Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Sniper named gordon.  (Read 6106 times)

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Binary logic. Invaders=true, MagmaPump=True
    • View Profile
A Sniper named gordon.
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:30:04 am »

Hey bay12 forum cruzzers, just wanted to post a story about a dwarf i currently have.
 Brief history:Gordon was a Crossbow Dwarf in my old fortress, but an early goblin ambush forced me to abaondon. After years of wandering the jungle, Gordon the crossbow dwarf showed up at my new fortress. He was already a talented archer, so he became the commander of my milita and started training some  new recruits. alas this new land is plagued by gigantic birds, and life expectancy for a recruit is low...

Quote from: Creamcorn on March 12, 2010, 04:01:25 pm
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Sniper named gordon.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:31:22 am »

...Gordon surveyed the pile of rabble lined before him, the new drafties. Every one more worthless then the last. "
Straighten up soldier! Your a cobalt now!Gordon barks at the fromer furnace operator.
She quickly jerks to attention, unsure of of how she is even supposed to be standing
Gordon lets out a sigh, knowing that the fate of the fortress could someday lie in the hands of these incompetent fools.
"LISTEN UP,everyone of you now belongs to me..." Gordon paused to let that sink in, enjoying the way it sounded.
"You wouldnt be my first choice, but your all we got. So everyone grab a crossbow and lets see you hit those targets."
Gordon stood back. it was painfull to watch them try to load their weapons, but he wasnt about to help,"let them learn the hard way, like he had to." besides his arms were still sore from swinging his bronze crossbow, and the battle was days ago... but that was nothing compared to how it felt to lose his last squad, all hand picked men. all slaughtered by birds normally no bigger then a chikkadee, but a whole flock of them came. and they were all 20x the size of a dwarf...they ate us like worms...

Still he could hear the chirp of those dam birds, that haunting haunting chirp... the sound of his men being pecked to peices, pulled apart... and the screams, no the cries of his commrades.

by the time the second squad showed up gordon was the only one still on his feet, still swinging that crossbow of his, thought the ammo was long spent. He kept fighting allowing the one surving member of his former team to escape. Even then Rovod barely made it out alive. His right shoulder streaming blood where his arm used to be

"Fucking birds", thought gordon, taking a long pull from his flask, rum trickling through his very long beard.

AAMBUSH!!!
The frightened shout snaps grodon back to reality, and he lookes up to the rampart guards.

"Its goblins sir! with crossbows."
"Dam, looks like were gunna have us a fire fight. Allright boys trainings gunna have to wait. Follow me, do as i say, and you might live to see tomorow...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:57:09 pm by !!Urist Unfortune!! »
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:33:15 am »

tomrow ill post the results of the goblin ambush, if interest is high enuff...?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:48:15 am »

Interesting enough! Screenshots would help too, but not mandatory for a good story.  ;D

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:26:07 pm »

ok so ive been playing for a while, but im still a newb at the forums thing. How do i go about getting and posting screen shots? help would be greatly appreciated!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:43:39 pm »

1. Can use imageshack to host the images.
2. I suggest proofreading your stuff. Good, but the spelling errors can detract from written brilliance.

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:46:15 pm »

haha thanks. ill try, but im not the greatest at spelling lol. ill do a lil editing for future readers

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 04:15:30 pm »

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/ramparts.jpg/

ok so if this works, this will be the ramparts of fort, with both archer squads stationed

EDIT ok next time ill zoom in a lil more

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 08:58:24 pm »

The four recruits, Reg, Mistem, Rimtar, and Monom just stood there white as ghosts.

"NOW!!" Shouted Gordon

That got them moving. They almost fall in pile as they all bump into each other, scared to find out what happens if they make their commander angry.

Gordon  races up the steps  to the ramparts to join up with his other squad.

"There! moving through the trees." Cries Endok, the militia captain, pointing franticaly to the northwest.

Gordon scans the surrounding forest where the captain is pointing, and what he see's make his blood boil; Three dwarven woodcutter are running for their lives as a band of goblin crossbowmen use them as target practice.

"Sir! we have to raise the drawbridge!!!" Endok yells as he slids a -steel bolt- into the mechanism of his copper crossbow.

"Not yet! Not untill every dwarf is saftely inside!" Gordon barks back.

They all waited on the walls, crossbows held ready.
The woodcutters were in full flight, headed for the drawbride. A swarm of green close behind, firing off scavenged ammunition.

"Everyone choose a target and hold it! And no one fires untill i give the word!" A look of determination and anger twisting gordons features.

Moments before the last woodcutter crosses, the order is given to raise the bridge. "PULL IT!!!" Shouts Gordon.

Endok the captain opens the dolomite hatch cover and yells to the dwarves below "PULL IT!!"

The dwarves below repeat the same words down the stairs into the workshops "PULL IT!!" "Pull It" "pull it" The command is heard echoing throughout the fortress on its way to where the lever was built; The one place there is always as least one lazy drunken idler... The dining room. And sure enough, one drunken bastard manages to put down the plumphelmets for one second, and pulls the lever.

The fortress is filled with the sound of stone sliding on stone. Gordon smiles as the bridges raises moments before the goblins can reach it.

"FIRE!!" Gordon screams, letting loose a -steel bolt-.
 He didnt know if he hit his target, he was already reloading as the rest of his men rained death down upon a beleaguered, and confused goblin squad.

