Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945309 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7875 on: July 01, 2014, 09:57:36 pm »

Well I just deleted Starbound off my computer.

I wash my hands of this series. They can just go marry Capcom.
I'm still upset at Capcom for the whole Mega Man Legends thing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7876 on: July 01, 2014, 10:02:35 pm »

I'm still working very slowly on a mod.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: July 01, 2014, 11:07:26 pm »

I think I've just witnessed one of the worst  PR disasters in gaming history. 

I've never seen the trolling defence before attempted by game devs and mods.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: July 01, 2014, 11:15:40 pm »

In all fairness though Chucklefish already has your cash. They can troll their audience all they want.

It isn't a coincidence that the bulk of this crud came AFTER their kickstarter campaigns finished.

So "Disaster" that hurts them not at all in the least is pretty accurate. People also have short enough memories that by the time they start going "Starbound 2!" people will have long forgot how they act when they know they have your money already. Well if they get that far, they tend to disband after one MAYBE two games.

The ONLY defense I can give Chucklefish is that MAYBE they are just being morons and they honestly think they are being funny. I mean rick rolling is funny right? Flame baiting is funny right? I mean people like DayZ and it is a game that is entirely devoted to trolling people you come across. Yet that is just, fantastically levels of dumb that it makes me question their competency.

I put it like this. If they acted this way before the kickstarter, would YOU, have funded it even if they had a working demo of the game that is AS finished as the one we currently have?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:22:21 pm by Neonivek »

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: July 01, 2014, 11:36:10 pm »

at this point I really wish I could just get my money back.  Wonder if grossly incompetent company that does everything it can to troll their userbase will be a good enough reason for steam

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: July 01, 2014, 11:48:09 pm »

They've always been utter shit at presenting themselves and their product. Always. I went on at length at... whatever minecraft con the reveal was about how they didn't bother to write a script or do rehearsals or put any minor effort into the thing at all. Their presentation was "Uh, here's a game we made and it'll totally be really cool, even though nothing works now. Oh and the demo crashed. Yeah hold on. .... Still holding. There it goes!"

The problem was I foolishly expected them to learn from their mistakes and try to be better (I know I sound like a broken record).

I honestly expect a big chunk of people who haven't been following anything at all until 1.0 to come back not knowing or caring about any of this, and I'm pretty sure that's what they're banking on. Sometime late next year in all likelihood. There's also a pretty decent core of... eh... i get the impression of younger gamers(*) who came in during or after terraria who are hanging on their every word with zealous fervor. There's the core that they will cater to for the rest of their business life... and Terraria has the same type of fandom that will get hyped over a single development sprite preview, blah blah.

(*) I'm not using young gamers as a perjorative; I remember when I first got into gaming being the same way about a few things simply because I had lack of exposure to the industry at large and some of the bad behavior it fosters. That's the impression I get... gamers too young to worry about financial problems this could cause, or the lack of respect it will garner for their "underdog heroes."
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: July 02, 2014, 12:07:47 am »

-snip-
They actually have 3 people as Community Managers including Molly, one is Donna Orlowski and the other is Jehn Tucker (spelled correctly).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: July 02, 2014, 12:27:59 am »

If they ever do offer refunds... count me in.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: July 02, 2014, 01:00:45 am »

The ONLY defense I can give Chucklefish is that MAYBE they are just being morons and they honestly think they are being funny.

Of course they just think they are being funny. What else do you think they are doing, actively trying to harm/offend people? Why would they do that? The fact that they already have your money is not an incentive to troll their userbase, it's only a lack of incentive not to. And they are still selling the game anyway, so they certainly can still harm themselves.

Ultimately, it just seems like a combination of a silly little joke taken way to far and PR people who don't seem to have realized this.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: July 02, 2014, 01:19:33 am »

Ultimately, it just seems like a combination of a silly little joke taken way to far and PR people who don't seem to have realized this.

