Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Spookyfort IV: The Overlook - Overspookers welcome!  (Read 14067 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spookyfort IV: The Overlook - Overspookers welcome!
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2023, 08:07:22 pm »

Ah a dwarf after my own heart in terms of presentation.

I'm actually quite amused that the file I drew got mentioned.  :P

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2023, 05:46:37 pm »

For the first time in several weeks, there was a true sense of celebration among the halls of The Overlook.

The gem-maker who had hidden herself away weeks ago in the gem-cutting store had suddenly emerged from her seclusion this morning and walked triumphantly into the tavern, dragging the fruits of her work behind her.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The sight of such fine craftsdwarfship had already lifted the spirits of the inmates, and the news from the lookouts had only compounded that. The besieging force outside had finally had enough and upped sticks almost overnight, departing to menace some other place with demands for proper pay and fair employment. It was good news for a fortress with a population as rowdy as The Overlook’s residents, and a party was in full swing already in the pumpkin tavern.

Quantum had been rather less enthused. What in all of the hells had she been thinking? Dragging an artefact behind her in a place filled with debtors desperate to pay off what they owed; it beggared belief! He’d ordered it put in the same place as those made during the previous warden’s reign – behind a set of upright iron bars like those on the cells, visible enough to be admired but not easily stealable.

Still, he reflected, it was probably for the best.

It was a universal truth that every dwarven fortress, prison, and settlement was reliant on four things: booze, metal, overseers, and a steady stream of failures. (However much of a tautology the last two might be.) Steel, iron, and a number of other precious metals were in abundance, at least, despite the lack of things being forged. But the alcohol situation – that was rather more troubling. Even without the roughnecks busily knocking back keg after keg in the tavern, there were barely a dozen barrels of brew in the whole prison.

As if to purposefully stoke his ire higher, the new company policy in the introductory file demanded that a form several pages thick be filled out before a production order be issued. He was halfway through filling it out when a cry went up from outside:

Swiftly following that was the heavy crash of armoured footsteps, and the sound of shouting. He paused for a moment, hesitant, then returned to the form again. Again, he was soon broken from it as one of the militia’s captains came crashing in through the open doorway, iron spear in hand. Her face was twisted into a look of fury, teeth bared in a snag-toothed snarl and her cheeks red with exertion.

“Well, should’ve known this was going to happen sooner or later…” Quantum muttered, raising his head with a muffed groan. He tilted backward slightly in his chair, giving the militia captain a clear shot at his chest. “I know what you’re here for, Captain. Get on w –”

“I assure you, overseer, you bloody well don’t!” The captain snapped, raising her spear to point back toward the fortress gates. “Bastard in some kind ‘a fat suit’s out there, tearing a couple of the bards up. We can get out there an’ try to rescue ‘em, or leave the poor bastards and focus on whacking it. What’re your orders?”

“Do what you think is necessary.” He was already returning his stare to the form. “So long as they don’t get in.”

The militia captain halted for a moment, staring incredulously at the overseer, before shaking her head and departing at a run, slamming the door behind her. Silence reigned for a few minutes more. He took a sip from the mug on his desk, silently enjoying the burn from the alcohol. It was a recommendation of the doctor’s – a way of lifting his mood, and giving him the energy needed to deal with the endless reams of paperwork seemingly needed for anything.

He was almost finished with the form when there was another knock at the door, this one strong enough to send it swinging in on its hinges and crack off the stone wall beside it. Quantum started in surprise at the noise, the jerk of his arm accidentally knocking his inkwell over. A black flood of ink rolled over several of the papers on his desk; only a frantic scramble and luck kept it from blotting out the form he had been filling in.

“Armok give me strength!” Quantum growled, stabbing his pen back down into the righted well and starting at the doctor. “What is it this time?”

“Just me, Quantum.” Dr. Lolorodem swaggered in through the doorway with a grin on her face, eyes flashing with excitement above the restraint-mask that hung around her neck. “Did you hear the news?”

“About the attack?”

“Aye! We’ve got a bunch of those bloody malefactors incoming. I already saw that thing gut one of these irritating minstrels in front of me, Quanty.” Dr. Lolorodem’s tongue flicked out over her dry lips, putting him in mind of a lizard about to strike at its prey. “And I want them. I want to see what makes them… tick. Ah, the things to be learned!”

Quantum merely stared at her for a moment, trying to dredge up an appropriate response, before finally just shaking his head to himself. Whatever the leather-masked dwarf meant, he neither fully knew nor cared; but if he didn’t get this order filled out soon, she’d be learning firsthand whether a screw press and bill could turn a dwarf into a passable wine.

Recognising a dismissal when she saw one, the doctor swiftly rose to her feet and went briskly striding off toward the sounds of fighting, humming to herself as she imagined the things she could learn from the captive Malefactor.

“Wax-brains! Clay-skulls! What have you feldspar-eyed idiots done?”

