Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worktoes, a ☼MASTERWORK☼ Bloodline Game!  (Read 4623 times)

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Worktoes, a ☼MASTERWORK☼ Bloodline Game!
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:24:20 am »

I was browsing through the wiki the other day, I found the bloodline page.
And since the time I joined the forums, I noticed there aren't many
☼MASTERWORK☼ bloodline games.
This is the -teenth ☼MASTERWORK☼ fortress succession game
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~RULES~~
succession and documentary:
The next person on the list plays the fortress for 1 year, and has a week to do so.
then he/she has to upload it to DFFD and send me the link.
The link will be sent to the next player and posted on this topic.
Every player has to record the changes he made from the start point in notes (if you can try to record rough dates),
and send them to my email (melzerman64@gmail.com), I'll take care of the rest (or you can just send me your finished "diary" version).
game:
do whatever you want. you've got a whole year! ok, I know it's not that much but "don't be hasty", join if you got that referece!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Worktoes fortress is set in a warm climate with evil mountains directly to the east and a great ocean to the west. The site has multiple metals and flux, with a  river running through the whole length of the site. It's a savage land, it won't be easy to survive.

12th Slate, 251
      We have finally arrived! It looks like a pretty good area for a fortress - lush forests, murky pools, a river and lots of wildlife.
I took two miners, Mezbuth "Scout" and Mosus "Meph", the latter is a born weapon savant, Tekkud the wood cutter,  Thabum a craftsdwarf, and a doctor - Edem. I'm the broker
14th Slate, 251
      We setteled in a little. The miners finished digging the improvised moat around a formation of some murky pools. Tekkud has been working furiously clearing the area around the entrance.
15th Slate, 251
      The entrance area has been cleared of all trees, and the stairway has been deepened. The dirt under the entrance will be cleaned out, that spot seems great for a barracks
17th Slate, 251
      The dirt has been finally cleared, and since the mining process is taking a lot longer than I expected all supplies will be moved to the "moatee" (area under the entrance). Scout and his Meph have been slacking a little too much, and I will not accept that.
20th Slate, 251
      Luck has been with us so far. The staircase has been deepened and now stretches to the layer of solid stone. One of the soil layers is fire clay, and we have struck limonite. Unfortunately the digging of the farming zone has been slow due to complaints of miners about damp soil from the moat above.
25th Slate, 251
      The moat is almost filled completely with rain water, soon we'll be able to expand to the next pool. I don't like the idea of having the animals outside because of all the giant leopards loitering around, but we'll have to breach the caverns for the moss to start growing.
8th Felsite, 251
      Finally Scout and Meph finished mining the farm area. The farmers can now move in and start to grow delicious plump helmets and sweet pods.
24th Felsite, 251
     Nothing really happened this month. The miners have begun the digging of the farming storage, I hope this won't take as long as the previous project. I will wait for the first migrants to arrive before I start to dig the dining and bed room areas. Hopefully they will have a miner or at least a pick.
3rd Hematite, 251
      It's been raining for the past few days, and everybody has been complaining, I don't know if I can take it much longer. I ordered Tekkud to clear all trees within ten beards of the moat, we don't want any goblin scum jumping out of the trees and into our fortress.
All of the wood will be stored in the farming storage until a dedicated wood storage area is constructed.
16th Hematite, 251
      Migrants have arrived! Another seven! two gemworkers, an armorer, a fisherman, a couple of farmers and a bonecarver. They didn't have a miner though. They said that a caravan will arrive right before winter, I hope they're right.
24th Hematite, 251
     The longer I'm here the more used to it I get, and the days are getting shorter. The dining hall is being dug as I'm writing this, I decided theres no sense in waiting for another miner to arrive. He'd be probably slacking like Scout and Meph.
5th Malachite, 251
     The first batch of our own plump wine was brewed yesterday, it tasted delicious. The farmers are doing their job pretty well, our fortress is always full on food and alcochol.
17th Galena, 251
      Scout proved himself to be more than a lazy miner, he dug most of the dining hall by himself, without Meph. Meph is the militia commander, but I don't think he has a lot to do, since there's only 14 of us, not nearly enough for the smallest squad
1st Limestone, 251
