Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944863 times)

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8445 on: December 22, 2014, 10:29:36 pm »

Really,

if the product is not in a state you where you find it enjoyable, do not part with your money.

If you buy promises, don't be surprised when you receive an empty box.

Well, you don't have to be happy with the empty box.
I'm reminded of the old cliché about kids enjoying empty boxes more then what was inside, but I don't know how that fits into the metaphor.

metaphors aside, empty boxes are hella-fun. one of my fondest memories is that of the rare refrigerator box, that thing was spacious enough to become X-Mansion and sky-rocket me to through the echelons of neighborhood elementary school-goers. Everyone wanted to get all upside in my box

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: December 22, 2014, 10:41:04 pm »

My thing was grass and dirt imagined as jungle and desert. I liked running around the school yard staring at it and making up histories about what would be happening in the jungles and deserts.
There was also that time I thought I was able to control the weather. Weird thing was, I think I was about twelve when this happened.
I was a strange child.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: December 22, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »

And hey, at least they're not Sony. After that whole fiasco I don't think I'll ever buy a Sony product that isn't second hand.
Something wrong with Sony? O_o

Also I'm not getting the Starbound patch on Steam for some reason? Or...was there no patch released (meaning Stable patch)?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: December 22, 2014, 10:54:22 pm »

The patch is on unstable. You have go to its properties (beta participation tab I believe) and set it to update to Unstable.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: December 23, 2014, 12:18:40 am »

Really,

if the product is not in a state you where you find it enjoyable, do not part with your money.

If you buy promises, don't be surprised when you receive an empty box.

Well, you don't have to be happy with the empty box.
I'm reminded of the old cliché about kids enjoying empty boxes more then what was inside, but I don't know how that fits into the metaphor.

Modding?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: December 23, 2014, 12:29:06 am »

Wouldn't it be the Starbound website?

Edit: Or Steam, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:32:28 am by Elephant Parade »

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: December 23, 2014, 12:47:01 am »

Yeah, some high up Sony Excecutive incompany email accounts got hacked and leaked. They were not pretty. The current CEO is... not exactly a sterling silver individual.

And then there's the whole caving in to North Korea thing. That was kind of pathetic.

They've even hired a scandal adviser, although their choice is... interesting.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: December 23, 2014, 01:02:22 am »

I mostly just hate Sony because they don't encrypt anything, and basic encryption is, like, the easiest thing ever.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: December 23, 2014, 02:10:43 am »

Yeah, some high up Sony Excecutive incompany email accounts got hacked and leaked. They were not pretty. The current CEO is... not exactly a sterling silver individual.

And then there's the whole caving in to North Korea thing. That was kind of pathetic.

They've even hired a scandal adviser, although their choice is... interesting.

This kind of thing shouldn't surprise anyone. The corporate world is full of scum, because you have to be scum to survive in the corporate world. If you aren't scum, someone scummier than you will eat you and/or your company.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8454 on: December 23, 2014, 02:37:04 am »

It was the price of a cheap dinner for me, and I've gotten enjoyment out of it so far and am excited about the features they are adding.

The price of a cheap dinner? I'm curious about where you live that dinner costs so much. For me, it was the cost of about two days worth of meals. Still, I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, and if they ever do release another stable update, I will surely get many more happy hours, so it was worth it to me. I'm trying to ignore the horrible community management and just enjoy the game on its own merit, much as I can enjoy Ender's Game despite the complete douchebag who wrote it.

My current opinions on early access are pretty well summed up in this Extra Credits video. I still don't regret buying Starbound, but in the future, I will definitely only buy early access titles that look like I'll enjoy them enough in the state they're in for it to be worth my money even if they never update the game again.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: December 23, 2014, 03:04:10 am »

Chucklefish isn't evil or anything; they just promised more than they could deliver.
Isn't there a saying about confusing evil with incompetence or something?

*went and looked*

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: December 23, 2014, 09:01:31 am »

Well, It's unstable.
So servers might be prone to crashes or lagging more often than in single player.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: December 23, 2014, 09:04:16 am »

I think a more apt metaphor for this game and it's fans are "you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink".  Everytime someone lists a dissatisfaction with this game it's defenders belittle either the opinion, or the person who lists it, whether it's on the steam forums, their home page forums, or reddit.  And it doesn't seem to matter how much documented proof there is of promises, or shadiness, or outright refusal to acknowledge the past.  That's fine, you like the game, and we all have things we enjoy we will blindly and faithfully defend.  It's human.

But whether or not most software development meets their expected goals and features or not is a moot argument, because most software development doesn't accept purchases(this is what they are, not donations) until they have a completed product.  They jump through the hoops to get funded through more traditional means(through publishers and producers) and are held to a standard.  Early Access was a good idea, ruined by unscrupulous hucksters...just like any good idea in human history.  As it gets harder for real talent to get through the door we only really have ourselves to blame for supporting the current companies which engage these practices, and Chucklefish isn't the only company reflecting this, nor are they even the worst.  It should be telling though that Tiyuri owns 100% stock in CF and refuses stock options to his employees and doesn't need to satisfy investors with them either.  It really is no wonder really why Bartwe abandoned ship, and his new game looks amazing, for a Minecraft clone.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: December 23, 2014, 11:46:16 am »

Could somebody make a new thread? The person who posted this one is banned, so we're never, ever going to get any OP changes. "We have lift off" seems a bit silly, since the game has been out for almost a year, and servers can't be added to the OP.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:48:52 am by Elephant Parade »

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: December 23, 2014, 12:25:34 pm »

his new game looks amazing, for a Minecraft clone.

Can you link to this, please? I can't seem to find it on google and I'm interested.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565