“Killed it, boss!” One of the militiamen answered with a grin, pointing his spear down at the broken corpse laying on the ground beside him. One of the predators of The Overlook was already enthusiastically sawing up the body, seemingly oblivious to her objections and ire.

“You are certain of it?”

By way of answer, the swordswoman almost casually walked over to the twitching corpse and kicked it hard between the stumps of its legs. The bloated corpse twitched with the force, its dead weight shifting slightly. Her iron boot sunk in almost to the heel and as she pulled it free, it brought a trailing length of intestine with it. Almost at the same time, the predator working on the corpse tore the spinal column and head free completely with the aid of its blade.

“That answer your question?”

The doctor’s eyes flashed above the mask set above her neck, her teeth grinding together hard enough for her jaw to creak.

“Then I suggest,” She bit out, one word at a time. “That you assist me in bringing this refuse down to my cell. I have work to do and things to learn, despite your utter failure to follow o—!”

She was building steam for another stream of curses when the inmate rolled her eyes and cut her off with an annoyed bark of her own.

“Hang it, doc, and stop squalling. We’ve got rid of them; what more does it matter?”

“Squalling” was the word indeed. At this Dr. Lolorodem’s ire rose to such a fevered pitch that she simply threw her hands up into the air in utter frustration and stormed toward the bodies, cursing all the way as she hauled them back off toward the fortress and through the corridors to the cells she had claimed as her own. There, she practically threw the corpses off against one of the walls and stalked off to her writing desk.   

“I told them! I told them a dozen damned times! “Take the creature alive.” AND WHAT DO THEY DO?” She ranted to herself, furiously scribbling with each word.  “They tear the damned creature apart! Well, no more!”

On the parchment before her, a shape began to take form, basing itself off the plan that Quantum had passed to her several days before. A blunt square, funnelling into a broad, open space – and every inch of it lined with cage traps, rigged to snap shut the moment some unfortunate creatures put so much as a toe out of line.

“This should work – the construction of a new way into this hovel, and I’m lining it with every possible means of incapacitation possible! I refuse to let this sentence be the end of my research!”

That done, the doctor half-flung her pen back to the desk and stormed out of the room with the parchment in hand, already seeking out a labourer to conscript.

The dying days of Spring saw the caverns opened again at the Assistant Overseer’s advice; according to her, the soil and mud down there would provide plenty of space for farming mushrooms and cave-plants the next time disgruntled contractors came knocking. More importantly, it would begin to let them alleviate the alcohol shortages that had been plaguing the fortress.

The forges were roaring, as well, hawking up thunderheads of exhaust smoke into the sky. The smelters and forges were running at full capacity again on Overseer Wardedbridges’ orders, churning out new steel ingots from a fresh hematite vein, forging them into steel arms and armour for the militia. Already a few of them were walking the halls with their new gear equipped, torchlight silvering their shiny new steel armour and gleaming off the honed edges of axes, spears, and even a couple hammers. (A handful, too, had been requisitioned by the doctor for her own purposes.)   

Beneath the grey lid of forge-smoke and cloud cover, The Overlook’s corridors were abuzz with activity. The Overseer’s first floor plan had been carved out in full, and anyone not busy with gathering fermentable plants or setting up the first, tentative cavern-farms or working in the roughly hacked-out forge levels had been tasked with smoothing the rough stone. Quantum himself had not been out of his office in days, save for the constant stream of signed work orders and the occasional plan for another expansion of the cell blocks; even these were sent mostly through the doctor.

The relative calm was shattered by cries of alarm and the sudden tolling of bells. Hematite had arrived, and it was bringing with it a less than welcome sight – a half-dozen twisted creatures, led by a pair of twin-headed brutes, cresting the hill and preparing to surge down the slopes toward The Overlook’s entrance.

It was comical, in its own way, to see the sudden mayhem spread across the field as the rabble of Chaotic Beings slammed face-first into a swarm of ravening Gorgers as they burst from ambush. Eagar for the taste of something new, the bloated humanoids wasted no time in hurling themselves at the two-headed creatures, practically frothing at the mouth in their eagerness to bury their jaws in living flesh. 

The militia halted at the mouth of the tunnel, bunching up around the gate in a confused mass as the stone portal was winched shut again. The alarm bells were still tolling somewhere over the shouting and the slither of stampeding boots. Members of each squad were still arriving piecemeal; others ran this way and that with weapons and shields at the ready, blocking the already-tight tunnels further. Most of the civilians were already running for the shelter of the tavern, or the deeper cells.

It would be several tense hours before they were relieved of duty. By that point, the bulk of the invasion forces had ripped each other apart, leaving a carpet of  fleshy debris strewn across the crest of the Overlook. What few remained had run straight into the cage traps of the new entrance, much to the delight of the doctor. She swiftly conscripted a half-dozen hauliers to assist with dragging the newly-caged catches down into The Overlook’s deeper reaches.

