Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945206 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7920 on: July 05, 2014, 08:43:34 am »

The one thing I think we can all agree on is that if nobody heard about all this (like me) they would still think starbound is fine, many marked similarities to terraria but still different enough in its own right like the equipment system, the promised upgrades to the combat system combined with easier placing of blocks and a quest system to help you get started, more variance in enemy types and landscapes with all those aesthetic characters, those unlockable codex entries which is pretty cool and those amazing mods and unlockable abilities, that rail mod that's been introduced and does anyone else think more developers should be like 'oh hey amazing fan of our game! Want us to tell you that your mod you made in your spare time is good enough for the game you love so much you spent time on doing a amazing addition for free *cough*.

What I'm trying to say is that if I never knew about all this bad PR, I would still be loving the game, though it is lacking enough stuff to really keep me hooked for those 136 hours terraria has, Maybe it's the progression that terraria and minecraft has that starbound is trying to get to because it doesn't have that tangible progression that terraria has with that hardcore mode and those characters that actually sell cool stuff and those amazing boss battles and those items that you get, or that warmth of building something amazing that minecraft has.

The updates are pretty slow though, I mean look at space engineers, that game is powering through its checklist and I wouldn't even comprehend how much of a fractal labyrinth it must be to code, but SB is a nice game nonetheless, as long as you ignore the forums anyway.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: July 05, 2014, 02:58:02 pm »

No one talks about the game because there's absolutely nothing new in the game to discuss. The nightly builds have a handful of barely-implemented changes in them if they even work, and that's it. Nothing has been pushed to testing. Nothing has been pushed to stable.

Stores and outposts aren't in. New weapons aren't in (though you can aim a few of the existing melee ones, kinda, which puts the game two notches under terraria). Underwater planets aren't in. Upgradable ships aren't in. Improved farming isn't in. Quest systems aren't in. Content over Tier 4 isn't in. Yet again, there wouldn't be these kinds of drama issues if the game was actually progressing in any meaningful way.

Wow all this raw impatience from a DF forumite.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: July 05, 2014, 03:47:37 pm »

No one talks about the game because there's absolutely nothing new in the game to discuss. The nightly builds have a handful of barely-implemented changes in them if they even work, and that's it. Nothing has been pushed to testing. Nothing has been pushed to stable.

Stores and outposts aren't in. New weapons aren't in (though you can aim a few of the existing melee ones, kinda, which puts the game two notches under terraria). Underwater planets aren't in. Upgradable ships aren't in. Improved farming isn't in. Quest systems aren't in. Content over Tier 4 isn't in. Yet again, there wouldn't be these kinds of drama issues if the game was actually progressing in any meaningful way.

DF is free; it's also developed by one person. Just saying.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: July 05, 2014, 04:01:29 pm »

DF is free; it's also developed by one person. Just saying.
And it also is capable of creating history.

Can Starbound do that?
._.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: July 05, 2014, 04:23:47 pm »

Come on now, is it really fair to compare other games and developers to Dwarf Fortress and Toady? They're one of a kind.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: July 05, 2014, 05:33:56 pm »

The one thing I think we can all agree on is that if nobody heard about all this (like me) they would still think starbound is fine, many marked similarities to terraria but still different enough in its own right like the equipment system, the promised upgrades to the combat system combined with easier placing of blocks and a quest system to help you get started, more variance in enemy types and landscapes with all those aesthetic characters, those unlockable codex entries which is pretty cool and those amazing mods and unlockable abilities, that rail mod that's been introduced and does anyone else think more developers should be like 'oh hey amazing fan of our game! Want us to tell you that your mod you made in your spare time is good enough for the game you love so much you spent time on doing a amazing addition for free *cough*.

What I'm trying to say is that if I never knew about all this bad PR, I would still be loving the game, though it is lacking enough stuff to really keep me hooked for those 136 hours terraria has, Maybe it's the progression that terraria and minecraft has that starbound is trying to get to because it doesn't have that tangible progression that terraria has with that hardcore mode and those characters that actually sell cool stuff and those amazing boss battles and those items that you get, or that warmth of building something amazing that minecraft has.

