Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944881 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8340 on: December 14, 2014, 05:43:18 pm »

Hey, here's a video made by CF with some of the new features of the patch that is being pushed to unstable next week* . I'm a bit surprised by the ocean stuff, to name one thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sz2zr3pZEo&feature=youtu.be

*believe at your own risk, will probably delay like, a lot

I'm willing to bet we won't see it till at least January, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. Still a bit iffy about the staves but oceans? NPC space stations? HELL YEAH.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: December 14, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »

Still wishing that they'd add official support for player-built ships instead of the sorta hacky mods for it. Really glad to see omnidirectional melee aiming.

It makes me horribly, deeply sad when people humph and moan and group up and whine about starbound, sad to the core.
Not about the game, about the company. The game has been excellent in most respects if it's taken independently of CF and their clusterfuck of PR disasters, delays, &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: December 14, 2014, 06:10:15 pm »

oceans? NPC space stations? HELL YEAH.

Already exist in the nighty :P In fact, my home planet is an ocean planet.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: December 14, 2014, 06:56:31 pm »

Wait, is this pushing to STABLE release soon? That's kind of very exciting.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: December 14, 2014, 07:05:18 pm »

Wait, is this pushing to STABLE release soon? That's kind of very exciting.

Unstable instead of nightly, not stable :P

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: December 14, 2014, 08:12:35 pm »

You know, of all the things in the game, one of the ones I liked most was the coordinate system. It felt like a more intimate sort of sharing DF gen parameters or Minecraft seeds. I'd actually be really interested if they could set things up so that multiplayer servers would generate independent universes as opposed to the identical SP ones, so that coordinate sharing would be a much more community-oriented thing for those.
Actually, this could be quite neat.
I can already imagine a band of players going in a huge quest in search for the secret coordinates to a treasure-filled planet that was discovered by a lone player who left a long time ago.
And now that's my quest if I ever get back into starbound.
Make a massive temple where at the end lies coordinates to my treasure trove.
You know, I hate to be all anti-fun here (even though I've probably been anti-fun throughout this whole topic) but like, why would people go on a hunt for this treasure planet?  There's no cool gear slots, people blaze through the tiers so anything but last-tier stuff is silly and last-tier stuff is already capable of handling just about anything, money doesn't really buy anything.  All I can imagine that players might want to loot from the place is furniture and unique bricks, which presumably would be easier gotten from just running across random world's surfaces and tossing them for whatever surface-swag exists, and I can't imagine the 'adventure of finding it' would be much more interesting, since the majority of it would involve running around your spaceship while the game loads new worlds.  It just feels like so much of the stuff is impactless cosmetic stuff auhh.

On the other hand, I'm glad for the combat update.  Even if staves are still goofy.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: December 14, 2014, 08:34:32 pm »

It makes me horribly, deeply sad when people humph and moan and group up and whine about starbound, sad to the core.

Starbound is fun.

It's vast, huge beyond compare,

There's so, so much to do, So many places to see, So many things to find
So many quirky little lightning-spewing fire-breathing oiks to whack.

I do agree about how awesome Starbound is.  8) And I am also pretty pumped about finally seeing the Nightly turn into an actual new Stable release soon(-ish)™.

Though, I wanted to say this:

As someone who used to participate/lurk on the Starbound forums rather regularly, I can say that there are a lot of people over there who feel the same as you. That is, about getting sad and/or upset at those who "humph and moan" and/or whine about the game.

But there are people who have lost faith in Chucklefish and Starbound for seemingly stopping development.

Let's face it: Eight or ten months is a long time for no updates for a game supposedly still in development (especially since, originally, they promised the game to be finished - i.e., out of beta - with a 1.0 release in 2014). ::) And they have stopped updates. You can't call the Nightly an update, either. It's just a nice teaser. Mods don't work for the Nightly. It's rather broken, too, and some of us can't or won't try the Nightly.

Back when Tiy first announced the possibility of releasing nightly builds, there was a thread to discuss this. Some of us were against the idea because we were afraid that they would use it as a substitute (an excuse) for actual game updates...  :-\

Granted, they have been working hard and their daily blog shows this. But they dropped the ball by being so optimistic as to say it would be finished in 2014.

Also, consider all the other games on Steam and how a number of them have given "early access" a bad rep. For example, look at the user feedback for Space Base DF-9. It had a lot of potential and even garnered a lot of interest and praise. But, instead of polishing the game and fixing the game-breaking bugs, the developer made a final release and washed their hands of it. :(

Aside from the growing (and understandable) impatience, a number of people were/are afraid that this is what will happen with Starbound.

And I feel that people have a right to complain, as long as they're being constructive and staying within forum rules.

But, it seems like whenever someone posts a complaint there, they immediately get harassed by fans who nitpick and belittle their comments and concerns. They gang up on them. But, they're clever and do it in a way that mostly stays within forum rules.

I'm saying that there seems to be a rabid fanbase on the official forums - people who jump on anyone who dares to make a critical comment. They can even make such people feel unwelcome to the point that they don't come back. It's sad, because they're hurting feelings and making a bad situation worse.

BTW: The official forums are in contrast with Steam. There, a major part of feedback seems to be critical or negative.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: December 14, 2014, 09:29:57 pm »

I still can't play nightly, as it still claims to be missing files...  Any advice?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: December 14, 2014, 09:51:16 pm »

I still can't play nightly, as it still claims to be missing files...  Any advice?

Verify your installation. S'what got mine going.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: December 14, 2014, 10:14:02 pm »

And I feel that people have a right to complain, as long as they're being constructive and staying within forum rules.

But, it seems like whenever someone posts a complaint there, they immediately get harassed by fans who nitpick and belittle their comments and concerns. They gang up on them. But, they're clever and do it in a way that mostly stays within forum rules.

I'm saying that there seems to be a rabid fanbase on the official forums - people who jump on anyone who dares to make a critical comment. They can even make such people feel unwelcome to the point that they don't come back. It's sad, because they're hurting feelings and making a bad situation worse.

It's not the fans. I could care less about their rabid fanbase. I have personally had posts I made with legitimate, level-headed criticisms I've made on their forums and on reddit deleted without warning by the admins because criticism was "creating an unhealthy environment" and "instigation".

This is what makes people bitter.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: December 14, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »

It's not the fans. I could care less about their rabid fanbase. I have personally had posts I made with legitimate, level-headed criticisms I've made on their forums and on reddit deleted without warning by the admins because criticism was "creating an unhealthy environment" and "instigation".

This is what makes people bitter.

not only this but the obvious bias they hold for the rabid fanbase.  It's not that they dance around the rules, they completely disregard them because the rules only apply to those who don't constantly stroke CF's ego.  Those who heap praises on the dev team actively go out, flamebaiting anyone with a proper criticism, and goading arguments till the banhammer comes out.  Then they either gloat about it gleefully, or feign altruistic superiority.  Was pretty funny though when they tried pulling that on the steam forums.

As to how great or not the game is...really is irrelevant because there are other games out there which do pretty much the same thing, with friendlier teams that have thicker skins, and actually interact with their fans and customers on a human level.  The gameplay in each is more or less the same, with differences being aesthetic.  The one thing I'll give Starbound over the rest is the art style...but, well, that's to be expected when everyone at the company are concept artists and former mod authors.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: December 14, 2014, 11:19:04 pm »

What other games are there that do the whole terraria in space thing?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: December 14, 2014, 11:43:12 pm »

This is one, but there are probably others.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: December 15, 2014, 12:11:44 am »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: December 15, 2014, 12:28:30 am »

This is one, but there are probably others.
Isn't that the same people?
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 565