Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Cult at Reigngate - Succumbed to the Cave Swallow  (Read 1374 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Cult at Reigngate - Succumbed to the Cave Swallow
« on: July 13, 2023, 01:50:40 am »

Every year, you must cull %10 of your population. These dwarves are "chosen" by lottery and you have no influence in the matter.

However, there is one control: if the dwarf is a worshiper of the main death cult of your temple they will always be spared from entering into this death lottery. Unless, of course, there is no one left to sacrifice... at that point even true believers are eligible.

The culled dwarves' remains are not allowed to be buried or honored with an engraved slab. They are to be horded in a great temple of bones.

The main goal is to build this temple of bones in the most epic and evil manner possible, providing worship space for the various cults of death, while also surviving the yearly cull's psychological effects, subsequent hauntings, and all the associated troubles of operating a literal death cult.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Necromancers, if encountered, should be captured and put to good use. Reanimated skeletons are, obviously, very cool.

Only the most depraved dwarves will remain in control of their emotions. Only those that worship the cults of death may find sanity in this place. Only fools would entertain such a challenge.

anyways here I am

===

It is the year of Roc. Dreams of great birds peering down from above. The temple is growing, slowly. Filling with bones..

Zimesh The Ashen, god of death, has set in motion a great plan, and the principal character would be Dumed Glovedance. Lor Glovedbucks the necromancer was master over Dumed, in a pinky and the brain sort of way. Dumed performed whatever she commanded with little question. In this way, Dumed was the stupid pawn of greater powers, and seemed to relish his lack of freedom.

Lor wanted to rule the world, and this fortress was only one of many nodes in her growing network of hidden outposts. Each generated wealth, weapons, and biological material for the experimentations

Before Dumed left the subterranean laboratory of Lor, she was given a powerful image, titled "The Mark of Bones." This image was to be hidden, shown only to members of the cult. It may cause.. deleterious reactions.. in those unacquainted with Zimesh the Ashen.

A warped white moon shivers coldly behind the dark silhouette of a giant raven, which lays prostrate before a small image of Lor standing in upright prayer.

The image was printed on thick parchment with a black ink. Dumed rolled this into a leather scrollcase and left for the waiting caravan.

===

Wheels rolling endlessly. Sodden, broken wheels.. repaired with wood and broken nail countless times on the road to here. Where is here?

Here is Reigngate, so founded by Dumed Glovedance in year 250 under the direct orders of Lor Glovedbucks the necromancer,  and dedicated to the sacrificial worship of Zimesh the Ashen, the Dark God of the Bloody Beard, who revels in death and dismay and really likes ornate displays of bone and skull.

Of the seven dwarves, Dumed is the sole worshipper of Zimesh, with the remaining dwarves praying towards a different, lesser god. They would be converted, or sacrificed, there was no doubt!

The low desert mountain was flanked with dense temperate forests of cedar, wild cherries and persimmons. The ground smelled like magma, or so the miners claimed. Digging through the sand revealed great mounds of obsidian glass. One should always trust miners and their noses.

It was planned to sink a great divot into this fossilized volcano, an artificial chasm.. this would take years but it would keep the others busy while Dumed planned for the first culling. A temporary hovel was dug into the slate layers of the northeastern quadrant, near the fruit trees. For some reason the dwarves had brought a tame elephant and this was pastured nearby.

The six laborers were as follows:

Code: [Select]
Etur - worships Mete Milu. Overly talkative. Likely to raise alarm should she notice something.
Kikrost - worships Kadol Luriterib. Built strong and tough.
Domas - worships Mete Milu. Peaceful and sheep-like.
Deler - worships Mete Milu. Easily distracted - an easy target.
Sodel - worships Doren Limarosram. A hard worker but unable to form social bonds.
Sigun - worships Mete Milu. A crazy musician.

All were competent miners, having been hired into this role, and all were unaware of Dumed's intentions.

Meanwhile, under the guise of constructing a temple for Mete Milu, Dumed went to work designing a secret shrine to Zimesh. A shrine of death, carved from frozen obsidian, with walls polished into black mirrors.