The updates are pretty slow though, I mean look at space engineers, that game is powering through its checklist and I wouldn't even comprehend how much of a fractal labyrinth it must be to code, but SB is a nice game nonetheless, as long as you ignore the forums anyway.

Come on now, is it really fair to compare other games and developers to Dwarf Fortress and Toady? They're one of a kind.
Fine.  Terraria, the obvious comparison, started in Jan '11 and was released the 16th of May '11, just four-ish months later (though arguably this was because of the early leak of the game).  It was fairly barebones, but in Feb '13 Terraria got the 1.2 update.  I can't say how much of that time was actually spent on 1.2, since they stated development had ceased, bit either way, that's approximately 2 years of development.  According to Wikipedia, Minecraft was publicly released as an alpha in May '09, and hit 1.0 in Nov '11.  Both of these were also small-team projects - at least, initially.

In comparison, Starbound was announced in Feb '12, released in December '13.  It's July '14 now, and what's the game have in comparison?  An expanded, but basic set of weapons, pallete-swapping of a set number of enemy sprites, slightly more interesting (but very laggy) NPCs, an in-game way to change worlds instead of just exiting out to go to another one, more terrain types, a hunger and cold bar... generally, more art assets.  Nothing especially interesting.  It seems (to me, at least) that the biggest thing they've worked on was randomization - of enemies, and such.  IMO, this was not time well spent, as every enemy still feels the same - ground enemies charge me and occasionally jump, flying enemies puke weird projectiles at me, like projectile bloodvomit or rocks.  Sentient enemies shoot guns at me, or sometimes also charge me.  The digmine part is severely hampered by how long low-level mining equipment takes.  The game is horribly dissonant in it's aesthetic - pickaxes and swords when you're got a telekinesis gun and a spaceship with an AI, etc.  One of the main draws, 'building cool houses n' shit', is rendered mostly obsolete by the expectation that you're supposed to be planet hopping.  All the mockups of cool shit they had on the devlogs - that stompy robot, that ship fulla staff n' people - were just mockups, which make me question if they'll ever actually be things in the game - make me question if I even bought the game I was marketed.  Kinda like Spore.

It's not a direction that bodes well.  IMO, far too much time has been spent on things that have added comparatively little to my enjoyment of the game, and everything that is in now is extremely basic and, IMO, uninteresting, and the continued unpleasantness with dev interaction and slowness just makes it feel like they don't know wtf they're doing, same as with the grossly underestimated release date and shit.

Pre-release, I was willing to grant that the randomization feature was possibly bighuge bitch to get working, and that a lot of system bullshit - UI, save structure, chunk generation, optimization, all that behind-the-scenes shit I wouldn't know about and couldn't really observe - might be more complicated or work-intensive to get ready than I'd imagine.  I was willing to concede that such things would need tweaking.  I figured they were building the system and had implemented and planned out allll the shit they'd need to just start filling in content like holy shit.  I was willing to accept that yes, their '1-100' tiering system thing was kinda busted, and needed to be reworked.  That's what beta is for, I guess.

But shit, it was just so basic and uninteresting and plagued with design decisions that didn't seem right.  Monsters had been improved from Terraria by... giving them chargeup animations before they walked into you.  Digging had been made even more annoying by making it take way fuckin' longer.  Every fuckin' starter planet I started on had a goddamn outhouse-to-sewer dungeon, with nothing in it, whose layout was the same, and was essentially one big LAWL TOILET HUMOR.  And regarding one of the bigger selling points (at least, for me, personally) - that is, the sci-fi setting - to start even sorta getting into that shit, I had to shoot the goddamn Independence Day mothership piloted by penguins, with a bow and arrow.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: July 05, 2014, 05:38:45 pm »

It would be helpful if they set up some sort of dead-line...
If half-way watching video game development over the past couple decades has taught me anything, it's that publicly announced deadlines are never helpful. Some internal ones, sure, but I rather imagine they already have those.