     Not much happened in the past two months. More migrants arrived, and they brought a ranger. The animals started reproducing. I'm considering slaughtering the kitties to prevent a catsplosion, but I don't think that's a problem. yet.
29th Limestone
     The summer is ending, the trees are turning red, and the ranger is out hunting unicorns. The dining hall turned into more of a masons workshop. The next project is going to be the housing and actually turning the dining hall into a DINING HALL.
11th Sandstone, 251
     Disaster struck! Due to my miscalculation the dining hall and the main stairway are flooded. We got every body out of there and most of the masonry equipment. Luckily nobody was hurt. The only thing i can do is listen to the water flowing down the staircase and covering the smoothed floors and walls in muck
12th Sandstone, 251
     I told the miners to dig drainage moats connecting to the main one, but not to pierce the other pools. The only thing left to do is see if the water level in the moats equalizes and if we can still save the hall
13th Sandstone, 251
     The good news is the water isn't rising at such a fast pace anymore, I don't think we have to block the staircase on the top floor, and the water level in the hall is still low enough for it to evaporate.
14th Sandstone, 251
     The water level rose slightly over the night and it's to high, it won't evaporate. The miners dug out a room to help lower the water level.
16th Sandstone, 251
      Finally we were able to block off the main hole. The water in the dining hall should evaporate in the next few months.
20th Sandstone, 251
      We replaced all of the walls in the moatee with jet and wood to prevent further mistakes.
24th Sandstone, 251
      After checking for any leaks in the masonry, the miners dug channels connecting the moat to the river. The moat was once again full
28th Sandstone, 251
      The traders arrived today, they were surprised to hear our story. We didn't have much to trade so we traded some fish barrels in exchange for plants and glass.
7th Timber, 251
      There was a kobold thief attack today. That mindless fool didn't get anything or anyone. It was slain by a lucky hit by an unexperienced spearman.
1st Moonstone, 251
      Finally winter. I hope we have enough food and booze to last a while, and I hope there aren't going to be any tantrums.
10th Moonstone, 251
      We've made an artificial reservoir due west to the fort entrance, I have no idea when it will come in handy but I'm sure that it will.
23rd Moonstone
      Our supplies of food and booze are are slowly running out. If we ration the food it should last until spring.
13th Opal
      It looks like a wasteland outside all the trees have no leaves, the grass is dead and there's no animals
30th Opal
      The water in the Hall is almost gone, we'll star reclaiming it as soon as spring. It's going to be hard to clean all that mud and slime out of there, but we'll manage.
15th Obsidian
      Those bearded fools never listen, never! I rationed the food and alcohol to 2 meals a day and a barrel of booze for a week. But of course those guys drank 19 barrels of the stuff in  less than a month! and the food, it's almost gone!
21st Obsidian
      We're out of booze and there's almost no food. It's two weeks until spring hits. Then the farmers will collect whatever plants survived the winter and hopefully there will be something edible.

This is the site as of 15th Moonstone. note the artificial reservoir to the left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players in order are:
Melzer
Meph
chaosqear
omg_scout
Ozfer
flameboy99
spriptorex
Asgarus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Worktoes, spring of 252:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7377
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if anybody wants to join, just send me your nick.
the list of players is updated every satruday @ 20:00 UTC+1 time (Sarajevo, Skopje, Warsaw, Zagreb)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:33:51 am by Melzer »

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worktoes, a ☼MASTERWORK☼ Bloodline Game!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »

I'll volunteer for this.  I'll be the one to introduce !!FUN!! with my lack of skill :P.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »

This is nice, but please post some screenshots as well, they make it more lively! I think everyone would like to see the flood.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:34:09 pm »

I think that I will get in the list. I've only played Masterwork 1-2 times, and that was adventure mode, so expect MAJOR idiocity from me. Like when I thought the water drake pursuing me was a foe I could take care of.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

scriptorex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:59:22 am »

I would like to be on the list. I have played masterwork I am a little new to DF in general and only play Orcfortress currently. This will be my first succession fort and I am eager to go!
P.S. Thanks for a great mod Meph!!!

