Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Locktorch, a Endless succession fortress (50.11)  (Read 8346 times)

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Dyansties succession fortress 50.08 classic
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2023, 05:04:55 am »

I'd love to sign up!

You can start anytime you want, try to keep a simple log of important events and if babies are born in the fortress. Try to get a screenshot of the fortress once every ingame year
Here is the save
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16759 (post your save when your when you finish your succession)

btw I'll put you as the second leader
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 09:34:26 am by Chicken »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2023, 10:01:09 am »

Sing me up!

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2023, 10:17:37 am »

Sing me up!

you will be first in the queue, when digitaldryad posts the download link for the world in a couple of days, you can go next.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:17:56 pm by Chicken »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2023, 02:11:46 pm »

this  succession format has good potential for megaprojects, since someone can just roll in and play for as long as they want.  thus avoiding the usual issue of having only a single year to plan, prepare, and implement your ideas

digitaldryad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2023, 10:37:33 pm »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16763

On the 17th of Slate, in the year 8
Dumat Ganglabors uncovered the second cavern layer
a cavern filled with water
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One week later a forgotten beast arrived

Fortunately, it was well separated from the dwarves, and wandered the first cavern slaughtering rodent men.

Cutting down logs in the walls of the tavern caused a cave-in, leading to the unfortunate demise of Woodworker Olon Ekastkubuk.

On the 14th of Hematite, a group of human merchants arrived.  Upon discussion with the Merchants Guild Liaison, we requested Hens and Roosters, as well as various types of sand.  In exchange they indicated a desire for shields/bucklers and prepared meals.  Meanwhile, a hidden project was underway…

On the 20th of Hematite we discovered the 3rd cavern layer, and quickly sealed off the flooded cavern.

16th of Malachite, a migrant wave, bringing our popualtion to 47.
19th of Malachite, warm stone located at floor -63, praise the miners!

Progress is underway!

The matchmaking suite has been built and lavishly appointed! For the glory of Thaklitast!

The 13th of Limestone, year 8:
12th of sandstone, year 8
Migrants have arrived, rounding our population at 50.  No more shall arrive, save those born in the village.

15th of Timber, HFS spoiler

26th of Moonstone.  It is complete.  It shall serve as our barracks.  Perhaps later we shall put it to a use of grander design.

15th slate year 9, the Forgotten Beast Necate arrives.   A being composed of flame, the first cavern layer is set alight.  It engages in a great battle with Zekrim, who has killed two other forgotten beasts who entered his territory.  This battle proves to be a stalemate, as the nickel giant cannot hurt that which is incorporeal, and the flames do little against Zekrim’s metal body. 

On the 14th of Limestone, year 10, the outpost liaison Minkot Dastotelis offers Locktorch an opportunity to baronship.  Naturally we accept, recommending Melbil our Expedition Leader to the position.

By the 20th of moonstone year 10, Zekrim’s battle with Necate has ended.  The fire snail is nowhere to be found, and Zekrim’s kills do not count her amongst his number.  Whence she went, only Armok knows. 

One by one the monster hunters are expelled, as they serve no purpose in our humble barony.
As the winter of 10 arrives and the moat freezes over, we take a moment to reflect on our achievements.  A doctors guildhall has been constructed, as well as the establishment of a healthy chicken flock.  Many new artifacts have been made, and our strong militia has contacted and received tribute from a number of neighboring civilizations.  Locktorch is now a barony, and her halls overflow with drink and food.  Our defenses are stronger than ever, with a trio of ballistae overseeing the bridge.  Deep in the depths

Dynasty ended 17th Obsidian, year 10.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2023, 04:31:09 am »

btw i like the chicken you made (its even in my username).

Sing me up!

