Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Abbey of Blossoming - Lightly Modded Story  (Read 7734 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abbey of Blossoming - Lightly Modded Story
« on: May 24, 2023, 10:30:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter One

Welcome to my new story using the Steam Version of Dwarf Fortress.  Version 50.08.

Of course, it is modded.  The biggest mod is Primal 50.07.  But I also have Caboose's Cambrian Arthropods 1.02, Dwarven tea Party 1.0, More Food Names 3.0, and Pump Helmet Men Revolution 1.1 to help give it a intertesting twist.

I will be writing it from a first-person point of view.  In other words I will dorf a dwarf and write the chapters from their perdpective.  So not all knowing and not really involoved with what was happening behind the scenes.  Just a everyday worker.  Working 9 to 5.  So enjoy!

Oh, if you want to be dorfed just ask.

================================================================

Dear Diary,

Well, we've done it.  We've finnally arrived at the new home for us all.  Which we have named the Abbey of Blossoming.  As we have selected what seems like a jungle to live in we will likely see a lot of things blossoming.  There are plenty of plants and trees.  Right off the bat I noticed a coffee tree sapling.  Lots of food and drinks available if we are careful about which trees we cut down.

The Tongs of Pinches sent us, the Life of Teaching, to colonize this place.  And we plan to do so.

The Expedition Leader is named Amost Rigothrash.  I am not really sure what skills she has as a leader.  She is musical and cheerful but also humorless.  Kind of a weird mixture.  I did hear her once say, "It's not a gift if you expect something in return."  I hear she is a adequate apprasier so she may handle the trading side of things.

There is Ral Idenustuth, a Miner, who is also cheerful but also overbearing and values nature.  She makes me think of a elf.  I know, that's insulting. Maybe just a bad first impression?  I heard her say, "One should always respect the law."  So maybe I just need to learn more about her?

My fellow Woodworker is named Sigun Godenamnkin and is curious and dutiful but disdains peace and that kind of worries me.  As we will likely be working together a lot and may, if I understand how the settlement will be built, share quarters.  On arrival she just said "Everything's good."  So maybe she, like me, sees the forest as a good starting point?

Meng Kanzudastesh is the Mason who is toletant and seeks harmony but recovers slowly.  Not sure how good a Mason she will be.  She said, "I don't feel like I need to chase anything."  I assume she will not be helping with the animals.

There is also a Peasant named Deler Dodokshetbeth.  Strong yet avoids fights.  Nor is she greedy.  Once again, not too sure about her.  Once heard her say, "Why must they be so violent?"

Then there is Oddom Urvadrigoth the Farmer who is not wastful, is cheerful, and focused.  To be honest she seems to be the most solid of my fellow travelers.  I overheard her say to somebody else, "It's best to slow down and just relax."

And as I always say, "I'm doing well."   And I was when we arrived.

Of course you may have noticed we are all females.  I hope we get some males soon.  How will our settlement grow if some of us don't find mates?

As for the equipment we had the normal amnount of seeds, weapons, and so on.  I noticed a lot of hammers.  Many of the others had some skill with hammers.  As I do.

The animals were, on the other hand, more interesting as they were carefully selected.

Two male Utahraptors trained for war with two adult females to breed with.  Two male and two female Plump Helmet Man.  Or is it men?

Two sows and two boars.  Two nanny goats and two billy goats.  And of course, two roosters and two hens.

The draft animals were also somewhat interesting.  We have a male horse and a wooly mammoth, male.  Who, I have been told, can be trained to be a war animal!

The nearby creek...river....whatever does have some fish and there are lots of repiles and amphibians also in the water.  Fishing should be good.  As long as the amphibians don't attack us.

Likely fruit from the trees, berries from bushes, and fish from the river will be our main source of food before our first harvest.  Besides what we have brought with us.  So farming plots will need to be dug out, trees picked for chopping down, and bushes and trees selected to be gathered from. 

The plan, if I understand it right, is to make a above ground town shaped like a spiral.

And I have been ordered to design it.

Wish me well,

'Callisto'
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 06:46:44 am by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey of Blossoming - Lightly Modded Story
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 04:06:49 am »

I see that you've already got the new fort in the works, makes me wonder if this world will be as violent and hostile as the World of Bones.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 06:47:46 am »

I see that you've already got the new fort in the works, makes me wonder if this world will be as violent and hostile as the World of Bones.

