Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noise propogation and bedroom design  (Read 1523 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noise propogation and bedroom design
« on: February 19, 2024, 05:29:10 pm »

Noise: In previous versions, separating sleeping areas from workshops was important.  I see in the wiki that in the last pre-steam version, workshops didn't generate noise.  Does anyone know if this is still true in the steam version?  Is the job list of things that produce noise still accurate? 

Spacing: Do dwarves still not care about climbing over furniture or other dwarves to get to their bed? (Or being climbed over?)

(The mouse-based interface is kind of driving me nuts, more so than the graphics.  Switching into ascii does show that the graphics are really distorting my concept of space use, though.  By a lot.  I prefer the ascii, but not sure I can play with it with the mouse interface xP)

Also, is it just me, or does the mouse scroll bar feel backwards for moving up-down to anyone else?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Noise propogation and bedroom design
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 12:58:15 am »

Anecdotally, I haven't seen any thoughts about being awakened due to noise in .50 so I'm inclined to believe workshop noise hasn't been added back.  Or it's very short range if it is a thing.

As far as I know, dwarves can still climb over furniture to get to their beds, just as before.  I like to imagine that furniture doesn't take up literally the full tile, so there's space to squeeze past if needed.

Can't say that the mouse scrolling feels backward to me, at least.  Two-finger touch scrolling on a touchpad can feel that way in general if you're not used to it, but that's a different matter.  The only issue I have with scrolling is that since the SDL2 update, I can't get touch scrolling to work right on my laptop no matter what I do with the key bindings.  It jerks and scrolls upward for both types of scrolling.  Works fine on my desktop with a mouse wheel.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 05:50:17 am »

I prefer the ascii, but not sure I can play with it with the mouse interface xP)

Come back to 0.47.05 with DFHack... it beckons to you...
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 11:11:07 am »

Can't say that the mouse scrolling feels backward to me, at least.  Two-finger touch scrolling on a touchpad can feel that way in general if you're not used to it, but that's a different matter.  The only issue I have with scrolling is that since the SDL2 update, I can't get touch scrolling to work right on my laptop no matter what I do with the key bindings.  It jerks and scrolls upward for both types of scrolling.  Works fine on my desktop with a mouse wheel.

Rolling the mouse wheel towards me feels like it should go up, not down. (And down should be rolling the wheel the other way).  My brain associates switching levels more with zooming in (down) and out (up), where roll towards me is zoom out, even if it's 'scroll down' on a text page.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 06:59:00 am »

Ha, the way I describe why Invert Y is right for me, is imagining placing my hand on top of someone's head.
If I move my hand forward, they look down.
If I move my hand backward, they look up :D

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 12:22:08 am »

Noise: In previous versions, separating sleeping areas from workshops was important.  I see in the wiki that in the last pre-steam version, workshops didn't generate noise.  Does anyone know if this is still true in the steam version?  Is the job list of things that produce noise still accurate? 
I don't think there ever was any noise mechanic in any version I played. It was suggested to separate workshops and not chop trees over bedrooms, but none of that ever actually did anything.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.