Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 68507 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]
« Reply #660 on: September 15, 2023, 01:00:48 am »

that being said, if your torturous labor produces more of the above writing, then perhaps we can arrange for a few iron spikes here and there to keep you working hehe

I do actually often have to force myself to do creative things like writing. And afterwards I'm happy I did it. Once I get going it's usually not at all torturous but rather enjoyable, so, you folks are free to stab me with a iron spike once in a while if things are too quiet.

dwarf me as a certain 'Edzul the Silent.' This male dwarf is mute, excluding statues, with whom he holds full conversations on various topics including philosophy, art, and hunting for mythical creatures....

I'll add Edzul and try my best to make him like your description.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 16, 2023, 10:09:53 am »

Part IX:
Halls of Red

5th of Felsite, 383
Grownwaters

In the north-west of Minbazkar, in the Dipped Hills was Grownwaters, the retirement home of Ova the mandrill man. For many a year he had not been seen there, and so the elephant man necromancer Cañar Spiritcoal the Armored Groove of Persuaders and his faithful friend the once-dead goblin, now death hunter, Rin Fisthearts the Robust Flesh of Charring had made it their home for almost a decade now.

The somewhat tattered cloak of the elephant man flapped in the breeze as he sat legs crossed and eyes shut on the ledge overlooking the entry to the burrow-house below. The undead goblin with a hollow stare in his eyes walked to the elephant man with four shambling corpses -- a few of them dragging their rotting entrails behind them -- following him.

“Is it time already?”, the elephant man said without opening his eyes. The goblin nodded.

Cañar, the elephant man, stood up slowly, breathing deeply of the cool wind. He turned to face his companion, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, “I must have been meditating for a long time then... It is easy to lose track of it these days, get caught in deliberation, for time matters not any longer for me.”

Rin, the goblin, stared at Cañar blankly.

“It is a tranquil day. Or perhaps it has been tranquil for some time now... How long? Days? Weeks? Months?”, Cañar said to no one in particular, still deep in his thoughts. “It makes one forget the world around us. All the troubles and burdens of it. All the hate, anger and fighting. All the war. One can almost feel at... Peace.”

The goblin continued to look at the elephant man with his empty gaze. The walking corpses moaned, flies buzzing around them.

“If only Ova were here with us...”, Cañar contemplated with a hint of sadness in his otherwise emotionless features. “I know not where he went and I believe we will not see him ever again. Not alive, at least. Time has passed. So much time that the Prince must have claimed his body. But you and I know that if were to find his remains, we could bring him back...”

Cañar sighed, turned and walked to the wooden stairs leading down from the ledge.

“...But it is not our old companions we have to think about now,” he continued his monologue. “No, it is our mission. To bring peace. It is apparent to me now that it is no use allying ourselves with the fools of Islandfences. They are not a solution. They are a part of the problem: infighting with each other, each trying to be Kadol in place of Kadol. Spending more time with dusty tomes than spreading the mercy of a life after life without strife...”

He looked back at the goblin as he unslung his steel war hammer, Nethlîlar Emlïd, and steel shield.

“If they are not a part of the solution,” Cañar began, “They are part of the problem.”

He took another deep breath. The goblin continued to stare at him with blank eyes, but there was understanding in his expression.

“We must deal with them,” the elephant man said sternly, “Come, let us go.”

Cañar, Rin and the shambling corpses headed north without stopping, for earthly needs such as food, drink or sleep was something they did not need. They passed hamlets of humans, ignoring them, for they had no business with others than the necromancers of the Prestigious Glazes and their minions for now.

Their first stop was at the forest retreat of Fatedmorning in the Forest of Helping. It was one place said to have fallen under the shadow of the necromancers.

The elephant man and his followers marched to a huge lychee tree, named the Tempest of Excavating. There they saw several humans: one on the ground among the tall, dense grass and another or two in the flowering branches of the tree grown by elf magic.

The humans looked terrified when Cañar said calmly, but with a threat in it, that they must lay down their arms.

The humans replied with bolts from their crossbows.

Cañar, Rin and the undead replied by slaughtering each and every human they found in the forest retreat, the dead soon swelling the ranks of the undead.

Through the night the elephant man and Rin, followed by a horde of undead, walked, passing several other forest retreats on their way to the tower of the necromancers. The stars shone bright and bold from the clear sky, casting a bluish white light upon the dead and withered grass that crunched beneath their feet.

Many of the old elven settlements had camps around them, but Cañar decided to let them be for now. Their time would come later.

And peace would be brought to them.

6th of Felsite, 383

The sun had began to rise when they saw the spires of Islandfences finally in the south, rising from the barren dead land.

Past dead trees they walked down a slope, following the determined steps of Cañar leading the way.

The elephant man grasped his war hammer tightly in his hands. He was not particularly fond of getting into the excitement and chaos of battle yet again. That is one reason why he had only dealt with the one fallen forest retreat. He hadn't longed for battle, but he knew that if he and Rin were to go up against the tower he needed more followers.

For too long he had thought that the necromancers were the solution, the way to bring peace to the world. No, he understood now that that was not the case. Their goals may have intertwined for a while, but what the necromancers sought was power. Power over life and death. And none from this world should wield such power.

It was the domain of the gods.

But today, today Cañar would strip the necromancers of their power and lay waste to their schemes.