Well, there are dinosaurs running around.  But outside of the mods I added I left the rest of the game vanilla.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 07:31:56 am by callisto8413 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 03:55:22 am »

Well, there are dinosaurs running around.  But outside of the mods I added I left the rest of the game vanilla.
Sounds like we'll be seeing a new situation in this world, bet it'll be interesting especially with dinosaurs since I've never played around with that mod.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 06:29:35 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter Two

Dear Diary,

Of course while me and Sigun chopped down trees the rest gathered plants and Ral dug out the underground farming chambers, the seed room, and three pens.  One for the pigs, one for the chickens, and one for the Pump Helmet Men.

The other animals were given a pasture a little way from the building site.  And yes, the first structure was to house the carpenter's workshop and a small wood stockpile.  Next door a building was attached to the first, on the southern wall, which would house a kitchen and a still.  And attached to IT was an enclosed above ground garden.

A table and chair were placed in the southern buidling so Amost, the Expedition Leader, who was also now the Broker, Manager, and Bookkeeper, could have a office.

The Trade Depot was built to the east of the buildings.  Which would be the center of the colony.

The second floor was to be bedrooms.  One, which was completed in mid spring, was for the Woodworkers.  Yes, we have to share.  The other will like be shared by the Farmer and the Peasant.  Though, to be honest, everybody seems to be helping with the farming plots.

They won't be private, people will be walking through the bedrooms all the time, but they keep the bugs out and give us some shade.

As we don't have a glass industry yet I decided to use floor gates as the ceiling to the indoor garden to allow sunlight and rain into the garden plots while protecting it from wild animals such as birds.  We don't have glass but, to be honest, we don't NEED a greenhouse.  The seeds were collected from the forest itself.  So they don't need any special care.  Just protection from the wildlife.

And the others are already working on a third floor to be a storage area.

By the end of spring a rough outline of a barn had also been started.  Of course, a second floor will house storage and more workshops.  And we will build more buildings to the east.  I will slowly design a outwards spiralling series of buildings.  Of course, the pools of water will have to be covered.  Maybe turned into wells?

The building will likely be many floors tall in most cases and I will have to design drawbridges that lift up, becoming walls, with covered bridges above with bolt slits.  We will see.  It is likely most of the buildings will be only accessed from other buildings. 

The Miner had dug two probing starways looking for stone but has only found damp ground and had to stop.  We may have to import stone if we need it.  At least we have enough food and drink for now.  We won't starve.

Wish me well,

'Callisto'
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 08:18:06 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 07:10:21 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter Three

Dear Diary,

We have a slight mystery.  As I finished my last entry I noticed, near the Trade Depot, a pool of blood.  It has been identified as the blood of a Koolasuchus.

I know this because there were witnesses who saw it enter the outpost.  Maybe it was trying to get at one of the livestock?

What happened was one of the Utahraptors got it.  I assume one of the males as they are trained for war and conflict.   In fact one of them has blood on its tail.  It has now been nicknamed 'Kool'.

But the mystery is I can't find the body.  It isn't in a corpse dump.  Or any of the other places were garbage or refure is placed.

And we don't have a Buther's workshop.  So where did the body go?  Did another animal come and grab it?  Surely they would have been noticed and also attacked?  How does a three meter long body go missing?

Then I noticed all of our raptors have Koolasuchus blood on them.  In fact the other male was COVERED with Koolasuchus blood.  Maybe the raptors ate it?

Either way the name was given to the other male and the first male is once again nameless.

Also, with the threat of something truly dangerous out there it has been decided my two next projects will be barracks and a hospital.

Also it has been suggested I work on a tavern and finish the bedrooms.  Summer may bring more heat.  Also autumn and winter may bring rains.  So having a dry bed to sleep in and a good tavern to socialize in would help keep everybody's spirits high.

Also, by then, there might be more food and drink that needs a tavern to be stored in.  I already have a name for it in mind.  I was thinking something like the Sword & Maid.  Maybe a tad too traditional.  But it sounds good to me.

I do use also a lot, don't I?

Of course the Miner, Ral, had been told to continue searching for stone.

A section of the nearby waterway has been picked out for a good place to fish.  How the Leader judged that I have no idea.  Isn't the waters around here dangerous?

