Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945087 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7665 on: June 20, 2014, 06:16:10 am »

Pleasing the fan base is not easy.
Unless you were just mentioning that and not arguing using it, in whichcase I apologize for the big rant! :P
Well obviously I was simply mentioning that with no intent of arguing. :p
I'm too lazy for arguments.

My apologies then!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: June 20, 2014, 06:19:49 am »

Pleasing the fan base is not easy.
Unless you were just mentioning that and not arguing using it, in whichcase I apologize for the big rant! :P
Well obviously I was simply mentioning that with no intent of arguing. :p
I'm too lazy for arguments.

My apologies then!
No need to apologize twice. I accepted it the first time.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: June 20, 2014, 08:15:45 am »

Someone reading the actual ridiculous thing wrong.

They're planning on having ship AIs with holographic avatars. Wise old Hylotl, generic computerized human, cybernetic avian crystals, Big Ape, etc. But for the Glitch, they have...

...this, probably a reference to the horse mask meme.
I feel my IQ dropping just by looking at that image.

I think including memes into games and references in general are detrimental to the current generation game quality.
._.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: June 20, 2014, 08:22:33 am »

My suggestion for a different one.

Robot pope.

Much better idea that can be humorous if you want it to be.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: June 20, 2014, 09:13:23 am »

I think including memes into games and references in general are detrimental to the current generation game quality.

I don't agree

But think of it this way instead. You need to get to the middle of the game and read through someone's journal in Castlevania Lord of Shadows to get a "The Cake is a lie" joke.

This Horse face meme spouting avatar? The first one as a glitch (so far)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #7670 on: June 20, 2014, 09:26:19 am »

If I had to hazard a guess, it was to set the glitch apart from the other races even more. It would have been redundant (If sensible, given their history) to have a robotic depiction of an AI, so they got together and said, "So what can we give the glitch?"

Someone said "A horse with boobs!" and an AI was born.

I'm sure there will be an in-game reason why they have a woman with a horse head as their AI. I don't see any problem with it. The glitch are a quirky race, let them have quirky things, even if those things are jokes or memes.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: June 20, 2014, 09:27:55 am »

I actually would have liked the AI that is basically a very generic AI with swirly eyes.

That would have worked quite well with a glitch and would have been a funny joke.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: June 20, 2014, 12:23:27 pm »

I think that there's a very large difference between a reference and humor/spoof. Take Magicka for example. There are an absolute crapload of cheesy references and jokes. The giant spider boss fairly early on is named Parker, which obviously is a nudge at spiderman, and overall wasn't too funny. When Vlad is steering the airship before busting open the captain's door yelling "I sense a great distubance in my town! Take the helm!" and then throwing himself off the ship was much funnier, partly due to his delivery and an ever so slight bit of subtlety, as I had to think on it for a second before realizing what he was getting at. The horsetits, Parker, and also Castlevania there are just kind of there, waving their metaphorical hands and saying "Look at me! I'm a joke, pretty funny right? No really, laugh with me!"

tl;dr References are funny when they aren't trying to draw attention. I'm not arguing for either side on the Chucklefish PR ordeal, just on referential humor in general.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: June 20, 2014, 02:59:32 pm »

IMO, Memes and references don't automagically detract quality, they do that if you do it wrong. Which is a lot easier than doing it correctly.

And CF is pulling a drawn out PR suicide that they don't seem to be doing much to avert.

Well what is the community going to do? Ask for refunds? Good luck.

They got your money they can do what they want, and all their other projects are ALREADY funded.

It is less PR Suicide so much as they are starting to take lessons from EA in the "You hate this? well too bad" category. Which will hurt them in the long run... but they are an indie company, they tend not to have a long run.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: June 20, 2014, 03:06:17 pm »

IMO, Memes and references don't automagically detract quality, they do that if you do it wrong. Which is a lot easier than doing it correctly.

And CF is pulling a drawn out PR suicide that they don't seem to be doing much to avert.

Well what is the community going to do? Ask for refunds? Good luck.

They got your money they can do what they want, and all their other projects are ALREADY funded.

It is less PR Suicide so much as they are starting to take lessons from EA in the "You hate this? well too bad" category. Which will hurt them in the long run... but they are an indie company, they tend not to have a long run.

Man I -wish- Indie companies had long runs. Good ones, anyway.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: June 20, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »

Honestly what they DO have is a very adamant group of people who will defend every decision they make, no matter how ill-advised. Part of the problem is anyone who disagrees, be they legitimate concerns or not, is shouted down very loudly by the group that thinks nothing can possibly go wrong. And a group of people who can't be sensible in criticism and just come off as dicks.

There's also a huge number of people who will just forget about the whole thing and come back on release after all this has been swept under the rug who won't know about it, or care about abusive policy. Either way I think CF has squandered a lot of their goodwill and shows no interest in regaining any of it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: June 20, 2014, 03:49:13 pm »

Honestly what they DO have is a very adamant group of people who will defend every decision they make, no matter how ill-advised. Part of the problem is anyone who disagrees, be they legitimate concerns or not, is shouted down very loudly by the group that thinks nothing can possibly go wrong. And a group of people who can't be sensible in criticism and just come off as dicks.

There's also a huge number of people who will just forget about the whole thing and come back on release after all this has been swept under the rug who won't know about it, or care about abusive policy. Either way I think CF has squandered a lot of their goodwill and shows no interest in regaining any of it.
That's called "group thinking" and it is one of the reason why modern physicists still cannot combine relativity and quantum.
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: June 20, 2014, 04:08:46 pm »

Not really. It's just human nature to do "group thinking". People gonna people, even if it's dumb.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7678 on: June 20, 2014, 04:20:07 pm »

The ultimate issue is that they either don't seem to be aware that the majority of people are defending them because of the enormous circlejerk going on in the official forum, like every official forum ever, or they just don't care and don't realize how damaging that can be to a dev team and community, and continue to enforce it.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: June 20, 2014, 04:23:22 pm »

Let me start by saying Chuckelfish is really f#cking up. Now let me add to that by saying it's really become painful to be a developer. There are a lot of really repugnant human beings out there with nothing but vitriol and hate to spew. I have been working with @10 different devs in the last 18 months and most of them are really good people who just want to make gamers happy. Yet not a single day goes by without them getting messages, public and private, saying things like "Your game is sh!t! It's a ripoff of Qbert(or whatever ridiculous)! How dare you charge $5 for a game that has bugs in it! You should kill yourself! I could make a better game in my sleep! You must be retarded to think this is good. Try making something original!" Etc etc etc  Of course all have every other word misspelled, include obscenities all over the place. It seems silly, but all of this really hurts people. The worst part is the people who write this honestly think that the world needs their opinion. They have never accomplished anything in their lives, yet they try to attack others who are brave enough to share publicly. It's an epidemic and it leads to devs who really stop liking their audience, just because of the vocal minority who bully reasonable posters. It is having an effect on the industry and it's not good.

That being said, I am and always will be a customer advocate and I believe in providing excellent service and value even above making a profit. If doing the right thing means you went out of business then you obviously weren't doing well. Chuckelfish has damaged their image now and hurt their future income. They haven't just devalued their own brand as developers, but they hurt those whose games they publish as well. The two publishers I am talking with are protecting their good name like a mother badger and wouldn't even consider putting their name on my game if it wasn't at least as good as their own or a good value for fans. That's respect! That's good business. Not this Chuckelfish sh!t.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 565