Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945013 times)

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7830 on: June 25, 2014, 03:11:39 am »

(driveby flaming removed)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:49:36 am by Toady One »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: June 25, 2014, 03:55:43 am »

Y'all nerds getting way too worked up over a videogame.
Please tell me more about how horseheads ruin your deep, dramatic, poo monster space opera.

Also none of you are shareholders. What the christ made you think you were?

Could you try this post again when you've actually read and understood the thread, please?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: June 25, 2014, 05:15:52 am »

way too worked up over a videogame.
Which just went to remind me, again, of the idiotic avatars some of the mods are using.

poo monster space opera.

Thank you for conveniently bringing up another instance of Chucklefish deliberately antagonizing the community by first adding a poo monster, and when the inevitable backlash hit their response was... adding a BIGGER poo monster beyond the first. Because that's how listening to feedback works.

Also none of you are shareholders. What the christ made you think you were?
As was pointed out in the thread previously by Neonivek, the idea of funding media by kickstarters is specifically meant to reduce the risk of executive meddling and deliver the finished product that the devs want to make, and, this is important, the backers want to have made.

There may not be a legal obligation beyond delivering a finished, working product in these cases, but they have the moral obligation to listen to the feedback given by those who actually fund the project and their livelihood, especially after having promised to do so.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: June 25, 2014, 05:22:54 am »

I'm more neutral on the matter, but it's stuff like this that irritates you:

It would be okay from a user, but this one of the mods, displaying a lack of class.  I'm not upset, as I feel that I got my money's worth out of starbound, but I won't support another of their games again.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #7834 on: June 25, 2014, 05:25:10 am »

I looked thru some of the horse stuff, think its just hilarious how its being taken... then saw the mart pics and had to make this.

Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:04 am »

It would be okay from a user, but this one of the mods, displaying a lack of class.

Worst thing is, it's not just one of the mods, it's several; this makes the issue not an isolated case but endemic.
Again, I will point out that there are good, responsible mods on the forums, but the ones that aren't have equal power and are unrestrained about using it.
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: June 25, 2014, 08:20:36 am »

random desync that even happens in singleplayer

That's quite an achievement. First time I've heard of singleplayer desync. How did they even manage to do that?
._.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:17 am »

random desync that even happens in singleplayer

That's quite an achievement. First time I've heard of singleplayer desync. How did they even manage to do that?

One assumption is that it's trying to gen/load up chunks offscreen; Let's just say that the terrain generation isn't that well optimized, to the point that you can outrun terrain gen and get frozen in the air by jumping into ungenned chunks on mid-spec machines.
Mobs will happily attack you while you're stuck that way, tho, but you can jump out.

The weirdest thing is, you'd expect that to be processor lag, as the game hangs and loads the level, but no, players, NPCs and mobs do their own thing, no frame drops, next to this gaping rectangular chasm of unreality.
Except when they don't. So I don't even.

Edit: Admittedly, I'm pretty sure this did happen in Terraria too, but that was serverside exclusively iirc. I do remember this one time where I was happily hopping through what was thin air on my screen and constantly clipping through this one Blood crawler that, on another player's screen, was still chasing us down, utterly creeping him out.
And the issues with worm heads not dying on some players' clients, fighting them after the things had been killed.
So that game also had its fair share of problems, some of which might have been inherited.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:45:02 am by Something Evil »

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: June 25, 2014, 09:10:12 am »

It would be okay from a user, but this one of the mods, displaying a lack of class.

Worst thing is, it's not just one of the mods, it's several; this makes the issue not an isolated case but endemic.
Again, I will point out that there are good, responsible mods on the forums, but the ones that aren't have equal power and are unrestrained about using it.

At least 2 have it that I know of specifically, Eonwe and Sledra

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: June 25, 2014, 09:15:00 am »

Also Tiy made a Reddit post about why they chose not to announce anything about Bartwe's departure:
It's very unusual to make staff changes public, largely because it's a very personal matter for the people involved and as such we decided to allow Bartwe to announce it in his own time. Which he did.
They also purportedly signed on another 2 programmers and 2 artists unannounced. While I have no idea if not announcing staff changes is a common business thing, I think that when you're a (seemingly) small indie company, telling people one of your programmers left and you got another two to help pick up the slack sounds like a good idea to me.

(Disclaimer: I have next to no business sense and have barely been following Starbound since at least 2 years ago please don't shoot me)

It is, actually, standard industry practice to announce team changes extremely soon after they're made. For instance, when Blizz axed the dude that made Warlocks interesting and (arguabily too) powerful for running off at the mouth, the announcement was made immediately. Likewise, when the Halo composer got the axe, that was also made public extremely quickly.

Chucklefish just seem to like having control of information to an alarming degree.
Someone in the game industry here: that's not true at all. The only reason you ever publicize it is when A: the person is run out of town for raising a stink with the fanbase, or B: they do something irreplaceable or which would otherwise be noticed immediately by the fans. Lots of people come and go all the time in the game industry, and most of those comings and goings won't have any noticeable effect on the end product, and so aren't noted by the dev company. Despite the fact that this industry has pretty high turnover rates at a lot of companies, no one wants to be the first to admit that fact. It doesn't make them look good, and there's no really good reason to publicize it, so why bother?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: June 25, 2014, 10:20:20 am »

Yay internet drama!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #7841 on: June 25, 2014, 10:47:01 am »

I'm surprised that I have to post this but:
A) Don't Feed The Trolls.
B) Shilltroll is shilling.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: June 25, 2014, 11:08:53 am »

snip i dont want another warn
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:39:29 am by FritzPL »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:52 am »

I'm surprised that I have to post this but:
A) Don't Feed The Trolls.
B) Shilltroll is shilling.

Yeah, you could get people like [REDACTED] coming in this thread and voicing their "opinons".

Yeah. Some people. Keep this stuff at CF, thanks. Attempt to antagonize people who disagree there. It's one thing to disagree with reactions, it's another to hand wave them in favor of personal bias [for whatever reason there would be one].
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:23:38 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: June 26, 2014, 09:36:53 am »

Soo...

Have they fixed the lift?
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 565