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:26:04 am »

This is nice, but please post some screenshots as well, they make it more lively! I think everyone would like to see the flood.
It's a little to late, because there's only mud left in the hall. I'll try to get some screens

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:54:57 am »

I think it's time for me to join a succession fort, too.

Count me in :)

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:15:45 pm »

Off to a lovely start, it seems.
Fun stuff.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:40:28 pm »

So, when do we start? Meth, are you aware that the thread has moved?;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:16:54 pm »

Yes, I do have the save and make an inventory atm. My name is not Meth btw :P  Screenshots are coming. There is also the small fact that I was dwarved as a female miner, instead of a military dwarf, so I redwarved myself as the only legion dwarf in the fort, Azlag Meph Salvewhirling. I hope thats ok, because I specifically asked to be dwarved as military.

We currently have 2 dorfed members, Scout and Meph:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:31:59 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:31:03 pm »

Introduction of the dwarves:

Melzer
The overseer of this fort, Melzer, surprisingly did not dwarf any dwarf for himself, so this fort has no apparent leadership.

Scout: Miner
She is a relaxed dwarf, and likes art and natural beauty, but does not handle stress well. Oddly enough, she likes landmines for their explosions. I think its because the mines also cant handle stress well. Her two best friends are her miner girlyfriend Mosus and the doctor of the fort, Edem. These three girls hang out a lot together it seems.

The only thing she really hates is Ikntak Hawklancer, a farmer hillybilly who dislikes art and intellectual discussions. He likes to collect rabbit ears... weird guy.

Meph: Legionnaire
Married to: Dakost Armoryindignant, the clothier
One kid: Ast. Only kid in fortress.
Prayes to the goddesses of games and writing.
Highest skill, besides Fighting is Herablism.

Meph, the military leader of the fort, is a gentle soul, a good student that believes in the goddess of writing. He is very confident, but takes time for his decisions. He has a wife and kid, the only child in the entire fortress and has taken up playing games with him. He has no friends besides his family, being focussed on his job: Guarding the fort. In his freetimes he follows his hobby, herbalism. Imagine a tough legionnaire that enjoys books and games, has a happy family and runs around picking flowers. He is a lover, not a fighter... but also a fighter, so dont get any wrong ideas.

His son Ast is the creator of the only artefact, the distant caves*, and a legendary stonecrafter.

*The distant caves is a set of figurines, a waterdragon killing a goblin and showing an orc killing a dark strangler. I imagine the kid Ast created his own set of action figures... showing the best craftsdwarfship the fortress has seen, raising him to legendary stonecrafting instantly.

One fine day in mid-winter 251
There was trouble in the meeting area. Someone was yelling. Yelling quite loudly. The dwarves of the fort gathered around and what started as a small commotion encompassed the entire fort by now. 22 dwarves standing in a half-circle around one other. One of the newer migrants, bringing wife and kid. One that has not done any noticeable work, just walking around the surface picking flowers, reading books, all those un-dwarfy things. He is the one yelling. His name... is Meph.

"LOOK AT US!"
"THIS FORTRESS IS A SHAME, IF I CAN EVEN CALL IT A FORTRESS"

"This settlement that lured us here with promises of food and labor, fight and glory... look at it. What do we have? Nothing. We dont even have a competent bookkeeper to count our nothing. I tell you what we have. 23 idle dwarves of 23. NO ONE IS WORKING. We have barely any drink left, a bit of food, we only have 10 beds in a dorm, FOR ALL 23 OF US. How should my wife and son to life here? Everything here disgusts me."

