Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944840 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8115 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:09 am »

Yeah speaking of mining... how do you (the general you, anyone) stomach digging deep? Picks are painfully slow and drills come too late, coupled with the near-total lack of any interesting features below the surface.

I'd rather surface mine a dozen desert planets than grind out carpal tunnel and waste coal/pixels on lighting up generic randa-cave #58291.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: July 25, 2014, 02:38:00 am »

From memory (it's been months since I have played the game) you can chew through snow and slime blocks really, really fast. I just look for and mine through those deep underground.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: July 25, 2014, 03:33:39 am »

I dig straight down to the lowest 1-tick mineable layer, then mine around for a while, then I log out to get back into my ship.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: July 25, 2014, 07:07:00 am »

Wolfeyez and I always mod the mining laser in.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: July 25, 2014, 12:21:00 pm »

Cool. Maybe in another couple of years we'll be able to rebind keys from ingame as well.

That's for the Game of the Year edition.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:58 pm »

Ehh I know how you play. Mostly because Terraria is linear... which is something rather odd to say about a sandbox game... The Sandbox... is linear.

As well Starbound is worse then Terraria because Terraria had the decency to include a back to home mirror.

I never played on medium core in terraria anyhow mostly because I don't need any devices to make me grind any longer then I needed to... that and as I said Terraria has plenty of cheap deaths to go around.

But I will say I could probably build up good gear WAAAAAY faster then I could in Starbound. I actually thought of challenging people to get to tier 4 in Starbound as fast as possible... without killing themselves and without help.

Maybe give a prize... hmmmm.
You're forgetting that you have it better in Starbound because you have a tele-out from any open space on the surface from the get-go, and you have free health regeneration services from the get-go. Whereas in Terraria you need to find a mirror for the tele-out, and defeat at least one boss (and construct a small town) for the Nurse NPC (or rely on found/made potions).
Incorrect on the nurse and what brings her about. Killing a boss brings the dryad over. Using a heart crystal is all you need to get the nurse.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:51 pm »

Incorrect on the nurse and what brings her about. Killing a boss brings the dryad over. Using a heart crystal is all you need to get the nurse.
Oh. Right. 'S been a while since I played Terraria proper. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: July 25, 2014, 02:15:33 pm »

Cool. Maybe in another couple of years we'll be able to rebind keys from ingame as well.

Game of the Years, more like.
._.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: July 25, 2014, 03:02:25 pm »

Which years, that's what I'm asking.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: July 25, 2014, 03:26:41 pm »

Which years, that's what I'm asking.

Due to a time-travel mishap, Starbound: Game of the Years Edition will only have been available from June 13, 1967 through October 31, 1919.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: July 25, 2014, 04:09:55 pm »

You're forgetting that you have it better in Starbound because you have a tele-out from any open space on the surface from the get-go, and you have free health regeneration services from the get-go. Whereas in Terraria you need to find a mirror for the tele-out, and defeat at least one boss (and construct a small town) for the Nurse NPC (or rely on found/made potions).

Unless something hits you in the teleport animation and you end up on your ship, dead.
Also, you regen passively in Terraria and don't need to find and carry a bed around first.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:58 pm »

Unless something hits you in the teleport animation and you end up on your ship, dead.
Also, you regen passively in Terraria and don't need to find and carry a bed around first.
You could still benefit from lugging a bed around in Terraria, along with a door and workbench, seeing as it's convenient to respawn close to where you die.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:34 pm »

The only thing you are looking for on the surface are chests and epic monsters... you will add hours upon hours to your game if you only surface mine. (surface being the first 100 levels)

Well unless you Asteroid mine... which is technically a secret.

Generally speaking in Starbound you do a once around the planet... then you dig deep until you get to the mineral rich layer.
Eh... my strip-mining habits carried over from Terraria. Plus I almost never just dig off into the distance, not without having an escape route secured.

Let me guess, you have 500 hours on Starbound? At least 100.

Or do you only strip mine on deserts?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:39:01 pm by Neonivek »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: July 25, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »

Judging by what is presumably his Steam profile (same name), only 45 hours. Though I believe Starbound can be played without Steam so he might've played a bit more.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: July 25, 2014, 08:32:40 pm »

And he is definitely tier 4?
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 565