That, however, proved the extent of excitement for Hematite. No wagons came to disgorge new shipments of prisoners or trade goods; no disgruntled contractors came to shout their outrage at the closed gates; even the gloomy figure of the ghost drifting around the fortress halls seemed strangely subdued.  The closest thing to it was the occasional request for citizenship by the hired entertainers, the sound of arguments drifting from the tavern, and the rare screeching noise from the newly carved “Solitary Confinement” cells in which the doctor had taken up residence.

Limestone, too, proved curiously calm for the first fortnight. Crops continued to be harvested and fruits gathered; the alcohol stores slowly ticked their way up toward replenishment. A handful of cave-dwelling troglodytes made efforts to rush up into the central stairwell through the caves, only to be snared in the traps set there. They were promptly hauled off to the Solitary cells, to the mockery of the hauliers accompanying them and the delight of its sole (so far) occupant.

An artefact was even created by one of the younger members of the fortress, albeit after several days spent babbling in tongues and occasionally frothing at the mouth.

The only thing worrying was the discrepancy in the records. A dozen steel weapons had gone missing – swords and axes, spears and shields – without so much as a trace. None of the work details knew anything of what had become of them, and a thorough search of the cells by the militia had turned up nothing more dangerous beyond the occasional mouldy biscuit or outraged labourer startled from their rests.

With no evidence and the inmates growing more restless with each day, Quantum reluctantly gave the order to cease the searches. Wherever they had gone, he could only hope it was not a portent of darker things.

The midpoint of the month saw the first new shipment of prisoners arrive at The Overlook. As before the prison wagon came rolling up to the gates of the prison, and the guards hauled their living cargo out onto the rain and blood-wet grass before it. Most of them hastily made for the lower, narrower slit of the trapped entrance, seeing the sentries on duty there and the large bridge standing upright at the main tunnel’s mouth. One among them, however, made a point of striding toward the closed gateway and shouting her demands for entrance up at the stone.

Hearing it, but not the individual words, one of the inmates near to the entrance lever went over and hauled it into the “open” position. Then she heard the words, and cursed several times as she realised what she’d just set in motion.

“Let me in, you ruddy dimwits! I’m the outp—”

It was at that exact moment that she took one step too far, landing herself right in the middle of the area where the gate would descend.

There was a wet crunching noise, a heavy *thump* as the gate struck the ground, and a long moment of silence broken only by the rattle of lowering chains and mechanisms.

The pair of dwarves manning the gate ran out to help, but they needn’t have bothered. The drawbridge had ironed the outpost liaison flatter than weeks old beer.

It was then they noticed the marking on her shoulder: an almost cartoonish ghost sewn into the fabric of one sleeve, “DFM” in bright thread beneath it.

The reaction was swift: after a brief round of inventive cursing and a resolution of the guards to not inform the grumpy old git of an Overseer or his maniacal assistant, the body was scraped off the dirt and propped up with the assistance of a couple wooden splints. A battered hat and old coat were hastily thrown onto the corpse to hide the worst of the damage, before it was hauled to its feet by two of the inmates. They carried it forward into the halls of the fortress with its dead weight slung between them, legs dragging slightly on the smoothed stone.

Despite the busyness of the corridors, they attracted surprisingly little attention as they went trekking through the halls. Most of the inmates were busy partying, drinking themselves into a stupor in the taverns or running about to and fro in the hollowed out meeting areas. Those few who cared enough to stop and look closer often quite swiftly left at the expressions on their faces, though a handful were perceptive enough to see the outline of the patch against the coat, or recognise the facial features under the hat.

At first, they terrified the pair; they felt their hearts leap into their throats every time their eyes flashed with recognition, instinctively bristling with the fear of discovery. None of them, however, raised the alarm. They merely gave subtle, knowing smiles or touched a finger to their lips before pointedly turning their heads away, letting them pass deeper into the prison’s guts. The two had just begun to think they might get away with it, when the Overseer himself emerged from one of the nearby corridors, eyes immediately settling onto the figure.

“Ah, hello. I presume you are the outpost liaison?”

“Satisfactory, Overseer.”  One of the two – Kosoth Bodiceshocked, her name tag read – replied, pitching her voice at a deliberate falsetto. Her mouth barely moved, but neither did the corpse’s, covered as it was by the brim of the hat and collar of the coat. “Not quite as pleasant as I had hoped, but your men have helped greatly. Excuse me – I must be underway.”

“So soon?” He blinked in surprise, head turning slightly onto its side. “I thought you would have wished to... well, to speak with us – myself and my deputy. Gain an understanding of how things have  been…”

“I am afraid that will not be necessary, Overseer.” Beside Kosoth, Ustuth Machinelucky silently strained to make the corpse’s head shake – just enough to convey disagreement, without giving away the game. “We are quite satisfied that one of your… experience should be capable of running the prison without a repeat of the past.”

Quantum flinched backward at that, hesitated a moment longer, before slowly shaking his head to himself and starting to amble away.

“Well… well, I hope you enjoy your visit, at any rate, madam.”

“Nice work, Kosoth,” Ustuth muttered as they moved on, half-manhandling the corpse down the central stairwell and entering into the space the Overseer had ordered carved out. The Solitary Wing’s iron doors loomed out of the gloom ahead.

