Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944660 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8160 on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:14 am »

Snow infantry is tier 1 you just have to kill dozens of animals for leather and build whatever crafting station. Also... there are asteroids in livable planetary atmospheres (sometimes) and asteroid fields in space. I think there's some confusion between the two.
...Asteroids in the sky, you mean?
Any indicators of that? That's new in my eye o-o
Though given the lack of update, that means I'm so outdated, its new.

Need I remind you that they are the same campfires that will happily (and bubblily) burn underwater?

Or am I confusing this with Terraria again?
I think you are, on that part. :P

But I guess they forgot to remember that campfires don't work with oxygen in-lore.
Because we're using alien wood o_o Maybe the wood has..oxygen..in it and..err.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: July 26, 2014, 10:27:57 am »

Given that metal trees give... ordinary wood. Maybe.

I'll just assume that this game runs on Spongebob Squarepants logic.

Mind you I bought the Glitch's logic. In that they are actually simulation robots meant to simulate living beings... and that is why they need oxygen and food.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:31:02 am by Neonivek »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:39 am »

For what it's worth, the game as-is is (marketed as) supposed to be a bare skeleton of how progression should work, with the grindy nature only as bad as it is because all the other content that's filling it out isn't in to hold it up.

There's supposed to be quests that result in discovering the boss you need to finish out the tier, that you find by doing other exploration stuff or something. Pixel costs are supposed to be ameliorated by building housing for NPC's and furnishing them with loot from your travels to have a pixel income apart from those pitiful pill containers and stabbing pokeymans. You're supposed to be able to turn a profit by setting up farms to grow excess food and trading the food at market. You're supposed to be able to plunder the surface dungeons for expensive loot to sell at trading posts or to boost the value of your NPC housing (and NPC vendors you house are supposed to scale their inventory based on the value of the decorations you make for them).

You're supposed to get tools each tier to make everything more fun and engaging. You're supposed to be getting random quests to fill out loot/money/resource concerns. Blah blah blah features blah. The colossal amount of stuff that's supposed to come in to alleviate all the problems the game has that... really isn't getting consistently worked on as though there's a plan to actually finish the game, is what's pissing people off and [RANT EXPUNGED].

Snow infantry is tier 1 you just have to kill dozens of animals for leather and build whatever crafting station. Also... there are asteroids in livable planetary atmospheres (sometimes) and asteroid fields in space. I think there's some confusion between the two.

Yeah I think most of the breathable planets have asteroids in the sky. Start on any given planet and build stairs out of dirt. Keep building. When you start to freeze you're almost there. Keep building. Place some fires. More dirt stairs. Asteroids. Do note that this is actually COLDER than asteroid fields IN SPEHSS so at some point you will need 4 campfires or a nanostove to stand directly on top of or you'll freeze almost instantly in any armor. They're also not as rich as the planet-sized asteroid fields IN SPEHSS.

Given that metal trees give... ordinary wood. Maybe.

I'll just assume that this game runs on Spongebob Squarepants logic.

I've seen some types of trees (on volcanic planets I think) that yielded "metal-coated" wood that was a different texture. They don't drop pinecones so the supply is limited.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: July 26, 2014, 10:34:35 am »

For what it's worth, the game as-is is (marketed as) supposed to be a bare skeleton of how progression should work, with the grindy nature only as bad as it is because all the other content that's filling it out isn't in to hold it up

Yep version 1.0 material indeed :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: July 26, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »

It's been around since the last time I was on Tylui's server at the least.

I remember finding multiple asteroids around a planet ranging in size from a couple-dozen blocks to hundreds of blocks. I also remember going around with another player on his planet too playing around with asteroids. They exist, and in abundance. It's just a matter of getting up there... it's very high up. Plus, they are very spaced out--there can be several screens worth of empty space between them.

And even if you get there, like Darkmere mentioned by god is it cold. I remember being in the best armor in the game yet still freezing very quickly compared to standard asteroid fields. There's also not a whole lot to gather up there, so unless you plan to build up there, there's almost no reason to go up there.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: July 26, 2014, 09:25:12 pm »

Yeah I think most of the breathable planets have asteroids in the sky. Start on any given planet and build stairs out of dirt. Keep building. When you start to freeze you're almost there. Keep building. Place some fires. More dirt stairs. Asteroids. Do note that this is actually COLDER than asteroid fields IN SPEHSS so at some point you will need 4 campfires or a nanostove to stand directly on top of or you'll freeze almost instantly in any armor. They're also not as rich as the planet-sized asteroid fields IN SPEHSS.
Reminds me of when I first found Sky Islands in Terraria...
.__.
Thanks for that.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:47 am »

12/10, GOTY!

*headslamdesk*
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: July 29, 2014, 10:41:16 am »

I think I missed something...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:34 am »

I hate that stick-and-lantern. Is it still the only gear piece to provide illumination around the character without holding a flashlight?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: July 29, 2014, 10:57:09 am »

I hate that stick-and-lantern. Is it still the only gear piece to provide illumination around the character without holding a flashlight?

If it looks so bad, you can always wear another back item over it.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: July 29, 2014, 11:24:19 am »

I'll take that as a yes. And other back items in general have been notoriously hard to find, in my experience. The Lantern Stick is one of the extremely few craftable ones.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: July 29, 2014, 11:25:56 am »

I'll take that as a yes. And other back items in general have been notoriously hard to find, in my experience. The Lantern Stick is one of the extremely few craftable ones.
You can find the recipe for a poison flower thing in poison chests, which can be found in poison biomes.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8172 on: July 29, 2014, 11:36:41 am »

The flower looks worse than the lantern on a stick in my opinion.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8173 on: July 29, 2014, 11:58:23 am »

The flower looks worse than the lantern on a stick in my opinion.
There's a mod lying about that'll let you use a radioactive lantern and metal stick as a back item, "Super Torches" I think.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: July 29, 2014, 06:18:45 pm »

You can find the recipe for a poison flower thing in poison chests, which can be found in poison biomes.
I remember one time having an especially difficult time finding a toxic biome on someone's server, and even if you find it there's no guarantee that you'll get one out of the chests, so that's hardly a easily available alternative.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 565