Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945068 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7905 on: July 04, 2014, 12:37:13 pm »

Anyone know a better mining t echnique than just digging straight down into a cave and going berry-picking?
Would say best mining technique is to bust out a little modding and make a hyperpick that digs out 10x10 squares at max speed, or something along those lines. S'what I do. Then just run around wildly digging out whatever you run in to. Get plenty of all sorts of material doing that, ayup.

Alternately, aim for planets with plenty of loose dirt -- sand, gravel, whatever. S'much easier to mine those bits out, and there's usually plenty of minerals and whatnot in 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: July 04, 2014, 12:55:18 pm »

I prefer the mining drill/shaft mod. That thing actually makes some sense.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: July 04, 2014, 10:19:03 pm »

I don't even...

Maybe I'm missing something. Are people really mad because of a hilarious animation? It's obvious that a horse with a magical forehead dick isn't going to be canon...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: July 04, 2014, 10:38:46 pm »

I don't even...

Maybe I'm missing something. Are people really mad because of a hilarious animation? It's obvious that a horse with a magical forehead dick isn't going to be canon...

People were groaning that it was going to be in there.

They got mad when people were banned for stating their displeasure and for how Chucklefish handled it overall (They outright trolled their community).

In otherwords it was a minor complaint that through the worst handling possible, exploded into outright riot.

It is kind of like I said earlier... They really could have defused it had the PR manager did the PR manager's job. Even if they as much as said "Yeah we are leaving it in, artistic license" people would have been mad they would have eventually understood.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:41:30 pm by Neonivek »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: July 04, 2014, 11:19:04 pm »

I didn't particularly like the horsetits, but the idiotic glitch armor turned me off them before then so I wasn't playing them anyway.

I am... severely displeased that a company poised to be so successful is pissing that away by acting like children, posting "trolol" at their customers instead of delivering content, and cultivated a very rich crop of yes-men who will shout down any criticisms with mod-backed approval. They had a chance to pick up where Terraria left off, with HUGE player numbers and lots of media exposure. Instead we get a bunch of passive-aggressive douchebags on a power trip.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: July 05, 2014, 12:14:58 am »

Except... the devs are all posting blog updates every day and, presumably, working on the game whilst doing so. To be honest, the reaction to the initial image was little ridiculous. Anyone with a modest amount of self awareness could have seen that. If those actions make you this angry, then maybe just separating yourself from the Chucklefish forums as a whole is a good idea. There's been pages upon pages of griping in this thread alone, with legitimate attempts to discuss the game being instantly derailed into complaints.

Seriously, can we please just leave the drama over there and talk about the game itself here? I've been following this thread for months and I'd like to see more discussions about the gameplay changes in the nightly builds and stuff like that. I don't have the time to test every night, but I know others do and I feel like the PR "situation" is, if you'll pardon the pun, beating a dead horse at this point. Has anyone seen the wiring, lighting, or store changes and, if so, how are they working thus far?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: July 05, 2014, 01:29:16 am »

Yeah. I used to have this thread open all the time when I first got Starbound. But than people stopped talking about the game and started complaining constantly about everything and it turned into this toxic, unpleasant environment that seems to be the new norm. So now I just check in rarely to see if that's stopped.

It hasn't. In months. Kinda ruined the thread.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: July 05, 2014, 01:46:45 am »

Speaking of nightly builds, have there been any? The main fork hasn't seen an update in two months.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: July 05, 2014, 01:48:20 am »

Yeah. I used to have this thread open all the time when I first got Starbound. But than people stopped talking about the game and started complaining constantly about everything and it turned into this toxic, unpleasant environment that seems to be the new norm. So now I just check in rarely to see if that's stopped.

It hasn't. In months. Kinda ruined the thread.

I blame the fact that there has been nothing really to talk about... in months. Nothing has really changed in the game, nothing has improved, nor has there really been any interesting developments. It didn't "Kinda ruin the thread" because had this not occurred this thread would basically be completely unused. Though fine.

Also Kaitol that is what you get when the game is also a kickstarter. The developers are as important a topic as the game itself.

I suggest you make your own starbound topic. Call it "Starbound without the Dev-talk". Heck if no one does, I'll make it. Mostly to prove a point... but still.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:50:52 am by Neonivek »

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: July 05, 2014, 01:53:26 am »

Speaking of nightly builds, have there been any? The main fork hasn't seen an update in two months.
IIRC you need to opt into the nightly builds because they exist simply to show things are being worked on. The thing about the nightly builds is that they are the builds the programmers use to test to see if what they programmed is working right so they are by no means stable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: July 05, 2014, 01:58:49 am »

Done, done the "No-dev topic"

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: July 05, 2014, 02:00:16 am »

No one talks about the game because there's absolutely nothing new in the game to discuss. The nightly builds have a handful of barely-implemented changes in them if they even work, and that's it. Nothing has been pushed to testing. Nothing has been pushed to stable.

Stores and outposts aren't in. New weapons aren't in (though you can aim a few of the existing melee ones, kinda, which puts the game two notches under terraria). Underwater planets aren't in. Upgradable ships aren't in. Improved farming isn't in. Quest systems aren't in. Content over Tier 4 isn't in. Yet again, there wouldn't be these kinds of drama issues if the game was actually progressing in any meaningful way.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #7917 on: July 05, 2014, 02:06:11 am »

Nightly builds can/will break your game, and you'll probably need console commands to get around and do certain things. They're a good place to mess around if you want a bit of an education on the development process and what being a legitimate game tester would be like, but beyond that I wouldn't mess with them.

Honestly I would have been fine waiting for stable updates. An update's a nice treat, they didn't have to go out of their way to show that they're working on the game. Development takes a lot of time, I'm happy doing other things until something stable comes out. But I'm a little more laid back than most.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: July 05, 2014, 04:44:42 am »

It would be helpful if they set up some sort of dead-line...
._.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: July 05, 2014, 05:30:33 am »

I don't even...

To be honest, I didn't really like the horse, but I wasn't upset about it, until the devs started trolling the fanbase, and rubbing it in your face.  Then instead of apologizing, they said it was just a joke, complete with trolo video.  If it was a one day 'joke' it would be fine, but the 'joke' went on for weeks and I'm not 100% certain that it was intended to be a joke, and this is just them backpedaling. A lot of people were banned over this joke, so Chucklefish's reputation has certainly been damaged.

Being in the cooking industry I remember a memorable quote from Anthony Bourdain in response to why Ramsey was so hard on his cooks: "In the cruel mathematics of the cooking industry. a customer who has had a good meal may tell two or three people, but a customer who has had a bad meal will tell 10 to 30 others."

I'm still not upset, just disappointed.  The situation could be salvaged if Starbound started releasing stable updates more often, as a lot of this mess is due to the lack of meaningful updates(March), so there is nothing to talk about, so something that normally would be small became something big.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 565