“Thank you, thank you.” She gave a mock-ironic bow, grimacing slightly as the corpse’s head flopped forward. “I might start up my own puppet show at this rate. ‘Performances every hour, on the hour! Dead people a speciality!’”

“Yeah, har bloody har.” The other muttered, shoving him past. “Let’s just get this done and out of here already…”

The Solitary Wing lived up to its name in both senses of the word. The place was almost completely deserted despite its recent completion, the heavy iron doors into each cell firmly bolted shut and the closely set bars thick with cobwebs. Only the echoey, half-distant slithering of caged things broke the silence as they manhandled the corpse deeper into the shadows.

Before long, they found the cell they were looking for: like all the ones in the wing, it was little more than a blank iron portal mounted on a set of heavy-duty hinges. *Un*like the rest of them, it bore a familiar name, etched in bronze against the grey metal: Dr. D. Lolorodem, MD.

Neither dwarf bothered with niceties; a knock at the door and an unceremonious dropping of the corpse sufficed, followed by the sharp slap of shoes on the stone as they went sprinting off before the door could open. Skidding around the corner, the two of them paused as they heard it grind open.

“Oh, the things I can foresee in your future! So much potential; so many things I can create from a fresh cadaver!” The doctor’s voice carried faintly from the cell they had hidden the body in, her tone high and manic. “And the immaterial power already infused within your flesh and bone – just delightful! Yes, you will be just perfect as raw materials for my newest experiments!”

The pair of gate guards exchanged a look with each other, the desire for drinks intensifying, before synchronously turning and walking away without a backward glance.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2023, 06:36:47 am »

I'll get started on writing up an ending! Rough road this year, but it's been good to read all 3 halloween forts that are going on.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2023, 03:20:24 pm »

Moonstone proved almost wholly without incident, to the private enjoyment of many and the ire of others. The “Solitary” wing of the prison continued its slow march toward population, few of the inmates having any desire to dwell in the hard, unsmoothed cells. The forges continued to burn, the brew-vats continued to pump out alcohol, and the work orders continued to flow from the Overseer’s office. The company even saw fit to send another batch of miscreants and fresh-faced convicts to the fortress, almost a dozen new inmates swelling the ranks of the labour details.

The sole burst of excitement came from the arrival of the latest hostile rabble intending to lay siege to the fortress. Centauroid creatures, half-humanoid and half-canine, came barrelling over the crest of the hill at the head of a smaller host of chaotic entities.

The militia were already mustering at the main gate and the ancillary trapped entrance’s small chokepoint when the situation changed. From the undergrowth, the reptilian forms of predators sprung to ambush the chaotic host, their wrist-blades effortlessly passing through armour and exposed flesh alike, solid slugs pulping bone and flinging the howling beasts backward in sprays of gore. More than a few fell outright, headless bodies stampeding mindlessly this way and that, or crumpling to the dirt and going still.

The chaotic host was fighting back, but it wouldn’t be enough. The predators were small in numbers, but ferocious in manner; while one or two of them went down with their armour ruptured and blood spilling from cracked bones or torn flesh, far more of the opponent had fallen than them. Before long the remaining predators had finished dismantling the slaughtaurs and the associated beasts, and had set their eyes on the Overlook.

Like the last batch, however, they had not reckoned with the traps in the Overlook’s false entrance. Two ran straight into the field and were swiftly snared in the cages, mechanisms and ropes ticking and snapping as they triggered. A roar rose from the militia’s collective throats at the sight – half triumph and relief, half disappointment that there would be no chance to fight today despite the everything.

The rest of Winter passed without so much as a whisper of trouble.

Slate heralded a new change in the fortress – by the overseer’s authority and his deputy’s order, a couple of new rooms were hacked out of the stone, near to the grave-rows. Traction benches and beds were swiftly dragged in and bolted to the floor, the Overlook’s first proper hospital quickly starting to take shape.

It would seem to have come at exactly the right time. Many of the prisoners were suffering from untreated injuries of one kind or another, ranging from simple cuts and bruises to shattered bones and badly sprained limbs. Quantum and the doctor stood at the mouth of the hospital, watching the beds gradually fill with a steady stream of wounded inmates.

“Disturbing, ain’t it? That they were just walking around like that, not even carin’ about their hurts.” She shook her head. “Still, good thing we have them set up now, eh?”

“Mmh.”

She turned her head slightly, curious. “You do not approve?”

Quantum shrugged his shoulders; a slow, weak motion of his arms. “I am ill, doctor. I cannot sleep, nor am I never properly awake. My head throbs and buzzes like a hive, and my body aches all over. I just need to keep going…”

Gently, she laid a hand on his arm. “You should lie down, Quanty. Get some rest. I can keep an eye on things for you.”

He stirred sharply at that, one hollowed eye flicking open to regard her with an odd mix of emotions; something between guilt and suspicion and a strange, deep wariness.

