Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944825 times)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7755 on: June 22, 2014, 09:38:28 pm »

The problem most people have had with the Glitch AI is how utterly derp it looks; there have been posted several suggested substitutes by one of the forumites on the CF forums, complete with stern-looking robot horse.

However, now for some real fun.
Have some moderator power tripping:
http://puu.sh/9FXsG/db5aa8a390.png

http://puu.sh/9FY8A/e5b2ca7463.png
I post on his personal page asking to explain why he decided to ban that user, he basically replied that he doesn't have to justify himself and subsequently deleted the comment, and subsequently banned me.

http://puu.sh/9FYvG/b28c806942.jpg
Apparently, not sucking up to Eonwe is a bannable offense.

Was wondering what that whole self justification rant Eonwe went on was about.  There was awhile there when Eonwe and Sledra were trying to flamebait me into blowing up, you could almost sense the desire to ban oozing through the screen especially with Sledra.

As to the topic about the AI, it's not that it's a horse, or that it has boobs.  It looks ridiculous, and when people pointed it out that it looked ridiculous, especially in reference to being the Glitch AI, they were trolled, flamebaited, and ridiculed by other forum users, the moderators of the forums, and the Devs themselves. 

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: June 23, 2014, 12:31:32 am »

Even tho B12 can be considered as a gang of crazy drunken dwarf.... not listening to our emissary is most of the time a bad idea... it clearly shows weakness on their end or problems. I mean, we might be crazy but we are a good kind of crazy who normally know what they are talking about and 90% are guenuinly concerned about some disturbing behavior.. ( Note that using a battle-born baby as meatshield IS acceptable. Mods flamebaiting and going powertriping on the other hand... is... disturbing ).
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: June 23, 2014, 12:51:02 am »

I have a feeling that a significant number of people don't really care all that much about the horse thing, and that presenting it as a "players vs the devs" things is a bit misleading.

Personally, I don't like it (it looks silly and dumb), but ultimately I don't really care all that much about it.

Banning reasonable criticism is a pretty bad thing to do though.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: June 23, 2014, 03:07:34 am »

Was wondering what that whole self justification rant Eonwe went on was about.

Who with the what?
Now you've got me intrigued.

Also, *fistbump*
Didn't know you had an account here. You made some fairly good points in the Glitch AI thread, not that the yc[whatever else] dude was too good with the comprehension thing.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: June 23, 2014, 03:58:51 am »

I, personally, don't give a rat's ass about the Glitch AI. Oh, it's a horse with tits. Doesn't matter that much, at least, not to me.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: June 23, 2014, 04:21:35 am »

As many people have pointed out, it's not "it's a horse with tits" that gets a lot of people. It's the fact it looks like it has terminal MS.
Which just makes it even more brilliant when a random user, within something like half an hour, posts this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
as replacement art assets.

Instead of, y'know, creating ingame art assets that deride part of the community and going out of their way to rub salt in the wound like the devs have done.

Edit: I only have a direct link to that particular image posted in the thread, not an actual saved file or offsite copy, so those without accounts on their forums (or banned accounts) won't be able to see the image. It's basically a robot horse lady looking stern.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:24:01 am by Something Evil »
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: June 23, 2014, 05:14:27 am »

Oh, I diddn't think of it like that.

Yeah, that would make changing it sound like a pretty good idea.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: June 23, 2014, 09:52:11 am »

Was wondering what that whole self justification rant Eonwe went on was about.

Who with the what?
Now you've got me intrigued.

Also, *fistbump*
Didn't know you had an account here. You made some fairly good points in the Glitch AI thread, not that the yc[whatever else] dude was too good with the comprehension thing.

I've been here for awhile, I just tend to lurk unless something particularly gains my interest.  Commented a bunch on Meph's Masterwork mod(before it became too confusingly large for me) and a fair bit on Deon's Genesis mods.  And thank you :) I was being as civil as I could with people willfully not accepting and openly mocking opposing opinions.  And all the justifications they came up with why it fit really was just grasping at straws. 