Anyone have any interesting news from the modding side of things? Anything neat popped up in the past while?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: July 05, 2014, 05:49:26 pm »

-snip-
I pretty much agree with you on all counts. The entire process of making the game is wishy-washy, and they could be making a lot more positive progress a lot faster. Especially if they agreed to suck it up and just allow the really good community mods to be integrated into the main game branch. The directional melee they're working on? Yeah, that was modded in before they even announced it. More ship options? There are several ship mods already out there.

Now they're focusing on... shops. And little animated NPC heads that talk. I feel like they're trying to find things the community hasn't already done for them just so they can say they did something.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: July 05, 2014, 10:08:43 pm »

-snip-
I pretty much agree with you on all counts. The entire process of making the game is wishy-washy, and they could be making a lot more positive progress a lot faster. Especially if they agreed to suck it up and just allow the really good community mods to be integrated into the main game branch. The directional melee they're working on? Yeah, that was modded in before they even announced it. More ship options? There are several ship mods already out there.

Now they're focusing on... shops. And little animated NPC heads that talk. I feel like they're trying to find things the community hasn't already done for them just so they can say they did something.
I actually think it's good that they're not just stealing from the community (even with said community's permission); it tends to make for awkward potential issues if people start changing their minds later, especially when money is involved and it's not a freeware/open-source/community-sourced project, and there's always the risk of diluting the core team's concept behind the game if they just start throwing stuff in.  I mean, I'm sure that a lot of people *would* actually sign away their work for free, and technically, I suppose they actually already do to a limited degree just by posting it on the Starbound forum (Terms of Service boilerplate stuff; it's actually pretty mild compared to some other places).  That said, I do somewhat wish there were any hint of this core team's concept manifesting itself in the actual game itself, even being pushed to testing in the unstable releases.  It does feel a bit like there's a certain lack of focus - all these neat features being talked about, but they all go off in different directions with different parts of the game, and none of them have actually shown up yet. 

Honestly, I'm still a bit ambivalent.  I don't mind the apparent lack of progress, though I do look forward to some of the new features being released.  Most of what I mind was the hash they made of PR with the community which we've already discussed to death, and don't really need to reiterate yet again. 

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: July 05, 2014, 10:17:22 pm »

Didn't they make it that the game could be easily moddable in the first place?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: July 05, 2014, 10:22:50 pm »

Didn't they make it that the game could be easily moddable in the first place?
Yep, that was one of the design points.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: July 05, 2014, 10:49:48 pm »

Well, I do expect some progress to be made towards the completion of the game I paid for, yes. You act like I demand something impossible when I would have been satisfied with one or two of the systems they've shown and discussed repeatedly just getting put in in a testable form.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: July 05, 2014, 10:55:59 pm »

-snip-

What they should do, as the Skullgirls devs did, is do livestreams of themselves working on builds. That's tangible, credible evidence that work is going on, and the streaming programmer can explain "hey, I'm just working on directional melee/new pokeballs/etc, this part i'm typing in does this, and so on".

That "teaching" process if the programmer explains themselves as they work increases productivity, I think.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: July 05, 2014, 11:17:19 pm »

Omni does stream his coding sessions. It still hasn't actually yielded any tangible progress on the game.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: July 06, 2014, 12:25:10 am »

~snippity~
True, like I said, the game is really bare bones and by now they should have at least something that distances it more from terraria than 'less cool stuff and a sci-fi setting' because terraria had so much shit that could keep me going and then they added more amazing stuff, on some sort of idea that ten dollars worth meant more stuff than some triple A games, looking at the devlogs, the stuff they seem to be planning is awesome but right now it just seems to be more a ripoff of better games than anything else, I like this game and where it could be going but it's too little even for its small price right now.
Also, to prove my point, who knew about king fishron in terraria before you looked it up? And about that one worm that appears with 666 percent bait power that summons him?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 565