Wish me well,

'Callisto'
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 11:00:45 am by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 06:51:37 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter Four

Dear Diary,

As we worked on the buildings, and finished the second bedroom, there was another animal attacked by the raptors in the middle of Hematite.  The others called it a Carnotaurus.

It seems to be a carnivore with a pair of horns on its head.  Carnivore or not it wasn't doing too well against the raptors.  They are slicing and dicing the thing.  It won't last long.  From what I learned later it looks like it made a run for it.  Because there was blood but no body.

It was decided to dig out a storage area under the barn.  Mostly because it was feared the Miner would grow bored and upset by a lack of work.

Then, on the 20th of Malachite, while we were still working on roofs and workshops and storage and trying to figure out where to put the bedrooms and having not even started on the hospital or barracks or tavern we get told that migrants have arrived.

Oh boy.  They are not going to like this place.

Coming from the south was first Id Lashedfeasts, a Stonecrafter, who was the creator of 'A Record of the Composition'.  At least, that's what she said.

She brought with her two children.  Her only son Ingish and her only daughter Nish.  I hope they don't get eaten.

The next to follow them was a Cattenm Caughtclasp.  He is going to love it here.  He's a Miner.

Funny enough there was another Miner named Ducim Helmedknowing.   Who was rude and, according rumors, has two lovers.  Or had.  Wonderful.

After him came Etur Cryptrules.  An Engraver.  Who will also love it here.  Not.

We still havn't found any stone at the time of their arrival.  So they are going to have to do other jobs.

They also brought a stray Edmontosaurus calf.  I will have to ask somebody else what that even is.

Oh, by late summer we decided to eat the horse.

And the bridge across the stream...river...whatever has been finished.  The northeast region was picked for gathering.  Not that anybody has done any gathering that I noticed.  Even after they made me make more stepladders.  Not bitter.  Likely gathering will happen during autumn?

Also Deler Clasptwinkles had become a Herbalist.  Maybe due to working outside more than anything else?

Also the Leader ordered all the Plump Helmet Men butchered.  Something about they broke the door to their pen?  Weird.  Almost like they were trying to escape.  Or overthrow us.  Oh well.

I am using also a lot again.

Anyway, the door will be replaced and nest boxes will be placed in the pen.  The raptors will be moved there.  The chickens will also get nest boxes.

Soon we will have more animals and eggs!

Autumn had come.   And...well...not much got done.  The walls and floors of the tavern has been started.

And the barn now has a basement and a upper floor.  Though the upper floor is still without a roof.  Still, we now have a Farmer's workshop, a Butcher's shop, a Craftmen's shop, a Tanner's shop, and a Fishery.

The building in which I sleep has also a third floor now full of stuff.  Still needs a roof.  And the flies are becoming a bother.

Still, the drink supply has held up somewhat.  If the inventory is correct we have about 14 units of Dwarven ale, 7 units of Dwarven beer, 15 units of Dwarven rum, 5 units of Fisher berry wine, 3 units of River spirits, and 105 units of Dwarven wine.

And the food has increased.  We have 5 Utahraptor eggs sliders...oops...1 rice beer slider...how do you even make that?  4 prepared horse kidney rolls, 4 units of prepared horse lung preserves, 13 cave lobster cakes, 17 goat's milk cakes, 13 plump helmet men tissue cakes...ewww.  3 prepared horse spleen platters, 5 chopped horse liver dumplings, and 16 goat cheese dumplings.

We all have different tastes.  A few things did go rotten before we could cook them or put them in storage.  Maybe I need to make another kitchen and still?

I noticed my roommate, Sigun, likes the goat cheese cakes.  Well, at least she was eating one.  Though she is getting pissed off at the lack of chairs.  I assume this is a hint I need to hurry up with the tavern.  In fact more than one person has loudly complained about the lack of chairs.

Also the Miner...well, now Miners, have yet to find a stone level.  When they go too deep all they find is wet soil and stop.  Drowning underground is a silly way to die.

And I continue making lots and lots of barrels.

Wish me well,

'Callisto'
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:41:14 pm by callisto8413 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 08:18:49 pm »

The Abbey grows. I find the dinosaur sprites to be extremely disturbing, in their own special way. As if a child's nightmare was brought to life and now stalks the woods, hunting for blood.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 03:57:48 am »

They are strange looking little critters aren't they.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 03:01:41 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter Five

Dear Diary,

Autumn came and I worried that our tavern, barracks, and hospital would not be finished before winter.  And of course we needed more bedrooms.