Spoiler: Current fortress jobs (click to show/hide)

"The surface is not safe, our fort is not safe. We have been spotted by a kobold thief and you know what that means. If one thief comes today, an army will follow in a year. And if I look at what this fort has done in the past year, I say to you this. WE WILL ALL BE DEAD IN A YEAR! We have no defenses, no wall, no doors, no hatches. No army and no equipment. HELL, OUR MILITARY COMMANDER IS A MINER. What should she do, wack people with her pick? No offense Mosus, but you cant carry around both mining gear and military gear. I will not have my family live in the dirt just to die in blood. I have served in the Legion, I know what to do. I AM TAKING COMMAND. ANYONE THAT THINKS HE CAN STOP ME SHOULD COME FORWARD NOW, OR BE SILENT."

None of the dwarves came forward. After all, who would argue with a Legionnaire? And his child made the only artefact of the fort... maybe Meph could lead the fort for a while, at least till things got better. He was not wrong, the fortress has not a lot to show for... and thus Meph Salvewhirling became Overseer.

My usual starting rant:
23 of 23 dwarves idle. WTF.
10 beds, no other furniture. WTF.
No moat, bridge, wall, door or hatch to lock the fortress. WTF
No military gear, armor or weapons or traps. WTF
GIANT farms, big enough to feed 200 dwarves, but only 1 farmer and next to no seeds.
No competent bookkeeper.
Militia commander is a miner. That wont work.
Golden bag of loot lying in front of the fort in open space. Will get stolen by next thief.
No rooms for anyone, just one dorm with 10 beds.
TONS (100-200) raw fish, but no one cleaning them. And that with little food otherwise.

"Ok, the very first thing we must do is take in account what we have. A tour of the fortress, so to speak."

"Yes, take a big long look at that. Empty surface, water, empty farms, wood, empty room. Thats our fort. 23 dwarves, 18 animals (2 cats, some buffalos, some dogs) and no industry to speak of. Or living arrangements. First order of business well be to make sure we survive. Ignore the farms, start gathering plants from the wild and somebody start to clean the fish. We have close to 200 units of raw fish... And we need to patch our entry, you and you, build a wall, you take that bag of loot inside, and somebody station the dogs further out. How can they warn us of an ambush, if the ambush is at the stairs already?"

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:33:44 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:08 pm »

First things first:
I appointed a new militia commander, the legionnaire.
I appointed a new militia captian, the talented sniper, for the ranged squad.
I appointed the doctor to be a psychiatrist as well.
I appointed a preacher.
I appointed a sheriff and hammerer.
I set the bookkeeper to highest precision.
I unforbid all forbid items.
I reassigned labors for all dwarves. We have 2 designated miners, a jeweler, a fisher and a woodcutter/carpenter. All other do all labors.
I designated zones for drinking, fishing and new animal pastures.

Here are the mountainhomes:

This is our embark:

And this is what is killing all the nice FPS: (constant flow from lake to waterfall)

I also did some digging in the legends mode, to see what kind of world we are playing. Turns out that this is a normal worldgen. All frostgiants are stuck on an island btw, but thats not the problem. To quote myself from the manual:

All you have to do to run this mod is this:

Run Dwarf Fortress.exe.
Gen a new world using the adv. world gen with the included templates.
Play.

and:
This Mod alters DF in so many ways, that the normal world generation process is not reliable anymore. For the best results please use one of the many templates that this packet includes.

The point is, the broken fortress and the waterflow I can fix... but the caverns, missing creatures, civs and inorganics (because the normal worldgen cant handle all the additions) I cannot fix. I dont know if I should even continue playing...  ??? FPS is at 70-80, but usually I have solid 150 with so few creatures on the map.

Question: Was this game started with ascii? Because some of the inorganics look strange while using the phoebus tileset.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:10:59 am by Meph »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 12:13:48 am »

Interesting waterways there. It's too bad about all that Masterwork stuff not being in.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 01:42:14 am »

What kind of stuff is missing?  Both turns are entertaining to read so far :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 02:27:51 am »

I dont know whats missing, but when looking with reveal through the layers everything looks... odd. I'll continue for now, having beaten a dark strangler siege and making some basic things. Still no automatons or frost giants, so the big enemies are missing in the end.
Pages: [1] 2