Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944852 times)

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7620 on: June 18, 2014, 06:10:11 am »

I feel like what people were actually getting at with the pictures was that it was proof of them wasting time in office, and... well... that's not incorrect?

If it wasn't for "wasting time in office" I'd probably never read these forums.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: June 18, 2014, 06:41:29 am »

the company's "full time PR manager" plays in the trash can instead of doing her job.
Apropos of nothing, per se, but it's always kinda' amazed me someone taking a few minutes out of their day to play around is collated with not doing their job. It's just... the weirdness of it. A person sees probably less than 5/96th (five minutes of an eight hour day) of a single day and goes on to extrapolate that's representative of the other 89/96ths of every other day. Or even that one day. Or something along those lines. Bloody odd, and I guess one of the driving forces behind the royally screwed up views a lot of management type folks have about productivity.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: June 18, 2014, 06:43:12 am »

It's like people forget that game developers are human.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: June 18, 2014, 07:10:16 am »

Or that maybe, just possibly, it might have been done during that person's lunch/break.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: June 18, 2014, 07:39:51 am »

Honestly all Chucklefish needed to say on the subject is "What? Do you work through your breaks at work?"

the "pictures of them not working" being criticized really doesn't count as work negligence for me. Especially when I've seen much more prominent non-indie developers do the exact same thing.

HECK I think it was the Lionhead team that for april fools added Waldo to a bunch of their development pictures.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: June 18, 2014, 07:44:31 am »

So, why is this game not terraria 2?
._.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:53 am »

Because it's made by a different company.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: June 18, 2014, 08:18:11 am »

But aren't they going on the same path as terraria did?

You know, it really shouldn't surprise me that they're heading down even worse paths than the Terraria team did.
The second you censor complaints or attack your customer base is where I get concerned.

And that is what bothers me most. I'm deciding whether this should be forwarded to a different sub outside Chucklefish purview, even though I know it would just make them ignore it harder.

EDIT AGAIN: And that's two deleted threads for the day. The second was a guy asking for rule clarifications. I admit his phrasing was a bit coarse but only with sarcasm, not personal attacks. The thread's now gone. This is getting worse than Terraria, as I've seen Tiy call a poster an idiot and Molly talk about some tree looking like dildos, but being a wise-ass non-mod gets threads removed. I really had hoped it wouldn't come to this level of internet dumb. I'm done tattling though, deleted the game for a while to cool off.
._.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: June 18, 2014, 08:55:05 am »

If you watched the twitch release of the initial game it was almost nothing but ascii doge flood and absolutely zero effort on the part of Chucklefish to stop it. Chat was useless. That's about as unprofessional as you can get. It wasn't even funny, except to about half of Chucklefish. It got old and annoying very quickly. Did anyone have a serious question that day? Who knows. The only answer was doge. Not really the best start for them unless you're a prepubescent boy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: June 18, 2014, 08:57:14 am »

But dude don't you watch Twitch plays pokemon? That is what makes it cool!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:11 am »

Dude. No. Just no. That ain't cool, man.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: June 18, 2014, 09:43:59 am »

I'd like to clarify my views on the silliness thing. I absolutely love humor and silliness in games and among developers. The guys from MinMax (Space Pirates and Zombies) take time to cut up with the fans sometimes. Gaslamp's nonstop humor is one of the reasons I keep following them.

The difference is those companies are honest and competent at dealing with actual business and customer relations matters.

If Chuckelfish were actually managing complaints, meeting some kind of sane update schedule, or doing anything besides throwing fits and banning critics I'd be completely fine with some chicanery. As it is, all I see is the same poor policies and rage, plastered over with "lolzy" antics as a shield to imply them having a sense of humor is excuse enough to not be better at their job.

It really doesn't help that they're surrounded by Terraria-like yes-men who see them as completely infallible and do think mass-banning critics is a legitimate practice.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: June 18, 2014, 10:13:43 am »

I'm actually not surprised by Chucklefish's meltdown, and kinda feel for them. Starbound had a record level of hype, and there were a good couple years where the dev team could do no wrong in the eyes of the fans. Sometimes press like that can go to your head.

They've forgotten that you need to earn loyalty everyday, and you can't just coast on loyalty you've previously earned (unless you're Blizzard). They're making the classic mistake of believing that because everyone loved them before, anyone calling them out now must be a troll.

Chucklefish needs a reality check. They're acting like rock stars and need to get humble before the community goes full Cube World.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: June 18, 2014, 10:28:58 am »

Cube World though somewhat does and doesn't deserve their criticism. Though I feel bad for buying that game out of guilt for criticizing it so avidly.

It does take genuine skill to keep your cool as a creator, I should know quite a few of my favorite creators had a meltdown or two. (The worst are ones that are their fault, but they chose to get mad at the community for getting mad anyway. Such as when they leave for months on hand, give no indication of what their progress is, and then are surprised that people are getting antsy)

Chucklefish needs to sort of sit back and have their PR manager deal with the community.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: June 18, 2014, 10:51:11 am »

Chucklefish needs to sort of sit back and have their PR manager deal with the community.

I'm sure the complaints will subside if they worked on the game as opposed to PR.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 565