Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944498 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8055 on: July 22, 2014, 06:46:18 pm »

I think that by roadmap, we are less refering to a list of planned features, and more refering to a list of 'this needs to be done so we can get to that' list.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: July 22, 2014, 06:50:20 pm »

But Starbound does have a "road map" so to speak.

If they hit version 1.0 and there is no, terraforming for example...

Do you mean the beta stages? They're extremely vague, and don't really list which features will be implemented when. Have they even been referred to in the past year? They're hardly descriptive enough either for the devs to justify their efforts so far, or the players to use against them to demand more. In essence, they're useless.

Given the recent talks about version 1.0 and work on the Novakids, it seems Chucklefish thinks or at least pretends the game's nearing the end of the final beta phase. The truth is there hasn't been a significant official release in over six months, and back then Starbound's progress since entering Early Access was rather modest. The impression I got and keep getting is that the devs have no clue what they're doing at this point, and just want all of this to be over.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: July 22, 2014, 09:06:50 pm »

The impression I got and keep getting is that the devs have no clue what they're doing at this point, and just want all of this to be over.

Which shows that this is equally a lesson for devs wondering about doing a Kickstarter as it is for players wanting to fund one.

Hype is hella work, especially if you want to do a thing professionally.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: July 22, 2014, 11:59:52 pm »

"Paging Dr. Kyzrati, paging Dr. Kyzrati.  Please report to the Chucklefish Ward"
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: July 23, 2014, 12:02:34 am »

Huh, I was going to say "Actually, they literally do have a roadmap" but it looks like they took that off their website. Some time after the Kickstarter, I guess?

As to the "Novakids start with guns" topic: might be interesting. If Novakids can't make melee weapons you either have a broken experience (guns are too weak/too strong) or a different experience and an incentive to be friends with people playing other races. I wonder what you could add/change to give the other races distinct niches?
Wait what? they removed their design plan to go on all randomon us? I fragging bought that game because the design/road-map was hitting my spot... i was willing to wait as long they incorporate all items on that lisst.. now its gone...

Did i just got chuckled at like a fish? (Pun fragging intented here).
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:27 am »

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:04 am »

so what I'm gathering from Tiy's post is pretty much this "We're done with this game and you lot because we're special snowflakes and you're all meanieheads!  But I can't say that and since we DID get a lot of money from people expecting us to finish at some point, we'll keep up the appearance of working on the game, but with no real planned releases anymore ever, while we rake in more money from publishing more competent teams until the name of Chucklefish becomes a total black mark and ruins their business as well.  So nyah nyah :P :P :P, pissoff ya wankers!"

Maybe I'm cynical, but when there hasn't been substantial updates in going on 8 months, just talk about random features for a couple weeks before talks of new random features and anyone bringing up the old random features gets banned...I'm thinking at this point anyone defending this has a serious case of fanboy stockholm syndrome...but I really really hope I'm proved wrong, cause I threw down my 15 nuyen on this drek too.  At this point the very least they could do is just hand it off to another team, but I suppose that'd take a chunk out of their $10-15 million + profit margin.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:59 am »

http://playstarbound.com/roadmap/

That thing?
This is one of the few *design doc* i saw and there was more. http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-starbound/ . Most of them were also log on IRC on what was to come. But i believe i would be guilty to buy the game before it was officialy *feature complete* instead of buying while waiting for these *goal* to come and hoping they would stick to what they said.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: July 23, 2014, 01:55:20 am »

http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-starbound/

Oh man. Good times. Let's take a look. Of the 26 items on the list, 7 months later parts of the following have actually made it in:

-Biome Hazards (but only meteors and airless planets, so 20% done)
-Monster Generation (though that seems to have been better than what they planned, so I will give credit where it's due)
-Server Controls (kinda. There's a few, I think. And you can get user mods for more!)
-Controls (you can remap if you happen to find the text doc and manually edit that in, as far as I know. The actual UI they posted for it wasn't in last I knew.)
-Pokeballs (you can capture ultra-weak baby mons that die in 3 hits of anything. pokeballs are bugged and you can easily lose the pet permanently. But it's there, kinda)
-Reduced Wipes - Done! We think!
-Other stuff (Kinda done. ish. this is nebulous enough to mean almost nothing.)

So right now there's bits and pieces of a little more than 1/4 of that list actually kind of in the game a little. At this rate, in another 19 months + a few to finish implementing the rest of the list in a janky it's-technically-there way, we can finally move into... playtesting the feature-complete beta and balance concerns.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: July 23, 2014, 02:02:22 am »

This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: July 23, 2014, 02:13:23 am »

It's certainly the right word for a fair number of people's reactions at this point.

Really should just stop checking the thread, as it's pretty much stopped producing any conversation of note or worth regarding the game, but I keep hoping that maybe this time it'll be something besides kicking the dead horse some more. But nope. Kick kick kick.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:10 am »

Eh, no one's stopping anyone from generating the kinds of conversations they wish to see. I'll gladly discuss the game when something worth discussing about it comes up?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: July 23, 2014, 03:06:09 am »

It's certainly the right word for a fair number of people's reactions at this point.

Really should just stop checking the thread, as it's pretty much stopped producing any conversation of note or worth regarding the game, but I keep hoping that maybe this time it'll be something besides kicking the dead horse some more. But nope. Kick kick kick.
Yeah, getting a little tired of "This game has been out of development so long, it now officially sucks and so does anyone who still likes it."

So how about them mods. Let's talk about mods.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:05 am »

There's quite a few, though I haven't played any of them.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8069 on: July 23, 2014, 04:11:07 am »

I like serious's mod pack/compialation. easy set up, and it's not too hard to change if i feel like it
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 565