- 0 (0%)
Titans
- 0 (0%)
Vault Guardians
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 04, 2022, 09:24:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The End of Dwarfdom  (Read 36422 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The End of Dwarfdom
« Reply #315 on: April 03, 2024, 02:14:29 am »

Feels like this might be one of the longest running battles I've heard about in a DF game.

I should check out Gateheaven as I'm running low on forts that are still running to read.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 08, 2024, 05:13:53 am »

Tumam rested through the rest of the afternoon into the late evening. His injuries were mostly healed although they would surely scar including a wicked one across his throat. His new strategy was to wait for most of the defenders to be asleep. By the time they awoke he should be able to turn the tide in his favor.

His band of surviving zombies were small, but conveniently they were mostly the veteran heroes from the last stand of the Silver of Staves so each one had a very powerful body.
They crept into the fort as stealthily as possible. The defenders had only had a few hours to try and ready themselves while most tried to rest.

They had no time to repair the gates or clear out the dead bodies. Who could blame them? What army could return in mere hours restored and tireless to begin the killing again?

Tumam quietly flew above and ahead of his forces as they swarmed over the few night guards. It was critical that Tumam get inside the main building quickly before the sounds of battle woke up his sleeping foes. This was delicate as that meant he had to enter the building alone and vulnerable.
He floated in with his feet not even touching the floor and saw the many sleeping figures scattered across the large hall. Safety in numbers was surely their thinking when it came to sleeping in one giant room like this.

Tumam pulled out his morningstar and set to his dark work.

As quietly and surgically as possible for a Morningstar he set to work killing those who slept. This was neither a quiet nor surgical weapon and so loud cracking or squelching could be heard after each blow and the sounds of combat outside were growing closer. Tumam had to put off raising the dead for as long as possible for the moment zombies began fighting inside here everyone would surely waken and so he continued to kill people alone. One after another died.

Finally, a dwarf sentry fell back from the outside into the main hall with a zombie on top of him trying to tear him apart. The sounds of the other zombies roaring and screaming outside was now completely unmuted and the hall erupted with shouting as the living jumped up and readied for battle.
They looked around to find many of their company dead in their sleep and the terrifying White Stork, the very deity known as the Spry, floating above dead comrades. Tumam mercilessly glared at them as he lifted one hand and every dead body in the room rose to kill for him.

The odds had shifted moderately in Tumam's favor now as the defenders had enemies attacking from all sides and had lost a fair number of fighters.
Tumam was also now the most vulnerable he had been and the enemy knew that killing him was there only chance of surviving past this night.

Tumam began bashing away at one small group of defenders as his horde set upon most of the rest. He swung, dodged and blocked. He did his best to only hit critical areas such as the head in order to preserve the bodies for the next battle. This made it harder as enemies dodged or blocked him, but even one swing to the chest could leave them partially mangled and thus unusable.

Meanwhile a human high executioner with blade in hand and hood upon his head cut through the horde heading towards Tumam accompanied by an elven artist and goblin warrior. This trio brought bloody ruin upon the horde, but could not easily break through to Tumam.

The White Stork man saw the fearsome group, but also saw beyond them that the bandit chiefess had been knocked unconscious and was being protected by her vassals. Tumam skirted around the warriors, who were unable to disengage to pursue him, and the white stork man neared the other group.

As he approached he resurrected one corpse in particular: The famous moon woman Skullash the Dead twilight!
As Tumam flicked his finger the night creature rose with its bloodlust intensified in undeath.

The trophy Kanil had brought back to his leader all those years ago to prove his worth was now their very undoing!
Using this distraction Tumam floated above the unconscious chiefess and killed her. Without their leader the defenders fell into even greater confusion and chaos!
Tumam then set to work killing her cohorts as well as the terrifying trio began to finish the zombies they fought and work towards him again.

Skullash should have attacked them for him, but even as a mindless zombie the creature was impossibly murderous. It attacked Tumam and he was forced into a duel with his own creation!
It's superhuman speed was amplified in death as the two dodged each other's blows again and again. They moved at lightning speeds and despite the shortness of time the two had already swung at each other many times before Tumam's blow hit her in the chest and the mutilated corpse was thrown aside newly killed again.

