Limul? When her generation grew proud and forgot the Ancestors? So was their provocation answered: Ye were delivered unto your enemies, your fortress made a desolate ruin, your queen made food for worms. For one hundred years and eighty-six we turned our back on ye, and ye were made a people without a king, destined to be scattered unto the four winds.

"Forget not ye that it was the Ancestors who hath shewn mercy unto you. A great test shall be coming your way, and ye shall face a great beast, ancient and forgotten. In your pride shall ye be delivered unto its teeth, and happy shall we be to see you made its portion. Thus shall it be that even the fate of Queen Limul shall be enviable to you."

The room fell quiet for a moment as the Ancestors ceased speaking for a moment. Some in the room were wondering, even hoping that the message had concluded. All of a sudden, however, the Seer raised his arm and thrust a pointed finger into the midst of the dwarves. Everyone's eyes followed the direction of the finger until all eyes were on Mezbuth ômobok, whom many knew as "Bickel." The white eyes of the Seer seemed to stare directly into his soul.

"Thou, dwarf," continued the voice of the Ancestors, "shalt be called the overseer for this test."

The Seer did not say anything more and dropped his arm to his side. The dwarves all returned their collective glance to the Seer, whose mouth twisted into a cruel smile which grew wider and wider. The smile continued to stretch until a slight trickle of blood formed on one of the corners of his mouth, and then all at once the supernatural influence left him and he collapsed into his chair. Some dwarves rushed to his side, offering him water and wiping away the blood from his cheek, but most simply stood in stunned silence as they considered the meaning of the Ancestor's message. Once again, many turned to face the new overseer, looking to his guidance in these concerning times.

"A punishment is upon us," he began nervously after a moment of silent consideration. "Dinner is over for the evening; we mustn't feast now. Try to sleep well tonight, for tomorrow we must begin preparations."

All went to bed in silence that night, hoping that the Ancestors would take pity on them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4