Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945013 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7935 on: July 06, 2014, 02:54:26 am »

Wow. Is this STILL going on? Can someone please rename this thread to "bitter arguments about Starbound" so I don't keep mistakenly clicking the "new posts" button under the foolishly mistaken impression that it contains anything else?

This is what I see in this thread lately:

People have opinions. Most of these opinions are pretty extreme. A few are middle-of-the-road. Everyone feels it necessary to declare their opinions loudly and repeatedly, especially when someone disagrees with them. Everyone feels compelled to refute every point made by anyone who disagrees with them. No one is particularly open to changing their opinion, no matter what anyone else says.

I really think that every point there is to be made on this topic has been made several times already. The same arguments are repeating themselves over and over and over again. Everyone is just getting angrier and more self-righteous. Even those who are being perfectly reasonable are just repeating themselves at this point. There is nothing new to say. I get it. Everyone gets it. The game isn't perfect. The dev team has made some big mistakes, both with the game and with their public relations. The game is pretty fun as it is. It's not what was promised. They're being very slow about delivering updates. There's a big question about whether the game will ever be finished or not.

I paid $15 for this game and put over 100 hours into it. I got my money's worth. I want it to be better. It's not yet. I'm happy with some things. I'm unhappy with others. Some of the people on the dev and mod teams are probably a bunch of idiots. Some of them are great. I'm going to wait and see if it ever gets finished. There is absolutely nothing I or ANYONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM can do to influence the development of the game, and I have a lot of other games to play while I wait to see what happens.

If this thread has to die for a while until there's something else to talk about, then let it die. But I am absolutely sick of all this arguing and neverending rehashing of the same points over and over and over again. It's tainting the atmosphere of my beloved Bay12. If you have a point that has not been made before, go ahead and make it, but I assure you, every point has been made at this point. Writing angry posts does not vent your anger, does not persuade others, and does not influence the situation in any way. It just makes you more angry. So CUT IT OUT, EVERYONE. You're behaving like a bunch of petulant children, and if it doesn't stop soon, I, for one, will start asking Toady to step in and shut this down. Enough is enough.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7936 on: July 06, 2014, 03:15:15 am »

The discussion on this page of the thread at least seems pretty amiable and friendly though.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: July 06, 2014, 03:24:54 am »

But he is right, the points I've made I'm already repeating, everyone is repeating at this point and nobody wants this to become a bubble for people endlessly voicing their own opinions, no matter how reasonable or understanding they are we do not need to talk about this anymore.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:15 am »

So CUT IT OUT, EVERYONE. You're behaving like a bunch of petulant children, and if it doesn't stop soon, I, for one, will start asking Toady to step in and shut this down. Enough is enough.
I haven't been following this thread very well, but this seems at least as angry and rehashed as anything else so far. To be perfectly blunt, it also strikes me as a little downright thuggish- "I'm sick of hearing you so shut up or I'll call the Toad in." Really? Has anyone in here been uncivil to the point of needing amphibian intervention? Is the thread such a noxious wasteland that its mere presence despoils the forum as a whole? If so, I don't see the point in waiting, call him now and see what he thinks. If not, you probably shouldn't be throwing stones regarding "petulant children."

Post or don't, read or don't, start your own non-negative/developer-talk/extreme-opinion thread if you really have to; it's not like you're the only one voicing this opinion, so maybe it'll catch on. But don't come in here and declare yourself the Civility Duchess, who's got some changes she intends for this rabble to carry out or else.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: July 06, 2014, 04:35:14 am »

o_o
Woah IO, calm down. Sappho was just addressing how the thread seems to be spiralling into ad nauseum. And by that, my guess is the discussion and disappointment at the devs and such and such about the game. No need to poke hostility.

She has a point however. We're not talking about game-related material as of late, but discussing...everything else not game-related (forum quibbles and the state of the devs [which would be useless if they don't hear about it despite how constructive it is :v].

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: July 06, 2014, 04:41:30 am »

Honestly, if anyone wants I could probably just make a thread for complaint about devs in general discussion.
you know, if anyone thinks it's a good idea...
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: July 06, 2014, 05:02:38 am »

Or you could just motion for the thread to be locked until the next big update so people have something new to talk about.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: July 06, 2014, 05:04:34 am »

I'm inclined to agree with IronyOwl. It feels kinda overbearing - we're still on topic, we're still being civil to each other, so who cares if it's being rehashed? There is precious little else to talk about regarding Starbound.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: July 06, 2014, 05:08:02 am »

Thanks Starbound

The Toad's working on the final parts of the release, and I, for one, don't see an issue with the discussion. Let's not get so silly as to calling him into this. There was 500 pages of gameplay discussion, Sappho. Whenever a real release gets made that will be the flavor of the topic. As of now this is the only thing keeping the topic active lately, there *was* a lull in activity in this topic because of a slowing pace of releases and tangible developments to get excited about.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:12:52 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: July 06, 2014, 05:54:37 am »

o_o
Woah IO, calm down. Sappho was just addressing how the thread seems to be spiralling into ad nauseum. And by that, my guess is the discussion and disappointment at the devs and such and such about the game. No need to poke hostility.
Yes, but she was addressing that by telling everyone to shut up and threatening to sick a moderator on them should they fail to comply. That's not what I would consider a reasonable, civil way to go about that.

I'll admit that I probably let too much vitriol into my response, though.

She has a point however. We're not talking about game-related material as of late, but discussing...everything else not game-related (forum quibbles and the state of the devs [which would be useless if they don't hear about it despite how constructive it is :v].
The state of the game is closely tied to the state of the developers, so I'd consider it useful or at least theoretically useful even if they never hear about it. Doubly so if some of said forum issues are affecting letting them hear about it, in fact.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: July 06, 2014, 06:17:01 am »

As well making a "Only talk about the game" topic utterly failed.

Mind you it failed because people trolled it to death... but whatever. (To admit, I thought no one would flat out use it because the game is too early in development and that the complaints on the toxic environment stopping meaningful discussion were fallacious... not troll it and thus prove that maybe they have a point and that it is unfixable because even making a "no dev talk" topic is only met with open hostility....)

Ehh if things don't improve I'll make another in a month's time.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:30:08 am by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: July 06, 2014, 06:44:01 am »

This topic has reached meta-levels of angry discussion.

This is a bad thing.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: July 06, 2014, 06:51:49 am »

C'mon, say it with some vim, Serg. When things reach that level, there's naught left to do but engage in wordplay.

"The horse has been flogged until its corpse is nothing but ground meat, and now the thread is rolling around in the once-equine meat pile like a dog in a huge pile of shit."

See? Something like that. It's even particularly apt since not only is it making a huge stink, everyone involved comes out smelling bad as well! The perfect metaphor. Also simile, because hell yeah let's combine things just to make classification more confusing. And yes, that was self-aware. Terrible need of a shower, now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: July 06, 2014, 10:57:28 am »

Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: July 06, 2014, 11:07:44 am »

~snip~
My thoughts exactly.

>I will reignite discussion about the devs being awful by asking to not talk about the devs being awful.
wat.

And since this is now sufficiently absurd, I shall explicitly state this: Don't talk about not talking about the devs.
Because recursion.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 565