Cañar stood on the ledge surrounded by his twitching and fidgeting mindless undead and with Rin standing behind him. A sudden gust of wind blew from the west, making his cloak flutter like a flag or war banner. Dust swirled around with the breeze, carrying a strong stench of death and decay with it.

He felt a vengeance coursing through his veins. It was strange, for ever since he had read the slabs, he had felt empty and devoid of emotion.

The elephant man raised his war hammer and pointed at the spires of unnatural gray knotted stone rising from the desolate silty fields surrounding the ominous structure. “There it is. Islandfences. This is not the first time I am here, Rin,” Cañar said. “But it will be the last.”

There was a spark of eerie light in the baleful eyes of the goblin, but he said naught.

“This is what we set to do then. A decade or more ago. We strayed from the path,” Cañar glanced at the goblin. “And it was for a purpose, for our quest was misguided -- or, more precisely, we had understood it all wrong.”

He then turned his back to the tower, so he could face the goblin.

“Do you remember Lòr's dream, Rin?”, Cañar asked. Rin was silent for a moment, then nodded.

“It was something I contemplated while meditating. 'There were those who through sacrifice and perseverance stood their ground, raised a wall of shields.' Those words struck me then and they strike me still. What did they mean? Then we thought it was us who would be the 'shields', fending off 'Darkness and Night'. Perhaps we were the shields, and still are... But that matter not, for the dream went on and, according to Lòr, 'There was no curse, no pain, no death behind the shield-wall.' No curse. No pain. No death. Now, tell me Rin, what do you think that means? With all that we have learned since?”

Rin raised his brows and twitched his head.

“No idea?”, Cañar continued. “Well, think of your state. Your current state. You have no curse. You feel no pain. There is no death for you. You fell 'under the sway of the Night.' Yet... Here you are now, made 'whole and good.' You are past the suffering. You are at peace.”

The undead goblin looked at Cañar, not flinching a bit or giving any hint of what he was thinking -- if he was thinking.

“Do you understand?”, the elephant man went on. “We are still the guardians, the shield-bearers of Lòr's dream. We are still on the Quest. But what we must do is not only put an end to the Darkness, we must, too, bring all the living to a state like your's... Or like them.” Cañar waved his hammer at the horde of undead milling about.

“But enough for now. Let us go and put an end to what Kadol set loose upon the world,” he finally concluded.

Cañar stepped inside through the crooked entrance of the tower of Islandfences. It was dark, the air thick and filled with the scent of blood -- old and new -- and rot, but he was familiar with the smell, the large entry hall and many of the winding passages of the necromancers' lair.

What was new were the many mangled and mutilated corpses strewn about the floor, the stones blackened by dried blood or made a slick red with fresh.

Sounds could be heard from many directions further in, echoing around the chambers and halls.

Cañar walked to the little fat human girl with hair flowing all the way to the floor. It was curious that her hair had turned grey, though it still had traces of its original color, chestnut. The child was a ghoul, a plague thrall of Kadol, and had apparently lived a life of unlife for a very long time indeed.

She was playing at the feet of a concave-nosed goblin with protruding red eyes. The goblin -- also a plague thrall -- paid little attention to her, and turned to face the elephant man.

“Who claims the title of Overlord of Islandfences currently?”, Cañar demanded.

“It is a title I hate and abbhor. It has been a plague upon these lands for far too long,” he continued, his voice rising to a boom. “Speak now. Point me to the master and I will put an end to this madness... And then I will give you peace.”

There was no reply. The plague thralls were not the least bit interested in what Cañar had to say, nor were they intimidated by him or the undead horde lumbering behind.

So Cañar crushed and skewered their skulls with his hammer and tusks.

It was something that would happen a lot that day.

Soon the entry hall was littered with even more corpses and the floor was all painted red with a coating of fresh blood.

There were only a couple of Dimpledbronze's Hounds -- abominations with downy feathers and large mandibles, vaguely shaped like boars -- left in the hall, and in the center... In the center there crawled a baby, all smeared in blood, dirt and brain matter.

Cañar hesitated.

He had already killed several plague thrall children. But a mere toddler? Something inside him stirred and stayed his hand for the moment.

...Until he realized that this was no infant. It was an old being in the body of one. Decades of unlife had turned its hair white and it had an animalistic hunger in its eyes.

It was one more abomination created by Kadol.

Cañar walked to it and brought his hammer down in an arc.

The plague thrall was no more.

Cañar and Rin went from room to room, through twisting hallways, up and down narrow stairs, leaving a trail of blood, body parts and heaps of plague thrall corpses behind.

Disturbingly most of the thralls, infected with a ghoulish condition wrought by Kadol, were still children -- or, more precisely, in the bodies of children. It was horrid to think that these poor souls had once been subjected to terrible experiments and unimaginable pain that turned them into these abominations that were neither living, dead nor undead, but something else.

Up in one of the spires the wall was open to the outside, the wind rushing in through the opening and howling in the hall. A human plague thrall child was playing with some old  bones next to a steelen table when Cañar came, his gore-drenched war hammer ready to strike, his tusks dripping the blood of his victims.

And soon this thrall and the one further down the hall lay unmoving, too, their skulls caved in by hammer and shield.

Hours passed as the elephant man traveled the halls and chambers of the tower, crushing all in his path.