Now that we numbered 13 we would need more then 7 bedrooms.

It was the 13th of Limestone when the liaoson arrived.  Rimtar Bisekurist from Olin Nonub had came.  She, of course, came to have a meeting with the Leader.

The Leader asked for stone to be delivered next time.  The liaoson asked for the export of crutches and tanned hides.

And a Merchant arrived with a Axedwarf and a water buffalo bull loaded with stuff to trade.

So of course we tried to find something to trade.  We didn't really have anything of value.  Though we did have a few wood crafts laying here and there which we took to the Depot.  Maybe we could get some drinks or bags or something of use?

We ended up getting leather.  We also got some stones.  Or at least clay stuff.  We hope to make a Quern?  Maybe?

Nope.  The stuff we bought is useless for being real stone.  Damn traders.   

Oh, and the pigs has piglets and the nanny goats gave birth also.

Oh uh.  The Stonecrafter was attacked by a honey badger.  The Leader ordered a few to grab some hammers, pick a squad, and go kill.

One of which was me!  I am now a soldier in the Clearings of Brass.  So off we went to kill a badger.

And we killed it.  Seems I landed the killing blow with a hammer.  Then we all went back to our work.  Oh...I think I dropped the hammer.  I really need to finish that barracks.

On the 16th of Sandstone we found the corpse of the Stonecrafter.  I guess she was really hurt by the badger.  Damn.  Now we have her two kids to care for.  Caskets need to be made.

And more migrants arrived.  I'll never make enough bedrooms at this rate.

The first to appear was Mistem Tradedbeards.  A female Woodcutter.     Who disdains craftwork and commerce.  And as a female has no beard.  Weird.

Then there was Meng Mergedboards.  A Gelder.  Tough but a little single-minded.  Fearless but also disdained knowledge.  Maybe make him part of the squad?

There there was somebody useful.  A Doctor named ushrir Amazecudgel.  Which, I am not going to lie, is a cool name.  Of course the Leader made him the Chief Medical Dwarf.  Now I just have to finish the hospital.

Then there was Deduk Grandpages, a BeeKeeper.  Which was great because we already have two hives full of bees. 

And a woolly mammoth calf.  Female.  So breeding pair once she is an adult?  We can have herds of war mammoths!  Oh...and a baby alpaca. 

There was a report, also, of a tiny dinosaur, called a Juravenator, being a little terror.  So the squad went and chased it.  It turned out it could climb trees...so..chasing is the word.  After a few, what seemed like days, we gave up.

I think I might have to dump some more settlers into the old bedrooms while the colonists build the new ones.  I don't want the kids running around without some kind of shelter.  And there is lots of room.  We just have to get along.  Right?

Oh, and the tavern is finished.  But the name is the Sword-Woman.  For some reason we don't have a symbol for maid in our language. 

And the Beekeeper was given the honor of being the Tavern Keeper. 

By late autumn many are happy to eat in the 'dining room'.  The tavern.  Much to my happiness.

Oh, and the dead Stonecrafter was finally buried.  No ghosts for us!

Also everybody but one settler has a bedroom.  Some have to share.  And others...well...you'll see when I show you the blueprints.

Oh, and we received a visitor near the end of autumn also.  A ground ape.  I mean human.  A pikeman named Ormoil Trampledstockades. 

Seemed well armed but we are not sure why she is here.

Oh.  She want straight to the tavern.  I can't hide my pride.  Oh wait.  Seems she knows the Doctor?

Then winter.  Oh, yeah, let me show you the changes.

First, I allowed more beds into the exisiting bedrooms.

Also made four tiny bedrooms, finished the tavern, and started on the hospital.  And the visitor started telling a story when I last checked.  Also we brought our own stone mugs.  Maybe we should have brought some STONE!

Started on the second floor.  Four more bedrooms and a barracks will be up there.  Those in the north facing bedrooms can peek into the outside.  Kind of...

And I started digging out...well..tiny tombs.

I think while I continue on my current projects I might make a temple, a small one, to the east.  I hear a few people would like to...well..pray.

Still, our first death and two children without a mother.  Winter, snow or no, will likely be a tad depressing.

Wish me well,

'Callisto'
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 11:03:07 am by callisto8413 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 04:04:39 pm »

One of which was me!  I am now a soldier in the Clearings of Brass.  So off we went to kill a badger.

