Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenge Fort:Outpost Ethramdoren [Community Fortress]  (Read 1756 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenge Fort:Outpost Ethramdoren [Community Fortress]
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:31 pm »

A royal quartermaster stroked his beard before looking down at the slab. His face turned pale as he glanced over at another marble slab on the granite table. He placed the opened parchment by it and said, "Gullysack, these dwarves are peasants! With these supplies, there's no way they'll make the deadline!"

The dwarven general didn't look up at the quartermaster. He shrugged and opened both of his palms. "I'd expected this," he said, "Those nobles from the counsel had to remind me who's the real boss around here."  He pulled both slabs toward him and read the contents carefully.

Inventory:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"The Seven of Ethramdoren"

Spoiler: "Mistˆm Fleshrope" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Shem Oiledmoistness" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Ineth Treatytoned" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Rith Groovetrumpet" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Aban Grippedpicks" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Mebzuth Mirrorsun" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Erib Laudwinds" (click to show/hide)

A long silence later General Gullysack added, "At least every one of them value martial skill and craftsdwarfship. The queen at least was able to get me good dwarves, but not even she could completely avoid the nobility's grip on her power. I can only," the general said with a clear disdainful expression on his face, "pray those incests at least followed my suggestion on the location of the next outpost."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a bad case of the writer's block and what better way to get rid of it than to do a community fortress with a generated challenge. I used the Scenario Generator to set some challenges for the fortress as a whole. Said challenge is the following:

Biome: Seaside
Surroundings: Peaceful
Challenges: Metalworking and Carpentry* only. No other industry.
Goals:
Quote from: Entry #4 from Megaprojects
"Build a castle, greater than anything built by human, elf or dwarf. This is highly time consuming if you want it to be a good castle. There must be floor indoors, and no underground constructions except for mining operations and cellars. For an even greater challenge, build a gigantic tower in the middle, where the nobles stay.

Bonus: Did I mention you get bonus points for building the middle tower on a support connected to a lever?"

*I added this because other than modding it in, there's no way to make or trade for a bed out of metal.

I really don't know what will do me in first. Will it be the boredom from the calm embark, the industry restrictions, or the self imposed time limit? I will update every Tuesday and Friday or do a early one if I feel like it. Feel free to make requests. Just as long it's reasonable and doesn't violate the challenge.

I do plan to end this within three game years or less so the story isn't never ending unless something extreme happens.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge Fort:Outpost Ethramdoren [Community Fortress]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:14 pm »

Are there lots of trees around?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:41:20 pm »

Trees? Oh yeah, plenty of those around.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:44:38 pm »

Well, everybody who isn't digging, or farming, have them cut down some trees. (with wooden training axes) Just leave the wood on the ground.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:19:02 am »

Getting this Friday update out of the way since I won't have access to the internet on that day.

1-15-115

The expedition leader pointed at the wagon again. "Double check then," he said, "That axe is there somewhere."

"Why did you think there's metal ores in the wagon?" Mistem grabbed a pick out of the wagon. "No sense in crying over it now. We must get to work now."

Shem kicked a wheel out of the wagon. With another kick to another wheel, the wagon made a loud thump. "Well unless you're fine with having a forge made out of charcoal, I'm getting to work on that wood. Don't be resting long cause somebody's got to start building."

The expedition leader dug through the pile and pulled a pick out of the pile of coal and barrels. "How long do you think it'll take to cut enough wood to start on that wall?"

A glance over at the pieces of the wagon's wood later, the self-assigned carpenter said, "Two days. One for making a wooden axe out of it and another for cutting most of this out of the way."

"Let's get to work then."

4-1-115

Mebzuth carefully walked through the barrels of food and fine dwarven wine. While making mental notes on where to channel out a hollow moat around the makeshift walls, she heard Rith yelling, "BE GONE FILTHY THIEVES!"

"That's pretty brazen of them to sneak during sunrise through the entrance," the leader muttered to herself.

One of the metaldwarves hobbled over to the leader and said, "What are we goin to do? It'll be a matter of time before the whelps inform the others about this place."

"My only advice I have is to work faster," she said, "but I will get somebody to move those animals by the armory. That should discourage them rats."

4-24-115

Mebzuth 's face turned grim as she listened on.