And finally, when he was certain he had put down everyone in the tower except the overlord, as he returned to the entry hall he saw before him a broad and muscular goblin with the look of a plague thrall. She was dressed in robes of thin leather -- possibly made from the skin of poultry -- and wore a woolen hat ending in a curled point, her long carmine hair flowing from under it in a tangled mess.

This had to be the overlord.

“You!”, Cañar shouted at the goblin. “I am the one who put down Mec Urgedguard not only once, but four times. I have come to put an end to your villainy, to the terror you and your ilk inflict upon this world. I will slay you -- even if I have to do it a thousand times!”

He charged at the goblin plague thrall.

The overlord did not answer, but turned to move up the stairs. Cañar leapt to her, swinging his hammer down on the goblin's head, crushing it with a mighty crack, spraying blood and brain matter around.

Yet the goblin kept going.

Cañar swung and swung his hammer time and again.

The goblin didn't put up much of a fight and soon lay dead on the stairs, blood flowing down them from the lump of gore that used to be a head.

After the overlord fell to Cañar's onslaught, they left the tower grounds, not bothering to check all the surrounding smaller structures. Cañar knew they were only inhabited by the unintelligent beasts of the necromancers, and when left to fend for themselves, they were not something that needed to be dealt with immediately.

They walked southwards through the Jungle of Consideration, a once verdant forest that was now grey and dead due to the malign influence of the evil magics of Islandfences. A thin mist rose from the barren ground, making the husks of the leafless fruit trees more dreary -- not to mention the rain that poured from the dark grey sky.

Cañar stopped at a slope and gazed southwards. He motioned to Rin, who came to him, pushing himself through the lumbering zombies who dragged along with them.

“It is done fore now,” Cañar began another of his speeches. “Islandfences will not rise for some time after what we did today. Yet, the grasp of Kadol reached far and wide, as we came to know during our first journeys. The Prestigious Glazes has other strongholds and there is bound to be a new overlord...”

Cañar continued peering to the south, and Rin turned to look in the same direction as if wondering what the elephant man was looking at.

“Our work, once again, has only begun,” Cañar continued with a burdened voice. “Will the fighting ever end, I sometimes think. Is this of use? With every step forward the distance to our goal -- to peace -- seems further off. Yet it nears still. We must continue. We have time. We will not grow old nor weary no more. We will see this to an end eventually.”

The elephant man then turned to Rin, “But before we continue on this path, there is something I want to show you... There are...things that you are unaware of, that happened when you were... Away.”

Cañar turned to walk south down the slope, and once again he motioned Rin.

“Come, Rin. I will take you to a place not far from here and tell you the whole story. The whole truth.”

If Cañar would have looked at Rin at that moment, he would have seen a spark of intense curiosity and questions light up in the death hunter's eyes.

=====

A bit of a check up on what's happening with our elephant man necromancer and Rin.

I didn't clear the surrounding buildings of the tower, because I actually did that, but just as I was about to save I had DF crash to the desktop. So, didn't feel like killing all the beasties again and made up a silly excuse why they left them be after killing all living things in the tower proper.

Also, god damn those undead followers were a pain in the ass. All the time getting in the way in the tower halls.

I hope next update I get a conclusion of this part of Cañar's and Rin's adventures and then I'll hop back to Tanzul and his adventuring group.

Hmm, I probably had something else on my mind I was supposed to write about, but seems like I've forgot it... Ah, well, in any case, hope you enjoyed this sidetracking.

(Edit. Oh yeah, it was rather disturbing that, uh, the vast majority of the undead in the tower were actually plague thrall children... Now I don't know how that happens/what causes it, but elsewhere in the world many of the plague thralls I've seen were also described as being kids.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 16, 2023, 10:13:07 pm »

a tower full of blood and dead things, alive with movement . . . HORRIFYING

this party seems well-equipped to fight the undead. at times, it almost looks like you are playing C:DDA what with the hordes trailing after you

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 17, 2023, 02:45:59 am »

Necromancers must be some weird ass bastards to experiment on children and babies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 20, 2023, 11:12:47 am »

Part X:
Memories

6th of Felsite, 383

Soon after Cañar, Rin and the horde of zombies following them came out of the dreary and very dead Jungle of Consideration, the mist broke up and the sky cleared. They came to the Dipped Hills, marching to the south and slightly east.

The sun was blazing from high up in the western sky, but the heat bothered not the elephant man or the goblin who no longer felt or cared of such things.

They trudged through fields of high satintail grass, under the flowering boughs of cashew, paradise nut and various citrus trees. The scenery was quite different here than in the dead forest, and many would have thought of it a place of bliss were it not for the groaning and moaning undead trampling the vegetation and fouling the soil with pieces of rotting flesh falling off them.

The clear weather did not last long: dark clouds began to gather in the sky and soon the heavens were of a uniform dark grey color with a heavy rain falling down. Cañar stopped next to a pond. There was no need for a pause, but he felt like it in the moment. It was easier to talk when not moving.

“It is oddly satisfying to see Lin in this state,” Cañar began, looking at the headless corpse near him, shambling and stumbling around, its severed head rolling mindlessly on the ground trying to keep up with the rest of the body. “She was one of Kadol's wasting corpses not but hours ago, raised to an intelligent undeath by the necromancer lord himself... Or, so I heard during my visits to the tower. Now... Well, now she is one of my flock.

Rin looked at the corpse and petted it like one would pet a cuddly animal. He then looked at the elephant man, who once again appeared to be wrapped deeply in his thoughts. The goblin death hunter expected another monologue to begin and prepared himself for it.