And we killed it.  Seems I landed the killing blow with a hammer.  Then we all went back to our work.  Oh...I think I dropped the hammer.  I really need to finish that barracks.

RIP badgers

nice little abbey, with an enclosed pond even!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 10:45:36 am »

Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter Six

Dear Diary,

Winter has come.  Funny, I don't think it is any cooler.  Hmmm.

On the 6th of Moonstone we have a visitor.  A Olm Woman Merchant.

It seems she went straight to the tavern.  Once again I feel some pride at that.

She started chitchatting with the human warrior. They are having a 'intellectual discussion'

And it seems the newcomer knows Sigun the Woodworker.  My roommate.  Interesting.  I guess the Olm folk make friends quickly.

By the 7th she was telling a story to the human Pikeperson.

We have a lot of Dwarven wine.  More than any other drink.  I don't mind it.  I drink it myself.  But we should try to get a little more variety.

Also seems the Olm woman spread some rumor or news.  But I don't know what it is.  Oh well.  Wish we had some kind of system to record news or rumors.  Oh well....

On the 26th of Moonstone, while gathering plants, fruits, and berried to the north of the outpost in the area we picked for large scale gathering we ran into a pissed off Triceeratops.  As got into a fight.  The Squad was told to go arm itself and THEN start a fight with the dinosaur.

But it killed Ral Idenustuth the Hammerdwarf!  This is horrible!  It charged her and took her head clean off!

We were told to withdraw! 

Then we had a Bard show up.  Dwarf male named Alath Stockadewood.  Pretty young for a Bard.  Only 26 years old.  Wonder how many stories he knows?  Course he went straight towards the Tavern.

The human Pikeperson left but the Olm woman is listening to the Bard tell tall tales.

On the 24th of Opal, mid winter, the Olm woman had left and the Bard was in the tavern all by himself.  Alone.  Socializing.  Once again, may I point out, to an emtpy tavern.

By late winter a female Bard showed up named Lor Goldenpracticed.

By late winter a female Bard showed up named Kib Appearedgalleys.

We now have more Bards in the tavern than citizens.  Talking, mostly, to each other.

Spring has come and the chickens had a bunch of chicks hatch!  I am starting to wonder if the raptors are asexual or don't like nest boxes.

And the Abbey has grown.  We have the barracks almost finished.  We're still missing most of the roof.

Still there is enough to start training.  But the Leader was having issues with the paperwork.  No matter what he did almost everybody went to training.  Which is NOT what he wanted.  In the end he just ended up removing most of the citizens from the squad.  Sadly I am still one of the soldiers.

We also now have four empty, unneeded, bedrooms.  I guess I miscounted.  And the Hospital is ALMOST finished.  Just needs beds, a well, and other items.  Without stone we can't make a well yet.

The drinks seemed to have expanded in their selection.  We have 10 units of rice beer, 5 units of dwarven ale, 3 units of dwarven rum, 5 units of prickle berry wine, 5 units of sewer brew, 13 units of caeambola wine, 175 of dwarven wine, and 4 of arabica cherry wine.

I have been told if we can get some stone we can make...coffee...or something like that.

Some of the food has gone bad because we still don't have enough barrels or room to store them.  On the other hand arabica cherry wine pie sounds good.  Not too sure about taro pierogi or finger lime pastry on the other hand.

I seem to have so many jobs now!  We need more workers.  But then I will have to work harder to design and build more bedrooms! 

Wish me well,

'Callisto'
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:43:52 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 08:23:50 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter Seven

Dear Diary,

I have decided to write a little about the citizens of the outpost.  How they are handling their new life, their relationships, and so on.

First the Founders.  The first seven.  Well, now six with the death of Ral by the horned dinosaur.

The Expedition Leader, Amost Craftsdied, is wearing many hats.  She is the Manager, Broker, and Bookkeeper.  And seems to be handling pretty well.

Though she is worried about her clothing.  Seems she prefers fancy, rich, clothing.  Well, not really something available in the outpost as of yet.

Yet her circle of friends, or even psdding acquaintances, are pretty small.  I don't think she talks to the new imgrants unless it is business related.

Then there is my roommate, Sigun Ropeglad, who is also one of my fellow soldiers.

She is neither happy or sad.  She is fighting the stress but isn't winning against. Nor is it winning against her.  She is becoming bored and lonely.