Tumam's other zombies had worn the trio down now and he approached them to fight himself.
Blades met morningstar and one cut a gash into Tumam's wing preventing an easy escape if things went wrong, but the three had already been worn down! They were covered in scratches, bruises and sweat.

Despite best efforts they each fell as wraiths, zombies invigorated by sufficient killing, fought them. Tumam slew the elf himself. A martial artist wraith-goblin delivered a kick to the high executioner and crushing his neck completely.

The goblin was punched in the head by a wraith with such force that it rendered him unconscious despite wearing a helmet. The horde descended upon him.

The battle continued well on into the gruesome night, but the living were unable to sally enough force to break through to Tumam.

As the battle ended Tumam raised his new army - Kanil Inchwhip's tribe and family

They did not tarry there either, but the force immediately marched to the last stronghold of dwarfkind in the world: Whisperletter

OOC:
We now have many wraiths, as I call them, the named undead seem to fight substantially better and so I really do think they become better fighters overtime like living counterparts do.
One battle left!
Also someone had an artifact crossbow, but they got it kicked out of their hands as the fight started so they never accomplished anything with it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 05:19:35 am by Maloy »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2024, 04:31:52 am »

The campaign against the dwarves seems to be going quite well, who you going after once you finish with the dwarves?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 18, 2024, 01:32:07 pm »

We'll get the updates out relatively soon :)

Tumam's war totaled around 1800+ casualties. Which is a phenomenal scale for adventure mode.

I have encountered a problem I want to gather some thoughts on though...

As you can see we've actually achieved equilibrium in species rather than purging one. Problem here is though that goblins and dwarves have a couple hundred survivors each yet almost none of these survivors are present on the map in its different sites.

Is this the population glitch? If so, how do I fix it?

I'm inclined to think it isn't though. Here's why:
When you are in adventure mode near an enemy civ it sends out generated patrols to try and kill you. Also despite wiping out the sites new dwarves emerged to take over old noble positions. These dwarves are historical figures, but had no locations they lived in before they took those new positions.

I surmise that the game keeps a population of off-screen people for use in invasions, patrols, taking over positions, etc. If I continue to farm kills from nobility and hang out around pits and hillocks until they send out patrols I think I may be able to whittle them down?
I've also contemplated unretiring every single dwarf still living and leading them on an invasion of hell lol. I could also see if it is possible to change raws to embark as humans and try to purge everyone that way, but that defeats the spirit of the challenge I gave myself.

Goblins: 234
Dwarves: 348

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 19, 2024, 01:33:13 am »

Dang that's gonna be hard to all those randos out in the world, can't think of what you could do besides search every site and look for all the blips on the map.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2024, 05:50:01 am »

Whisperletter was to be the location of the last stand of the dwarves. The fort was built originally by worshipers of the death god: The Spry, who was also Tumam. They fled persecution and later it would be inhabited by refugees with the war against the forces of hell. Then later by even more fleeing the war against Cor and her undead armies. Finally, it took on a large goblin population. Survivors of the Plagues of Forking and its most elite warriors came to this fort for employment. They found they preferred the anarchy of these tribe and bandit filled plains over orderly human or dwarf lands.

Once a dwarven lifetime ago the dwarves had waged war against the Plagues of Forking and drove that particular goblin kingdom into non-existence. Tumam's actions had also driven the dwarven kingdoms into non-existence. Both races were now kingdomless, but Tumam was not satisfied with merely destroying kingdoms. In this final battle the best of the dwarf and goblin kingdoms were lined together. Both had armor encrusted with the finest of gold and jewels. It is hard for a non-goblin to comprehend the thinking of the evil race or what might motivate them into a last stand like this, but one thing is for certain: Whisperletter would become the site of one of the greatest battles to be fought upon this planet.

When Tumam raised every corpse in the fort a pillar of necrotic energy rose into the air. His powers were nearly unleashed in their full and an unintended consequence came to pass.

As Tumam's horde approached Whisperletter within the very same night, intending to find a sleeping fortress like before, instead they found a pitched battle.

Every corpse in Whisperletter had already been resurrected and was now locked in fierce battle against the living. Among them was the zombified forgotten beast that Tumam had lost track of some weeks ago; Perhaps drawn there by the vast quantities of necrotic power in the area that also fed its own existence.