“Rin, I never asked you, and you never told me,” Cañar addressed the goblin with a cautious voice. “But how did it happen? How did you fall into the water?”

Rin's eyes turned to glare blankly into the elephant man's. He was silent and only stared, unmoving, emotionless.

“So, you remember not? Hmm, interesting...”, the elephant man said with a disappointed yet intrigued tone in his voice. “Ah well, it matters not. I believe you are beyond such concerns as memories. They can be... Painful. A burden. I see now more clearly that my conclusions are the right ones: your state is one at peace without the curse of emotion.”

Cañar turned his eyes back to the south and straightened himself. “Let us continue. It will take us no time to reach our destination.”

Rin watched the elephant man walk for a while, the zombies trailing him faithfully. He then set off to follow him.

It was not that Rin did not remember or that he did not have memories. Before this... It was something that had not come to his mind. He could think, still. But there was most of the time no need for such things. In fact, he didn't feel any needs. He was in a sense empty. Didn't feel anything, but 'not feeling' would be the wrong way to describe it: for even that is a feeling.

In his current state, he just... Was.

The journey continued south through the Dipped Hills, and when they came to the Intricate Hills, they had already come to the highlands. The lowest peaks of the western end of the Mountain of Combat loomed ahead and the trees here were stunted. Rain continued to drizzle from the clouded sky, turning the soil all soggy and muddy.

They turned eastwards, following the peaks until to the south they saw a wide valley between the mountains. There on the highland fields they could see a familiar structure rising a bit further off, nestled between the rising cliffs: the fortress of Ceilingyell.

The group squeezed their way through the narrow gap between the green malachite walls of the fortress and the ridge of sand. Through the gates they stepped to the dank and dark upper hall, which perhaps at one point had been a grand sight, of Ceilingyell.

“We are here,” Cañar said as they stepped past the remnants of a tavern. “This is the last place where we had an adventure when our group consisted of four. It is the place where we fought the vicious giant viper from a forgotten age... When Ova was injured. Do you remember, Rin?”

Rin petted the rolling head of Lin. He turned to look at Cañar and nodded.

Yes. He indeed remembered this place. It was where they came soon after they had rescued the goblin Gozru from the camps of Fencereined. It was that goblin who told them of this place. And it was that goblin who fell on the way here when a all of a sudden a wasting corpse -- possibly a minion of Kadol -- had attacked them.

And he remembered very well how Ova lost his leg here -- the very reason why they built Grownwaters to be his retirement home. He remembered how he came late to the fight. How he lied that he had 'got lost in the passages', when in truth he had been ordered to do so by the... By the voice of Bazsa the Sinful echoing in his head.

That voice echoed in his head no more.

Cañar walked to the the center of the hall, towards the ramp leading into the depths of the earth.

As he began walking down the winding path, he spoke, beginning another of his stories. “Well Rin, I never told you that I returned to this place. This place was the turning point.”

Rin followed the elephant man, keeping his eyes on him and listening intently.

“It was after your... Accident. When we had laid you to rest. Ova decided to stay behind, retire, be the caretaker of your tomb. But our quest was far from finished, and it seemed like a daunting, overwhelming task for only two. Yet, as his last effort to help us on our path, Ova came up with a plan, a possible solution...”

As the elephant man spoke, they walked down the winding ramp in single file. At the bottom of the first part of the shaft was a wayshrine and Cañar walked to it, looking at the quartzite pedestal with a long six-sided die on it.

“How strange that we haven't spoken of the past earlier. I only realized it this day. Strange isn't it?”, Cañar said as he swept a line of dust off the pedestal. “Ah, but where was I? Yes, the plan. You see, we still had the slabs of power with us and were confounded what to do with them. It was Ova who remembered the old story of Edu and Suwu climbing on a fiery volcano. And this led to the thought that the molten rock, the very lifeblood flowing deep within Minbazkar, would be strong enough to unmake the power.”

Cañar shifted his eyes from the pedestal back to Rin. He didn't notice that the goblin was listening particularly attentively to his words.

“However, the volcanoes were too far. Yet, we knew that dwarven fortresses of old reached deep into the bowels of Ôsed's creation,” he continued the story, wrapped deeply in his memories. “And that these fortresses had furnaces powered by magma. We didn't have to go far to try out Ova's plan. For a  dwarven fortress, Ceilingyell, lay not a long distance from Grownwaters. And it was a place we knew.”

Cañar paused and headed back to the ramp, Rin's eyes following him intently.

As he descended, he went on with his speech, a trace of contempt creeping into his voice, “So, following the lead of Suwu we came here. This very ramp we descended for a second time. But this time Ova was not with us. As you were not. It was only the two of us left: me and Suwu. The end of our quest looming before us.”

Cañar then clenched a fist and through gritted teeth said, “We almost made a mistake. Oh how close it was! Curse her!”

Rin's head twitched slightly at the last bit.

For a long time they continued the descent in silence, the shaft opening next to them, continuing into the deep dark. They passed several floors opening to the abandonded halls of the dwarves, but their destination lay ever the deeper than those.

After a long, long, seemingly endless way downward, they finally reached the bottom of Ceilingyell. The air was heavy, thick and hot -- there was almost an oppressive feel to it. Cañar slowed his steps the further in they went, as if there was a reluctance to go any deeper.