“No… No, I’ll be just fine. I don’t want to burden…”

Ignoring his protests the doctor guided him over to one of the beds and half-pushed, half-laid him down, almost idly waving one of the dwarves assigned to the hospital over. “Get some rest, Quanty. I’ll cover for you, and you’ll be in good hands with Zultan here.”

Before the chief medical dwarf could even protest, the doctor was away again, practically sprinting off toward the isolated cells of the Solitary wing. No sooner was she past the iron doors, the doctor felt her face slowly twist into a maniacal grin.

To subvert command of the fortress had been an almost trivial measure. One mug of her brew a day, mixed with a special ingredient of her own making and a specific plant from the outside. Harmless on their own; but together, they formed a poison capable of eroding its victim’s cognitive and staminal capacity. Not enough to kill, but just enough to slowly render them helpless and reliant on others for all but the least strenuous of tasks. Enough, perhaps, for the walking malpractice lawsuit in charge of the crude hospital to finish him off on accident.

With the Overseer out of the way, she could finally start her project in earnest. She was right on the verge of fetching her first test subject when a dwarf burst in, panting with exertion and his hair mattered with sweat. The doctor resisted the urge to growl aloud as she bid him to speak.

“’pologies fer the intyerruption, boss,” He rasped. “But we got a bunch of those damn chaos-creatures up top, and they wanna speak wit you.”

The meeting that followed was as short as could be expected. The chaotic host had come again, demanding an artefact in exchange for peace. With Quantum indisposed, the doctor had answered for him with her usual brashness: a dozen threats – each quite anatomically impossible – and a rather strong invitation to leave.

The resultant siege was relatively short, by the Overlook’s standards. With the gate drawn up and the sole way in being through the trapped entrance, only a handful of days passed by before the besieging delegation left, grumbling and cursing all the way. Those few who had dared the trapped corridor were simply left behind, to the mercy of the inmates. Only one of them – this one the leader of the group – remained, staring back at the fortress for a long moment before spitting something to the floor, snarling in a language no living throat should produce.

Down in the darkness beneath the fortress’s foundations, something ancient stirred.

Malachite 14th

Another wagonload of inmates trundled to a halt before the Overlook. Scarcely had they stepped down from the wagon before they were being ushered into the fortress and funnelled toward the stone stockpiles, shift overseers shouting orders. The main cavern was alive with the sound of construction as dwarves, argenta, and even a couple of the grays worked together to press stone slabs against one another, forming strong walls around the little patch of muddied farmland they’d acquired.

The tempo of their work, however, was sharply disrupted by a sudden, bellowing roar from deeper within the caverns. Something huge and dirty-brown shifted amidst the passages, a dark leviathan slithering toward the gathering in a way that practically radiated murderous hunger. The dwarves saw it almost as soon as it them, but their labours rendered them slow to react.

Miyufa, on the other hand, had no such handicap.

It came howling out of the darkness toward them in full frenzy, hood flared out, head swinging from side to side. Blood mottled its scaled hide and the thin, stretched-skin wings projecting from its bulk. The forgotten beast had already claimed its first victims from the cavern’s indigenous populations; a limp, feathered shape still hung from one immense fang, venom dripping through the hole that the creature had bitten cleanly through the cave swallow man’s chest. Blood fell steaming from shallow gashes between its scales and in its head, where the birdlike creature had ineffectually raked its talons across against the predator before being felled.

The immense cobra reared up on its tail before striking forward, quick as a whip. Its flailing tail cracked off the stone walls of cavern and fortress alike, sending labourers scattered in every direction to avoid it. Most of the workers were quick to react, scrabbling to their feet and rushing for the stairs, squeezing past each other in their haste to escape, tangling with the militia’s soldiery as they came crashing down the stairs.

One, however, was not so lucky. The beast caught a particularly unlucky ranger by the neck as he turned to flee, buffeting him with its atrophied wings to keep him off-balance before flashing forward to sink its huge fangs into one of his arms. Teeth sticking fast and pumping venom into its prey’s blood, the beast began to drag the screaming ranger back into the dark, pausing only to almost casually tear off and swallow one of his legs in a single bite.

That decision, however, had proved ruinous. The dwarves were upon it before the beast could finish its current victim, axes swinging and curses screaming through the air. Hard blows from several steel axe heads ripped scales apart with wet cracks and bruised the fat beneath, or else tore deep gashes into the muscle. Others clambered up onto the beast’s curving spine to press the attack, hammering their weapons and fists into the scales and tearing at whatever exposed flesh they could find. What had begun as a quick, simple snatch-and-swallow on the beast’s part was rapidly bogging down into a quagmire.

The beast fought back with the savagery common to its kind, thrashing its huge bulk around, whipping its tail around itself like a makeshift scourge. It was not nearly enough. Its movements were slow and predictable, slowed further by blood loss and the torn muscle fibres throughout its body; the dwarves simply leapt out of the way and lunged back in to rip more scales free, or to tear fresh gashes into the exposed flesh. One dwarf in particular, this one bearing the masterwork arms and armour of a captain, managed to mount its flailing spine fully and slam her axe into the side of its neck.

