Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Back to raiding  (Read 23286 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Finally set sail!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 10:58:28 pm »

I'll take a common sailor, second watch. I'm not trained as a fighter, just as a sailor, so no raids. (I can be whatever profession works best for this.) Also, with my unimportant voice, I'm going to support rout one, except skipping the tower, and hitting the couple of human monasteries and villages in the north. They are sparse up there, and shouldn't put up much of a fight.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 05:31:24 am »

WINTER 257 - CONTINUED
The crew seemed unanimous, The Lionfish head south and east.  However, before we can start plundering the shore we must adapt to sea life; doubtless there will be challenges we had not prepared for, despite the advanced construction of a ship such as this.

Despite stocking the ship as best we could before departure it seems apparent that maintaining our supply of booze will be a constant effort.  Although the water purification system worked perfectly that’s preferred only as a last resort.  By dumping some fresh water on the lower deck we have been able to produce a farm plot of sorts.  The farmers on the crew assure me that surface type plants will grow down here, despite being cut off from sunlight.  I’ll leave their expertise to them.
Spoiler: Farming room (click to show/hide)
If need be we can always put ashore and gather wild plants to turn into drinks (or food) at any time. At least while we are sailing past the distinct jungles such plants are plentiful.  We may also need timber to maintain the ship or produce charcoal from time to time.  From this initial voyage we garner an idea of how dangerous and difficult it might be to pass through open ocean, or along barren shores, for a long period of time.

Already the ocean is showing its treachery!  A pack of orcas approached the ship, doubtless with intent to eat it whole, but they seemed to flee upon realizing it sports a coppery hide.

It seems some of the dwarves are certainly taking well to the new lifestyle, going so far as to climb up to the crow’s nest for a view of the surrounds, and hopefully will spot any sail before they spot us.  I just hope they don’t dance too boisterously up there.
Spoiler: Up among the clouds (click to show/hide)
As far as food is concerned our stocks seem to last better. We had planned to rely greatly on fish for long term sustenance, and had built two fishing platforms on the sides of the ship for just that purpose.

At this point one of the sailors grumbled that we could have gone north and bypassed the tower, seeking the weaker targets further beyond, it's too late to change course now though
Spoiler: Fatcat (click to show/hide)

As we sailed past the hamlet of MostRabbits we could see from the ship that the town was completely deserted and there was nothing of interest there for us.  So we sailed on to the hillock of Flagdream.
They seemed ill prepared for an attack by sea and smoot made short work of their token resistance by smashing their commander.  Then we loaded the loot on board.
Spoiler: The haul (click to show/hide)
Not bad at all for a tiny hillock!  And Farvin wanted a dog so that one will be his.
We also got a very uninteresting book.  Coppernourished is to the south and far inland, were it closer to the coast we might find some weak point from reading this but at least we have a book in the library now.
Spoiler: About the mountainhome (click to show/hide)

Onward now to the human hamlet of Bakersleaped!  Let us hope they are equally ill prepared.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 04:40:57 am »

Huzza our first successful raid, may our next be as easy!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 07:04:26 am »

Aye-hey, Smooty with the first kill!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 02:42:56 am »

SPRING 258

As we sail briskly past the coast, the dense forest and the bassy din of the giant grasshoppers gives way to the open fields of the Rough Plain, and the dwarves who brave the crow's nest can see far indeed.  However I like to think it was the noses of our fine crew that detected the enemy first.
Spoiler: Spotted on the shore (click to show/hide)
It seems the foul influence of agewards extends at least this far south from the tower itself; we spotted a band of undead on the shore!  Doubtless heading to inflict death and worse on bakersleaped.
Dwarves! Battlestations!  We can’t let them beat us to it! Behold, among the dead humans and such bought back to unholy life the grotesque menagerie that spews forth from Agewards:
Spoiler: Ageward's Nightmare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Warrior of Cuthroz (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nightmare of Night (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creature of Night (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hound of Stizashurvad (click to show/hide)

The dwarves sprang to battlestations, eager to test out their ballistas.  The Lionfish carries a mix of copper tipped and wooden ballista arrows, and the dwarves put some of them to excellent use.

The marksdwarves took to the fighting top as well and inflicted some severe damage
Spoiler: Metruption's work (click to show/hide)

Unable to withstand our harassment the dreadful host turned and fled swiftly inland!  A great victory for the Lionfish and her crew!

Obstacles thus removed, we sailed in and hit the 3 human villages on the rough plain with a minimum of resistance:
Spoiler: Bakersleaped + Loot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rhymeglade + Loot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Primeinch + Loot (click to show/hide)
Some fine work there, although the loot isn't amazing every scrap of metal can be melted down to make more bolts and ballista arrows. Shame there were no more animals though!

