Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944697 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8355 on: December 15, 2014, 12:54:16 am »

Nope.
Edge of Space is from "Handyman Studios" and published by "Reverb Publishing", while Starbound is by Chucklefish.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: December 15, 2014, 01:16:00 am »

Nope.
Edge of Space is from "Handyman Studios" and published by "Reverb Publishing", while Starbound is by Chucklefish.
And Terraria is from ReLogic, but a lot of the Terraria team worked on Starbound.  So...?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: December 15, 2014, 01:25:45 am »

I can't find any matches on the two websites' "team" pages (Edge of Space and Starbound) but that could be due to the Edge of Space website seemingly not listing former team members, if any. Still, that's hardly "the same people."
Why do you say that the same people did Edge of Space?
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: December 15, 2014, 01:29:27 am »

Nope.
And Terraria is from ReLogic, but a lot of the Terraria team worked on Starbound.  So...?
So, they answered the question.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: December 15, 2014, 01:43:03 am »

Because Terraria and Starbound suffered the same problems - hype leading to a 'pretty okay' release, promises of the future, and then taking forever to release something that looks like it should have been the original release.

Moreover, Edge of Space has "official Terraria content" which makes me understandably nervous, as well as looking as much like a Starbound clone as the dozens of Minecraft clones that cropped up... same stuff different configuration.  The chain goes, Terraria did things.  Terraria team split a bit, and made Starbound.  Edge of Space looks VERY similar to Starbound, and ALSO has Terraria content.  You understand this looks like the same thing repeated.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: December 15, 2014, 01:50:12 am »

That's true, but I fail to see how having "official Terraria content" means it's made by the same people. All it really signifies is that it's A.) Similar enough to be able to have said content, and B.), that the people behind Terraria and the people behind Edge of Space are on good terms. You don't have to have the same people from the original on your team to make a clone.

It's really just a marketing thing. People who really like Terraria can see the "official Terraria content" banner and check Edge of Space out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: December 15, 2014, 02:17:18 am »

I've played Edge of Space and trust me... you have nothing to worry about as Edge Of Space is nothing like Terraria... Or Starbound.

Think of it as more of an RPG where instead of leveling up your character, which you do, you level up his Ikea Catalog.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: December 15, 2014, 05:55:17 am »

I can fuel my FTL star ship with coal.
I love this game.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: December 15, 2014, 10:40:26 am »

Funny, you guys focus on Edge of Space but ignore Signs of Life, which of the 3 games has the best user review ratio.

And as to to the Terraria team splitting and making Starbound....only one member of the Starbound team was also on the Terraria team.  That was Tiyuri, and it wasn't till he left to create CF/Starbound that we saw the post 1.0 updates to Terraria and the game flesh out into what it was meant to be.  So that explains why both Terraria and Starbound suffer from "Because Terraria and Starbound suffered the same problems - hype leading to a 'pretty okay' release, promises of the future, and then taking forever to release something that looks like it should have been the original release." though you're only half right in that assessment.  Quit trying to spin it like Starbound is the great brainchild of the Terraria team.  It isn't.  And none of these are "Starbound clones", because Starbound isn't an original idea.  It, as well as Edge of Space and Signs of Life(and a few others which don't take place in space) are Terraria clones.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: December 15, 2014, 10:42:08 am »

In all fairness "I" am still holding Starbound to the original promises it sold itself on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

As for Starbound currently. They are certainly going a different direction with the game that I didn't expect. I kind of wonder what other survival elements they are going to remove from the game. I mean, they could remove temperature and just have it be binary in the sense that if you don't have the warm clothes you can't go there.

It really surprises me because, at least in the start, the game had a very survival feel and I thought it would be something they would preserve. Certainly eating all the time could be exhausting but they could have had a slot or pouch for food that would be automatically eaten.

They are also going down the same tree as Terraria with its "Melee, Ranged, and Magic" split. Which, I kind of thought being a space game would probably make the specializations within the guns and maybe melee. It kind of moves this game to Science Fantasy entirely. Though I guess since Ranged and Magic both use energy now, I THINK the major difference is you can't use magic on the go it plants your feet in place.

I guess what makes it odd to me, at least, is the game started off as having its own unique feel. Then it started to become more like Terraria over time. Probably because the development team didn't want to mess with a formula that works.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:09:41 am by Neonivek »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: December 15, 2014, 11:34:24 am »

New winter trailer showing off some new stuff.  Apparently they plant to release a new version of stable in January.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: December 15, 2014, 11:58:43 am »

Signs of Life looks good (there are some aspects of the art style I like and some I don't, though), but it doesn't look different enough for me to justify purchase atm.

My first Starbound experience impressed me enough to buy the game for 2 of my friends so we could all play together, and much fun was had. It seems kind of silly now, since that first experience was hearing the awesome music as I went down to the planet, cutting down a tree (and being astonished to see it actually fall), and then getting murdered by some alien.

It's been a long time since I've given it a serious session, though, due to lack of time to play and having exhausted the last big mod I got, and thus being out of fresh content. If they've changed the progression system I very much look forward to seeing it, though I am going to miss hunger, for some reason.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: December 15, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »

I don't think I'll really miss hunger that much. The new food buff system they're introducing means that food will be a little more meaningful, rather than a "oh I see my bar is low I'd better shove something down my throat" kind of deal. It also makes food more useful for COMBAT, so people I play with will finally appreciate my weird tendency to become the cook/support role in every game ever.

All in all, I'm liking the look of the update. Can't wait for January.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: December 15, 2014, 01:10:32 pm »

Honestly I sort of like seeing it shift towards a 2D version of the Warframesque runny-gunny-stabby wahooey.

so people I play with will finally appreciate my weird tendency to become the cook/support role in every game ever.
They never will. Nobody respects REMFs even in vidya gaems.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #8369 on: December 15, 2014, 01:21:43 pm »

They never will. Nobody respects REMFs even in vidya gaems.  :P
Except for PoGs.
Related; A surprisingly well written UD page on a variation of the spelling I hadn't seen.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 565