Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944852 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8205 on: September 14, 2014, 11:15:52 pm »

At risk of beating the dead horse into unlife, I've kinda had that same suspicion after the first two or three methods they came up with (the road map, the other road map, daily updates, weekly updates) at fan communication happened for at most a month and then were abandoned.

The team cannot accomplish what they promise, and we're supposed to just keep assuming everything will work out because... because.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:03 pm »

I honestly get the impression that Chucklefish would rather NOT be developing Starbound they would rather be developing their many other projects. That they were excited and honestly believed in it but then they kept hitting walls and kind of feel like it is just sapping them creatively.

SURE a lot of the slow development is because they worked on having the game playable and thus they are working on stuff that doesn't enhance gameplay so it is painfully slow.

But I don't know... they just send me too many... hints so to speak.

But no there is no reason we should just assume "everything will work out" at this point because their dialog suggests you shouldn't.

At this point we are playing the "Lets hope Starbound is a good game ANYWAY" game... like it was for Terraria or controversially Minecraft.

At least for the people who aren't "It has blocks, that is all I need" but those people would be happy if they immediately stopped development RIGHT NOW! They don't benefit from the game's fully development anyhow.

And this isn't me trying to hate on the game. I am just being realistic.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:27:45 pm by Neonivek »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: September 15, 2014, 03:35:50 am »

As you are with a lot of other games. :p

Apokaladle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: September 15, 2014, 05:18:46 am »

Even with the drama and lack of updates and what have you, I'd probably have played it more if there wasn't so much competition in this genre just now. Crafting/survival games are big in general, and since Starbound's early access release, I've gotten Edge of Space, Signs of Life, Darkout, and Windforge combined for less than I paid for Starbound. The first two are definitely less fleshed out than Starbound, Darkout came out the same day as Starbound and has been massively overshadowed ever since, and Windforge is just odd. Still, I've seen them all update more than once in the past however many months. I know there's also at least one more that I don't have, though it's slipping my mind at the moment. With Terraria still in my library as well, I just don't see the reason to start up Starbound at this point.

I also get the feeling that they are tired of having Starbound hanging over their heads. I suppose I can understand that.

I also think I need a better metric that $1/hr. I've played Starbound for 18 hours, but I don't really feel satisfied with that time. I don't plan on asking for a refund, I just feel like a lot of that time was kind of empty grinding punctuated with finding cool things. My fondest Starbound memory is realizing they actually had a sensible way of placing background objects.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: September 15, 2014, 07:12:11 am »

-snip-
Given that they've started work on another game too, it's feeling like this.

I'm sorely tempted to use my one-time refund on this if it's still pretty bad at release.

I'm interested in learning more about this one-time refund honestly since I'm in the same boat.  There have been more than a few games that have gone on sale I'd rather have at this point(like Kingdoms of Amalur this past weekend).

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: September 15, 2014, 07:38:23 am »

I honestly get the impression that Chucklefish would rather NOT be developing Starbound they would rather be developing their many other projects. That they were excited and honestly believed in it but then they kept hitting walls and kind of feel like it is just sapping them creatively.

SURE a lot of the slow development is because they worked on having the game playable and thus they are working on stuff that doesn't enhance gameplay so it is painfully slow.

But I don't know... they just send me too many... hints so to speak.

But no there is no reason we should just assume "everything will work out" at this point because their dialog suggests you shouldn't.

At this point we are playing the "Lets hope Starbound is a good game ANYWAY" game... like it was for Terraria or controversially Minecraft.

At least for the people who aren't "It has blocks, that is all I need" but those people would be happy if they immediately stopped development RIGHT NOW! They don't benefit from the game's fully development anyhow.

With feedback like this [which is pretty constructive o-o], don't they have the same voices operating on the forums they browse pretty much?

The team cannot accomplish what they promise, and we're supposed to just keep assuming everything will work out because... because.
In all honesty though, that assumption is always for the best as we infer the team will always be working forward and progressing on what they made--that assumption originates from the idea stated here, as well as the unspoken notion of a developer's rule to 'try and learn from mistakes to build the best out of it.'
...Which comes along with feedback. :P

I wonder how they're going though.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: September 15, 2014, 08:28:00 am »

well that AND this is "Terraria in Space" given that the three armor sets are for Ranged, Melee, and Magic.

While I guess I can't say they aren't just copying Terraria, it's not like Terraria was the first one to use that set-up? Like, I'm still super unimpressed with Starbound's balance and pacing right now. I'll give the update a chance, see if they rebalanced things well, and then decide how much I should resent their game design chops.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: September 15, 2014, 08:29:07 am »

-snip-

I'm sorely tempted to use my one-time refund on this if it's still pretty bad at release.

What's this about a one-time refund?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: September 15, 2014, 09:19:41 am »

With feedback like this [which is pretty constructive o-o], don't they have the same voices operating on the forums they browse pretty much?

In all honesty though, that assumption is always for the best as we infer the team will always be working forward and progressing on what they made--that assumption originates from the idea stated here, as well as the unspoken notion of a developer's rule to 'try and learn from mistakes to build the best out of it.'
...Which comes along with feedback. :P

I wonder how they're going though.

Yeah, go take a look at what's left of their forums. They've banned everyone who poses constructive dissent everywhere they have mod abilities. What's left is an entire community who will love them no matter what, eliminating the need for actual feedback. I guess steps like that are necessary when your staff actively trolls its userbase.

Basically I'd love to believe they're learning and growing as a company... but they haven't improved one single scrap of their business practices since debut, so I don't think they'll suddenly start now.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: September 15, 2014, 11:11:36 am »

well that AND this is "Terraria in Space" given that the three armor sets are for Ranged, Melee, and Magic.

While I guess I can't say they aren't just copying Terraria, it's not like Terraria was the first one to use that set-up? Like, I'm still super unimpressed with Starbound's balance and pacing right now. I'll give the update a chance, see if they rebalanced things well, and then decide how much I should resent their game design chops.

Can you name another game that did that set up?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: September 15, 2014, 03:36:57 pm »

-snip-

What's this about a one-time refund?
Steam. They pretty much give each account one refund without any hassle. Any more than that and they start making it hard (oftentimes they have to, though, because of laws. Depends on where you live).

Although, whether or not that'll be possible given how when I ordered it I did so off the Starbound website instead of Steam...

Yeah, I ordered it off their site too, but a refund would really be awesome right now. I haven't touched it since the day after it came out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: September 15, 2014, 03:39:14 pm »

I won't lie if the starbound team offered refunds... I'd jump on it

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: September 15, 2014, 05:04:06 pm »

Rule of Acquisition #1: Once you have their money, you never give it back.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: September 15, 2014, 05:09:13 pm »

That's blasphemy! You'll never get into the Divine Treasury doing something so filthy as giving REFUNDS!

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: September 15, 2014, 07:17:52 pm »

Can you name another game that did that set up?

Their implementations are a lot alike, with the class = armor thing. And I can't think of another game doing that exact mechanic. But I was thinking in terms of the three classes being melee, magic, and ranged, which has basically been classic since first edition D&D.
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 565