"I think I found an aquifer there. This will set us back." Mistem pointed over at the dug stairway behind him.

"It will only if we let it. We don't have the luxury to dig through one now. Dig down through stone to get past it."

"And what if one is there too?"

"Dig near the sea then. Keep an eye for more veins, the smithies are running low on ore."

5-1-115

"HELLO, WHERE ARE YOU!"

The fisherdwarf looked around the vast landscape for any sign of a dwarven settlement in the area. He glanced down at the given crude map given and took a second look at the chiselled trees by a sea. It took a second glance to find a wooden structure with a partial moat around it.

He turned toward the group following him and yelled, "It's over here! I found it!"

Two groups walked toward him. One wore the guild markings of fisherdwarfs and another farming. A child ran ahead of them, and a loud voice shouted, "Vucar wait on me!"

I will show a dwarf's preference/info screen upon request

5-22-115

It was another windy day as Stinthad Torchgorge picked up another log to be used as a ceiling. As much as she loathe being here she rather be here than being a conscript. While walking over to one of the ramps leading to the construction site, she heard a loud rustle.

With a turn to the right, she saw a figure with a head of a coati carrying iron greaves running toward the entrance. As it ran by two dwarves she screamed, "Why didn't you stop that thing!"

A fisherdwarf said, "The smithy can always make more." The farmer beside him shrugged and continued carrying a piece of wood. The fisherdwarf followed him soon after. Stinthad dropped the wood and ran after the coati figure. She stopped running as soon as she was walking on top of the one log thick walls they were on their way to.

It was a matter of seconds before the figure outran Stinthad. The thought of organizing a militia was daunting, but it began to look better than being just a conscript, construction worker, or anything else. For her, it shouldn't be a problem for the expedition leader to grant her request; she know she has some skill with an axe.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:40:40 am by 00112 »

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 11:14:17 pm »

I'll take Rith Groovetrumpet as a dorf. Keep his original name and everything, though.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:41:09 am »

Rith's all yours. After this, I'm going to try another updating style. The blocks are coming back and they aren't being nice. It was bad enough that I had to do some quick editing because of a pronoun failure on my part.

6-26-115

"Which one of you lot placed those log walls there!" Mebzuth almost dropped her pick when he saw the thin entrance.

A mooing cow squeezed in between Rith and the baxuite smelter. Stinthad shook her head and said, "Not me. That'll block the depot."

"The caravan is due to arrive within a month and I won't have starving dwarves because of a pair of logs!" The leader glanced around before placing both hands around her mouth. With a deep breath she screamed, "Somebody remove these logs!"

7-1-115 & 7-7-115

Days later, Stinthad came over by the entrance with a shovel. She lunged the iron shovel near the wooden makeshift wall and began digging around it.  "This isn't training," she mummer. Stinthad dug deeper pushing the shovel deeper to the ground until it was firmly under the wall. With a push, she levied the wall out of the ground; however, the shovel made a loud crack as the wall popped out of the ground.

Logem joined her with his own shovel. "Training ain't suppose to be exciting," he resorted. He walked over to the other wall. "If you want that kind, now it's the time to remind that leader."

"I suppose."

Shem Uzolidash looked below at the outpost's ground floor through the large opening ahead of him. Behind him, Mebzuth was tapping on her pick. "If they can manage, yeah a pair can come up here and use this area."

Mebzuth inhaled sharply and shook her head. "A pair? There's enough room for a whole squad to train up here."

At this, Shem coughed loudly. "You can't be serious. It'll take more time for the whole thing here to be covered."

"Time that we don't have," Mebzuth said, "Make room quick. The Diamond Priests will be training soon at the beginning of winter."

7-10-115 & 7-11-115
On cue, the caravan arrived without incident at dawn.

The metaldwarves ran around picking up spare and extra parts of iron armor that wasn't worn or used by the newly minted squad. They all took turns on the forge making iron goods to trade. Just as Erib finished with his mail shirt, Rith took his turn forging greaves. After pushing the smelted iron bars beside him, he snatched the hammer and started swinging at the bar that was already there. A swift swing after swing, the bar kept moving to the edge of the forge in which Rith pushed it back.

The merchants unloaded their goods in a quick fashion much like how Rith was shaping the iron. One of them stood by one of the caravan guards looking out for the first dwarf who would walk up to them to ask about doing business.