How will they know how far is "too far" when anyone that may point out what's too far gets shouted down by their forum guardians?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: July 02, 2014, 01:26:18 am »

I love the Glitch horsehead.

It's a horse, and the Glitch are medieval, so a horse would be a very appropriate representation of transportation.  It's female, a reference to ships always being 'she's.  And it looks hilarious.  Much more interesting than... well, pretty much every other AI, but especially the faceless, featureless human's, even if you ignore the fridge brilliance.  Kinda like the Floran's, I think it was, who literally 'hacked' and stole their's with an axe to it's computer-skull.

If they take it out, I'll mod it back in - and probably use it with the build-your-own-ship mod, because the Glitch are otherwise kinda boring, medieval-robots juxtaposition notwithstanding.

I don't know why they just didn't do that - make the ship modular, personalizable, and expandable, instead of setting them all into singular upgrade paths like they're doing.  I guess it was because 'only your homeworld could be affected by terraforming' or whatever?  That's what I thought I'd heard once, at least.  It still seems totally pointless, since you constantly need to be picking up and moving on to tier-up, and all the decoratives are pointless, just for looks, and without function (though this argument assumes they will continue to be pointless in the future, which I think is the case, but not necessarily true).

There's just so much else that's irritating, too - they don't buy into or use their own aesthetic, is one of the most annoying things in my opinion.  Space swords and space axes?  I guess - but seriously, space wands?  Your first item is a high-tech matter manipulator that can chop stuff at range without touching it, but instead of buiding upgrades for it, you make metalier picks and axes - not even sci-fi variants, but straight up picks and axes?  Armor gets increasingly derpy lookin' as you go up the tiers... ughhhhh.  And hell, you start the game with a broken sword - not a gun or anything, but an archaic sword.  Yup, sure is sci-fi.  And you can't make any more, and instead make a bow out of wood - and then iron - despite the fact that your ship is from the get-go capable of 3d-printing.  Which we, already, today, can use to print parts for guns?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: July 02, 2014, 03:40:14 am »

And hell, you start the game with a broken sword - not a gun or anything, but an archaic sword.  Yup, sure is sci-fi.  And you can't make any more, and instead make a bow out of wood - and then iron - despite the fact that your ship is from the get-go capable of 3d-printing.  Which we, already, today, can use to print parts for guns?
We are far more successful with using lathes to make parts for guns. :P
Also, even if you have a 3D printer, a computer to plug it into, and the software needed to print stuff, you're still absolutely SOL without some way to make designs for stuff you want to print. Given that the ship computer doesn't seem to come with the latest version of MatterCAD installed, your only means of making those designs involves already having the object you want, and scanning it - which, given that 3D printing takes a hard-to-accumulate resource, and weapons generally don't break, means that it's far better to just make the things via regular means.

And if you've stolen your ship and ran away from your own people for whatever reason, you're probably lucky to have even a sword.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: July 02, 2014, 03:48:07 am »

I'd expect at least a handgun in the glove compartment.

It's a fucking space ship.

It's going to have a long range weapon somewhere if you stole it, which implies you took it while it was docked and presumably no one was on board at the time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: July 02, 2014, 04:19:49 am »

The ONLY defense I can give Chucklefish is that MAYBE they are just being morons and they honestly think they are being funny.

Of course they just think they are being funny. What else do you think they are doing, actively trying to harm/offend people? Why would they do that? The fact that they already have your money is not an incentive to troll their userbase, it's only a lack of incentive not to. And they are still selling the game anyway, so they certainly can still harm themselves.

There is a difference between "Ha ha ha, we will both laugh about this later" and "Ha ha ha, I made you look stupid!"

I am suggesting that it is possible they thought it was the first one.

they are still selling the game anyway

And got their majority audience, the others won't even hear about what arses they are.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: July 02, 2014, 07:24:39 am »

I glanced at this thread yesterday to see what, if anything, was new, and saw this.

So thanks for that.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:37:03 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 565