Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945013 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8100 on: July 24, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »

http://playstarbound.com/july-24-character-deletion-is-in/

my reaction

Woohoo! Now the game is finally 1.0 production ready release candidate OMG what

I doubt they said that again... chucklefish may be dumb and incompetent but they aren't THAT dumb and incompetent.

Even IF the return of the horse avatar might really be an attempt to re-troll their community (But I give them the benefit of the doubt given the Novakids are Space Cowboys)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:55:08 pm by Neonivek »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #8101 on: July 24, 2014, 10:22:22 pm »

Cool. Maybe in another couple of years we'll be able to rebind keys from ingame as well.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: July 24, 2014, 11:07:47 pm »

To be fair, they are adding things. Deathly slowly.
There's more mob assets from when I last played and the enemy skill repertoire seems to've been expanded somewhat. Worldgen seems less clunky too now.

On the other hand, you now drop all ores and bars when (not if) you get killed. And if you got killed by lava? Or by going out of the world? Or ended up dying in an inaccessible area where it'll take you too long to corpserun before your shinies despawn (because that's not idiotic or anything)? Well, fuck you. What, did you think you were playing a game, for entertainment?
So, it's one step forward, one step back. Thankfully, most of the stupid can be modded out.

inb4 MC does the same thing, enemies don't scale up in MC, and you can control enemy spawns with torches.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: July 24, 2014, 11:16:42 pm »

Until they add that mechanic into the base game I am going to chalk it up to them experimenting.

Yes, I am giving the people who don't deserve it the benefit of the doubt...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53:42 pm »

Eh, I'm assuming all this is the nightlies? To be fair, someone could have just left out a semicolon and didn't add it back in before the build packed and shipped. If it makes it to release... whenever that is... well then yeah it's a shitty idea.

Until they add that mechanic into the base game I am going to chalk it up to them experimenting.

Yes, I am giving the people who don't deserve it the benefit of the doubt...

To be fair, they have been very open about how busted the nightlies will be. Of all their questionable practices that ain't one.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: July 24, 2014, 11:56:10 pm »

Mind you Darkmere if they add in enhanced warp beacons that could let you get home even deep underground, but take... lets say 10 seconds or some amount of time too long to use it as a battle escape... Then the death penalty isn't that bad.

But as I said it seems like a solution to a problem created by an entirely different problem that isn't addressed by it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: July 25, 2014, 12:07:34 am »

Wait a minute... dropping everything has been the default behavior for mediumcore difficulty, or whatever its called. Did someone start a mediumcore character?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:45 am »

Wait a minute... dropping everything has been the default behavior for mediumcore difficulty, or whatever its called. Did someone start a mediumcore character?

Only for the nightly builds. So don't worry.

Also no not "everything" just all your ores and half your pixils.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: July 25, 2014, 01:34:42 am »

I've been wondering the same thing. It's as if nobody here ever played Terraria on anything but the lowest difficulty setting.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: July 25, 2014, 01:35:44 am »

I've been wondering the same thing. It's as if nobody here ever played Terraria on anything but the lowest difficulty setting.

That is because Terraria if you don't get a teleport mirror is pretty vicious and sometimes can just chose to kill you. "Yep lets just spawn a boss"

Terraria became a huge game of cheating the system in the end.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: July 25, 2014, 01:38:16 am »

That is because Terraria if you don't get a teleport mirror is pretty vicious and sometimes can just chose to kill you. "Yep lets just spawn a boss"
* Sean Mirrsen shrugs.

I always played it on mediumcore. Gotta learn to retreat and maneuver. It's the same thing here, just learn to know when to pull out, and be careful when exploring.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: July 25, 2014, 01:39:47 am »

Ehh I know how you play. Mostly because Terraria is linear... which is something rather odd to say about a sandbox game... The Sandbox... is linear.

As well Starbound is worse then Terraria because Terraria had the decency to include a back to home mirror.

I never played on medium core in terraria anyhow mostly because I don't need any devices to make me grind any longer then I needed to... that and as I said Terraria has plenty of cheap deaths to go around.

But I will say I could probably build up good gear WAAAAAY faster then I could in Starbound. I actually thought of challenging people to get to tier 4 in Starbound as fast as possible... without killing themselves and without help.

Maybe give a prize... hmmmm.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:47:02 am by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: July 25, 2014, 01:57:18 am »

Ehh I know how you play. Mostly because Terraria is linear... which is something rather odd to say about a sandbox game... The Sandbox... is linear.

As well Starbound is worse then Terraria because Terraria had the decency to include a back to home mirror.

I never played on medium core in terraria anyhow mostly because I don't need any devices to make me grind any longer then I needed to... that and as I said Terraria has plenty of cheap deaths to go around.

But I will say I could probably build up good gear WAAAAAY faster then I could in Starbound. I actually thought of challenging people to get to tier 4 in Starbound as fast as possible... without killing themselves and without help.

Maybe give a prize... hmmmm.
You're forgetting that you have it better in Starbound because you have a tele-out from any open space on the surface from the get-go, and you have free health regeneration services from the get-go. Whereas in Terraria you need to find a mirror for the tele-out, and defeat at least one boss (and construct a small town) for the Nurse NPC (or rely on found/made potions).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: July 25, 2014, 01:59:04 am »

The only thing you are looking for on the surface are chests and epic monsters... you will add hours upon hours to your game if you only surface mine. (surface being the first 100 levels)

Well unless you Asteroid mine... which is technically a secret.

Generally speaking in Starbound you do a once around the planet... then you dig deep until you get to the mineral rich layer.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: July 25, 2014, 02:05:05 am »

The only thing you are looking for on the surface are chests and epic monsters... you will add hours upon hours to your game if you only surface mine. (surface being the first 100 levels)

Well unless you Asteroid mine... which is technically a secret.

Generally speaking in Starbound you do a once around the planet... then you dig deep until you get to the mineral rich layer.
Eh... my strip-mining habits carried over from Terraria. Plus I almost never just dig off into the distance, not without having an escape route secured.

Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 565