The axe went deeper than she had expected and stuck firm; the blade had found a natural seam in the creature’s far-apart scales, a gap to the flesh below just large enough to admit the weapon’s business end.  The immense cobra snarled and spat as it realised the sudden danger, thrashing about to try and throw her off, but it was too late. The militia captain leveraged the whole of her considerable weight downward in something between a stamp and a kick, the steel blade biting deep enough to sever the spine and a good bit of the creature’s neck tissue. Its own weight and frantic movements did the rest.

With a noise like tearing leather, the serpent’s body crashed to the cavern’s stone in a spray of ancient gore and fragments of scale; several foot away, its head followed suit. A long moment of utter silence came and went, before the caverns rang to the sound of cheers and victorious cries.
In a result both surprising and disappointing for the hospital staff, very few of the dwarves required treatment of any kind. The unfortunate ranger would likely never walk again – (“I’d sooner drag myself in the dirt than have that quack minister to me!” he’d said, dragging himself away from a disappointed-looking Zultan as she put down a wooden peg leg and several iron nails) – but the rest of the civilians and even the military had no more than a handful of cuts and scrapes between them.

Below, deep within the Solitary Confinement blocks, an altogether different hospital was far busier. It was a simple, blocky little room, hollowed directly out of the stone and connected to the main wing by a thin tunnel of unsmoothed stone.

Dr. Lolorodem was not the only figure occupying the hospital. Almost two dozen cages decorated the perimeter of the room; Orderlies, Plastic Surgeons, goblins, zombies, and a half-dozen other breeds of creatures occupied them, restrained by heavy chains or rendered paralysed by splint-suits and injected chemicals. Most were still dead, or close enough that it barely mattered; those that were wished for it, if they remained capable of doing so. None retained more than a third of their skin or two-thirds of their muscle and tendons; few had the totality of their organs and bones still within them, the flesh stripped away to serve as raw materials for the doctor’s latest round of experiments.

Despite their mutilations, no sound emerged from the bodies. Vocal chords and tongues had been the very first elements removed, lest they disturb her concentration. As the dark frown currently marring her features could attest, it had meant very little.

Resting on the table were the results of her latest experiment: a narrow-bladed steel sword, scarcely three fingers wide at the base but as long as a human was tall; beside that, a simple, crude-looking coil rifle.

A closer look would put the lie to their seeming simplicity. The serrated edge of the blade was not made of metal, but of teeth that seemed to grow from the metal itself. The handle was itself made a humanoid’s hand, joined with the steel across the top in lieu of a thumb, such that the fingers of the wielder would interlock with the fingers of the hand; above that stood a circular cross guard formed from re-shaped ribs. A spike of bone projected from the base, a knife-length projection for stabbing and parrying in close combat. The surface of the metal was streaked with scarlet and Verdigris, seeming to ripple and pulse with an internal life of its own. Were one to look particularly closely, they would see the near-invisible mist of spores floating like a miasma around the blade.

The coil rifle had been similarly modified. The metallic firing coils were wrapped around with lengths of tendon, creeping like bindweed around the barrel and reaching down to the trigger; the simple sights had been replaced with a small arch formed of abraded tusks, jutting up from the steel. Beneath the long, circular barrel a slit-pupiled, shrivelled eye had been crammed into a modified vent, to assist the user’s aim; within the trigger guard, a hammer of still-bloody bone twitched restlessly. Were the trigger to be pulled, it would send not a bullet flying from the barrel, but teeth long and sharp enough to punch through the exotic metals of a predator’s armour and rend the flesh behind; ones that would expand through the victim’s body like a nest of growing thorns, shredding them apart from the inside out.

The doctor regarded both of them with something between silent revulsion and utter ire.

This pair had seemed promising. However, they had run across the great stumbling block in all of her research: there was simply not enough immaterial energy in the region to empower the weapon successfully.  She had hoped the nature of the penal colony – the near-constant sieges, the misery of the population, the endless, grinding labour – would provide enough charge to ensure the experiment’s success.

Weapons created from all the vicissitudes of these advanced creatures’ bodies, feeding on the strength of their purpose and the power inherent to their being, the sheer potential behind them and their purposes into the steel of the devices. All the magnificent could-have-beens and things that they would have created had they not come to this fate, funnelled into the devices for the sake of increasing their power.

The theory was sound, she was sure of it!

Yet these ones had failed to meet her expectations. Lacking the necessary immaterial state for full conversion, they were little more than powerful – and quite exceptionally ugly – weapons rather than the tools of army-breaking power she had desired to replicate and re-create. She had hoped that they might at least stand a chance of matching those she’d crafted before the narrow-minded fools had found and imprisoned her, even if they were a pale shadow of what she wanted them to be, but there had been no such luck.