After this work, Dumed took one of the larger obsidian shards, and secretly fashioned a blade. More dagger than sword, the flat edge was sharper than any steel, and was concealable under a shirt or cloak. And so Dumed felt assured.

Summer arrived, and the dwarves labored on.

===

"Hey, I thought this was a temple to honor Mete Milu? Why are we installing these creepy obsidian statues of Zimesh all over the place?"

late summer, two migrants arrived.

Mebzuth - worships Doren Limarosram. High master metalcrafter with great strength.
Ubbul - polytheist, worships all the popular gods, but also Zimesh. A legendary gem setter at the young age of 84.

A worshipper of Doren, and a polytheist who shares sympathies with Zimesh. Curious - could this Ubbul Paddlebreaths be trusted with the activities of the cult, despite her split allegiance?

The digging of the great chasm began.

Early in autumn arrived the mountainhome traders. The dwarves traded obsidian swords for meat and cloths. Exporters of death, they were! Zimesh was proud.

Late in autumn, 11 migrants arrived, as follows:

Eral - worships Mete Milu. Woodcutter.
Rigoth - worships Mete Milu. Peasant.
Ezum - worships Avuz Idavuz. Clothier.
Vucar - worships Rimtar Onmemad Nirmekrit. Stonecrafter.
Zuglar - worships Egu. Strand extractor.
Atir Enjoypulleys - polytheist, worships Zimesh. Ranger.
Tun Churchnets - polytheist, worships Zimesh. Fisherdwarf.
Oddom Nuthall - polytheist, worships Zimesh. Fisherdwarf.
Rakust Roughnessshythm - polytheist, worships Zimesh. Farmer.
Deler Tinscaled - worships Zimesh alone. No skills but very strong.
Erith Oarswords - worships Zimesh alone. Accomplished weaponsmith - very useful.

Due to their overwhelming exclusivity of their faith, Deler and Erith were chosen to join the inner council of the cult, along with Dumed, and so were given the title "Priest of Zimesh".

This brings the total cult size to eight dwarves, of 20.

Etur, one of the unchosen, the laborers, got into some kind of strange mood, and stole a bench at the stonecutters. Curious, we allowed her to work... she took a large boulder of obsidian and created a huge, menacing cabinet. Covered in spikes of razor glass, it was exactly the last thing you want to place in your bedroom. Perfection! We considered indoctrinating Etur as a reward for this artifact, but her faith in Mete Milu was too strong. She would remain in the lottery.

===

On the full moon of the 28th of Obsidian, the black month, the final month, the deepest winter nights, Dumed called for the priests. Deler and Erith both appeared, dressed in dark, with a list. Each non-believer was given a number, and the priests cackled as they rolled the obsidian dice... 1 and 9. Vucar and Kikrost.

They were told a reward was waiting for them, in the room at the back of the obsidian room of the purest black, filled with a statue gallery of skeletal gods and necromancers. Way back behind the locking door..

Vucar and Kikrost were informed, and happily moved into "the room". The door was locked. and .... the lever was pulled and .... the sacrifice was made. Zimesh surely looked on in pleasure.

Spring brought 17 migrants, too many to list here.. New cultists galore, and plenty of non-believers - Reigngates was growing fast. New terraced farms were placed near the obsidian outpost.

New priests include Domas Dimplecrafted, Limul Citybelt the master of mechanisms, and two others.

One particular non-believer smells funny. Urvad Ropenourished .. keep an eye on this one.

Curiously, one of the migrants claimed to not believe in any gods at all... what a fool! Doesn't he feel the raw energy emanating from the bloodied chamber of death and dismay? The obsidian heart beats loudly now....

The Umbral Faith requires a temple and a priest.

Of course, my lord, anything for you - but didn't you notice that we already have three temples and nine priests?

to be continued
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 08:11:12 pm by Salmeuk »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: The Cult at Reigngates
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 02:40:35 am »

Ooh, this seems interesting!

I recall a great story from the early days of 2-d, a forum story wherein a lone dwarf survives catastrophe and goes insane, living in a hidden chamber near the cave river, carving strange symbols into the stone and murdering any newcomers. This story is, perhaps, my inspiration for this particular challenge. I wish I could find it again...

The story that comes into mind from this is One Dwarf Against the World. Not sure if it is the one, tho.