“We are almost there,” he said, his voice almost only a faint whisper. “These same halls the two of walked then. Close, so close to the end of the Quest of Lòr given by Mestthos. We believed that we truly would put an end to it. To the fear, the hate. To the pain, the suffering...”

Cañar stopped for a moment. He leaned against the wall and sighed.

“Why didn't she come to see it?”

Rin raised his brows, eyeing the elephant man, wondering. The elephant man seemed weary. Tired even. Something was burdening him. He was hesitating with his words, clearly. They seemed to leave much unsaid. What did he mean? What was he getting to?

The hallway ended in a stone door. The elephant man pushed it open and a gush of heat blew from the room into the passage. With heavy steps Cañar lumbered in, the moanings of his undead echoing in the halls and chamber ahead of them.

There were many cracks and holes in the floor, glowing a fiery red, the air rippling above them. Cañar walked to the closest one sluggishly, barely lifting his feet, his eyes turned to the ground.

“Two of us came here,” Cañar said, his back turned to Rin. “But only one left.”

The elephant man peered into the blazing pit, leaning on his war hammer. He let go if it and it fell with a clang next to him. He dropped his shield, too, and then slumped on the floor, staring into the bubbling molten rock.

Rin shifted closer to him, pushing the shambling corpses aside to make way.

“Why, why didn't she hear them?”, the elephant man said. He seemed completely oblivious to Rin and the zombies around him. “Why did they speak only to me?”

Cañar lifted his gaze from the pit, slowly turning it to Rin. But he avoided meeting the eyes of the goblin death hunter.

“It is a pity. A shame. How things turned,” he continued, a slight trembling in his voice. “Suwu Cleanmusics was a fine capybara woman. One who I remember fondly. One who I would call a kindred spirit... Yet, she did not come to see the truth of matters. Her actions in the end almost destroyed any hope for the completion of the quest. For peace.”

The elephant man finally dared look Rin in the eyes. It was as if they were watery. One could almost make out tears in his eyes.

“Do you see, Rin? It had to go that way. It had to!”, anger began to grow in the elephant man's voice. “I stood here, at this very same place then. I had both of the slabs in my hand. I was about to make the greatest mistake ever made... But then, then the Gods spoke. Their voices entered my soul, stayed my hands. I felt their power. It rushed through me. The glimpses and flashes of divine knowledge burning into my mind -- the secrets of Life and Death.”

Cañar clenched his fists as he sat on the floor. “No, in the end Suwu was the enemy. She tried to stop me. Our bond was broken. Comradeship cut in an instance. She attacked me... And she fell. She fell into the fire...”

The elephant man, stood up and pointed at the fiery magma, his eyes hot with rage. “She fell there. In flames she went! A punishment from the Gods, surely. She had it co--”

Cañar felt a sudden strong thud as something hit him. He lost his balance and footing.

And he fell...

...Into the boiling rock, bursting in fire before he even managed to scream anything. The heat scorching his flesh and bones in an instant.

Rin had shoved the corpses against the elephant man, pushing him into the magma.

Rin walked to the door, away from the searing flames which had lit not only Cañar, but many of his undead minions on fire. He watched the fire burn, its flames flickering in his eyes. His eyes full of vengeance, anger and disappointment.

The elephant man had to be stopped.

He was mad. He was seduced by the Dark Gods. Lost. No hope of bringing him back.

He would have destroyed the world.

And Rin would not allow that.

Slowly the fires began to diminish, the thick black smoke clearing through ventilation shafts made by dwarves of old.

The zombies began to now mill around Rin, confused of where their master had gone.

Rin put them to the sword.

Silence fell.

Outside the stars were out casting their light on the highlands of the Mountain of Combat. Rin walked with long steps across the fields of grass and mountain avens in spring flower. On his back was strapped Nethlîlar Emlïd, the steel war hammer of Cañar, and a steel shield. His own sword and buckler were in his hands.

There were many memories going through Rin's head.

He remembered a time when he led a prophet and group of pilgrims to a town, which he came to hold dear. He remembered how he came to appreciate the milling of spelt into flour in his mill. He remembered his hands smelling of fish. He remembered becoming the Assistant Sheriff... There were many people he remembered from that place and he thought what they might be doing at the moment. What had they done all these years? Were they alive, even?

Rin began to hum as he walked. The humming turned into a melody as he waded over a shallow brook.

And as he hummed the melody, he began to remember words.

And these words began to come out of his mouth in a song.

He sang 'Amethysts' -- sloppily, with a hoarse voice.

And as he sang, his feet carried him with determination towards a place he had been away from for far too long:

Rin was returning to Waterlures.

=====

And that concludes the Quest. Goodbye Cañar.

I hope that is at least somewhat satisfactory. I felt like this part of the story was dragging and been at a standstill ever since Suwu died, so I tried to come up with something how to end it. Otherwise it would've been every 5-10 years jumping to Adventure mode and "seeing" what Cañar is up to... Which would have been pretty much nothing. And then send him off on a killing spree and raising undead to bring peace.

But since intelligent undead retain their loyalties, I thought that Rin would not take it. He was still loyal to Waterlures. Thus, he made the choice to end Cañar's madness. Despite them being friends.

Or something like that.

Anyway, Rin will be eventually back at Waterlures.

But next I'll head back to Tanzul and company, plus make the new adventurers to somehow join them.