Like the Leader her circle of friends is small.

Then there is Meng Kanzudastesh, the Mason, who isn't very happy.  She is uneasy, lonely, and seems to be unhappy with the lastest Bards and their performances.  Like the other Founders her circle of friends is small.

Then there is Oddom Urvadrigoth, the Planters, who also seems to enjoy fishing.  Which seems to be helping her as she seems...happy.

But even she is lonely and, once again, her circle of friends seem to be limited to the Founders.

Then there is Deler Dodoksherbeth, who is now the Milita Commander, who seems to have embraced the frontier life. 

But like everybody else she misses family and feels uneasy.  She wants to pray also.  She is handling the stress.  But she could go either way.  Happy or unset depending if it rains or is sunny tomorrow.

Then there is me.  To be honest I'm not very happy.  Being wounded by the damn horned dinosaur didn't help.

My friends are limited to the Founders.  Minus Ral.  I really NEED to make a Temple for general prayer and religious outlet.

Then there was the First Wave of Migrants.

Sadly, of course, one of them was killed by a honey badger.  And she left two children behind.

One was her daughter Nish Inkysinks.  Who is not doing well.  She is upset and has nightmares of her mother's death.

She tries to stay busy but I don't think it is working.  On the other hand she has her brother, one of the migrants was her half-brother, and one of the visiting Bards turned out to be her AUNT!

Still, for a two year old she is doing okay.

Her brother, Ingish Bookgazes, is not doing well at all.  He yells, he cries, and he tries to lose himself in work and food.  But is at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to happiness.  In other words he isn't happy at all.

I hope he can recover.  He has a slightly larger circle of friends and acquaintances so that MIGHT help him in the long run?

Then there is Catten Caughtclasp.  The Miner.  Somewhat young, at only 26 years old.  He is neither happy nor angry.  Kind of just trying to survive.

So far he has only made one friend after arriving so I am kind of worried about that.  Also he seems to have a LONG list of Deities he worships.  Another reason to get a Non-Deity Temple up.

Then there is Ducim Helmedknowing, another Miner, who seems to be chilling.  Maybe because if the two lovers?  Seems to be stable guy and enjoys cooking and brewering and everything.

He is one of the citizens I am not worried about.

Then there is Etur Cryptrules, the Engraver, who is doing everything but engraving.  He is, like many others, neither very happy nor very sad.

Funny enough he didn't seem impressed with the Bards either.  Maybe we are getting badly trained Bards?

The Second Wave, while smaller, at least hasn't had anybody die yet. 

First off is Mistem Tradedbeards, a Woodcutter, who is married to Meng.  Meng, is the older half-brother to the two children. 

Funny enough she does not talk to the kids and mostly seems upset at the lack of a Temple.  On the other hand she seems to visit the Tavern a lot.

Her husband is a Recuit but dabbles in a few other things.  Such as cooking and planting.  But like his wife really needs to pray to Cor. 

He does talk to the kids and seems to be stable.  Neither sad or happy.  Just doing his best to keep himself, his family, and the Outpost in one piece.

Then there is ushrir Amazecudgel, who was a Doctor before becoming Chief Medical Dwarf.  And like a few of the citizens, he is neither happy nor sad.  He just is.

He has a Spouse, two lovers, and a pet woolly mammoth calf.   The wife showed up in the Second Wave with him, the Beekeeper who became the Tavern Keeper.  I assume she is one of the lovers.  The other one isn't here.

Then there was Deduk Grandpages, the Tavern Keeper, who like the others wishes to pray to her many Dieties. 

Sadly, like many of the Second Wave, she has only a few citizens among her circle of friends.  But at least her Spouse was there.

So those are the people I have to deal with.  I guess a Temple is next once I finish the hospital and barracks.

Wish me well,

'Callisto'
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:30:56 pm by callisto8413 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 02:09:58 am »

Dang that's a lot of people needing to prey, looks like the entire fort will be in that temple as soon as it's built.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 08:39:13 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter Eight

Dear Diary,

Spring has sprung as the apes say.  My plans, right now, is to finish the barracks and the hospital.   And start on a general Temple for worship and meditation.  I have already started making a rough outline on where the walls will go.

There are some rocks in the way.  May have them smoothed down and even engraved.  Might make some of the citizens happy to see some artwork in the doorframe of the building?

