Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944863 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8280 on: December 11, 2014, 11:14:52 pm »

Ehm.. I guess if I had to credit them with a flaw it'd be agreeing to early access for a sprawling and essentially random game.. It'll take time to make places in the universe feel unique, and more time still to safely implement any future features..

I'm kind of in a toss-up on the whole "PR" bit.. The "gaming scene" was perfectly fine back in 1988, when I just bought the game at Wal-Mart.. No reviews, no returns, and no internet-all-seeing-eye so I could go get overly involved in a process I provide no physical benefit to.. I never knew the dev team that made Maniac Mansion for NES, but even if it were headed by Jeffery Dahmer it wouldn't change my opinion on the finished product at all (nor would it improve what I think of Jeffery Dahmer, for that matter..)

.. I've had to state a couple times now (around the internets) about how just because a person can grasp the necessary knowledge to cobble together a video game doesn't make them noble and respectful ambassadors of good will (nor does it guarantee they were born with manners or common sense, much less commercial manners and common sense ;) ...)

They've addressed some issues, though: some balance (which can't really be done til all the content is present), the "starting with swords and pickaxes in space!" thing, a "home" setting for marking a planet as your base (and a teleport to it), new features and a set of upgrades for the matter manipulator (plus it got its own separate hotbar slot so it takes up no space now.. The early access has helped smash some bugs, allow the community to provide input, and streamline some stuff (hey, some modders even got their creations added to the main game..).. Its not all bad! And I'm pretty sure it'll end up pretty great by the "end".. But still..

We see too much! ;) Anyway, as I stated in a previous post I am one of those people that's trying to ignore that its early access so that my first major play experience with Starbound will be a fully realized and balanced one, instead of the very early, very incomplete, and very directionless original release (it'll be Q4 2016, if they take their time and make a quality product that offers all that Teureruriua does, and then some.. Toorooria has had a lot of dev time sunk into it..)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: December 11, 2014, 11:17:04 pm »

I spent like 20 dollars or something and got 96 hours of gameplay in.  I think its great, and I think when its done it'll be even better.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: December 12, 2014, 01:08:14 am »

I spent like 20 dollars or something and got 96 hours of gameplay in.  I think its great, and I think when its done it'll be even better.

Ehh that will always be the justification for these kind of games. You will always get 100 hours out of a game like Terraria.

What did this do that something like Minecraft or Terraria didn't?

It is kind of where I turn to Suikeoden 2 versus Disgaea. I played Disgaea probably 5 times longer then I did Suikeoden 2, but when I look at which one I more fondly spent my time it always defaults back to Suikeoden which I consider the better game overall.

It is why time alone is not a good measure of quality or worth unless that is the only measure. Or rather videogames are not batteries.

---

In the end Starbound needs to stand up on its own in the features it offers and the gameplay it provides rather then how much it can stretch out the gameplay.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:39:09 am by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: December 12, 2014, 01:41:54 am »

It does the building aspect better than Terraria, I'd say. So, so many things to place and decorate with! Once I start raking in the pixels, my adventuring is mostly to acquire furniture and interesting blocks.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: December 12, 2014, 01:47:21 am »

It does the building aspect better than Terraria, I'd say. So, so many things to place and decorate with! Once I start raking in the pixels, my adventuring is mostly to acquire furniture and interesting blocks.

Indeed when it comes to just sheer number of environments and objects Starbound has by far the most.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: December 12, 2014, 02:30:12 am »

I spend hours on every world, mining it dry from either a giant fortress made of stone, or a quirky wooden multilevel farm with hanging side-turrets.

I build actual mining pitheads, camp out in a hillside shelter with a little camp whenever it rains, and go on long, perilous journeys on MP to just follow people around playing rock music for them while they fight planetary bosses.

I love this game, and I can't wait for expanded ships so I can turn mine into a manor house, replete with library and drawring room

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: December 12, 2014, 08:29:31 am »

There is actually a mod for customisable ships, though it's mostly just making the ship area one big empty box and allowing you to destroy your starting ship, but it's still cool.

There's also a massive music mod, as well as a Bee mod and a few other things.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: December 12, 2014, 10:55:43 am »

honestly at this point I'm done being miffed/angry/frustrated/what-have-you at Chucklefish for this purchased and am resigned that it'll always be in my library, and hopefully when CF finally does their half-assed 1.0 release the mod community will turn it into the game I thought I was purchasing.

I won't ever purchase another CF or CF published game again though.  I understand games like Risk of Rain aren't made by CF, and they could publish the greatest game since Chrono Trigger, but I cannot find it in me to justify monetarily supporting the actions and character displayed by their team when dealing with their customers.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: December 12, 2014, 10:59:43 am »

The buildaship mod is really good.  I don't really understand why they're continuing with the premade ships when building your own ship is like, the perfect answer to the lack permanence being able to move worlds brings.

Also I fucking loved the horse AI.  I forget where I saw the analysis, but someone looked at it and was like "yeah, in feudal society horses were transport and ships were always 'female'."  I was planning to mod that back, but if it's officially the Novakid AI now that's kinda uh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: December 12, 2014, 11:29:04 am »

I am actually pretty happy that people are starting to talk about what is so good about Starbound in measurements other then Time.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8291 on: December 12, 2014, 12:17:45 pm »

Aw man... Reading all this is bringing back happy memories of the 118 hours I spent on Starbound before I decided to wait for the next stable release. I'm kind of frustrated with the company's unprofessional attitude and general failure as far as customer relations is concerned, but I can't deny that I already got my money's worth of entertainment from the game, even if I was always hoping for more. I'm annoyed that it feels like they're just playing with the game in a totally directionless way, but it does look like they've done a lot to the game since the last stable release, and I'm sure once they finally give us a new release, I'll probably lose at least another 100 hours to it.

I spent a lot of hours collecting resources and furniture to build my nice house. Loved mining, exploring. I never bothered with the unstable releases because I don't like the idea of my saves possibly getting broken. I think I will still wait for a stable release, however long that takes, but I don't think I could bring myself to refuse to play it again, given how much fun I've already had with it.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: December 12, 2014, 12:22:29 pm »

I just tell myself this. There is a reason companies hire specific people to manage PR. Indie devs can not afford to hire employees for PR. I think for me, I can excuse some terrible PR blunders (only some though, there are a few other devs suffering from foot-in-mouth disease that just sort of hit an inexcusable level) if it means we get tonnes of awesome games, and more direct dev commentary. I'm sad it's been this long for another stable too, and I'm waiting as well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: December 12, 2014, 12:30:33 pm »

There is actually a mod for customisable ships, though it's mostly just making the ship area one big empty box and allowing you to destroy your starting ship, but it's still cool.

There's also a massive music mod, as well as a Bee mod and a few other things.
"Just"

That mod was responsible for something like 85% of my playtime in Starbound after I got bored with the annoying, repetitive grind and lack of updates.

Or would that be space plantdicks? Floral no undersssstand.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: December 12, 2014, 12:31:55 pm »

I just wish the placeable engines/boosters worked like they did in Angry Koala.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 565