Her ire building, she seized the sword in her hand and flung it across the chamber. It struck one of the walls with enough force to throw up a spray of sparks, then clattered sullenly to the pitted ground. Something leaked from it, half-vapour and half-liquid; blood and spores stained the stone. The coil gun joined it a few moments later.

She’d dispose of it, in time. For now, it was time for another round of experiments and surgical work; another attempt at replicating the weapons she had dug out of that ancient, abandoned complex so many years ago in the Black Hills.

She would learn the secrets of their construction, no matter how many lives and souls it took.

ENDNOTES
I think I got relatively lucky with this turn. Sieges kept coming, but they’d either just mill around outside or run into an ambush (typically Predators, sometimes Gorgers) and then wipe each other out; never saw any of the necromorphs either, which was a bit of a let down in terms of Fun potential. Wasn’t really much in the way of tantrums or dorfs losing their shit either, which kind of sucked.

Honestly don’t think this was my best work in either story or gameplay, but I did what I could and added some bits of sp00ky architecture to the place, along with a couple new artefacts. Thanks for the turn, Del, and good luck with yours!

Spoiler: Apocrypha (click to show/hide)
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2023, 12:58:40 am »

The dwarves of The Overlook had grown wise to the promise of prestige and honor. This year's request for an overseer was met with no replies. The collection of criminals, castaways, and louts were too streetwise for such a simple ploy to work any more. The following is a convening of Delmont, Johnny, Quantum and Splint.

Quantum looked wearily down at a tankard of purple wine. Treasures worth a thousand freedoms laid behind iron bars all around him.

Johnny and Splint walked into the tavern with the calm of a murderer. "Another year," Johnny stated.

Quantum waited for more explanation, none arrived. "I've done my time, two ways now. Find someone else."

Splint chimed in, "There is no one else. No one will take the job, so you can't step down."

"Give it to the doctor, then."

"Which doctor?" Johnny asked. An Argenta witch-doctor gave him a side-eyed glance. Johnny continued, "We've got about 15 people with medical degrees here. Zultan? Lolorodem?"

Splint, again, "Doesn't matter. They've got more important things, all of them." He tossed the DFM manual onto the table in front of Quantum. Quantum considered his options - flee? Grab the next caravan out? Throw a punch? This place is a powder keg, a brawl would break out in an instant, and he could slip out unnoticed. Mothdast Ozleb in tow, he'd be set for life. That's the issue, though, isn't it? You start a brawl and you're just as likely to catch a predator knife to the neck as the next guy. Set for life, alright - 1 minute, plus.

One of the grays waddled over to the table, his skin promptly fell off and a naked, sweat-drenched dwarf crawled out. Everyone's suspicions had been confirmed: Cold Weakghost was simply a dwarf in a costume.

"Don't freak out, guys. I know you've all been thoroughly tricked, but I was in there the whole time."

"We know," they all said.

"What? How?" Delphonso asked, looking truly incredulous.

"When people started dying, we all learned real quick how to spot a suit. The suits aren't nearly as deadly as the real things." He paused. "So, what did you want? Overseership."

"Afraid I can't, my boy. Conflicting interests, legal liabilities. That sort of thing. You should know that. The CEO can't be seen running a prison directly."

The three overseers looked at each other, then jumped on Delphonso.

-=-=-=-

In the bat-offices, three ex-overseers have tied Delphonso, CEO of Delphonso Frights and Magic, to a chair. The interrogation began.

"You could have gotten us killed. You DID get some people killed."

"Look, the Bembul thing...how was I supposed to know?"

"Not that, you idiot," Splint interjected, "This whole thing!" He threw his arms up in the air. "This whole stupid prison is a death trap, and you've been sending waves of murderous monsters to our doorstep! What the hell is wrong with you?"

Quantum noted, "Who has been sending them, Delphonso? You've been here for a few years. Who's in charge while you're away?"

"...I'm not sure, actually. My secretary, maybe? You see, my second in command, Atmel, well he was the one who was supposed to come here, but I found him decapitated by a predator about halfway here."

Johnny looked up from some paper he'd been scribbling on, "Who knew you were here? The raids went deadly around the time you showed up. Remember the bloodbath in the hallway? Well...the first one. That was right after you arrived. Right after you stopped giving orders."

Delphonso thought it over, with what little brain-power hadn't yet been destroyed by whisky and cigars. "No one."

Johnny finished, "No one except Atmel."

Splint put it together. "Whose body conveniently didn't have a head. How close did you check?"

Delphonso stammered, "Well, well, there was a predator about, you know. Those things are nasty, so...I was in a hurry, you see?"

The door slammed open, a steel-shelled goliath with a spear rushed in, breath fast and heavy. "Overseer...s! The enemy have come. 60 odd from the Dark One's Army. They're already at the gates! What's the order?"

-=-=-=-

The battle outside The Overlook is in full swing. Ghastly devils fly about, hurling motes of fire at military dwarves and conscripted bards alike. Gelatinous ghosts flatten and reform behind shields and axe-swings, enormous fish-men rend armor asunder with razor-sharp claws.