Merrygin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 05:06:04 am »

I love it !!! Metal af, love that you even went to an obisidan heavy location to fit the vibes.
Im very curious how the dwarves will fare with all the death thats to come... truly, only the toughest of spirit will get through this.
AKUR AKIR AKAM

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 05:20:42 am »

Oh man this looks like a good one, better PTW it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 09:26:12 pm »

Ooh, this seems interesting!

I recall a great story from the early days of 2-d, a forum story wherein a lone dwarf survives catastrophe and goes insane, living in a hidden chamber near the cave river, carving strange symbols into the stone and murdering any newcomers. This story is, perhaps, my inspiration for this particular challenge. I wish I could find it again...

The story that comes into mind from this is One Dwarf Against the World. Not sure if it is the one, tho.

wow. thank you. I had been looking for a while and sort of forgot the relevant search term! That one is awesome.

I love it !!! Metal af, love that you even went to an obisidan heavy location to fit the vibes.
Im very curious how the dwarves will fare with all the death thats to come... truly, only the toughest of spirit will get through this.

you know what? I didn't notice how volcanic the area was until I embarked. and it's worked out perfectly.

Obsidian has a true black color in the premium version which makes the characters pop, when used as flooring.. very nice.

and, uh, it seems the gods of RNG have other ideas for this story:

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 03:15:57 am »

That's an exciting development, I wonder if the vampire is a member of the cult.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 12:07:29 pm »

This should be interesting
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 12:38:44 pm »

That's an exciting development, I wonder if the vampire is a member of the cult.

If not a cultist, well, perhaps a blood sacrifice is due in a well with retractable spikes?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 12:18:56 am »

A lot happened. So much so that I sort of lost the narrative thread. That happens in DF - the simulation tirelessly ticks forward, throwing such a huge variety of events that it can be tough to wrap it all up nicely. The piecemeal journal below is the tattered remnants of a much larger story that exists only in my head. also don't forget to right click ---> 'open image in new tab' if the screenshots are too small to read.

===

We are merchants of death. These black blades, bins and bins of them, are sold at a discount, or freely given to visiting warriors. The obsidian will go on to kill, maim, bring death and destruction. All profits were hoarded in the cult's coffers. Hundreds, soon, thousands of blades, scattered like seeds to the wind...

The riches below.

The autumn caravan rides elephants over the desert hills.

The black blades we have become famous for:

The autumn caravan left the dwarves with cloth, leather, steel and coal. There may come a point where the caravans stop. Until then, the cult will hoard goods.

A large number of visitors arrived, curious about the newly established outpost. Most were tourists, non-believers, or simple flaneurs, but many were heavily armed ... this was dangerous for the cult.

Curiously, Zin claimed noble birth and, despite our orders, sat drunk in our tavern telling stories

The Temple of Bones' modest beginnings:

===

A cult member was discovered, drained of blood. An undead bloodsucker lurks in the obsidian corridors.

It is likely that Urvad Ropenourished is the vampire. Urvad does not worship Zimesh and is thus a non-believer. However, one might imagine a vampire to be a valuable ally to a death cult.

The vampire... we suspect.

Making friends I see?

Urvad smells funny, is super old, and has blue skin. He is a legendary tracker and a competent fighter. Beyond this, he is constantly bragging about his lack of empathy and is generally cruel. He worships many strange gods, none of them known to members of the cult. Suspicious to his core.

The vampire's death was put to a vote, with priests receiving three votes and Dumed, leader, receiving six.

Dumed, cult leader - does not value friendship, or loyalty. Vote against. -6
Deler, cult priest - neutral, but does not have any relations with Urvad. Vote against. -3
Doren, cult priest - he values a 'harmonious existence'. Vote against. -3
Domas, cult priest - she is friends with Urvad. Vote for. +3
Limul, cult priest - respects power. Vote for. +1
Oddom, cultist - does not see cooperation as valuable. Vote against. -1
Atir, cultist - does not value the truth, respects power. Vote for. +1
Atir, cultist - does not believe in order or harmony. Vote for. +1
Ubbul the Broker, cultist - is currently miffed about being left out in the rain, and doesn't care much for 'secretive fools'. Vote for. +1
Rakust, cultist - sees competition as wasteful. Vote against. -1
tun, cultist - neutral. Vote against. -1

The clear winner was the vote against. The powerful veto of the leader was noted by the cult members.