We'll see what happens.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 21, 2023, 04:24:20 am »

I quite liked how you wrapped up that story arc. Can't wait to see what happens in the next part.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 21, 2023, 06:37:11 am »

I quite liked how you wrapped up that story arc. Can't wait to see what happens in the next part.

Thanks!

Concluding that part was long overdue and I was for some time quite unsure how to end it. No idea what happens next (other than vague plans, which may or may not work out), so I'm also waiting to see what comes around, haha.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 28, 2023, 09:58:46 am »

Just a short progress update:

I've made the new characters and figured a way to combine them with Tanzul and friends. Currently making some progress on writing introductions, but it's a bit slow (not exactly the most interesting thing to write about, but necessary...).

Hopefully I'll have enough stuff (as in: not just introductions) by the end of this week for a proper update post.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 29, 2023, 03:59:20 am »

Doesn't matter what you come up with I'll enjoy reading it.

Also I just realize we've passed 666 posts on the thread!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 29, 2023, 12:40:08 pm »

Part XI:
A New Destination

8th of Felsite, 383
Controlledseal

A week had passed since Tanzul, Dimbulb, Coni and Galel had arrived at Controlledseal from the far north-west. During that time the main hallways and passages of the dwarf hold had become quite familiar to them, though they still easily lost their sense of direction when deep within the earth and far from the open sky.

It took some time to not be awed by the magnificent wide, high halls of masterful stonework, the intricate details here and there and the general sense of grandness. It was quite unlike anything they had seen before.

Truly, the legends of dwarven masonry were not exaggerated -- in fact, they hardly made justice to the craftsdwarfship.

One of the first places they had visited was the trade depot, straight ahead from the entry and next to the entrance to the deep halls with their spiralling pathway leading down. They found out that it was a good place to meet citizens and travellers alike, all coming and going on their daily business, stopping by to do a little trade.

Politics was something that many residents liked to talk about and they soon learned that the governing body was called The Stormy Dagger, with a mayor at the head and running the fortress. Yet, the politics were not as simple as that: Controlledseal was also the capital and the throne of the current monarch, queen Aban Gripsabre. Many a noble, such as count Vutok Cryportal, had their seat here, too.

As they had told tales of their adventurers to the locals, they learned much about the customs and religious life of the residents of Controlledseal.

It was interesting that the old dwarf gods of the Bent Spears had been shoved into the background (at least in the capital) by the growing popularity of the Order of Harvesters: a religious sect dedicated to the worship of Zoku the Permanency of Quests. Tanzul and the rest were familiar with Zoku, the goddess of longevity and youth from the Relieved Realms, their home kingdom.

The alderperson of Controlledseal, one elf named Mafi Manornut, told more of how trade was good in the fortress these days.

“It is wonderful to see wealth flow in and out of our grand halls. Merchants from no less than nine major settlements come here to conduct their business -- not to mention the many villages and homesteads around the countryside. Why, even the elves from the forest retreat of Sparkledchained, just south of the Walls of Spray in the Whimsical Jungle, come here,” the elf had told them.

They not learned only of recent events, but legends of old were told them when they asked more about the Bent Spears and surrounding lands.

“Many a legend there is of these lands, many a tragic one. One such tale tells of the hamlet of Bridlewaves in the Contained Field, not far to the west from here on the coast. It is a sad tale, of the cost of arrogance and pride. A tale of how the colossal titan of bronze, Slatsu Clobberedbraved the Ace Maw, forged by the gods themselves -- or so it is told -- descended upon the village after they had angered the gods,” Mafi had said, as he began recounting one such tale.

Another place they visited more than one time was the Oracular Vault, the grand library of Controlledseal, said to be the greatest in the whole of Minbazkar. Grand it may have been, but it was desperately in needing of dedicated librarians for the scholars frequenting it kept leaving books and scrolls strewn all about.

“Welcome, welcome, oh travellers! You are free to peruse our collection, but please, please, for the love Pimra, be mindful and respectful of the materials,” the clearly overworked goblin Ngerxung Polishcruelty had greeted them and sighed as she looked sadly at the piles and piles of misplaced codices.

Once during the week, Tanzul tried his luck with divination at a shrine dedicated to the worship of Nanir, the dwarven goddess of revelry, music, trade and wealth.

He did not have much luck with his roll of the die, as the results said (according to the locals) that ill fortune was to follow him for a week.

It had made Galel laugh.

“They say it is winter all around the year in the south,” Galel said to Tanzul and the others. “Most likely an exaggeration, but it is bound to be much colder than what we are used to... But I do like the sound of this plan. It is more likely to yield us with a good adventure and perhaps even some fame. All this asking around about local troubles and following rumors that may or not be true, hasn't got us far. So I say yes, let us take the offer.”

The four companions were in their room in the Golden Fruit, one of the inns of Controlledseal, discussing their next move. It was a rather odd structure, the inn: unlike other buildings it was made entirely out of wood, its floors covered in a mixture of straw and soil. No doubt it was a way to make travelers from human kingdoms and the like feel more at home in the dwarven hold.

“It's very, very far to the south,” Coni spoke up from next to the bed. She was sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall with her legs stretched in front of her. “It is off the maps we have. We could get lost in the wilds. Fine protection we'd then be, but, heck, it'd be an adventure if anything!”