This was a mixed blessing. On one hand his forces were now massively amplified, but on the other his strategy was now entirely thrown out the window. The undead had awoken every single dwarf and goblin the fortress and they were now all fully engaged in combat. Tumam surveyed this all from the front gate and decided he didn't have time to mull over on what he should do. He looked to his horde behind him and then the one battling inside the fort's main hall and then he charged ahead into battle.

By the time he reached the battle half of the new undead force had already been slain and the forgotten beast that destroyed a city in life now lay slain again upon a small pile of dwarf corpses. This was no hold of farmers or gaggle of useless nobility! These were the greatest warriors left of goblin and dwarfkind, and they were proving that in the slaughtering of an entire horde within the minutes it took Tumam to reach them!

The necromancer understood the odds were now firmly against him, but he was now fully committed to the battle. He raised those who freshly died and were still in usable condition and charged the front door with his nearest zombies behind him.
The dwarves had created a wedge formation around the door. The moment one walked in they were surrounded on all sides. The defenders had also packed so tightly together that the moment a zombie entered the wedge formation they would find themselves attacked many times over within the span of a few seconds.

It was a kill zone of most devious creation, But Tumam's horde did not posses the intelligence to resist the call to battle and would charge regardless of his commands. This was his second severe miscalculation.
His third was with the number of dwarves and goblins. His horde was outnumbered now! Severely outnumbering the enemy was the only advantage the zombies had and they had lost it entirely.
All Tumam could do was keep swinging his weapon and pray, to himself he supposed, that the defenders would become exhausted enough to turn the tide upon.

He continued to raise the dead behind the wedge formation, but there weren't enough usable corpses to distract a meaningful number of defenders.

Again and again death was traded with the undead taking the majority of it, but now and again a defender was picked off or claimed by Tumam's morningstar.

A goblin spearwoman encased in gold encrusted armor danced along the line and slew zombie after zombie. It was only as she wandered too close that the horde tried to grab her. She pushed a living dwarf in front of her and dodged back as the zombies ripped the man apart! She laughed and continued her lethal dance.

In another area of the line an axedwarf passed out finally after killing 12 zombies! A goblin zombie that had just hours ago killed many zombies himself before succumbing now picked up a pair of copper chain leggings off the ground and beat the dwarf in the head over and over until it exploded into gore.
The goblin zombie turned wraith kept the leggings in hand as a blunt weapon and would kill several more defenders before dying again.

Pictured: Iron cap from earlier turned into an improvised weapon

There were no corpses left to reanimate behind the defenders and the zombies behind them had all been slain and rendered useless, but Tumam held out hope! The defenders were weakening and falling over in exhaustion.
His excitement was short lived as the defenders shifted attention to him. Within the space of a five seconds 30 attacks flew to Tumam! He had never swung his morningstar and shield so fast in his life. Parrying and blocking at speeds he did not know he could do, but unable to dodge due to the sheer mass of zombies behind him.
Unfortunately, blows did find their mark and his wing was cut open, his arm and head bashed upon. He was forced to drop his shield, and he knew in another five seconds he would be dead if he didn't do something.

It was a risk, but the white stork man decided to turn his back to the enemy and press with all his might through his own horde and escape back to the outside world. As he escaped he sucked in fresh air and tried to reorient himself.

The battle was not lost. The rest of his horde was still streaming in and the defenders would be worn down. As they did he would reanimate those and it would turn to his favor!

These are all things Tumam thought, but reality would deny him.
For behind him a great horn blew and as it did a great chorus of goblin and dwarf voices roared together. The defenders were charging and they would not permit Tumam to escape!

OOC:
One of the most common complaints about fortress mode military is how squads don't use tactics and just run straight at the target. Here was the most coincidental use of tactics in the most epic way.
In real life ancient military this kind of a wedge formation would actually be just as lethal as we are seeing here. It creates kill zones that funnel the enemy in and limit their movement while allowing the maximum amount of your own people to strike out.
I literally had zero dodge options, because the amount of zombies all around me crammed into that small space prevented the game from offering dodging as an option.

This is either gonna be a two part or three part battle. Like I said the scale was unbelievable! I've never had an adventure mode battle get this crazy and it took a solid minute for my computer to load even one action in this game, because of the sheer amount of stuff happening within one moment.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 24, 2024, 01:44:48 am »

The game works in some pretty cool stuff every now and then, and it seems Tumam's story might be coming to an end soon.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 01, 2024, 04:46:55 am »

It seemed difficult to imagine how the situation could become worse for Tumam until he heard his living opponents roar and begin to charge.