The decision was made, Urvad would be sacrificed, yet there was still a full season before the next Obsidian Moon. He was locked in "the room" for now.

the bottom of the pit

===

One of the camels snuck in and killed a pet dog, and was given a title and lived in our jeweler's shop for about a year before I noticed.

Overall progress on the workspace and common rooms:

Reigngates is not for the faint of heart. Even true believers find the ghosts bothersome.

Stealing jewels, are we? Foul spectre!

===

Two kobolds stare at the mad dwarf who runs past them without a care in the world.

Mebzuth went moody. In his desperation, he ran to the surface, looking for raw gems. Even a skulking kobold duo would not stop his mad path.

Eventually, he forged a perfect figurine of the first Queen, Mafol, and her ascension to the throne in year 1. The authenticity was unquestionable - it was as if you were peering back in time through some magical lens at the young queen herself.

===

One last meal, eh Urvad? He escaped without my noticing. I swear I locked that door... Just you wait. Bloodsucker.

===

"These corpses stink!"

"Hey! You should have let this one sit in the catacombs for a bit longer... its not done yet."

"Can't we let them rot elsewhere, before putting them on the pedestals?"

Some of the priests complained. Dumed, who had long since taken to stuffing his nose with sticks of celery (for this plant grew in abundance here and smelled somewhat spicy), had no sympathy for such weakness.

"Zimesh... does not care for your mortal sensations. Every wisp of unpleasantness you might experience evaporates before the burning gaze of the Blood-Bearded Zimesh."

===

The 28th and the full moon approached. Despite losing six dwarves to accidents, the sacrifice would go on... yet even Zimesh saw fit to spare the children from the lottery. Life was difficult enough, death always near in a dwarven fortress.

This left us with a population of 42. Four would be put in "the room".

11, 13, 19 and 33. The numbers were called. Perhaps it was this moment when the majority of dwarves came to understand what this "reward" truly was. This wave of horror, but amazement... for Zimesh was a member of the pantheon and as powerful and respectable as any other god. And the lottery seemed fair (for the cultists obscured the fact that they were spared from the draw). No one was trapping these dwarves here, they were free to leave at any time. . . there are many ways for a cult to excuse themselves from moral burdens.

Uvash, the stonecutter.
Avuz, the metalcrafter.
Ral, the lye maker.

and, unfortunately,

Udil, the legendary gemcutter, creator of the milk opal bucket artifact, and one of the most skilled dwarves in the fortress, with many friends and allies...
All were ordered into the room. They went willingly. The lever was covered in dust, having sat untouched for an entire year.

A gruesome experience. One of the ghosts playing horrible jokes as they fall..

Landing on your neck is apparently a good technique for avoiding the stakes.

===

Most curiously, a ghostly miner named Sigun chose to visit the soon-to-be-killed vampire Urvad, before he was dropped on the stakes. It turns out that Sigun was one of the previous victims of Urvad. I can only imagine what kind of things were said ...

===

Urvad Ropenourished was anything but. Having survived the 10-z level fall, he now clung to the wall just above the menacing spikes, bleeding but tough.. he would survive.

"Let me out - I'm thirsty."

"For blood?"

"Of course... LET ME FEED!"

Urvad the vampire was eventually let out, and under heavy guard he was expelled into the desert wastelands. Good riddance... but would he return one day?
===

A natural gold vein was preserved in the cult's headquarters.

The humans first arrived in this third year. They seemed wary of the dwarves, but word had spread of the wonderful quality of the obsidian swords, and the tall gangly creatures felt the need to arm themselves with the latest dwarven technology.

====

the caverns swarm with fecund monstrosities

========

An attack by cavern dwellers leaves five dead. The pictured Cave Swallow Spearman was responsible for all. Enalagash's corpse now sits proudly in the temple of bones.

Dumed was finding it more and more difficult to find time to worship Zimesh. All the fortress was heavily burdened by the constant miasma and death. Some were adapting, however most wore gaunt looks of depression, horror, alienation......