The grass was soaked red with goblin blood. Gordon watched as a cat was smashed by a goblin mace, teeth and gore flying everywhere! Moments later the same goblin was laying 10 paces away, his life draining out throught multiple arrow holes. The final goblins signal the retreat.

When the massacre was over, and the last of the goblins had either stopped breathing or crawled away, Gordon could finally take tally of his men. And suprisingly not a single casualty, no one was even hurt... (well unless you include the cat) Monom the recruit even managed to get a kill   

"Hmmmm These new recruits might not be so usless after all" mused Gordon...

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:17:57 am »

23rd of Galena:
"How many more men will I lead to death" Gordon thought as he counted the dead. His heart was still beating, his every sense alive. He had seen his fair share of battles in the last 6 years. but the adrenaline always hit him the same.

Looking around he saw Monom dead. 9 arrows in his corpse ,and various stab wounds. Poor son of a bitch. He was one brave kid, and if you dont believe it ask the fucking kobold theif, lying next to him, with his skull caved in.

Rimtar's screaming in agony, laying on his stomach, with an arrow protruding from his spine. He'll likely never walk again. IF he survies. Gordon watched as the doctors dragged him away. almost afraid to take tally of the rest of his men.

But this was his job. these were his men. Continuing to the west side of the fort where the fighting was the most intense Gordon is almost sick. Dead dwarves litter the forest. the ground is slick with blood.   http://imageshack.us/f/43/koboldambush.jpg/

Reg's was the next corpse he saw. In him, more arrows then Gordon had ever seen in a corpse. A long trail of blood and vommit streched behind him. The doctors would later tell Gordon, they "removed 32 arrows before burial, including shots to the lungs and stomach." Yet some how he had managed to crawl a good 50 yards before dieing of blood loss. Tough mutherfucker.
Teeth were showing through Reg's left cheek, where a kobold spear had torn it open.

And then he saw Mistem... the last of his new recruits. Although he was only identifiyable by the clothes he wore. Where Mistems head should have been there was only bits of skull and teeth amidst a red slurry of flesh and brain. A kobold spearman had gotten him down and stabbed him repeatedly in the head. http://imageshack.us/f/85/headpaste.jpg/

Rovod stood by gordons side. His one armed compainion. The only dwarf gordon saved from the birds.

"looks like we'll be needen some new recruits again, eh sir?"

Gordon lets out a long sigh... "Fuck me"
"Wheres solon? if his ass is sleeping again ill fucking kill em!"

Solon shouts down from the ramparts "Up here sir!, Im with Endok and his boys."

Gordon looks up to see Endok, his captain, still alive. Thats one good fucking thing to happen today. " ENDOK, Status Report!" Shouts Gordon.

Endok shouts back. "They got two of us sir! But Reg, Momuz, Alath, and Stinthad are still ready for action."
"However they got your boy Solon in the leg, he aint walking no where."

"Fuck! Alright, Endok, you and your boys are with me, were reforming into one unit."  http://imageshack.us/f/849/squadr.jpg/

8 men. Thats it. Only 8 survivers including himself and Endok his captain.
"Ill Have to start making some hand to hand weapons, I Wont see anymore of my men butchered." Gordon reflects back on the battle, it all hapened so fast... it, it was a trap...

The drawbridge was down. Humans were in town trading.
Two Kobold thieves tried to make it in... but they were just the distraction. Gordon now knew.
He and all his men rushed them. Thats when they noticed the kobold ambush in the west woods. Arrows started raining down.
Gordon ordered fire returned.
Arrows started coming from behind, a second ambush arrived from the east!
Whats more, the archers in the west were reinforced by a squad of spear weilding Kobolds!
Gordon and his squad were pinned down in cross fire, trying to hold off spears, while Endok and his men fired from the ramparts.

After that the world went red... the next thing gordon remembers is taking tally of his men, soaked in blood, Holding a warped crossbow covered in brains. It was then that he realized he was missing a finger. Oh well time to move on.

Gordon considers his remaing men.  http://imageshack.us/f/513/gordono.jpg/
Rovod - One armed, Been around since the gaint birds of 55.    http://imageshack.us/f/824/rovod.jpg/
Solon  - unable to walk    http://imageshack.us/f/85/solon.jpg/
Endok - Former captain,Quickest strongest woman ever, Been around since the old fort http://imageshack.us/f/607/endok.jpg/
Reg    - Her speed and strength is second only to Endok.    http://imageshack.us/f/96/regda.jpg/
Momuz- She needs to make less friends, we're here to fight and die.   http://imageshack.us/f/832/momuz.jpg/
Alath  - Been with me since the old fort, known him 5 years. Never tired  http://imageshack.us/f/85/alath.jpg/
Stinthad- From the Original 7, lost a foot to birds   http://imageshack.us/f/18/stinthad.jpg/

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:56:58 pm by !!Urist Unfortune!! »

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:27:10 am »

Comments or suggestions?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 04:07:11 am »

When you add images, you can use a direct link with image plug in tags while you type up a piece so we don't have to go to the site to see the images.

Also: DAYUM. Didn't think Kobolds were that tough! Certainly wrecked Gordon's shit eh?

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 05:34:05 am »

use Img.ie for pics.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »

I think it was an ambush that hit the crossbowdwarves, correct? Or can Kobolds not ambush?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 12:31:37 pm »

I think it was an ambush that hit the crossbowdwarves, correct? Or can Kobolds not ambush?

I think it was an ambush, but still impressive for kobolds to cause this much damage.
Pages: [1] 2