Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944973 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8415 on: December 17, 2014, 10:11:02 pm »

Ya. I think the biggest downfall of early access is that game developing seems to have long periods of boring background work that you never see with normally produced games. It's like, a game is in development for 3-4 years from a big studio with tonnes of people, but if we get early access right in the alpha stages, we get upset if we don't get a v1.0 in a year. This is why I avoid early access now too.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #8416 on: December 17, 2014, 10:45:57 pm »

Hell, I don't care about short-term releases (especially not rushed 1.0s) but damn if some devs don't even show signs of life for months at a time.
This is one of those cases where no news *isn't* good news.

Beyond that basic interest in hearing *something* about the game's development on a regular basis (weekly+), even something short and generic like "troubleshooting inconsistent placement of Florian furniture", I also want at least somewhat regular (weekly? bi-weekly?) news on the programming itself, as opposed to only hearing about art assets or marketing efforts for two months straight.

Perhaps I'm requiring (for my satisfaction with the purchase) too much, but I really don't think so, since even a one or two person team can manage at least a post a week. (see DF's Dev Feed & Factorio's Friday Facts :D )
Perhaps. Perhaps there's just been too many passes given out by the overall gaming fanbase that has allowed poor development efforts to succeed.

In the end, this is merely my own viewpoint, but it's the viewpoint of someone completely uninterested in buying further CF products due to the path Starbound's development and PR have taken.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: December 17, 2014, 10:52:20 pm »

They had almost daily blogs. Nothing substantial, but not completely devoid of life.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: December 17, 2014, 11:22:12 pm »

Check their website. They were the opposite of 'no news'.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: December 17, 2014, 11:50:39 pm »

Check their website. They were the opposite of 'no news'.
No news = good news. Therefore they were bad news?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: December 19, 2014, 07:02:02 pm »

It seems like the Unstable version have been updated.
Made me a Novakid (no mods installed) so that's confirmed.
Now to wait until it moves on to Stable. (Or just play on the unstable if you cannot wait (like me).)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: December 19, 2014, 09:20:27 pm »

It seems like the Unstable version have been updated.
Made me a Novakid (no mods installed) so that's confirmed.
Now to wait until it moves on to Stable. (Or just play on the unstable if you cannot wait (like me).)
At this point I've waited so long that a little more waiting won't hurt me.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: December 19, 2014, 10:56:56 pm »

Does anyone who played nightly/current unstable know how to actually interact with the Penguin Bay? It implies they have the quest item needed after repairing the hull, but attempting to interact with it seems to do nothing.
Spoiler: Spoiler maaybe? (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Nevermind. The "quest item" didn't have anything to do with Penguin Bay. Said penguin bay still doesn't do anything when it looks like it should, though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:56:23 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: December 19, 2014, 11:04:35 pm »

Does anyone who played nightly/current unstable know how to actually interact with the Penguin Bay? It implies they have the quest item needed after repairing the hull, but attempting to interact with it seems to do nothing.
Spoiler: Spoiler maaybe? (click to show/hide)

check deserts for the tar scapes.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: December 20, 2014, 05:17:56 am »

This is it. The moment I've been waiting for. Now's my chance!

*transforms into a giant robot powered by the human spirit, and ques a 2 hour download*

A question for those of you who have gone ahead- how stable would you say unstable is..? I've recently discovered the wonders of permadeath, and find myself unable to enjoy... well, anything, without the risk of losing all my progress from a single misstep (Well, at least I know that's lava now!). I would not, however, derive the same pleasure from meeting an untimely death by bugs.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: December 20, 2014, 08:54:26 pm »

How can I fix my FTL? The horse says I need to go to the gate. Is it the FTL fuel you can buy there?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:00:53 pm by majikero »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:56 pm »

It's not the fuel. Just do all the quests, and it should be obvious when it comes up.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: December 20, 2014, 09:48:13 pm »

Dammit how do I bottle my coffee?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: December 20, 2014, 10:11:50 pm »

You don't. You just give the mug/whatever to the person who asked for it.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: December 21, 2014, 12:50:53 am »

You turn in the coffee as a liquid for the first quest, then turn in a glass mug for the second quest iirc, though you can make coffee in cup form using coffee + milk at the cooking table.  (i'm pretty sure you can drink it straight up as a liquid, though i haven't tried)

How to brew the beans: use the coffee machine in the outpost, I haven't found any coffee machines anywhere else
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 565