Somebody peeked into the raptors' pen and noticed the females have claimed the nest boxes.  They have eggs!  And door has been barred so they should hatch and give us raptor chicks to train to become more war raptors.

Also we need more nest boxes for the chickens.

Went to the hospital.  It isn't totally finished but the Doctor was able to see me and work on me.

More piglets were born also.

Darn it.  I was delivering some wood and got attacked by a honey badger!  Right in the outpost.  The squad was called out to deal with it.

It was killed.  But now I am starting think the damn things are more dangerous than the dinosaurs.

This is awkward.  In mid spring I got trapped up a tree and only got down when Amost Craftsdied came over with a ladder to gather some fruit.   The shame to be helped by the Leader just to get out of the tree.

I went straight to the tavern and ate a orange I had picked fresh from the tree I have been trapped in.

Noticed only one Bard.  Alath Kikrostlolum who is still socializing with many of the citizens in the tavern and telling stories.

Not much work is getting done between the animals attacks, the need to drink and grow food, and the crutch carving.  Nobody even started on the temple yet!  So the Leader ordered the crutch order cancelled for now.  Or at least halted.

Oh, we seem to have tea now.  And I have been told we also have coffee bean cowder.  I think I'll stick to fresh fruit and wine.

On the 29th of Slate a human Bard named Thep Ishanik arrived.  I assume he wanted to visit my...er...our tavern.

When I saw him my first thought was he looked more like a wise man or a hermit.  He was thin and has long hair which was grey mixed with white.  Very tanned.  He was wearing a tunic, a skirt and had a blowpipe.  Not a weapon.  A wind instrument made up of four pipes and a wind chest.  Maybe he will play it for us?

Well, he started story telling when he came to the tavern.  Maybe there will be music later.

After that a Dwarf Merchant, called Olon Matchmine, showed up.  And went to the tavern to listen to the story.

Seems the only people enjoying the tavern are visitors.  Hmmm.

Mid spring is almost over and we have migrants.  Goodie.  This time they came from the west and not the south. 

The first is Feb Tubesroads.  A woodcrafter.  Not bad.  But weak. 

The next migrant was his spouse, Kel Trusshatchets, who was a Craftsdwarf.  A brawler and disdained law.  A mixed bag, eh?

Then there was onul Stockadeway who was a Peasant.  Clumsy, poor focus, and bad witrh words.  Valued peace.  Not really soldier material. 

At least I have enough bedrooms already.  Oh no....this means I have to make more bedrooms!  Oh well.

I made sure the married couple got two bedrooms.  You never know if there will be a falling out.  It is an outpost.  The frontier.  The GREAT UNKNOWN!  Marriages may not last the stress.  Or somebody may die.

But now we are 18 citizens.

Turn out the visiting Merchant likes to recite poetry and is pretty good at it.  The new migrants, on their way to checking out their bedrooms, ended up hearing some of it and being impressed.  Nothing like a good first impression.

Another human Bard has shown up.  A female named Sesta Colorchurch.  She seems to have a type of a string instrument.  Forty-six strings.  She went straight to the tavern.

And it turns out Sesta was so impressed that she wishes to reside in the outpost.  To be a enterainer.  And we do have one bedroom empty.

The Leader took it a sign of good luck and approved her Petition.  She will now live with us and now even has her own bedroom.  19 citizens now.

On the 23rd of Felsite the raptor eggs hatched.  Training should start soon once we pick a spot for ...well...training.  And they are old enough.

And another dwarf female Bard, named ingiz Racework, has shown up.  She also carried a wind instrument.  She went right to the tavern, of course, and seemed impressed by the tables.  Must not get out much.

She must have been very impressed as she gave the Leader a petition to stay and entertain the people.  The Leader turned her down.  We already have a entertainer and no bedrooms. 

Summer has come.  At least the barracks is half roofed and the hospital has beds and tables.  But the temple is still being worked on.  The second room will likely end up having bedrooms.

Also any exposed rock surface near the buildings has been smoothed out and emgraved.  Making tiny pieces of artwork for the citizens as they walk around outside.  Maybe not as good as statues but they get the job done and won't block traffic.

In summer I will have to finish the temple and will likely have to start working on a road.  Likely a dirt road.  Maybe start on a library or a museum or whatever.  We need to enjoy life and not just survive.

Wish me well,

'Callisto'
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:27:56 pm by callisto8413 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6