Wait what's this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
By Limar Minebud!  This must be the first dwarf ever born while borne by the waves!  As such we named him Seaborn

Now we have to plan our next move, if the crew cares to weigh in, 3 options:
Spoiler: Proposed routes (click to show/hide)

1: We remain in the bay of the rough plain and revisit these towns for all they’re worth.  The ship is fairly well stocked at this time, however it could be an easy period to train our raiders more and gather what we can, doubtless there is more to take.
2: We sail south, hitting more villages along the way, and attacking the town of guiserings, a bit more established, but likely to house better loot as well.  Presumably we would continue south and then east.
3: If we want to get ambitious there is the Human Castle of Jawgeorges but a short trip inland, if our raiders land and attack suddenly they may take them by surprise.  This option has the most potential for loot, but also the most danger.

And unfortunately there is another matter I wish to hear what the crew thinks of.  Not all dwarves seem to be cut out for sea life and the ship’s metalsmith, Tun Mengidok has been cracking under the stress, and has started multiple fights!
Spoiler: Thoughts and prefs (click to show/hide)

The question is simple.  What shall we do with a dwarven sailor?  I want to believe he will recover and stabilize, but what does the crew think?  Is there any appropriate punishment?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 02:53:57 am by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship - What shall we do with a dwarven sailor
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 02:57:56 am »

I like the sound of option 1 as it allows us to train our troops to become even better raiders.

As for the violent sailor I say if he doesn't calm down I saw we throw him overboard!

Also these necromancers sure do seem to like to experiment on horses, I wonder what the horses ever did to them to deserve that kind of treatment.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 06:52:09 am »

Option 3!

One can't help but wonder.... by raiding and killing are we only helping weaken the world for the tyranny of the necromancers? Is our selfish adventure just making the world that much darker?

ah forget it! We need another shanty! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHbU6s0jANc

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2021, 09:00:21 am »

Also these necromancers sure do seem to like to experiment on horses, I wonder what the horses ever did to them to deserve that kind of treatment.

DF horses can get pretty violent. You.ever see the screenshot of the horse putting a dwarf into a chokehold? Honestly I want to run some experiments on them after that.

Option 2! Claim the easy to take for now. Those hamlets had nothing worth the effort.

Retire fatcat with a pension? I believe pirates actually did that.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2021, 02:16:42 pm »

Hey, I'm not the rowdy one! I vote for an attack on the town. I also support seeing if there is anything interesting in the monastery outside of the town.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2021, 03:46:58 pm »

Oh yes naturally we will hit all convenient surrounds, as mentioned we'll hit hamlets en route as well if we go with option 2

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2021, 03:50:50 am »

If the rest of you think option one is already looted for all it's worth, than I shall change my vote to option two.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2021, 06:30:26 pm »

SUMMER 258

We turned The Lionfish south, the crew mostly choosing to make for Guiserings.

While we are keeping an eye on our belligerent metalsmith, it seems the most violent tendencies have ended, at King Zultan’s suggestion we will throw him overboard if he offends again and he can try his fist again the Orcas!

The birds we captured earlier add a nice amount of food from their eggs, but we still made a brief stop on the mire of obstacles to gather some additional plants and timber.  Alas while ashore tragedy struck, Fravin’s newly acquired dog decided to go after a king cobra!  Unfortunately after envenomation there was no hope for the poor hound.
Spoiler: Poor thing (click to show/hide)
On the way we raided the hamlet of Soaktaken, the hapless residents did not even attempt to resist!
Spoiler: Soaktaken Loot (click to show/hide)
Some very nice loot indeed, iron and platinum!  Not sure what we'll do with those platinum bars, any suggestions from the crew are welcome.
A bit more of a battle ensued at Auragripped, and good results too:
Spoiler: Auragripped Loot (click to show/hide)

And then on to Guiserings!  For a target such as this most of the whole crew will be involved, of course those more military minded would take the lead and the others be more responsible for carrying away as much loot as we could. 
The resistance did not really seem all that much stronger!
Spoiler: Guiserings Loot (click to show/hide)

A nice haul indeed! A couple of nice books, that iron and bronze will melt down nicely into ballista arrows and bolts, and some foreign booze will surely be appreciated.  Curious that there are no more animals to take though?

We also sent a few dwarves inland to investigate the monastery of mindclash, but found it deserted and empty

We are now entering autumn, and we plan to continue south and raid all the small villages and monasteries to along the coast there.
Spoiler: Continuing South (click to show/hide)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Easy pickings
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2021, 07:26:07 pm »

Pretty big hauls this time!

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2021, 10:17:27 pm »

I would suggest a second raid against the town, just to see if our dwarves might miss anything useful in the future. After that, we can keep going like planned. I say we cast a fine bronze figurehead for our ship from all the bronze we captured.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2021, 10:52:06 pm »

I would suggest a second raid against the town, just to see if our dwarves might miss anything useful in the future. After that, we can keep going like planned. I say we cast a fine bronze figurehead for our ship from all the bronze we captured.
Hmm not a bad idea re-raiding the town.
What would we make the figurehead an image of?  Currently we have this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Could remake the same in bronze? Any other thoughts?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11