Despite having quite a few wraiths and zombies lodged into the doorway continuing to fight many dwarves bashed their way through and suddenly Tumam's forces were surrounded on all sides and he was now vulnerable to attack again. His only saving grace climbed up the slope from the north:

Nearly a quarter of his initial invading force had been side tracked chasing down a fleeing dwarf. Zombies aren't smart enough to perceive where the most lethal part to attack is so they were relentlessly beating the man this whole time until only just now killing him. These zombies attempted to join the rest of the horde and so now the dwarves who had broken through his forces were also surrounded themselves.

The white stork man was injured and couldn't hold a shield. He doubted he could fly either, but had no time to test it. He swung his morningstar endlessly and dodged constantly.

Swords, hammers, and axes rang throughout the night brutalizing his forces. The living died horribly as wraiths used improvised weapons or a dwarf who had been punched in the head for the 20th time finally had his skull cave in. The sheer bloody ruin that was many dwarves bodies was remarkable to see! How could these stout folk still fight so viciously when half of their face was torn off? Tumam continued to pick off enemies as he was able, but within short order the defenders had successfully routed and wiped out his horde in the doorway leaving only the ones that had just joined to aid Tumam remaining.

Now there plan was apparent: Recognizing that their own people were passing out from exhaustion, the defenders had decided to charge to push up the line of battle and protect the exhausted. Through the doorway Tumam could see many passed out dwarves and goblins resting from the battle.

Between that and being outnumbered the defenders had entirely countered his main advantages in combat.

Combat was so intense and so fast that Tumam also had no chance to escape. Any attempt to run or to see if he could fly would be ample time for several enemies to reach and grab him. All he could do was reanimate as many corpses as he could to keep the pressure on, but there were still over 100 defenders left living!

and then...Tumam was surrounded.
Before he knew it there were only a few zombies left and there were many dwarves between him and them. The mad goblin spearwoman still danced and laughed as she killed as many other legendary warriors continued around her. There were almost no usable corpses left.

Was it over? "No, no no no no. Not when I'm so close! Not here! Not now!" Cried Tumam
Tumam summoned the full capacity of his necrotic powers, now fully returned to him, and unleahsed a great pillar of the dark power upon the area.

Great power seized the mangled and broken corpses of the slain undead and it filled them like never before. They glowed with light and began to rise en masse. Some of the undead began laughing or screaming, a skill they never had before, and coated with new power they began to immediately destroy the defenders.

A dark mist filled the area cutting visibility to near zero. Fell Zombies

Now the tide turned. The horde had not only been restored, but even though their bodies were near useless they were filled with supernatural strength that overcame armor and mortal speed.

Tumam's final desperate gamble paid off in that Fell Zombies, Cold Hunters and other forms of sapient and super-powered undead kept the soul of the original inhabitant usually. Technically, if Tumam raised a dead defender as a fell zombie the newly formed undead would likely join the defenders and try to kill Tumam!
This is where the gamble came in: Most of the horde that was here as he arrived were actually his old army of skeletons from the dark pits. They had sat down there for generations. Over that time the attachment the souls had to those bodies disappeared entirely. There was no soul to reconnect to this army.

Instead, lacking an original soul, the spell attached the wraith identity as the new soul of the corpse. The new Fell Zombies remembered the defenders and having been killed by them, and so despite no longer needing to murder all living beings on sight, they still possessed intense hatred of those who had killed them.

OOC:
When someone dies you see their body and it says something like "Urist mcpoophead's corpse"
Many of these corpses had no name just "Goblin Skeleton" or something so I surmised that they didn't have an ID in the game anymore, or soul for an in-game use, that meant the game would use their zombie status from earlier for their new status as intelligent undead.
Basically still my zombie horde, but super powered now.

Two real life minutes passed between every tick of this battle if you're wondering why it took so long. Added to the fact that there were over 150 defenders at the start causing this to be my biggest battle on this world ever
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 04:50:57 am by Maloy »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 02, 2024, 04:06:56 am »

Dang that's a lot of bodies, pretty amazing that you managed to survive that whole ordeal.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]