As to the AI, there's a lot of insincerity going on from those defending it on the Chucklefish forums, trying to paint this picture that those who don't like it are just being nitpicky at best and kicking and screaming monsters at worst.  And yes they were purposefully going out of their way trying to bait people to promote that image.  Honestly if you go read through the thread page 34+, you can definitely see where it goes from reasonable discussion to Chucklefish's cheerleaders coming in purposefully trying to derail the topic through passive aggressive attacks and willful refusal to accept other posters opinions.  And yes, opinion is the right word, because the whole point of the thread was for people to voice their opinion on why they don't or do like the AI.

Then on the main page you actually have dev's going out of their way to poke fun at people who don't like it, posting pics of their test characters wearing horsehead masks(while repeatedly saying that it's not a reference to the horsehead mask meme).  Saying things like they've decided to make all the AI's anthro animals with tits(though I didn't see one person who voiced that they didn't like it say that it was the boobs or the anthro aspect they didn't like so much), injecting into the nightly builds a hidden picture of the AI in question giving the users a raspberry.  Then mods and users changing their avatars to pictures of a horseheaded chick saying "Y U GET MAD AT VIDEOGAMES?!" or something along those lines, belittling those expressing their concern...in a thread asking for them to do just that...all the while ignoring the fact that it's not the AI or the game they're getting riled up about, but how they're being treated just for giving feedback.  It's just a poor and childish way of handling a business, and at this point it'd probably be in their best interest to hire a real PR manager instead of trying to have Molygos do it, because it's obviously not what she should be doing for work.

Edit: I will go out on a limb and say this though, one of their mods, Izzabelle, was really awesome.  I kind of feel bad for him/her because they not only had to deal with unruly forum goers, but other mods as well.  If they had more mods like this, it'd do a whole helluva lot to dampen the reputation their forum mods have been gaining throughout the rest of the internet for CF.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:55:39 am by corrosivechains »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: June 23, 2014, 10:28:14 am »

Izzabelle does, indeed, seem reasonable, as does the mod with the iirc Terraria Tailor icon.

The dudes with the horsehead avatar are, however, just perpetuating the discontent, and Eonwe in particular has all the markings of a badmin; I've seen discussions about his failings as a moderator in the starbound reddit as well, so it's not like it's not a known pattern.

And I mean, it's not like they can't HIRE people for PR. With MONEY. Which they're still making while selling a woefully inadequate product.
I'm still angry at the game eating my epic quality tesla spike because it can't handle a large number of items in one spot.

Also, could you, by chance, point to the exact file with the hidden raspberry-blowing AI image?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:39 am »

So, if one was to compare the minecraft forums with the current state of the chucklefish forums, would starbound be better or worse?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:31 am »

The minecraft forums are rampant with petulant 12 year olds that constantly get into flamewars, as are the Chucklefish ones, and not sucking up to the Minecraft moderators and modders is also a bannable offense, as apparently is in the Chucklefish forums. So for that they're mostly tied.

However, Mojang is not actively trying to antagonize part of its playerbase (not anymore, at least), so they have that going for them at least...

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: June 23, 2014, 01:32:15 pm »

Doesn't help that Bartwe jumped ship a few months ago now.

I think his post about it is more out of professionalism than anything else, though. Although losing a major coder is something pretty news-worthy, especially for a small team.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: June 23, 2014, 01:37:20 pm »

Doesn't help that Bartwe jumped ship a few months ago now.
From what I see, he was merely retiring from Starbound.
Not "jumping ship" as you say.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: June 23, 2014, 01:41:14 pm »

Considering he's moved onto working on his own voxel game (and started in at least April)... yeah, I think he jumped.

Maybe that's just frustration at the way the game's been handled, I don't know.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: June 23, 2014, 01:42:35 pm »

Figures that the classiest post I've seen from CF is from an ex-employee. From what I saw he was one of the most competent people there who didn't indulge in much bullshittery, so it's a shame things didn't work out. They could learn from him, but probably won't.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 565