“But we did get quite detailed instructions from Ngerxung,” Tanzul said. “There was no shortage of landmarks and what paths we should take. And to be honest, ever since we heard of Waterlures in Healgear, I've been interested in it. Imagine, a town that was founded and run by animal people!”

“Surely exaggerations,” Galel gave a short laugh. “You think dwarves or humans would give our kind the chance to govern themselves? Hah! I think not. They think of us as too 'uncivilized' for anything like that. Perhaps there's more animal folk than in the average town, but run by them... Pssht. Don't believe everything you're told, fox man.”

“ANYWAY,” Coni raised her voice slightly, seeing an argument incoming. “True or not, I think we should give it a go. It's a good chance we got here. Though the folk we'd be travelling with are quite the odd bunch...”

“You can say that again,” Galel grinned a beaky grin.

“...But then again, so are we...”, the hamster woman continued.

“There's that, too,” the ostrich man chuckled, looking at Dimbulb who wasn't paying attention -- the hippo man was mesmerized by a small cave spider climbing a wall.

“So, it's a yes from me, too,” Coni concluded.

“I'm in agreement, yes,” Tanzul nodded. “Dimbulb? What say you about going south?”

“Hum? Uh, what?”, the hippo man turned to look at the rest, all confused. “Uh, whatever you guys say, I'm in. I guess... What're we doing?”

The four of them headed downstairs to the taproom of the Golden Fruit. Chairs and tables made of stone were arranged in a chaotic manner around the hall, which had a quite low ceiling compared to other buildings in the fortress. It smelled of stale ale and wine, sweat and old vomit. It had a completely different charm to it than the rest of Controlledseal.

Tanzul walked to one of the tables with a group of animal people and a dwarf around it. He sat down as the group looked at him expectantly.

“Have you come to a decision?”, a capybara man with a thick coat of boar leather spoke.

It was Sibrek Paperpriced speaking. A local merchant who was the one who had approached the odd group of four adventurers after hearing that they were looking for work.

He and his dear friend, Astesh Tradestandards, a capybara woman, also from Controlledseal, were planning to head south into the lands of the dwarves of the Fence of Amusement. In their words, they were planning to settle at Waterlures -- the town the adventurers had heard some stories of -- and start a new life. Perhaps set up shop and start a small business there. “'tis a place full of riches and ripe with opportunity,” Sibrek had said when they met.

“Yes, we have. It is an offer that we will gladly accept,” Tanzul answered, looking at the rest of the group who were to come with them. There lay a large range of wild and savage between here and Waterlures, and travelers headed to the south often sought the company and safety of each other. So was the case now, too, and it would not be just the two capybara people they would be offering their protection.

To the left of Tanzul sat an odd sight: a long-necked animal person with thick wool. His face had a round muzzle and he was constantly chewing his lips, occasionally spitting on the floor. He wore a copper skullcap, which seemed a bit too tight for his head, and under his open flowing robes he wore armor of hardened leather adorned with the symbol of the Bent Spears: a prowling giant tiger (how one could tell it was a giant tiger and not a normal one, was a question often asked, but rarely answered).

This was Osod Lanternfogs, a llama man who used to live near Controlledseal in the highlands. A monk he said he was, and you could believe it: he was a calm one, respectful and mindful of others, often speaking of the gods.

Osod was a worshipper of Mater, the god of rainbows, and he had spent a long time living in seclusion next to a waterfall, where he had built his home and a shrine to his deity. But now it was time for him to move, for the god had spoken to him, shown a sign in the sky: a great rainbow directed to the south.

So the llama man had packed, headed to Controlledseal, and when he heard that there were travellers on their way to a place called Waterlures in the south, he had said, “Surely, this is what beloved Mater meant. You were sent on my way, or I on your path, so that we may together head there, find out what is His purpose and will.”

Some might have thought it a bit far-fetched, but who are mortals to judge how the Gods speak to their followers?

Opposite of Tanzul sat a dark skinned dwarf with straight pumpkin-colored hair. Unlike his rather greasy and unkempt hair, his beard was well arranged in double braids and his moustache neatly combed. He stared with interest at the fox man with his protruding brass eyes.

This was Edzul Stockadepleated, the Silent.

Edzul hailed from the mountain halls of Openspear, deep underground within the northern range of the Walls of Spray. What was most curious to Tanzul and the others, was that Edzul had hardly seen any of the surface world in his life. He had made his way from Openspear to Controlledseal by way of ancient dwarven roads cutting through endless caverns that lay far below the surface. The adventurers probably would have not believed that such things existed if they hadn't seen for themselves the Path of Yearlings, which led from the depths of Controlledseal to other fortresses of old.

It was not easy to make out anything of Edzul, for understanding him was hard: he was mute and he communicated only with hand signals and facial expressions. More often than not, they had misunderstood him. Travel with him might be difficult, but travel he wanted to.

This they had learned from Edzul's friend, who understood the dwarf's non-verbal ways of speaking.

Pife Staffpicks, a rather inconspicuous hedgehog man who was easy to miss, had come to the aid when Edzul first tried to speak with the adventurers frantically waving his hands and winking his eyes. “I-I am s-sorry, b-but if I may,” Pife had said with a stammer, all jittery and nervous. “He w-w-wishes to go t-t-to Waterlures. T-to see a-a-a... A statue garden.”