The discovery of a magma pool:

=========

The figurine of the first Queen was stolen! But one of the ghosts, they claim to have seen whodunit... all such ghosts were summoned to the temple and interrogated. No leads were discovered but the sheriff was applauded for his outside-the-box thinking.

===

A golden spear!

=====

The population rested at 49. The dwarves were anxious, wary of the lottery... everyone knew what the deal was here. Sacrifice to Zimesh, be rewarded with infinite riches. Simple.

Four numbers were chosen. 3, 29, 9, 22. These dwarves will remain unnamed.... let it be know that two of them returned as spectres.

====

A were chameleon arrives.

Spilled guts!

The fight was short, two died, two were infected. With no hospital this was a problem, and the infected were soon intermixed with the common population...

The cult priest Limul, first to fall during the second wave of transformations.

The next full moon was bloody and resulted in more death. However, one of the chameleons was trapped in a basement room. And so remains there today.

Sometime during these multiple encounters, our leader died... the exact moment was lost in the confusion. One of the priests, Domas, was elected to the position. The cult would overcome.

====

The tavern's first bloodletting... let the black stones drink!

One of the visiting bards, Amxu, turned werelizard in the middle of a performance. All eyes were locked on his elegant form, until the shirt burst from his back and the scales grew grotesque, covered in pus and slime, transformed so quickly by the curse..

He immediately killed Domas the cult leader who was sitting front row and center. More died. The cultists eventually cut the monster to pieces.

Too many casualties to determine who exactly was bit, so all were thrown into the newly created quarantine hospital (we had learned from the werechameleon):

Here you can see the three trapped lizards after the battle.

===

Thikut patrols the temple of bones.

Trogs invade the temples.

It's that time of the year. Six numbers, for 63 dwarves live here.

17, 24, 38, 3, 14, 34

Six more dwarves, given to Zimesh, and so it was done.

===

The poor elephant barely survived.

Five days later, the goblin's army arrived. Immediately they set upon the stray elephant, who courageously survived an onslaught of bolts and punches for about three days straight, until our squads arrived and cleaned up the greenskins.

===

All of this occurred in less than three years. Zimesh, please, I beg of you, stop trying to kill us!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 12:25:31 am by Salmeuk »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 03:31:19 am »

Dang that's a lot of death in three years even for a death cult.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 05:32:46 am »

So many dead. The death god must be pleased of this.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2023, 08:14:21 am »

This fortress has lasted longer than I imagined it would. The gruesome nature of annual decimation is... somewhat intolerable, as a player who generally enjoys the promotion of life and sanity and all those nice, joyful things that DF can provide. I will push onward...

===

1 - Logem prays to Zimesh for salvation of his only son, Beru, who was bitten by the wereskinks in the last year, and now lays trapped in the condemned hospital ward designated "skink quarantine"

2 - 23rd Late Spring Felsite - werellama. a whole fucking menagerie we are building. zoo of monstrosities. The children Bembul, Sarvesh, Catten, and Erush managed to distract the beast for long enough that the moon passed and the warriors arrived. True hijinks! The children managed to avoid bites and dodged a great deal.

3 - the death of the werellama. luckily, before this fight one of the mercenary swordsman fought the beast, wounding it.

4 - the priests were assigned blades and told to begin training. All needed to prepare for violence, such was this world

5 - cave toad ambush when digging the canal, attempting to fill a well cistern closer to the main staircase. the toad leaped from the murky water and was struck by the fists of the miners and temporarily stunned. the two took this time to run the fuck away

6 - our legendary weaponsmith decided to visit the cavern lake at this exact moment. Tosid was ambushed by the toad who was now using the freshly dug canal as a sort of hiding spot, and shoved the weaponsmith into the lake. No good dwarf knows how to swim, and so Tosid began to drown. and then he DID drown. fuckkkkk

7 - the canal for water and sustenance

8 - constant elkbird intrusions

9 - sigun the legendary miner ghost gives advice to the living miners, who are busy digging the Gigantic Chasm of Death.. and Bones... Very Evil Yes. . . (wip title ok)

10 - death of elephant  :(

11 - one of the ghosts, or maybe a gremlin, pulled the well lever. we found the cistern full up to the brim and beyond. luckily the design allowed for easy draining just in case of this very thing.