"Watch your back!" Splint shouts. Delphonso ducks low, dodging a firebolt that lands in the fields, briefly illuminating the first pumpkin to grow at The Overlook. He stands back up, a spear shaking in his grasp.

Quantum Drop swings a broken leg of a limestone throne, as close to a warhammer as was on hand, and shatters a skull inside a body of jelly. Johnny pins a skeleton down with a table, and Splint puts an end to it by rolling over it's exposed head with a wheelbarrow. The tides felt as if they were turning, then they heard the shouts inside the fortress proper. The children, grays, and already insane rushed out, terror in their eyes. The overseers ran in, shouting commands to the militia dwarves to pull back. Delphonso tried to follow but was knocked down by Zultan, who was rushing to recover a fallen dwarf.

On the ground for just a moment, Delphonso looked up at the looming mountain. He saw his beautiful manor-home there. Terraces and balconies. A hundred and a half rooms, for friends, family, any one. All a possibility still. He smiled and barely felt the fireball hit his chest. He was immolated instantly.

The three overseers found themselves looking down the main hallway, vomit and blood still faintly on the air. They heard a mad cackle from below. Then, the whining whir of...was that one of the coil guns? A bolt of blue flew out of the darkness and caught Johnny in the heart. He fell with a surprised look on his face. Doctor Desma Lolorodem walked calmly toward the overseers. Her surgeon's mask was not quite right. Too tight. Too close. Too much...a part of her own skin.

Purple sigils floated behind her, in a script indecipherable in their fear. The remaining two overseers turned and ran. They felt their fear echoing out of them, somehow building - feeding - charging - creating The Doctor.

-=-=-=-

"The Overlook?" Atmel asked toward the window, smoke lingering around him, still.

"It's been destroyed, sir." A sharply-dressed secretary looked at a clipboard. "No inmates remain at the construction site, except one. Inmate #1783452 - Desma Lolorodem. She managed to run off all the remaining inmates as well as the contractors from DLA. Though the DLA representative guarantees that their job was finished before Lolorodem made an appearance.

"Good, then." Atmel drew hard from a cigar. The orange glow reflected in the window. The night was dark and cloudy, with the moon giving a faint glow to a patch of clouds. "You may go."

For a moment, the secretary thought they spotted a tear on Atmel's cheek, but left without asking more.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC: I'll come back around and edit anything that is...incongruous. Hope you all had a wonderful Halloween! My daughter is now old enough to really celebrate. We did pumpkin carving, a treasure hunt, and trick-or-treating! Happy Halloween and scare you next year!

Spoiler: Delphonso, next year (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2023, 04:50:11 am »

I smell vengeful dwarves next year. My portent of the future is some grouchy folk with a bone to pick or ten who scrambled out in the chaos and bloodshed. That bone being with a whole bunch of companies who took things a smidge too far at some shitty little tourist trap/prison a few years back...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2023, 05:09:56 am »

Thanks for the entertaining spooky times this year, y'all!

(...Maybe by next year I've got a grasp of the Premium UI and can join in the overspooking.)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2023, 09:42:35 am »

Yeah, I'll certainly need to consider things more when designing next year's spookyfort. Either sticking with 47.05, or making sure the modding process is cleaner/easier. Graphics would be useful, so I might dig around the workshop ahead of time and find something already made.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2023, 06:04:25 pm »

just finished reading these last few posts. amazing. i wish I could manage half as cohesive a journal.

It would be several tense hours before they were relieved of duty. By that point, the bulk of the invasion forces had ripped each other apart, leaving a carpet of  fleshy debris strewn across the crest of the Overlook. What few remained had run straight into the cage traps of the new entrance, much to the delight of the doctor. She swiftly conscripted a half-dozen hauliers to assist with dragging the newly-caged catches down into The Overlook’s deeper reaches.

convenient, this, when the baddies turn against themselves.

On the ground for just a moment, Delphonso looked up at the looming mountain. He saw his beautiful manor-home there. Terraces and balconies. A hundred and a half rooms, for friends, family, any one. All a possibility still. He smiled and barely felt the fireball hit his chest. He was immolated instantly.

The three overseers found themselves looking down the main hallway, vomit and blood still faintly on the air. They heard a mad cackle from below. Then, the whining whir of...was that one of the coil guns? A bolt of blue flew out of the darkness and caught Johnny in the heart. He fell with a surprised look on his face. Doctor Desma Lolorodem walked calmly toward the overseers. Her surgeon's mask was not quite right. Too tight. Too close. Too much...a part of her own skin.

Purple sigils floated behind her, in a script indecipherable in their fear. The remaining two overseers turned and ran. They felt their fear echoing out of them, somehow building - feeding - charging - creating The Doctor.

hahaha poor delphonso... what a way to go. a fitting end.

so like... I really enjoy these seasonal themed fortresses. so great for motivating players.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2023, 01:34:50 am »

Good stuff, can't wait to see what kind of spooky stuff happens next year!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]