Pife came actually from the south himself. From a hillocks called Coalmarked and it was part of the dwarven kingdom of the Fence of Amusement. He had come to Controlledseal for the vast collection of scrolls and books in the library. Now he was heading back to the south, but not to his home.

He, too, wished to visit Waterlures, for he had heard much of the House of Knowledge -- supposedly the greatest of all libraries.

The hedgehog man did not travel alone: he had a duck. A duck named Dumed Teacherglove.

It was a curious bunch to travel with certainly, but that was not all of them, no. There was still one more to join them on the road.

The last one was Maloy Whimrabbits, and he had a intimidating presence: he was unbelievably large, stocked with twice the amount of muscle and fat than Dimbulb had. But to be fair, he was an elephant seal man, and -- according to Pife -- they were always enormous. Maloy had a big floppy nose overhanging his lower lip, his neck was thick and robust, his skin was calloused and looked like it could almost function as armor in itself, and his lower body ended in flippers -- which, combined with his scrambling movement, somewhat broke his otherwise menacing appearance.

Maloy was from the coast to the west, from a small hamlet called Riddledentrances. It was part of the Distant Confederations and lay next to Unitebrands, a town which had fallen during the wars ravaging the land and was under the rule of the necromancers. Yet, despite being in the shadow of the foul sorcerors, the people of the hamlet had somehow managed to survive, though a harsh and meager existence it was.

And that is why Maloy had left. Seeking his fortune as a hunter of beasts in the lands of the dwarves, which still stood there ground against the evil. But he had found not much work here, and having heard tales of more opportunities in the south, in the Fence of Amusement, he had decided to head that way.

Recently he had met a bunch of merchants and travelers heading to a place called Waterlures -- where there was bound to be work as a hired sword (or rather spear in the case of Maloy) -- and were looking for protection on their way through the wilds. Without much thought he had accepted the deal.

But one elephant seal man would hardly be enough to fend off marauding bandits or deserters, nor something of a more foul dispotion.

And, thus, Sibrek Paperpriced, the capybara man merchant, had approached the band of four well-armed adventurers who were seeking work.

Sibrek smiled at Tanzul, he clapped his hands and rubbed them together with glee.

“Ôsed be praised! I was hoping for such an answer,” he said enthusiastically. “When would you be willing to leave? We were hoping to begin the journey this day, but we can wait at least until the morrow, if need be.”

“No need to wait,” Galel hopped in before Tanzul could reply. “We're ready and set to go right away.”

“As he said,” Tanzul looked at the ostrich man, slightly agitated. “Shall we then?”

And so the group of four adventurers had grown into a band of ten travelers. Out from the dim halls of Controlledseal they stepped, the clear sky opening far and wide over them with nary a cloud in sight. A breeze of fresh and cool highland air swept over the slopes and fields of short and hardy grasses of the mountains.

The day was still young, the sun in the east. The adventurers were in high spirits, ready to travel again. Once more their plans and destination had changed, but this time a clear goal lay ahead of them: to reach Waterlures.

The fabled town of animal folk.

=====

So, mainly just introductions in this one and nothing much happening. I realized that if I start their journey in this update, it'll end up being way too long.

Hope the named characters are satisfactory enough. We'll see how they develop along the way, but there might not be so much spotlight time for all since there's so many people in the group now.

Hope they'll reach the capy town within a couple of updates. Starting to have quite the fort mode itch, hah.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 29, 2023, 02:26:41 pm »

nice  :)

“There's that, too,” the ostrich man chuckled, looking at Dimbulb who wasn't paying attention -- the hippo man was mesmerized by a small cave spider climbing a wall.

hah

Pife Staffpicks, a rather inconspicuous hedgehog man

Ah, yes, Pife! My old friend. . and translator.

Osod was a worshipper of Mater, the god of rainbows, and he had spent a long time living in seclusion next to a waterfall, where he had built his home and a shrine to his deity. But now it was time for him to move, for the god had spoken to him, shown a sign in the sky: a great rainbow directed to the south.

this made me consider how much weather is present in DF, and yet, no rainbows! not sure at all how that would work but. this Osod may be onto something..

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 29, 2023, 08:56:59 pm »

WOO let's go!

May my harpoon become legendary!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 30, 2023, 05:07:15 am »

Dang that's a big group we've got going, wonder what kinds of things they'll be getting into before they get to Waterlures.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 30, 2023, 12:26:32 pm »

this made me consider how much weather is present in DF, and yet, no rainbows! not sure at all how that would work but. this Osod may be onto something..

It'd be fairly easy to add to adventure mode once a weather effect for rainbows would be in place: you'd just add a new text description for (W)eather (e.g., 'there is a rainbow in the sky'). Though I guess these days people would be wanting to see procedurally generated pixel rainbows or sumthin...

More variety with weather would be cool. Fort mode sometimes gives announcements like "a storm/blizzard has come", but there's no such things in adventure mode (or at least I haven't seen any). (That doesn't of course stop me from imagining such things and adding them to writeups.)

May my harpoon become legendary!

Let's just hope we don't run into some serious problems immediately and everyone die.

Dang that's a big group we've got going, wonder what kinds of things they'll be getting into before they get to Waterlures.

It's not the first time we have a big group. I think the group when Rin first came to Waterlures was about the same size?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 30, 2023, 05:31:06 pm »

this is basically my childhood fantasy of an Oregon-trail like game but with less manifest destiny, and more dwarves. who's gonna get dysentery first
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48