12 - most of the fortress pitched in when it came time to fell the cavern mushrooms. the caverns were almost exclusively filled with white towercaps

13 - the snatchers stole a child . or that's what we think, because they have returned in greater numbers and are acting bolder, sneaking right up to the front door

14 - the ghosts are getting bored, and taking control of the weaker-minded dwarves, just for the fun of it

15 - tapping the magma pool. the filling will take a year, or more, as  the magma must travel across the entire map.

16 - Eral, ghostly woodcutter, stealing the Golden Artifact Spear. Eral spent the next year sitting there, holding the spear. Guarding the artifact horde, or something else?

17 - a pile of bones... all that remains of the cave swallow invaders

18 - a map of the (simplistic) magma works

===

The 28th of Obsidian approaches. The full moon, the death day... whatever you want to call it.

Reigngates sat at a population of 93. 9 would be selected.

70, 31, 89, 71, 83, 5, 58, 90, 48

The line of dwarves looked at one another, counting down, to find those selected by the great obsidian dice of Zimesh.

5 - Athel, the blacksmith
31 - Fath, the mechanic
48 - Libash, the potash maker
58 - Nish, the surgeon
70 - Stukos, the carpenter
71 - Stinthad, the brewer
83 - Ushrir, the lye maker
89 - Vucar, the miner
90 - Zefon, the jeweler

Lorbam, Cult Priest, meditates on Death outside the sacrificial chamber

All were given to the pit and, later, their desiccated corpses were arranged in a very neat manner atop various pedestals in the temple of Zimesh.

===

A goblin siege. They want more, eh? OBSIDIAN SWORDS AT THE READY!

20 - Dodok charges the siege, alone, and enters a martial trance. the black blade swings easily and blurs into a shadow as Dodok cuts into goblin after goblin

21 - Dodok falls out of his trance and succumbs to the horrible reality of his odds. soon after, Dodok perishes

22 - The siege is lifted after a bloody fight. two more dwarves are dead.

23 - Fafire the Frog arrives, and helps us out by killing all the remaining cave swallow invaders.

24 - migrants arrive, despite the danger. A LOT OF THEM DAMN

===

the ghosts make things... interesting.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cult at Reigngates - ten ghosts and counting
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 04:07:29 am »

How many ghosts does the fort have now, with all the death there must be loads of them.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 10:22:01 am »

10+, I actually updated the thread title haha.

Some of the recently ghostly shenanigans:

one of the ghosts likes to posess small children and make them tantrum. this has triggered at least one tantrum spiral and mass fistfight
one of the ghosts has begun to follow random dwarves, literally trailing them through the ground and causing massive sanity loss
multiple ghosts enjoy unlocking random doors. This has resulted in a near-miss wereskink release, the opening of the cavern doorway to countless elkbirds, and perhaps most hilariously, one of the ghostly sacrifices opened the door to the sacrificial chamber a few days before the full moon. Almost as if, despite their spectral form, they still sympathized with the living, and took action to help them escape.
one of the ghosts has started killing people via fear : "xxx has been found, contorted in fear". this one is a big problem, because any additional death is horrible here at Reigngates, and this ghost has so far only targeted cultists. Coincidence?
one of the ghosts spent two years clutching an artifact golden spear. Alone, in the vault, just sitting, stroking the golden spear.... so weird.
One of the ghostly miners follows the other, living miners, appearing to shout useful advice or perhaps taunting them with his half-crushed lower body: "this could happen to you!"

One new observation about ghosts in the premium version, is that they appear to have different colors depending on their form. This might be related to their particular motivations. I might have a chance to do some real science here, but there appear to be three variations: green, white, and brown / sepia.

if anyone is curious, I have been recording VODs of the entire Reigngates playthrough. no mic, just gameplay. here is the most recent (unedited) video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raySISr79Sw
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 10:25:06 am by Salmeuk »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2023, 10:54:00 am »

It ain't Spookyfort yet!

Brilliant idea, Sal! Happy to read along!
Pages: [1] 2