You can start anytime you want, the new world is https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16763

you are the 3rd leader Baprr

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:58:08 pm by Chicken »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Dyansties succession fortress 50.09 classic
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2023, 02:38:23 pm »

Cutting down logs in the walls of the tavern caused a cave-in, leading to the unfortunate demise of Woodworker Olon Ekastkubuk.

hey that was load-bearing fungi you carelessly chopped down! structural mycelium is good for the environment dontcha know...

awesome chicken pixels

15th slate year 9, the Forgotten Beast Necate arrives.   A being composed of flame, the first cavern layer is set alight.  It engages in a great battle with Zekrim, who has killed two other forgotten beasts who entered his territory.  This battle proves to be a stalemate, as the nickel giant cannot hurt that which is incorporeal, and the flames do little against Zekrim’s metal body. 

in my head, I imagined a late-80's anime interpretation of this fight and it was pretty epic. in this version the fire would melt the nickel and the two creatures would merge in a sort of horrible alchemy, spawning an even greater threat in the process.

a grand update. thanks for the writeup. im looking at the size of the tavern and our popcap of 50 and thinking I might have overbuilt it... perhaps a different use can be found? maybe sticking all the temples in that large room and building a more compact tavern space would be good for socialization efforts.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2023, 02:44:22 pm »

Maybe the tavern could be a museum/libary (with rows of bookshelves) for the big artifacts like the pig iron artifact and the other 2 artifacts?
The books/scrolls could be obtained from caravans or written by the citizens of the fortress

btw the fortress now has like 13000 food and 3500 drink
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:58:47 pm by Chicken »

digitaldryad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2023, 08:18:44 pm »

btw i like the chicken you made (its even in my username).

Thats why I did it! In honor of the grand Chicken

awesome chicken pixels

in my head, I imagined a late-80's anime interpretation of this fight and it was pretty epic. in this version the fire would melt the nickel and the two creatures would merge in a sort of horrible alchemy, spawning an even greater threat in the process.

a grand update. thanks for the writeup. im looking at the size of the tavern and our popcap of 50 and thinking I might have overbuilt it... perhaps a different use can be found? maybe sticking all the temples in that large room and building a more compact tavern space would be good for socialization efforts.

ooo i love that!  Maybe thats why Necate seemed to disappear.  And ty both btw, was considering making a grand chicken voxel tower but thought it might be a bit too much for now heheh.

I think having it as maybe a tavern towards the center w/ multiple rooms for visitors to rent could work!
I do like the idea of it being a temple/guildhall/etc complex though.

Maybe the tavern could be a museum/libary (with rows of bookshelves) for the big artifacts like the pig iron artifact and the other 2 artifacts?
The books/scrolls could be obtained from caravans or written by the citizens of the fortress

btw the fortress now has like 13000 food and 3500 drink

I did start a lil library in a side room, even tried sending out artifact retrieval squads to grab one of the books in the world, but alas that is still bugged and it never went anywhere.  But a library tavern sounds awesome.  We've already had a few scholar visitors too.

and eyyy; they wont go hungry at least.  Plus food and drink are worth a lot in trading rn.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2023, 02:12:34 pm »

Is it possible to rename things like the fortress name without dfhack?
If so, we could call the army the Grand Chicken Army, Just thinking abt this

I wonder what will happen to the fortress in the future, I'm interested to see

Edit: Like the First Chicken Army or somthing

Edit 2: For some reason in the legends file, it saved all the pets in the fortress and their familes, kinda interesting
for example there has been dogs in the fortress for 4 dog generations in-game. It only saves the mothers tho.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 07:12:37 pm by Chicken »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2023, 04:06:46 pm »

I'm not sure, I dont think you can rename fortresses. most everything else you can. we could name the first squad something grandiose and chicken-related

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2023, 05:26:19 pm »

I shall name our military after the mightiest poultry.

In the meantime, I know my project, I've done one year, and I think someone was either born, or I accepted a petition by mistake. There was a bit of chaos.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2023, 05:55:15 am »

Its kinda strange but like i said in the post above, the pets (even unnamed ones) and their families are showing up in the legends file.
They only show up in the legends browser software, not in df legends mode
 A pet dyansty has already started, it will take a while for the dwarf one tho.
Another queston can people make engravings with text, bc if we could, we could make a record/history room maybe?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 07:43:10 am by Chicken »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dyansties succession fortress 50.09 classic
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2023, 08:26:45 am »

No, no text, but engravings do feature historical events, and you can commission statues of historical events. I'll make some for one of my projects.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dyansties succession fortress 50.09 classic
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2023, 01:07:30 pm »

technically in ASCII it was possible to engrave words by using creatures as letters. So you could create a series of custom engravings of a cat, an otter, and a walrus, to spell "coW" or whatever you wanted. I never really used this but it was always in the back of my mind that someone could, like, write shakespeare or whatever in engravings if they really wanted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7